Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Skye Ale | Cuillin Brewery

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by foamer on 05-04-2005

Reviews by foamer:
2.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear chestnut brown with a thick white head which leaves some nice lacing. Malts in the nose with some buttery diacetyl notes. Whoa. A big wallop of butter in the taste with some malt and very faint hops in the background. Butter dominates, it's almost out of control. Not a fan. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel though. If you aren't sensitive to buttery diacetyl then you may enjoy this beer, although I am not a fan.

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

1.97/5  rDev -35.8%

I am always willing to try new beers, especially from Scottish brewers. When I discovered this small brewery on Skye (I live on the nearby Isle of Lewis) I looked forward to sampling a few bottles.

This beer poured into a pint mug a dark brown colour with a large off white head that eventually settled. However this was as good as it got.

The nose was pretty non de script. A few mild notes of hops and malts, but very disappointing.

If the nose was disappointing, the taste was even more of a let down: welcome to blandville. This beer had no taste whatsoever, if someone had blindfolded me I would have said that it was a watered down lager I was drinking, very faint hint of hops and absolutely nothing else. The mouthfeel was also very thin and watery.

This started so well, it poured a nice colour, but I have never tasted a more bland beer. If you wish to take a picture of a good pint then this is the ideal candidate, but not worth trying in bottle. I would be interest to taste the cask version.

4.11/5  rDev +33.9%