Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Old Miser | Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store

franklinsbrewery.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by drabmuh on 02-02-2011

3.09/5  rDev -7.8%

Got this beer at a judging competition I helped run. Let's give it a go.

A: A very dark brown color with a 1 inch tan head that fades at a decent pace. Good.

S: A slight vegetal scent upfront followed by a hint of light malt. A very faint roastiness on the back. Eh.

T: A watery roast upfront quickly followed by a slight tomato juice flavor in the middle. A mild maltiness on the back. Ok.

M: Medium body with a good carbonation. A watery malt finish. Decent.

O: All in all, this is an ok beer. There are many better in the style. Don't worry about this one. There are too many odd flavors floating around in this that don't serve it well.

3.15/5  rDev -6%

Beer is amber with a slight haze to it. Thin broken head of small bubbles that leaves no lacing, carbonation low.

Aroma is strong with bananas and other esters, perhaps some bubblegum.

Beer is medium to light in body, pretty sweet on lead off and finishes with this blank bitterness rather dry. The midpalate is a collection of yeasty esters that gives the whole beer this artificial sweetner flavor that I find, personally, rather off putting. It's too fruity, too ester, for a winter warmer (or and Old Ale) and I doubt I'd drink it again. Pull back on the ABV, add something interesting other than some esoteric yeast and relaunch. I'm rooting for you Franklin's but this was a miss.

3.33/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I can't say I would want to drink a ton of this, and even a whole glass might be too intense. But is certainly a creative and tasty brew. It has the smell, flavor, and even consistency of a really sweet, moust, rich banana bread, or even cake. The thick texture and sweet banana flavor get too rich after a while and stick in your mouth for a loonng time. Some spices add an interesting dimension,and I would gladly try a taster of it again, but a pint is too rich for my palate.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had at Franklin's on a cold winter night. Figured this would warm me up. Has a murky dark brown color, like swamp water. Smells mainly of malts. Taste is slightly boozy and has a taste reminiscent of cola or Dr. Pepper even. Body is pretty heavy, just one is enough. Overall it's a nice beer for the right occasion. I may get it again if I find myself in Hyattsville on a blustery, cold evening.

3.77/5  rDev +12.5%