Heiner Brau Mardi Gras Festbier | Covington Brewhouse

Covington Brewhouse
Louisiana, United States
covingtonbrewhouse.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

A Bavarian style lager, light copper colored, medium build beer with a malty finish. In Bavaria, this beer is usually brewed in late summer to celebrate the bringing in of the harvest. With a fresh Festbier in hand, your celebration of the chilly “Mardi Gras” season will warm your heart.

Added by acrawf6 on 11-22-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.18/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle into a pint glass

Appearance - Pours a golden bronze with a thin 1 finger white head.

Smell - Sweet malts, and a fruity combination.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Lite, crispy, and dry. Malty sweetness comes through as in the nose. Kinda tart on the back of the tounge into a dry finish. Ummm, i'm gonna say NO on this one.

Drinkability - My first beer from this brewery, and it will definitely be my last.

2.16/5  rDev -33.1%

Aroma- ale-fruity with citrusy/ spicy hop. Not what I expect in the style but still very appealing. Really fruity.

Appearance- Dull, mirky bronze. Totally chill-hazed. Thin off-white head with lace. Really gross color.

Taste- This is super-light on the palate. Very dry. Vienna malt wants to be heard but doesn't stand a chance up against a prominent astringency, minerally bite, esters, and herbal (almost vegetal) hop presence.

Drink- I could, but won't.

This brewery makes some great beers and I was a big fan of the traditional german offerings I had from them at a recent beer fest, but this misses the mark big time. Disappointing.

1.93/5  rDev -40.2%

What can I say, but that I really didn't enjoy this beer at all. When I saw it on the shelf, I was really excited to try it out, but I was really disappointed while drinking it. The beer had a very strange taste and was really flat. I had to force myself to drink it all. I really hope this local brewery succeeds, but I haven't been too impressed by their beer so far. Maybe it was just a bad batch considering that the other two ratings are positive. I'll try it again and see if anything changes.

3.15/5  rDev -2.5%

Hoping for great things from the brewery. Some different characteristics coming from this brew. Aromas begin with a heavy dose of malts (pilsner / vienna or 2-row) with a descernable earthy flavor with raw grains and corn. The beer's appearance is darker than most traditional Oktoberfests and the head formation / retention left me wanting more. Seems light on overall carbonation. The taste is more balanced toward the grain (barley) flavors and of the un-malted variety; leaving the beer tasting like green-beer or wort. A sweet caramel-like quality rounds the beer out, but the light hop additions keeps the beer sweet. A bit oily on the toung and lack of co2 makes the beer feel more weighted. Finishes with a sweet grain flavor. Not my favorite Oktoberfest, but certainly a different take on the style.

3.82/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours out an dark copper/amber with a white head that lowers to a very thin sheet of bubbles over the beer.

Smell. Has a nice combination of malts and fruit. Malts are sweet, and slightly syrupy, with a little bit of oats. There are some candy fruit aromas, and some dehydrated peaches.

Taste. A good bit similar to the aroma. I get slight oat flavors in the malt, and a good amount of sweetness. Fruits come out with more dehydrated peaches, and just a touch of strawberry tartness. As it warms up, i really get the flavors of german malts. The aftertaste becomes dry with a small bit of roasted malts.

Mouthfeel. The weakest part, imho. Just a little too thin, and a little slick to the tongue. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall. I think this one is just a hair away from being a great beer. I think the aroma and flavor are quite nice, i just wish the body would have been a little fuller. Perhaps i would like it more on a hot afternoon, rather than this chilly night. But i think it is the best beer i've tried coming from them.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last