Salamander 58AD | Salamander Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by wl0307 on 05-11-2005

Reviews by wl0307:
3.98/5  rDev 0%

Tasted this ale at the mini beerfestival at the Lower Red Lion Inn in St. Albans on 29/04/05. It was the fourth, and the very last, beer I tasted during the whole session. Interestingly, from the website of this micro-brewery, this brew doesn't seem to exist at all! I wonder if it's a brand new beer and I was lucky enough to catch it in St. Albans (a place pretty much in line with Romanised Britain in the year of 58 AD...).

Appearance: served in a cute half-pint jug, it has nice Albany colour against the dimly sunlight coming through the window, with thin, yellowish beerhead…
Smell: light note of toffee and date-like fruitiness comes through my nostrum, not overly complex.
Taste & Aftertaste: superb!!—toffee, coffee, smoky grainy maltiness springs to mind, very dried-fruit note arrives immediately; the finale is complete with dryish, hoppy finish lingering in the throat.
Mouthfeel: rich body which is perhaps not surprising for its alcoholic strength (5.8%abv); but the complexity is remarkable for a Mild! I personally think it could be better if hops could be used more generously in this ale; but of course, it’s just my biased view.
Drinkability: it is really nice indeed, but somehow I would tend to reserve it for winter. For summer it is a bit over the top and, on balance, it should be served just a bit cooler than the one I had.

Salamander 58AD from Salamander Brewing Company