Péché Mortel | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Péché MortelPéché Mortel
Liked This Beer
4.41 w/ 5,138 ratings
Péché MortelPéché Mortel

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada
dieuduciel.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

Added by Popsinc on 06-09-2003

Ratings: 5,138 |  Reviews: 1,845

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

3.36/5  rDev -23.8%

Two weeks ago I had my first beer tasting event. At that time, this was served and was not received very well. I decided to by another bottle ($6.99 at Total Wine) and try it on my own to write a review.

Poured from a 11.5 oz. brown bottle with the date code there but smudged and into a snifter. I get 1/2 fingers of head. I reviewed this beer based upon its style.

A: Pours the darkest brown opaque color with 1/2 fingers of tan, crater head that dissipates quickly. Little lacing.

S: Very strong smell of coffee and a little vanilla.

T: Strong coffee and coffee. It is like having an iced coffee with alcohol in it. The alcohol to be sure is well hidden, though.

M: Medium bodied and smooth. It is a sipper, though. So strong is the coffee infusion that it cannot be enjoyed any other way. I can enjoy it somewhat by sipping. Very warming.

O: First of all, I don't care for it and I would not have it again. This is a perfect example of Personal Taste. I don't really get the rave reviews. I like Deschutes Black Butte Porter but this is not a style that I will probably gravitate to.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Péché Mortel from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Beer rating: 96.6% out of 100 with 5,138 ratings