Péché Mortel | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Péché MortelPéché Mortel
4.41/5
Outstanding
Péché MortelPéché Mortel

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada
dieuduciel.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

Added by Popsinc on 06-09-2003

#218

Ratings: 5,186 |  Reviews: 1,850
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Rich, deep and balanced. Opaque body with swirling beige marbled carbonation, surrendering a richly smooth sugared nose that evolves dark chocolate into into freshly roasted coffee that clings with the palate and imagination long after consumption with power and size.

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this bottle for about two years now. After having two disappointing beers in a row; I decided to switch to a known quantity. If I went three in a row, then I would have to crack open the KBS.

I poured this beer into a tulip style glass with a snifter style base. I figured that would be great to hold in the aroma of this stout.

One sniff and I knew I was right about this beer. It smells great. You get a ton of rich coffee smell. I love the way that this espresso smells.

This is a great sipper. I love the richness from this beer. It coats the mouth with the great flavor.

I know that this beer is a little more expensive (in my store sold by the bottle at around $5). I recommend this beer thoroughly. This is an amazing beer.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a Victory tulip. Bottled in March 2010

A- pours as black as night with a one finger brown head that quickly fades, leaving a nice trail of lacing along the glass and some nice wisps of the head on top of the beer

S- tons of dark fruits smash me in the aroma, with a solid backbone of coffee coming through too

T- the coffee taste is very different from most coffee style beers I've had. It tastes freshly ground (despite being a nearly three year old bottle) and is loaded with bitterness. The finish gives me some sweet chocolate that lingers as it goes down. Beautifully balanced, no heat at all

M- medium bodied, on the thicker side. I get almost a silky texture from the beer though, something I really enjoy

O- this is really good. The pricetag can be a bit of a turnoff, but it's an exceptional beer

4.73/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours deep brown, almost black. How do you give appearance a 5? Alcohol tears and spots of lace draining down from each sip. The slightest ring of tan foam for head, but it leaves a ring each time.

Coffee, charred malt, burnt bitter chocolate, earth, alcohol in the nose. Smells rich.

Big coffee and charred malt up front. Bitterness, some acid, and a hint of sweetness. Alcohol kicks in, and brings the coffee. Astringent alcohol helps the palate along. Some cassis, vanilla, and charred wood. Boozy bite of bitterness in the finish. Wow.

Full bodied, acidic, and tingly carbonation.

One of the last from this brewer to be tried by me (that I can find). Why did I wait? Amazing beer.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

This is an amazing beer that I never would have heard of if not for Beer Advocate. The aroma is amazing and what sets this apart from many other coffee stouts is the mouthfeell and drinkability. Very smooth without the thin aftertaste I find in a lot of other non BA stouts. Definitely in my Top 3 - 5 range for stouts behind FBS and Expedition.

4.85/5  rDev +10%

This beer is near perfect. The two things that stand out the most for me is the flavour and mouthfeel. The mouthfeel it is very silky and smooth and has the perfect amount of thickness to it. The flavour is fantastic, it is the perfect balance of bitter and sweet. It really excites my taste buds and is far from a burden to finish the entire bottle. As a matter of fact I tally up the remaining stock in the fridge as I drink it. A nice flavourful beer and easily in my top three. For 9.5% this beer is remarkably balanced. If you like dark beers this one is a clear winner.

Péché Mortel from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Beer rating: 4.41 out of 5 with 5,186 ratings