Aphrodisiaque | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

AphrodisiaqueAphrodisiaque

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada
dieuduciel.com

Style: American Stout

Also known as Aphrodite.

Black ale with aromas and flavours of vanilla, dark chocolate, bourbon and roasted malt. The vanilla and cocoa marry nicely, without out-competing each other, to produce a surprisingly well balanced beer. This beer is mildly hoppy, but the cocoa introduces a touch of bitterness. Its colour may be intimidating, but it is a very smooth beer within reach of most beer drinkers. This highly appreciated dessert beer is brewed with organic fair-trade cocoa and first rate vanilla beans.

Added by Popsinc on 06-10-2003

Ratings: 1,664 |  Reviews: 634

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a 16 oz snifter. Pours pitch black, with a one inch dark tan head, that leaves behind beautiful lace. Smell is Toffee, vanilla, butterscotch, coffee, and cocoa. Taste is all of that, the most dominant is butterscotch and vanilla. Body is maybe medium, just the right carbonation, a touch dry, and goes down easy. This is very nice, seems bigger than its abv. Nice stout, a bit expensive.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Mikkeller bar in SF.

A: Real dark. Opaque.

S: Smells like booze .vanilla. Amazing.

T/M: Disappointingly thin. Weak chocolate. Oatmeal ish? Eh. Ain't that good.

O: Not a terrible beer but also not a great one. I wouldn't have another based on this, though I suppose this may not be the best representation.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%

Eye: The beer pours pitch black, so dark no light is getting through to hint at any deeper hues of color. Head is two fingers, creamy and has excellent retention. Quite a sexy looking beer. Nice lacing as well.

Nose: Upfront I can easily pick up the cocoa. Smells like good hot cocoa, not the cheap stuff. Not really getting to much vanilla or roast at the moment, maybe it needs to warm a bit...I guess(halfway through the glass now) I'd have to describe the vanilla as coming through blended with the cocoa. It doesn't stand out on its own, but they come as a pair... Hard to describe vanilla character here. Best way to describe the aroma of this beer is hot cocoa.

Tongue: What I've not picked up in the aroma comes through in the flavor. Vanilla and cocoa compliment each other and the roasted barley which adds some bitterness to the brew. Flavors of chocolate as well(i guess thats pretty much the same as cocoa). Even though this one is low in alcohol it comes through. Body is full with low carbonation.

Drinkability: This is one I'll definitely buy again and recommend to friends; however, its a toss up between this one and Peche Mortel. I think I'd go for Peche Mortel first before I picked this one up again. Don't get me wrong this is a great beer! But Peche Mortel is a bit more complex and I feel its just crafted better. I love this beer, and I'd really like to see a brew come from them that combines the elements of this beer with Peche Mortel-that would be quite the beer.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz courtesy of gramity. Thanks!

A: Thick placid black. Dark mocha foam rises up quickly after the pour and completely and totally fades. I have never seen that happy. Beers looks still and lifeless. Great legs though.

N: Cocoa and malted milk are the first flavors to hit my nose. There's some vanilla and roast/espresso in here, and a ton of husky, sweet grains. Oats, I think.

T: A very balanced beer. Lots of sweetness on the front of the tongue leads into a very long hop bitterness and a lot of coffee roastedness. Has a sharp acidic bite such as is found in a dry stout. Vanilla starts to shine through at the end of the beer.

M: Alternatively thick and watery at turns. Stains the palate with the coffee. Some alcohol.

O: Pretty powerful stuff if you’re in the mood for wake-me-up juice. I could do with a lot more of the vanilla to tone down the java bean flavors. I can’t say I dislike it, but at the same time, I’m not blown away. Still good though.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with a thin layer of brown head, tiny bubbles that hint at its smooth mouthfeel. Aroma is dominated by creamy vanilla. Milk chocolate is there too with roasty grains, like burnt toast. Bitter chocolate, light vanilla, and cream soda all come together with a finish of barkish/earthy hop bitterness. It lingers for some time with some burnt chocolate. The feel is very creamy and the finish is slightly dry.

This is one of the best chocolate/vanilla adjunct stouts I've had. The first time I had it was at The Trappist on taptwo years ago. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to have it again. Won't pass this up when I see it next.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aphrodisiaque from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!