Aphrodisiaque | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

AphrodisiaqueAphrodisiaque

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: American Stout

Black ale with aromas and flavours of vanilla, dark chocolate, bourbon and roasted malt. The vanilla and cocoa marry nicely, without out-competing each other, to produce a surprisingly well balanced beer. This beer is mildly hoppy, but the cocoa introduces a touch of bitterness. Its colour may be intimidating, but it is a very smooth beer within reach of most beer drinkers. This highly appreciated dessert beer is brewed with organic fair-trade cocoa and first rate vanilla beans.

Added by Popsinc on 06-10-2003

Reviews: 618 | Ratings: 1,609
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

Aroma:Hot chocolate with a little bit of alcohol.

Appearance:Black, Tan head, good head retention, poor lacing.

Taste:Delicious! Tons of dark chocolate, a little bit of vanilla. The flavor is the same from the foretaste thru the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:Smooth and creamy with just a little carbonation.

Drinkability:Chocolaty and delicious, this beer is quite a treat.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Bottle to worthy sniffer

A:pours dark brown like coffee but looks darker in the glass like black coffee with no head pours like motor oil thick and heavy

S: smells of roasted cocoa and vanilla very delicious but not much else there or much depth

T: okay not what I expected at all but I guess I should have known with the low abv but its very light. The coca taste hits you immediately along with the vanilla that blend for a much stronger taste then the feel

M: okay this is super light for a stout I mean I know it's no imperial but like water there is a grittiness to it as if the coco powder was there oily and slimy goes down easy but not smooth with legit no carbonation at all

O: tastes as advertised with lots of strong flavors for an otherwise completly light stout easy to drink dispite the heavy dessert flavors impressive stuff for a standard stout definitely worth a try but twilight of the idols was better taste and it was a porter

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours very dark, nearly totally black with just the barest hints of ruby peeking from the corners of my glass. Head is a quite dark tan with decent retention but no lacing. Smell is very nice, quite sweet with obvious chocolate coming on strong. Vanilla hints get stronger as the beer warms. Taste sees much of the vanilla fall away in favour of the aforementioned dark chocolate. Lightly hopped as well. Mouthfeel is full and nicely carbonated, very nice, and drinkability is good. All in all, not as sweet as I'd have thought before breaking in to it, but probably better balanced. Very good stout.

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%

341mL bottle with bottled-on date notched in label tasted from a snifter.

Pours an opaque black, with one finger of tan head that quickly fades to a haze.

Mostly cacao in the nose, complemented by some dark fruit, roasted grains and subtle oaky vanilla.

Smooth and creamy sweet cacao powder up front, tending toward darker charred grains and coffee notes toward the finish. Soft vanilla is there, but light and in the background. Bit of a whisky or bourbon on the finish with a bit of residual sweet chocolate and fruitiness. Very nice melding of flavours here, not too sweet or too burnt.

Mouthfeel is a decent medium body, creamy and bubbly carbonation and a lingering sticky finish.

Tasty, creamy, and with a decently robust body given the abv. A sweeter, more "everyday" alternative to the bigger Peche Mortel.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

I found this at the LCBO as Aphrodite, but it's also called Aphrodisiaque in Quebec. It's a lot darker than I expected however I didn't even read the label when I purchased it. It's from Dieu du Ciel and I've immensely enjoyed all of their beers.
As it turns out this is a dark roasted malt with very subtle hops. The texture is chalky and tastes of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and something berry like. I wouldn't say this is my favourite of this type of beer but it's certainly very well crafted.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

An aggressive pour into a Maudite snifter pours an inky jet black liquid... yields about a finger of creamy light brown head that leads lots of messy lacing

Roasted malt and cococa are at the forefront of the nose, only maybe picking up a pinch of vanilla?... rather sweet smelling

There's a few flavours working together here... the burnt bitterness of the malt along with the sweet cococa flavour noticed in the nose... vanilla still quite subdued but becomes slightly more noticeable on the finish/aftertaste... a very pleasant profile... sort've like a chocolate milkshake? delicious!

Full-bodied, nice and creamy, maybe just slightly overcarbonated.

Very tasty and drinkable... would work great as a desert beer

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass after dinner.
Opaque black with a foamy 1/4" mocha colored head that recedes to a thin froth. Leaves ropey lacing.
On the nose there's subtle vanilla and cocoa, roasty malt. There's a milk chocolatey character as it warms up, as well as a hint of dark fruit.
The taste shows bitter dark chocolate and coffee up front, then some roasted malt and a little molasses, and ends with subtle rich vanilla and dryness. It had a pretty nice bitter chocolate/coffee aftertaste that lasts a while after drinking.
Has a soft and velvety texture, ends a little thin.
Smooth and very drinkable, maybe a touch less bitterness on the end would be good.
A very delicate dessert-type beer without being too sweet. I'd like a little more richness out of it for it to be perfect, but for a non-imperial stout it's very full-flavored.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

12 0z. bottle into a standard pint glass
An aggressive pour yielded an opaque black with a huge mocha-colored head which never completely dissapated. Lacing is lasting as well. Nose is not overwhelming - chocolate and vanilla prevail with some traces of roasted malt. Taste is chocolate, vanilla a bready malt flavor and a nice semi-bitter finish with a little alcohol warming. Very creamy and not overly thick mouthfeel. Good carbonation. This is a very tasty sipper and, except for the price, one I will want again.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pitch black color with a thin mocha colored head. The head fades fairly quickly to a thin film across the top. Overall it appears very still like staring into an abyss.

S: It kicks off with a lot of vanilla and coffee. Roasted malts and dark, slightly bitter chocolate come in a bit later. A good aroma for a stout, pretty much what you'd expect.

T: Similar to the aroma, but the vanilla and chocolate are the main players here. Sweet milk chocolate and vanilla are complemented with touches of roasted coffee bean and caramel.

M: Medium bodied with an almost silky feel to it. It is very smooth and lightly carbonated, just enough to move the flavors across the palate.

O: I really enjoyed this stout. I've been a little underwhelmed with this brewery in the past, but they certainly don't disappoint here. I'll definitely be picking this one up again, I actually think I like it better than the peche mortel.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Into a DFH tulip, pours a beige/brown head atop a deeply dark brown body. Didn't notice the visuals too much, but almost passes the decent test.

The aromas are killer. One of the richest of the bouquets I have *whiffed* in awhile (meaning the intensity is high), with sweet vanilla and coffee notes permeating primarily.

Flavors of dry espresso, vanilla ice cream with vanilla beans, and a touch of mocha. The balance is excellent, everything dovetails just right, and if there were another beer I would compare it with in taste and quality I'd go with Ballast Point's 'Victory at Sea'. But then, I continue drinking... (assessment continued below)

Mouthfeel is indeed thin, with little improvement upon swishing.

Overall, the first half of this is transcendent as an incredibly delicious vanilla stout; the second half becomes not so much tedious as mildly cloying. I think it comes down to the thinner mouthfeel along with the vanilla suddenly and nearly overpowering everything else. Granted, there was a copious amount of drinking prior to this, so I shall purchase again for another whirl as I love the initial impression this brought me.

So I got the Aprodite version of this one. It came in a screw top bottle and poured a deep murky black with the slightest shades of brown on the edges. Small one finger tan head.

Nose is semi-sweet 60% chocolate with some roasty toasty malts. The level of vanilla in the nose and taste comes off as more of a pure vanilla extract rather than anything artificial or fabricated.

Mouthfeel is creamy and velvety. This beer is inbetween a sipper and a session. As the bottle says this should go perfect with deserts of many kinds and I wish that I had a fancy chocolate cake right now.

My first impression on Dieu De Ciel is fairly good and I think I'll be back for some other offerings rather soon. I'm surprised it took me so long to try one of their beer's.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a tulip type glass. Pours black with no light able to shine through, it is said to be unfilter but who could tell. After a fairly hard pour only a small tan head appears and disapates very quickly into a thin ring with very very minor lacing. Strong aroma of chocolate, lesser vanilla and coffee, roasted malt. Big bitter taste of chocolate, hints of vanilla and heavy on roasted malt. Very good. Smooth in the mouth but almost has a grainy texture (which it does not) but not unpleasant. Highly drinkable.

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: less than half a finger of head. Not completely opaque: noticeably reddish tint around the edges.

Smell: Roasty chocolate with hints of vanilla.

Taste: A bit more on the bitter side than I was expecting from the scent. Chocolate and vanilla present but not fully integrated. The taste didn't quite live up to the smell.

Feel: About average for an adjunct stout.

Overall: Certainly above average for a stout, but for this style, I would probably go with a hometown beer like Off Color's Dino S'mores or Pipeworks' S'more Money, S'more Problems, both of which I think are similar but a little smoother and chewier. Aphrodite is good, but I would not go out of my way to get it again. Still, kudos to Dieu Du Ciel for distributing it in 12-ounce bottles instead of 22-ounce bombers.

3.94/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled labeled "Aphrodite" - not sure when the change took place. Poured into a Portsmouth balloon a dark black with a finger of tawny head that clings nicely to the edge of the glass as it quickly fades to a film.

Big chocolate on the nose, a touch of roasted coffee and brown sugar.

A sip is smooth and slightly viscous early on but thinning out through the sip. Some good prickly carbonation. It honestly reminds me a little bit of an egg cream. If you're unfamiliar, an egg cream is chocolate syrup, milk, and soda water. Not a big hop presence as you might expect in an American Stout, definitely a chocolate-forward example.

I think this is going to be a little bit better with some warmth, but the body is a thin overall. I don't get many more dimensions other than the chocolate and a touch of roast. Solid beer, a little underwhelming for the price.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I think Dieu Du Ciel might be my favorite foreign craft brewer. Every beer I have had from them has been exceptional. This is a Stout brewed with both cocoa and vanilla beans. Here is my review:

A: Pours extremely dark black. No light penetration whatsoever. Head is dark brown, but dissipates rather quickly. Looks very thick in the glass, but not quite up there with an Imperial Stout.

S/T: The aroma is full of bitter chocolate, coffee, and a woody type character, which is probably the vanilla. Taste is very nice. Lots of bitter, dark chocolate upfront, along with a bitter coffee, roasted malt combo. The vanilla really comes through in the finish. Somewhat woody and sweet. My only complaint is that the finish is a tad too clean. The bitter chocolate and sweet vanilla linger for a little bit, but isn't as lasting or creamy as I would have liked. Not too intense either. Very drinker friendly.

M/D: As far as Stouts go, this is more of a medium bodied brew. Finish is bitter-sweet and relatively clean. Drinkability is great. I think anybody could handle this.

I definetly prefer Peche Mortel to this, but this is still an excellent Stout. Might be one of the best non-Imperial Stouts I have had. The vanilla really adds another dimension to the beer. Well worth seeking this and other Dieu Du Ciel brews out.

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Although I'm a stout and Porter drinker, this one isn't entirely my cup of tea. Pitch black with a nice tan head that sticks around for a while and laces nicely.. The smell has an interesting wet canvas smell to my nose. The taste is simultaneously complex and watery (probably due to my experience with high grav American stouts). I taste unripe pears and tobacco. Different. Maybe even unique. I might even have one again . . . but I think it could have been better.

Look forward to trying their 9.5% Peche Mortel next time!

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

12/25
Appearance - Deep, jet black. Very thin, tan head quickly fades away. Dark brown highlights. No lacing.
Smell - Smooth, chocolate, vanilla.
Taste - Roasted malt, chocolate, sweet vanilla, bitter hop backbone. Smooth blend of chocolate and vanilla.
Mouthfeel - Thicker than expected, somewhat chewy mouthfeel. Medium to full-bodied.
Drinkability - Rich and drinkable, but quite filling - a slow sipper.
Overall - Great mix of chocolate and vanilla flavors make this beer stand out. Very enjoyable stout.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

A: A nice warm, dark, similar to dark chocolate brown body, with a bit of red around the edges. The healthy two-finger head stays around through a sip or two, and there is still a film of bubbles resting on the body throughout my sipping.

S: Definitely get them there vanilla beans. Some chocolate and roast also present themselves in a lesser way.

T: Starts off with a burst of sweetness, though I can't tell if it's the vanilla or a sort of milk chocolate. The vanilla beans slowly fade as I push the beer around in my mouth, while semi-sweet chocolate and roast notes come to the forefront, though they are never as powerful as the initial blast of flavor. Aftertaste is probably the most bitter part of the beer, with only roast detectable.

M: I find the beer to be slightly over-carbonated for the first second or two, but once the bubbles settle down, there is a lovely silkiness.

O: The stouts I drink these days are about 10% abv on average. When I occasionally try something around 5%, I am generally unhappy with the amount of flavor. While this beer's taste fades a bit and is not as big as a Black Tuesday or Dark Lord, it has a great deal of flavor for 6.5%. On the sweeter side of stouts thanks to the vanilla beans, which is just fine by me. It could be more complex, but it still may be my favorite non-imperial or double stout.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

According to my bottle, the beer named Aprodite pours pret-ty, pret-ty black with a nice two finger head after a rollicking pour into my snifter. This head is a beige-brown color in which my girlfriend swore she saw a pinkish hue (I don't see it). The lacing is quite sticky and forms a strinking snow covered mountain look.

The smell is lovely with aromas of roasted malt, cocoa, and vanilla melding together effortlessly. When swirled vigorously in my glass, the roasted malt flavors open up a lot. I pick up other aromas of dark fruits and caramel in the background. There is just enough of a toasted aroma to make this smell a bit like a S'more.

Mmm, the flavor is just as well balanced as the smell. The roasted malt provides just enough bitter astrigency on the sides of my mouth and tip of my tongue to counteract the sweetness of the cocoa and vanilla flavors on the flat of my tongue. Really, the balance between sweet and bitter is just about perfect. The finish of each sip is nicely bittersweet and tastes like a good coffee.

The mouthfeel of Aphrodite is just on the lighter side of medium bodied. The roastiness on the bitter receptors of my palate does a good job of balancing the sweetness on my tongue. The carbonation is low; this is just about perfect for the flavor and body.

Aphrodite is very, very drinkable. I could certainly have a couple of these in a sitting, and it is a beer that I will seek out again. The price is a bit of a deterent, so it is not one that I will buy often, but the quality of the product overpowers the price tag for me.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

When pour notice a nice chocolate dark body. The aroma of chocolate and vanilla is present. From the sip the hops are mild but the cocoa bitterness comes through and this is working well with my taste buds.

The hint of vanilla is notice as well although settle in the background but still noticeable and has a velvety smooth finish. A very good worth buying again.

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

12oz bottle received in trade from the ghengis22 thanks for setting this one up

a-black...when held up to light has a cola appearance to it...khaki frothing on top that fell quickly..no carb appears in this brew thanks to the darkness..as the review will go the appearance was the best part to me..

s-vanilla and roast...tad coffee and toffee up front...chocolate...

t-almost a chemical sweetness...vanilla forward and chocolate...some roasty bitterness in the middle..this beer falls apart somewhat from the chemical aspect...but is palatable to an extent...

m-thin...way to thin for a stout....bordering on watery...carb is slightly prickly...but finishes way to dry

d-one and done...glad i got to try it..

overall slightly disappointing...if the chemical aspect was removed, the sweetness toned down and cleaned up a bit i could see it being a good but not great beer

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Born in August 2010, and purchased from my local LCBO. Served at 58 degrees.

A: Poured into my stolen Lucifer glass (the Devil made me do it) Very dark body rests underneath a tiny amount of kahki pant colored head. Not much lacing going on.

S: Very sweet smelling... ALOT of vanilla. Cocoa present as well... The bottle lists cocoa as the third ingredient! More cocoa in this than hops! A little bit of alcohol present.

T: This is certainly a sweet stout. lots of residual sugar and the vanilla and cocoa make it even more present. Hops are much more present than in the nose. Hop bitterness chases the sweet vanilla down the gullet.

M: Coats the pallet in a medium-thick blanket of chocolate and vanilla. A little sticky on the lips. nothing a seasoned stout drinker cant handle.

D: maybe a little too sweet for me to quaff or drink in quantity.

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.5 oz bottle,poured into my Founders snifter,from the cellar at 55 degrees.

A. Very Black body,no light shining through.A one finger khaki colored head that dissapates very quickly.Leaves no lacing behind.

S. Lots of roasted malts come first.Get alot of the cocoa and chocolate.I'm getting some dark fruits in there as well.I don't pick up the vanilla.

T. Taste is alot like the smell,lots of cocoa and a bitter chocolate .Definately getting the vanilla in the taste.Not bad, bitter aftertaste lingers.

M. Kind of thin mouth,very carbonated as I sip this,stings the tounge.Like I said earlier leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Overall pretty decent beer, taste is not bad at all.The bottle says brewed with cocoa and vanilla and that is pretty much what you get.I have had some better American stouts.That being said its worth a try.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Opaque, very very dark brown, almost black. Thin dark head with quite a low retention.

S: Woh! Wonderful. All the advertised aromas are there: coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla. Nothing overpowering. This is very well balanced. Alcohol is also present here.

T: This is mainly coffee, dark chocolate. Faint notes of vanilla. Finishes dry with a mocha aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation, a bit oily, perfect for the style.

O: A very good stout. Do not expect something explosive or aggressive, here. This is all in sweetness and faint subtle touches !

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

341ml bottle poured into tulip.

Pours nearly black with ruby highlights when held to the light with a thin cap of creamy brown head that leaves natural rock archway formation lace as it recedes.

Smells of milk chocolate, dried vanilla, roasted caramel malt, soft coffee grounds and mild bitter hops.

Tastes of more roasted malt, rich milk chocolate, vanilla beans, cold creamy coffee and more faint leafy hops.

Feels surprisingly fizzy. Medium bodied with frothy carbonation. Finishes drier than you'd think.

Verdict: Highly recommended. If the price isn't too dear, this would make a mean vanilla ice cream beer float.

Aphrodisiaque from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!