Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

good
Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada
dieuduciel.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by Popsinc on 06-10-2003

1.47/5  rDev -60.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

1.9/5  rDev -48.4%

I've pretty much loved or at least enjoyed everything I've tried from these guys, but with this one I had to ask, "What the hell were they thinking?"

Pours a dark amber/light brown with a one finger light tan head that fades slowly to a thin cap. Spotty lacing.

The nose has a hint of chocolate and some bready malts, before a strong smell of peppercorns.

Taste is nothing but pepper; no rye, no other malts, certainly no hops. Just pepper. Hot spicy pepper.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

Sadly, a drain pour for me. I couldn't get past three sips before tossing this one in the kitchen sink.

1.96/5  rDev -46.7%

This beer pours a hazy amber color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes within seconds into almost nothing. The aroma is pepper, and some light caramel malt. But really it is all pepper, and that is not pleasing to me. The taste is much the same, and just as repugnant. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this beer is a drain pour. I can think of no ideas as to how someone could possibly like it. It is straight up nasty.

1.97/5  rDev -46.5%

i like rye. i like pepper. i like hot peppery things including hot sauces from pepperpalace.com. i like the chili beer (i know it has poor reviews- i like it as a 'finisher' when i'm done drinking for the night). i appreciate novelty beers.
but i'm not particualrly fond of this one.
A- a 'ruby' purple liquid with little or no head.
S- remember those little 'cans' of already ground black pepper that were so popular,back in the day, before 'fresh' ground peppercorn became availible?
T- remember those little 'cans' of already ground black pepper that were so popular,back in the day, before 'fresh' ground peppercorn became availible?
M- full-bodied, round(?).
overall??? blecchh. leave the spice to the food. dont pour it into your beer. it's not even a good novelty brew.

2.01/5  rDev -45.4%

Should I start out with the appearance or smell (which I rated good or average)... sure why not. I like the shading from the top to the bottom of the glass (a pint glass). It starts out brown at the top (like a weak porter color) and the color shifts to a nice orange at the bottom. There is very little foam and I see some carbonation, but not a lot of bubbles coming through the body. It looks interesting.

The smell is interesting. I pick up the rye with the peppercorn seasoning blending in the smell. It is different. I have had spiced beer before many times, but the spice has rarely come out of the savory style.

Now the taste. It is not good. I pick up a lot of peppery flavor through the entire taste. I sense a little of the rye beer trying to come through. I pull air across the beer to see if I can pick up more, but that seems to increase the pepper in the beer. Even in holding it in my mouth, the pepper comes through the front and the rye in the back. Then the peppercorn flavor moves straight back. For all three flavor types, it was very unpleasant.

The pepper burns my mouth and throat. It is like the after-effects of a pepper, and not in a good way like in a well balanced chile beer.

And yes, I tried the beer at multiple temperatures to see if the flavor evolves. It didn't evolve. The unpleasantness in the flavor evolved to an even stronger impact over time. I couldn't finish this beer... it was the first sink pour I have had to do in months.

2.03/5  rDev -44.8%

A - This meets the definition of crayola brown. Minimal carbonation and minimal head.

S - Pepper. Pure pepper. Slight malt too. I sure as hell don't pick up any rye.

T - Malt up front then smack with pepper that doesn't go away. It lingers for literally five minutes. Pepper all the way.

M - Medium body with minimal carbonation. Feels nice.

D - Woah, no way. Just give me the pepper shaker instead. I respect the effort but damn, this is too peppery for me.

2.08/5  rDev -43.5%

A - Hazy deeper amber with one finger of tan head that leaves okay lacing

S - Pepper ... with some nice malts in the back

T - Some maltiness up front and then all of sudden in the back you get hit by a pepper bomb which crawls back up your throat and insist on burning you. This is not the after taste I want

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - No no no no. I don't see why you would buy this unless you just had an unusual love affiar with pepper

2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

this beer sounded like a good idea but the finished product doesnt quite work. i didnt get the pepper at first, then after a few sips it kicked it and was soon in high gear. my tongue was actually burning after a while. i dont gert any rye at all. the flavor seems off and is reminiscent of a maibock in a bad way. maybe this ones just not for me but im gonna have to say this beer needs some work.

2.17/5  rDev -41%

Thanks to pieper for this 11.5 ounce bottle ('08 vintage), poured into a small snifter.

Pours a muddy caramel color, with a skim of off-white head that almost immediately disappears, leaving behind only a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Minimal lacing.

At first (poured cold out of the fridge), there's a prickly peppercorn presence that provides an interesting contrast to baked apples/pears and sweet caramel. As it begins to warm up, though, the pepper begins to drown out everything else.

The pepper is even more powerful in the mouth. There's some sweet, plain malt presence and no discernible hop flavor, but the pepper simply overpowers any other qualities this brew may have. Medium bodied with lowish carbonation and an incredibly long (and distracting pepper finish. Flirting with drainpour territory here.

Overall impression: Interesting beer, but the overwhelming pepper severely limits enjoyment. Would love to try this same beer with about half the spice.

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

2.26/5  rDev -38.6%

341ml bottle from the Richmond & Fanshawe LCBO. Part of the Dieu du Ciel! Brewery Feature Release. Pours a deep copper orange with ruby hues, a thick off-white ring, and speckles of lacing on the nonic. Smell and taste are faint cocoa and vanilla, touch of cinnamon, dried fruit, a HUGE black pepper spiciness, some caramel and mocha undertones, slight bitterness, and a very hot and astringent finish. Rye aromas develop as the beer warms. A big blast of peppery heat lingers in the throat for quite some time, and I find it a little overwhelming, even unpleasant. Mouthfeel is dry, grainy, medium, spicy and peppery body, bitter and tingling astringency to end. This is a struggle to get through. I respect the fact that DDC has used an innovative, experimental recipe here, but for me it's just not an enjoyable beer. Now, what to do with these last two bottles?

2.32/5  rDev -37%

This was speaking to me (and by the beer man in the store) as a spice, peppercorn hinted beer. It was far from it.

This beer was not good in my opinion. It was flat and had no hints of spice whatsoever. Sweet and stale caramel dominate the palate. Syrupy finish didn't leave me wanting another, or even finish the 11oz bottle. I choked down a half pint a went for another beer.

This was just very average and had no spice, which is the reason I bought it.

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

12oz single bottle purchased for $2.49 from somewhere in Montreal - that "King of Beers" depanneur near the brewpub, I think. Pours a dark ruby red with little head. Not much aroma to speak of. First taste is tangy and spicy - and definitely a pepper bite going down the throat. It is difficult to discern any particular flavours while it's in the mouth - but there is an unmistakable, and unpleasant, pepperness going down the throat. I think I need another beer to have along with this in order to wash it down. I gotta say I'm surprised at some of DDC's choices of beers to bottle.

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Dark ochre with more brick red than brown. The upper half of the glass filled with ecru colored foam following the pour. The cap looks good at the start and gains even more character as it melts. It's also nice and sticky, with pulled taffy bridges appearing between head and glass. Attractive and abundant lace.

Just as Peche Mortel smells more like coffee than any stout I have ever had, this offering smells more like pepper than any beer I can imagine. These guys don't mess around. They must have dumped the green and black peppercorns into the kettles with something approaching reckless abandon. This could be interesting.

Wow! Double Wow!! Route des Epices tastes like liquified pepper corns. While that might be appealing to some people, it isn't appealing to me. With a spice this powerful, a little restraint is called for so that all of the beer's flavors can work together in harmonious fashion. Brasserie Dieu du Ciel blew right past restraint, didn't give a second look at generous, and decided not to stop at excess.

The flavor profile includes pepper. That's it. I have no idea why the brewer(s) decided to make this a rye beer since there's no way that rye malt can be appreciated amid the blast of heat that scorches the mouth, tongue and throat each time the glass is upended. Most chile beer isn't this fiery. Not pleasant.

The mouthfeel, along with the appearance, is a highlight among lowlights. It's at least medium in heft and is as smooth as possible given the raspiness of the peppery heat. Carbonation is neither a positive nor a negative.

I enjoy hot-spicy food and use Tabasco liberally in chili and a few other things. I even like the idea of a pepper-flavored beer, as long as the pepper is an accent and not an 800 lb. gorilla, as it is in Route des Epices. Sorry, pass.

2.59/5  rDev -29.6%

I picked up a bottle at the State Line in Maryland (great store). Appearance is a nice amber brown. Lots of suds!
At first opening, there was a good balanced smell, but after the pour and a few minutes, the pepper became much stronger. The pepper continued to dominate the taste, and there was no balance. Average mouthfeel. Due to the dominance of the pepper, I did not enjoy this beer.I really had thoughts of doin the drainpour, but stuck it out.
I have had a few other Dieu Du Ciel beers, and I have enjoyed them all. I would take this one as an anomoly.

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

A 12 oz bottle picked up at Capone's a long time ago.

A: The ale is a red ale, amber to orange in reality. A thick head erupted on pour, overflowing the glass. Lots of lace.

S: The nose is pepper and not just a little bit. We're talking freshly ground peppercorns. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't taken a sip of the overflowing head.

T: Sometimes the term hot is used to describe a very hoppy ale. That term appears to be blatantly misused after the first sip of this beer. Freshly ground black peppercorns make this ale hot, lively and biting on the tongue. Each sip reignites the heat. Bready rye appears on the back end of a sip, but only if you look for it. I just can't get over the pepper. This ale is almost too hot to rationally enjoy.

M: You better like fresh pepper! My tongue burns for a few minutes after each sip.

D: One and done. Too much heat for me.

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!