Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

good
Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre)

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada
dieuduciel.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by Popsinc on 06-10-2003

Reviews: 385 | Ratings: 626
2.86/5  rDev -22.3%

Bottle date 12/07

Pours clear amber, with a slight chill haze.
A full three-inch head of off-white builds to the rim.
Lacework aplenty as the dense foam recedes.
Aromatics are pretty non-eventfull.
Fairly malty and caramel-laden, with some mild citric tinge and toasty. Akin to a British pale ale.
The mouthfeel is medium and has bristling carbonation.
The pallet starts off with straightforward malt, some crisp bitterness, and toasted malt.
After the second sip, something odd happens. My throat begins to burn!
There is a strong, building heat as each sip finishes the next.
A blast after blast of finely ground black pepper, and perhaps paprika.
No wonder the dude on the label has what looks like peppercorns for a beard.
The heat from the pepper detracts from the subtle nuances of the rest of the beer, to the point of being astringent.
Rye in itself does not add this amount of pepperyness.
Finishes with lingering heat and eventually leaving the back of the tongue somewhat numb.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Tasted on March 15th, 2009.

Tasting notes:

A: Amber color and very clear. Nice head but the head disappear pretty quickly leaving only a thin line.
S: I get in the nose pepper. Hot peppers.
T: Again peppercorn... The beer to me appear salty, probably due to the peppercorn taste. Strange and intriguing.
M: Thin bodied.
D: I can't see myself getting more than one bottle per session.

Not a bad beer, but not my beer style. Glad I tried it 'tho!

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Got a bottle of this from the Cloverleaf Tavern.

A: Pours a red-amber body with no real head to note, so no retention to note and very minimal lacing.

S: A fairly sweet, malty which was not too evident of the upcoming taste.

T: A kind of sweet taste with peppercorn evident in the taste an in the back of your throat on the swallow. The spiciness is quite evident and soon takes over the complexity of the beer overall, which was not too enjoyable. No earthiness or dryness came out from the rye, but there was definitely a pepper spiciness all over this beer.

M A fairly light mouthfeel that seemed a little on the watery side. Could have been a bit fuller.

D: Ok drinkability, but the peppercorn takes away from the beer a little bit. The pepper aspect does not seem to blend very well with the malts and takes away from the rye aspect of the beer. Ok, but nothing really impressive.

2.91/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Hazy rusty brown with a creamy tan head that lasts, leaving moderate lacing.

N- Big malty caramel aromas up front with plenty of oxidation. Some subtle vanilla woodiness and spicy rye underneath. Every so often I get a whiff of the peppercorns, but they are very soft and fleeting. As the beer warms up, I get aromas of dried fruit and nuts. After tasting the beer, the oxidation in the aroma gets more distracting.

T- Subdued maltiness with lots of oxidation. I can taste the thin remnants of caramel masked by wet cardboard. Since the US labels have no freshness date, there's no telling how old this bottle is. I would definitely get confirmation from the store owner/employee that the bottle is fresh before buying it again. A tingling spiciness from the peppercorns shows up in the middle and lasts through the finish. Plenty of peppercorn flavor as well, which is pretty tasty. I'd like to try this with a nice steak if I can manage to find a fresh bottle.

M- Medium-light mouthfeel with moderate carbonation and a dry spicy finish.

D- Overall, an interesting beer that is in desperate need of a freshness date.

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a very dark amber/ brown color and a huge foamy tan head. Very spicy pepper aroma with some maltiness and dark fruit. Malty flavor with some dark fruit up-front followed by a HUGE spicy peppery lingering finish. You can feel the heat when you take a breath after drinking. This is not like a novelty beer with a green pepper floating in it. This is very coplex with an intensely spicy kick.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

Thanks to korguy123 for this one. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours brownish/red with a small beige head. Decent lacing.

S: Some toffee/caramel, also a hint of coffee. The rye and peppercorns play a big role here. A little bit of chocolate as it warms.

T: Got a lot of the rye upfront and the spices/pepper on the back end. After a while got a slight burning sensation in the back of my throat.

M/D: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Slight burning sensation due to the spices. As it warmed I found myself liking it less. Overall it is a very interesting beer, glad to have to tried it. Not bad by any means, but not really for me.

Pours a fairly clear copper-red with an abundance of rocky, sticky head. Clings to the glass as it slowly settles, and as I drink.
Mainly peppercorn on the nose. Some toasted malts can be noticed, but they're pretty subdued by the onslaught of pepper.
Taste is peppercorn through and through...faint citrus bitterness on the finish, which also carries peppercorn. A bare note of rye bread is tasted in the middle, but it's hardly noticeable under the weight of pepper.
Slightly sticky mouthfeel, bubbly carbonation feels lively on the mouth.
The uber-pepper taste makes this less than idyllic to drink. It's not as overpowering as a few spicy beers I've tried, but it's not particularly pleasant either.

It's hard to recommend this beer. If you want to try something different, go for it, but unless you love pepper this beer probably won't impress you.

Route Des Épices

Look: Amber, brown color with 1 finger of white head.

Smell: Spices, pepper and a touch of caramel.

Taste: Spices, pepper, caramel.

Feel: creamy caramel and lots lots of black pepper. The more you drink it the more it is noticeable.

So overall would I recommend it ? Yes why not, but I would not buy an other one for myself.

An average beer aspiring to greatness. Poured with a small light tan head and no lace. Color is a nice, clear dark brownish amber. Aroma is mild but a little of the pepper comes out with some malt. Flavor is at first a little peppery along with caramel malt, right after that it's a little hoppy, then the pepper keeps on coming. Body and carbonatioin are average at best. Finish is pretty much just the long warming effects of the pepper. Interesting premise, nothing real special tho.

Pours a ruby red colour with minimal head.

Peppery slightly malty bouquet. Kind of subdued actually.

Taste is again very subdued....im getting pepper...but very little rye. Very surprised and will buy another to try in case I ended up with an old one.

Mouthfeel is in keeping with abv...a little flat imo.

Overall this is probably the first dissapointing ddc beer I have ever had.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

Hmmm...interesting, but not something I'd go for on a regular basis.

Cooper-brown with a fairly thick off-white head. Smells of brown-sugar, raisins, pepper and malts. Nop hop scent.

Taste is predominantly pepper corns, with some hop bitterness. The pepper nearly overwhelms anything else.

Decent moutfeel, but the pepper presence can lend to a bit of a stinging feel. A nice sipper, but not sessionable and not something I would buy en masse.

3.07/5  rDev -16.6%

The peppercorns have, as the SW Chinese noted when I've travelled there, a numbing effect that allows your mouth to deal with intense spices that it would not otherwise be able to handle. While this is both interesting and unique, combined with a rye beer and a nice malty body, it is a bit perverse, because it enshrouds the structure and balance in the numbness.

The beer possesses a nice deep red/brown hue and takes on some nice grainy and raisin tones, but, unfortunately, it would take something stronger than raisin to break through the spice. Don't get me wrong. The carbonation is nice, the spice is light, and there is a lightness and a crispness to this I have yet to experience in another rye beer. But the choice of the peppercorns, while unique, inevitably numb one's mouth to the rest of the wonderful tastes.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Some beers are just for very particular occassions. This is one of those beers, although I have no idea when I would want one of these beers again except to show someone else that this kind of beer exists. This is sooo peppery it's insane. I'm halfway through but I'm starting to worry about messing up my palate for the rest of the evening. This burns. There are some other light dried fruit like aromas and soft malt flavours but pepper is right there at the front-and back for that matter. It's not terrible; it's the red-headed step-child of the Dieu Du Ciel brand for me.

3.11/5  rDev -15.5%

355ml bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - pours a cloudy amber red/orange colour with a good size foamy/fizzy off white head. Can't see much carbonation, and a fair amount of lacing. The head dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell - It has a woody and smoky scent. It also smells like it packs a spicy punch; perhaps black pepper and cinnamon and cloves.

Taste & Mouth - wow, another Dieu Du Ciel beer that has a taste that I've never encountered before in a beer. This beer has a musty ,smoky ,warming flavor. At first I can pick up on some hops, and then the beer has a full flavor taste, but before you know it the spicy flavour kicks in and takes you to the finish. Even minutes after the sip, the warming feeling is still there.

Drink - I can applaud the fact that this beer is different, and also could possible see myself enjoying this at a ski chalet in the winter, but for the most part; it is not my sort of thing.

3.11/5  rDev -15.5%

A - Pours a crystal clear golden amber color with a creamy white head that is reminicent of a Boddington's. There are some decent beads of lacing but they quickly drop back into the glass.

S - The peppercorns are heavy in the nose. There is some malt and rye notceable but the smell of freshly cracked pepper dominates.

T - Creamy malt upfront gives way to a somewhat sour rye blend. The peppercorns are noticeable in the finish and leave a spicy taste. This is almost too spicy though as I feel I need to take a drink of water after every sip.

M - This might be the best part of the beer. High carbonation but extremely creamy, almost velvet-like on the tongue.

D - This would be quite low in my opinion due to the high spiciness. I would imagine I could get a bad case of heartburn from a couple of these.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

Well, this is the beer I love to talk the most since weeks.

Nice red color, lacking the smell of pepper, maybe the lack of the pepper smell is a good thing, as you can FEEL it after a couple of gups. Spicy taste at first, then the pepper taste get over you.
A great original beer for the winter time as it warms you.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

A - This beer poured brownish red color which produced a small white head that had some retention and left a decent amount of lacing in the glass

S - The aromas, or should I say aroma, that I detect from this beer is peppercorn, maybe some of the green and some of the black, but wow, it is just pepper

T - The taste of this beer is like my Peche Mortal Anti-Christ, lots and lots of peppercorns, no restraint was given to the amount of peppercorns dumped in this brew

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had light to moderate body with a slight amount of carbonation

D - This beer really was a miss for one of my favorite breweries, if you like the idea of peppercorn infused beer, give this a try, but a huge disappointment seeing how much I love Rye Ales

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

Shared a bottle with a friend. The body is a clear, darker amber with a short, white head.

Man, this beer is all about peppercorns. I can tell there's a bit of rye and hops in the background, but it mostly just a big pepper flavor and aroma. It's a good taste, but there's just way too much of it. Call this a pepper beer, it just happens to have rye in it.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

The third in the lineup for the evening, there were mixed feelings on this with me not really being crazy about it, but no matter. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 02/17/2010.

The pour was decent enough, and too bad not a harbinger of things to come. Nice dark color, hazelnut tones abound with a nice off white head that peaked out at about two inches about the rim of the glass, nice touches of rocky and cratered foam hung tight to the sides of the glass and left a real mark as the rolled down the sides. Aroma was spicy, pepper and rye are hitting you right in the face. Really just an enormous amount of spice, over powering and unbalanced at times, it seemed a bit much for me. As I take the first sip it really dawns that this is just not going to work. Too much rye and pepper are drowning any hope for a better balance and taste. Light to medium body with ample carbonation is only forcing the issue harder with way too much emphasis on the spice. Warming does little to help as the end result is just a bit messy for me.

Overall by far not my favorite. It could have been worse, and I have had worse spiced beers, but it could have been a lot better.

350th review on BA
Bottle to strange
11.2 oz (1 & 9 etched)

App- Dirty brown mixed with dark red. One finger head that was quick receding.

Smell- Fresh fruits with a faint malty aroma. Not a lot here. Noticing with dieu de ciel their non stouts are very scent lacking.

Taste- A lot of pepper with a soft malt backend. A somewhat milk chocolate flavor.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation level. Just too peppery.

Drink- Huge peppery finish. Very unique flavor profile that just didn't do it for me. I don't think I will have this one again.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

I picked up a 12oz bottle at Sam's in Chicago a few weeks ago, bought it on the spot as I've never seen this or many others from Dieu Du Ciel before. The label states "Rye beer with peppercorns".

The beer has a murky dark copper color with a tickish spitty head. The aroma is a peppercorn cracker, strong pepper smells mixed with biscuit malt. The taste is literally pepper-like, it burns your lips and throat with each sip. It's hard to get much rye out of this beer, just pepper. It gets a bit much really, I guess it's original in its way but not my thing.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: Pours a dark amber with dark cream color head about 3 fingers high. Head holds retention quite well and leaving a good lacing.

S: Black pepper laid over a malty bed of carmel and rye.

T: Similar to the smell, the taste is a balance of carmel, malt and black pepper. No one flavor dominates.

F: Medium-heavy body, similar to a belgian dubbel, medium carbonation.

O: There is nothing nuanced about this beer, it is very straight forward and everything you get on the nose you get on the palate. The black pepper is a bit distracting, however I did enjoy the fact that it did not mask any of the other flavors and instead complemented the bready meal like profile of this beer.

3.2/5  rDev -13%

Pepper is one of my least favourite spices but I tried to be as objective as i could here. This is a copper beer that looks amber in a bright light. The head was more of a puff that stuck to one side of the glass, carbonation not impressive. Nose is more coriander than anything else, pepper rubbed into a fresh steak. Strong pepper taste and throat burn not my favourite sensation, the rye is pronounced and slightly sweeter malts make it drinkable. I would have thought this much higher than 5 per cent ABV, again it must be the rye impressions and association. Dry, solid backbone, just not something I'd want to drink again, count me as not converted to peppercorns in my beer. But leave it to an excellent, creative and inventive brewery to put this out there, thanks Dieu Du Ciel!

3.22/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into a New Belgium globelet.

A - Pours fairly thick, a mohogany color with hints of crimson when held to the light. This beer does not settle well; no head of any significance forms despite extensive carbonation bubbles rising to the top, and at rest it looks much thinner than the pour seemed to indicate. It resembles ginger soda more than anything. Decent lacing is left behind as I drink, though.

S - Molasses, dark rye bread, a hint of allspice.

T - Very complex at first, with the rye and syrupy molasses rising quickly, but just as quickly replaced by hot, burning spice that is not very pleasant. The peppercorn dominates the finish, leaving an aftertaste similar to a middle-shelf bloody mary.

M - The one strength this beer has. Very creamy and full-bodied, with moderate to high carbonation. Not at all what I expected given the pour.

D - A real chore. The lingering pepper aftertaste just gets worse as I drink, very nearly making this my first drain pour. If it had been a less expensive brew, it almost certainly would've been.

Wow, I expected a challenging drink with this, but it provided very little pleasure. I'm not sure who the target audience is, because the craftsmanship is apparent, but it's not me.

3.22/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance. Light brown and clear in color. Outstanding tan head formed when poured into glass. Low yet present carbonation.
Aroma- Sweet carmel and malt flavors with dark fruit. Slight spice, especially peppercorn.
Taste- heavy on the spice, especially the peppercorn, light on the carmel dark fruit sweet malt flavors. Very little hop flavor except you do notice a slight bitterness in the very crisp finish. Medium light body.
It's alright but not exceptional if you ask me. I would drink it again if it was offered but I doubt I would order it.

Route Des Épices (Ale Rousse Au Poivre) from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!