Equinoxe Du Printemps (Élevée En Barrique De Bourbon) | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Equinoxe Du Printemps (Élevée En Barrique De Bourbon)Equinoxe Du Printemps (Élevée En Barrique De Bourbon)

Average: 4.07 | pDev: 4.91%

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 26

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy | 9.10% ABV

Wants   Gots

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada
dieuduciel.com

Notes: Rotating availibility. Équinoxe du Printemps (French for "spring equinox") is the quintessential marriage of two great traditions: beer brewing in Scotland, and maple syrup production in Quebec. At the first draught, the mouth is overcome by woody, malty flavours, sustained by a discrete touch of sweetness. The aftertaste brings about the flavours of maple, which are sufficiently present to be appreciated, but never overwhelming the typical flavours of a Scotch Ale.
Exceptional
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 26
4.15/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Two reminders because I keep forgetting.
First, Dieu du Ciel is a very interesting brewery. They have a French name, but seem more British. Of their Top Ten BA-rated ales, only Rigor Mortis is in the Belgian tradition. Others are in the British tradition. This Brasserie reflects eastern Canada's dual personality... and perhaps that diversity has been a breeding ground for interesting beers.
Second, I need to drink more of this style... now particularly in the winter. For a malt-head like me, I should have more than 13 Scotch Ales by now. (Although 8 I've Had multiple times... and repeats indicate appreciation.)

As for Equinoxe, it is interesting and borderline excellent.
Looks are no big deal. Smells are mostly malt. Tastes are too, but then the maple and the caramel come to play... and play nice. Not too sweet, well balanced and I want more. Equinoxe sits well in the mouth, the right density.

Overall. I'd definitely have Equinoxe again and the same accompaniment: with a sweet potato slathered in butter and brown sugar. I had my meal and dessert at once. Despite all this pleasure, I can't want for Spring.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a thistle, the appearance was mainly a dark burnt red almost brown color with a finger’s worth of white foamy head that dissipated at a nice pace. Spotty lace. The aroma had some dried woodiness, smoke and peat up front. Maple warms in for a nice blend. Some caramel and toffee malts play underneath. The flavor leaned towards a sweet dry woody taste initially and then the caramel and toffee malts come in a bit more as it warms. Maple comes in for balance. Woody dry aftertaste and finish. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fair sessionability about it. Good strength from the ABV is felt. Dryness does show some clinginess to my tongue. Low carbonation. Overall, nicely done scotch ale for the most part. Perhaps a bit dryer than expected. And though I don’t see any bottling dates, a part of me says this is an older bottle. Still, I bet this stuff is magical when fresh, part of me thinks the maple comes out a lot more.

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Many thanks to Papat444 for this one, which I have been looking for for some time.

My most immediate reaction is that the nose on this beer is very nice. The bourbon is just at the right level- prominent and sweet but the rest of the beer is there. Caramel and a maple-like scent. The flavour is very similar and no disappointment. Bourbon, vanilla, maple syrup, oak and caramel. There is a bit too much alcohol heat, but otherwise it tastes very good. Quite sweet, though the booze cuts it a bit.

I am not generally a Scotch Ale fan. I don't have any objection to them, they just don't typically float my boat. I am also not a maple syrup fan. Yet, I like this beer a lot. I think the bourbon does a lot of it, but the flavours go really well together.

3.81/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dieu Du Ciel 'BA in Bourbon for 12 Months' 2014 reserve Spring Equinox @9.1% ,
Maple Scotch Ale served from a 341 ml bottle purchased for $7

A-pour is brown from the bottle to a hazy dirty brown in the glass with a quickly dissapating beige head leaving a minimal lacing along my VBW taster

S-whole lotta fruity esters & bourbon ,

T-big boozey wee heavy , maple in the first sip , dissappears after that

MF-low/mild carbonation , huge big body , as the bottle is consumed it certainly warms the body

Ov-one & done , too much booze(even for me) , I'm looking forward to the non BA version

prost LampertLand

Equinoxe Du Printemps (Élevée En Barrique De Bourbon) from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Beer rating: 88 out of 100 with 26 ratings