Rosée D'Hibiscus | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Rosée D'HibiscusRosée D'Hibiscus

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada
dieuduciel.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by Sammy on 06-06-2006

4.07/5  rDev +6.5%

Hazy deep pink colour, minimal white head, no retention and no lace. Smell is spicy, touches of yeast, very floral, orange zest and other notes of citrus are present. Taste is of spice and cove, orange, floral notes present throughout, tart finish, a light acidity, wheat and citrus battle it out in the finish. Medium body, medium carbonation, good feel. Delicious stuff, complex, very different and refreshing.

3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Small capped bottle poured into a slightly inappropriate glass.

Nice, light pink color with some golden overtones, nice off white head with a slight pink shade.
Aroma is delicate, flowery, herbal, with possibly some wheat. Pleasant, but it lacks punch.
Light bodied, with a pleasant taste that also lacks depth.
No off-flavors, but the fruity/flowery taste leaves something to be desired. Refreshing, but I cant see myself having another one.

3.51/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lovely dark pink-rust colour with a small white head that gets retained as thin collar but leaves little to no lace. The colour has to be seen to be appreciated, it's like a strawberry smoothie or something. Nice.

Obvious floral aroma, strong rose smell, like wet fresh roses. Has a bit of a boozy smell and reminds me of a rosee or mixed wine.

I get a surprising banana flavour from this beer, along with a honey tone I didn't expect to find. Very smooth and again very wine-like otherwise.

The mouth is smooth at first, then a very bitter and tart experience. Comes off more as a cooler when cold, more like a light wine when it warms. It never really feels like a "beer" though.

Masks its ABV well and gets better as it warms; uncommon traits for a fruit or an herbed beer. This is a wonderfully floral ale that should be tried.

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%

341 mL bottle, slightly chilled and poured into a Weihenstephan Weizen glass.
Bottled on January.2011

Appearance- Wow this beer looks super sexy, never really seen a beer that pours a dark pink colour, and cloudy like a wheat beer should be as well. Average pour yields a nice finger of thick, pink tinted head that very quickly dissipates a nice ring around the glass and lots of carbonation making a nice bubbly top throughout till finish, but damn I can’t get over how cool and gorgeous this beer looks!

Smell- The nose is that of a typical wheat beer, you have a nice spicy aroma coming through right off the bat with a nice citrusy fruit smell coming through as well, not too much malt flavours going on but you do get a very slight hint of the yeast, which again is typical to wheat beers.

Taste- Is very interesting, at first I thought it kind of tasted like a vex or something, then you get some spicy notes in there as well mixed with the nice citrusy fruit tastes and then you are reminded this is actually a beer, not sure if it’s just the colour that’s playing with my brain or it actually tastes like that.

Mouthfeel- Definitely a medium bodied wheat beer with ample carbonation, a very smooth, crisp and easy drinking beer as well.

Overall- This would be a great beer to sit out on a patio on a nice hot summer evening and have a couple of these. As I already said in my review this beer looks so cool, I’ve actually never really seen a pink beer before. The smells are that of a typical wheat beer and the taste kind of reminds me of a vodka cooler at first then the citrusy fruits and spicy notes come back which remind you that you are drinking a beer. All in all a great brew here from Dieu du ciel, a definite summer one for me and I can’t wait to be drinking these on my patio this summer, personally I liked it.

4.01/5  rDev +5%

Pours a slightly rose-tinted straw color. Nice color, but no head to speak of. What head that did form was quick to dissipate.

The nose is very deep, lots of floral notes, some grape and berry sweetness, and some light spice.

The taste is fairly balanced, yet less complex. Lots of sweetness and a bit of floral and a hint of lemon peels. There is a nice funk in the crisp finish, though, that wasn't really apparent in the nose.

The feel is slightly flat, though still full-bodied. A little lighter would have been perfect.

I really enjoyed this beer. It reminds me a lot of Midas Touch, but with a funky finish. Refreshing to boot.

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

A - Pours a lovely rose-pink with a 2-inch head of light pink that quickly dissipates to a slight haze and thin ring.
S - Sweet, crisp wheat, Belgian bubblegum yeast, white grapes, and floral hibiscus. Reminds me of a (high-quality) pink champagne, very flowery. Slightly sour, funky aroma that balances the sweetness nicely.
T - Taste falls a bit flat for me, mostly wheat, grape juice, and a very muted floral aspect. Reminds me of Crystal Light or something, basically a watered-down fruit drink. Too bad.
M - Thin-bodied, very crisp, with a high level of sharp carbonation. A touch too carbonated, again, this is like a floral juice beverage of some sort.
O - Not the best floral beer I've ever had, but the girlfriend will probably like it.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The second hibiscus beer I've ever had.

Pours a solid-looking, reasonably opaque red; if I didn't know better, I'd assume it was a glass of blood orange juice. There's a steady stream of small bubbles and a very thin cap. Head is little to non-existant.

There is a very sweet aroma; classic belgian notes of bubblegum and banana (almost like a hefe); somewhere in the back, the austere smell of creme de violette mixes with the cheesiness of Hershey's milk chocolate. Provocative and not unpleasant.

Flavor is muted; notes of raspberry and rhubarb jump to the forefront while overtones of sweet cream round out the middle. the finish is dry and tannic, like a well-brewed cup of black pekoe served straight-up. Oddly enough, the traditional hibiscus flavor is pretty masked; with the exception of the dry finish, I'm not really tasting it.

Mouthfeel is quite nice -- foamy, lush and soft. There's plenty of support, but it's not at all too gassy. Good work here.

Overall, this is a pleasantly refreshing brew, if not quite what I was expecting. It would make for some fine deck-sipping this summer, and I wouldn't turn down another glass, but I won't be tracking down every bottle in California, especially at 5 dollars a bottle. Worth a try, if only to inspire the homebrewers among us to take this concept and run with it.

3.62/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - poured a one finger head which disappeared quickly with little lacing - attractive deep pink colour - looks like cheap pink champagne and yet still beer - neat

S - yeasty, floral, sweet, some malt/wheat

T - sweet, not sure exactly how to put my finger on it, some malt and yeast with an unusual fruit component - also perhaps a sweet earthy vegatable flavor, lemon/cherry sour - moderately bitter - strangely refreshing - it is interesting however I would not seek this taste out

M - Not much carbonation, sour, dry like champagne

O - glad I tried this interesting beer however I would not seek it out again for the price - only grabbed it because I rarely see Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel at the LCBO and they were out of the Weheistephaner Hefeweisse (damn!) I went to buy.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy clear red/pinkish color with a tiny 1/2 light red cap that becomes a film on the top of the beer. Small spots of lace here and there on the glass that dissipate and slide back down into the remaining beer. Smell is of a light witbier with red berries, hibiscus flowers, and some slight spices. Taste is of sweet red berries, hibiscus, cranberry, with a traditional witbier aftertaste. Good carbonation with a light, crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a an interesting fruity/floral beer that is pretty refreshing.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this last night.

Poured from a 341ml. bottle, bottled March 2011.

Appearance: A dark pinkish body that resembles pureed strawberries with a light pink head (3 fingers). Retention is good and lacing is average.

Smell: Wheat aroma, very crisp with herbal and ripe fruit overtones.

Taste: A bit of sweetness tucked in the back but very leafy with some slight tropical fruit and plant stems. Overripe fruit (strawberries?) and some mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is quite low and the feel is very easy. It's refreshing though it lacks a bit of a lively punch.

Overall: Certainly different and it's easy to drink. While good, it doesn't really grab me. This would be good with a sunny day rather than the down pour we're getting.

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%

Purchased from: Williams IGA (Vienna, Ohio)
Origin: 11.5 oz Bottle
Bottled on: ?
Tasted on: 05/01/11
Glassware: Ephemere Tulip Glass
Serving Temperature: 50 F

Notes: Notches punched out of the label saying 02/09 so i'm not sure what this number means. February, 2009? February 9th? Is this an expiration date? A Born on date?

I) Appearance: Pours a extremely fizzy 1/4 finger of pure white head. It falls extremely quickly leaving no lacing what so ever. The body is an semi-translucent deep red, but when held to a light, orange wisps line the outside of the glass.

II) Smell: Tart citrus notes with a floral accompaniment. Almost a champagne smell to it. Light notes of fermented grapes.

III) Taste: I must have an old bottle because I'm not getting a lot of the flavors from other reviews that I have read. I get light citrus notes up front and a little bit of a floral taste in the finish, but otherwise not much else. It still has a nice taste and I can tell that this would be an awesome beer to have fresh.
A) Malt Intesity (1-5): 1
B) Hop Intesity (1-5): 1

IV) Mouthfeel: Thin, acidic and highly carbonated.

V) Drinkability: 5 % ABV. Light flavor. Great session beer.

VI) Concluding thoughts: I need to find a fresh bottle. This had to be an old bottle. I will re-review as soon as I can find a fresh bottle.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

12 oz bottle that is a year or so old, was sitting in the back of the beer fridge. Pours a vibrantly hazy, neon reddish-pink color with a spritzy white head. No lacing. The color of this beer is really quite stunning.

The nose definitely captures a floral essence along with a rose wine fruitiness and vinous aroma. Interesting.

Mmm, I was afraid the age would not be kind to this one, but it seems to have survived the long hibernation very well. Still tastes crisp and fresh. The beer almost tastes like sweet flower petals...very soft and creamy mouthfeel. Vinous aspect comes forth with a tart, tannic character. I thoroughly enjoyed this brew, well worth the rather steep price tag that most of the DDC bottles seem to carry. I bet this would be very good on tap as well.

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

401st review on BA
bottle to Bruery Tulip
11.2 oz

App- A very pretty mix of peaches and pinks. A very capale one and 1/2 finger head that receded semi quick but didnt leave a lot of lace.

Smell- A lot of tropical fruits on this one along with some very dry wheats. A little funk mixed with some sweet and some sugar.

Taste- It's a very basic description, but this tasted like watered down kool aid and it just was a bit flat for me. Didn't have a distinct herb bit, the look and smells were much better.

Mouth- A light bodied beer with a very high carb level. The feel was a bit thin with some sugary water.

Drink- Just too thin and light for me to get passed the lightness of the watery levels. Was a bit different which I liked but probably wont have this one again.

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured on tap at Church Key into a tuliip glass.

Giving off to a red/orange body with a nice little creamy off white head. This beer manages to keep a thin puck while drinking throughout. Some tiny lacing is visible, but the beer has this just wonderful color.

I have to say though for the smell it's pretty closed. I get a very muted clean but almost cherry cough drop smell that is hard to find. Luckily there isn't anything on here that smells bad or off putting.

First taste is kind of hoppy with a full juicy chewy body. Big herbal hibiscus tea finish. Hints of cinnamon and a great almost sweet rose petal potpurri sensation.

Pretty good overall here not sure I can compare much for this style. I think the thing that impresses me the most is the beer's appearance to say the least.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked up a bottle of this from Connecticut Avenue Wine and Liquors. What a great beer. To be clear, though, it's not a great beer because of some quirky, eyebrow-raising infusion of hibiscus. That light, floral taste is there, but this beer isn't the festina peche of the hibiscus. Instead, the flower is used more in the way that BFM uses tea. It's really light, and you have to be pretty feeling pretty keen to find it. And after tasting it used in this way, it's just how I want it. Medium carbonation, rosy color, and a little bit of body with refreshing floral/grapefruit notes. I can't wait to have it out of a tap.

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

A - hasy rosy pink, short head didn't last long, some lacing
S - floral, perfume, fruity, with a bready grain malt, and hints of tomato, interesting to say the least
T - very much like the nose, with an added sweet & sour citrus note .... i suppose i don't know what hibiscus smells or tastes like, but I'm assuming it's the tomato juice like flavour that lingers, this is like nothing else
M - strong carbonation, tart and tangy with a bitter and tingly finish
D - i like when brewers take a chance, and this is a definite chance that pays off for the most part, the overall flavour is of tomato in my opinion, i don't see anybody drinking this on the regular, but it is a nice change up now and then

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Pours a clear rose red with a pink carbonation induced head. Little retention. No lacing.

S: Smells of light flowers and perfume. It's appropriate considering this is a hibiscus beer.

T: The floral flavors come through. It's similar to a hibiscus tea, or jamaica with alcohol. Tastes of flowers, berries, a little perfumy. Reminds me of a light sour, without the sour. A little like a Flanders red, maybe? I just tried Monk's Cafe last night, and it reminds me a bit of that, but more floral.

M: Good carbonation. Feels very light. This would be a good refresher on a hot summer day.

D: This is very drinkable. There's a bitterness that makes me think of what it would be like to chew on a flower petal, but it's not a strong bitterness.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel Rosée D'hibiscus

Appearance: blood orange color, small head, and some lacing.

Smell: floral hibiscus, hops, and malts.

Taste: subtle hibiscus, some hops, and a malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: light and smooth.

Overall:
This has a very nice aroma to it, but the flavors, while well balanced, are very subdued.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer's unique color immediately grabbed my attention: deep pink approaching peach or light orange along the edges. Don't judge me, but I thought of some kind of Franzia (ok, go ahead and judge me). A moderate pale head fades fairly quickly, but a thin layer remains for quite a while.

The aroma, for me, was initially split evenly between fruit and spice, with the floral nose coming a bit later. The fruit I smelled was something like ripe peach with white grapes and the spice reminded me of a full bodied witbeer with coriander and another subtle earthy smell I couldn't quite place (grains of paradise?). On the second smell, the hibiscus was more apparent. From a bit further up from the glass, this reminded me of some kind of soap, but when I really dove in, the floral aroma blended in nicely.

The beer's initial taste was somewhat tart. I'm not sure I was expecting that. However, the acidity was just enough to make it refreshing despite a nice gentle bitterness, possibly from the flowers. I definitely got some notes of stone fruit, or maybe unripe pear. A wheat aftertaste became more apparent as I let the beer warm to room temp.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth, with slightly more body than the average wheat beer.

Overall, I think this would be an excellent beer for sitting on a gazebo on a summer day. It's light and tart enough to be refreshing, especially when cold, yet interesting and incredibly unique. I ran a Dieu du Ciel tasting today at my store's beer department and this was the first beer I used to reel people in, especially a few ladies not used to craft beer. This beer's uniqueness really makes me wonder why more people don't experiment with floral beers. I'd really like to try a saison brewed with lavender or something. Maybe someone could do an IPA with poppies, haha. There are lots of possibilities.

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

Wanted to try the peche mortel but it wasn't tapped yet :(...either way the blue monk in buffalo,ny always has an amazing selection.

Appearance:
the beer looks like grapefruit juice, possibly a mixed drink? I was very confused by how stark pink this beer is. There was little head, but the drink still managed to have some light fizz rising from the bottom. I'm not entirely convinced that this beer was the correct choice...we shall see if it smells and tastes like beer.

Smell:
Sweet floral yet also sour with a bite. I am reminded of raspberry and strawberry. Looks and smells like a fruit juice, I'm still not convinced that I will like this beer, but it's worth a shot.

Taste:
Sweet, but also tart. I nice dry finish that leaves a floral sourness in the aftertaste. This beer paired well with the sweetness to my duck reuben, specifically it helped break up the food's flavors while also finishing dry to satiate each bite. I would not want to sit and sip this beer, but sometimes a fruity beer such as this helps to cleanse the palate nicely. I benefited from the herbal, fruitiness that was light in comparison to such a heavy sandwich.

Mouthfeel:
Sour and dry, medium bodied with light carbonation. Comparable to a wine or spritzer, but a hard to compare to other beers. It reminds me very much of a Blaugies Darbyste with the sourness and fruit character, but distinguishably unique to other beers I've had.

Drinkability:
A warming Belgian on a cold winter day generally hits the spot, but this one was lacking and did more hitting the wallet than anything else. I enjoyed it accompanying my meal, but I definitely skipped out on dessert. I still would like to try more from this brewery, but I'll be more likely to discriminate in the future.

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

It's beers like this that make me happy to live in Québec.

My pour didnt work out very well (not much head to speak of), but the colour of this beer is so enticing it more than makes up for it. The aroma is intense, full of flowers and spice with fruity undertones that prepare you very well for the taste you're about to experience.

I never imagined that flowers would taste so good, but in beer form they're surprisingly pleasant. You'd think a beer this pink would be very sweet but the flavour is balanced quite well with what seems to be a bitterness derived from the hibiscus.

Perhaps its just my beer, but it seems a little flat. Not so much that it takes away from the experience though. This lack of carbonation does, however, make it easy to drink.

Overall, this is a very good beer. I'd recommend trying this if you enjoy wheat beers with creative spices.

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%

The beer is a dark pink color with some reddish-orange highlights. Even the thin head is a shade of pink.

Very aromatic! Definite Belgian qualities with great wheat character, sawdust, white grape juice and white wine acidity. The flowers really come through in the form of rose water.

The taste is big on spice and the white wine character is still there. Coriander plays a big role and some additive, maybe the flowers, come off as bitter. Surprisingly full bodied and could be a bit more crisp in the mouthfeel and carbonation department. That being said, the more I drink it, the more I like it.

2.34/5  rDev -38.7%

A: Perhaps the most interesting looking beer I've seen. The color is a rosy amber color and clouded due to being unfiltered. The head is billowy at first, but subsides quickly, leaving not much lacing. The carbonation sticks to the sides of my glass, making it almost look like pink champagne.

S: Incredibly floral smelling. I would say rose, but hibiscus is apparently the true aroma. I guess I don't know my flowers. It doesn't smell like a beer to me, it smells like a bad perfume because all I get is that floral aroma and a muddled sweetness.

T: All I will say about the taste is that it's interesting. The flower is still the dominant flavor, helped along by a slight tartness from citrus fruits. It kind of reminds me of drinking rose water, which is a very unpleasant experience. The floral flavor lingers, but without something to balance the flavor on the back end my mouth feels like I just drank dirty water. I'll give it some points for uniqueness, but I do not enjoy the taste of this beer at all

M: A light and crisp beer, light bodied, medium carbonation.

D: I found this beer fairly undrinkable. The partner with whom I was sharing the beer actually ended up dumping it because of how much she disliked it. Good mouthfeel, good (and interesting) coloring, but the flavor is perfume-like and unbalanced. I would never seek this beer out, and frankly I would not accept it if someone tried to give me one.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz poured into an Ommegang tulip.

Appearance: murky orange-brown with minimal white head and no lacing.

Aroma: cranberries, sour, sweet and honey.

Flavor: honey, spices, citrus and flowers.

Mouthfeel: medium body and medium carbonation.

Overall impression: tart, sour and sweet, this herb beer is interesting and unique. not worth a second try.

3.51/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance - Rose-pink, hazy. Poured aggressively to get about a finger of pure white head

Aroma - Hibiscus and slight tart fruit. Floral.

Taste - Very light with pronounced notes of citrus and hibiscus.

Mouthfeel - Not a lot of carbonation but enough that paired with the tartness, it's a dry, tart taste.

Drinkability - Interesting and drinkable but not a beer I would necessarily go out of my way to have on a regular basis.

Rosée D'Hibiscus from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!