Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rosée D'Hibiscus | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Rosée D'HibiscusRosée D'Hibiscus

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by Sammy on 06-06-2006

4.2

2.34/5  rDev -38.9%

A: Perhaps the most interesting looking beer I've seen. The color is a rosy amber color and clouded due to being unfiltered. The head is billowy at first, but subsides quickly, leaving not much lacing. The carbonation sticks to the sides of my glass, making it almost look like pink champagne.

S: Incredibly floral smelling. I would say rose, but hibiscus is apparently the true aroma. I guess I don't know my flowers. It doesn't smell like a beer to me, it smells like a bad perfume because all I get is that floral aroma and a muddled sweetness.

T: All I will say about the taste is that it's interesting. The flower is still the dominant flavor, helped along by a slight tartness from citrus fruits. It kind of reminds me of drinking rose water, which is a very unpleasant experience. The floral flavor lingers, but without something to balance the flavor on the back end my mouth feels like I just drank dirty water. I'll give it some points for uniqueness, but I do not enjoy the taste of this beer at all

M: A light and crisp beer, light bodied, medium carbonation.

D: I found this beer fairly undrinkable. The partner with whom I was sharing the beer actually ended up dumping it because of how much she disliked it. Good mouthfeel, good (and interesting) coloring, but the flavor is perfume-like and unbalanced. I would never seek this beer out, and frankly I would not accept it if someone tried to give me one.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz poured into an Ommegang tulip.

Appearance: murky orange-brown with minimal white head and no lacing.

Aroma: cranberries, sour, sweet and honey.

Flavor: honey, spices, citrus and flowers.

Mouthfeel: medium body and medium carbonation.

Overall impression: tart, sour and sweet, this herb beer is interesting and unique. not worth a second try.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance - Rose-pink, hazy. Poured aggressively to get about a finger of pure white head

Aroma - Hibiscus and slight tart fruit. Floral.

Taste - Very light with pronounced notes of citrus and hibiscus.

Mouthfeel - Not a lot of carbonation but enough that paired with the tartness, it's a dry, tart taste.

Drinkability - Interesting and drinkable but not a beer I would necessarily go out of my way to have on a regular basis.

A: Pink/red color, unfiltered with pinkish white head. Good retention and lacing. Really looks like most framboise lambik out there.

S: The flowers are definitely there. Someone said lychee and the sourness and sweetness there are really well defined by the lychee. Lemon is definitely there thanks to the wheat. Some belgian yeast spices: cinnamon, cloves and light pepper.

T: Yet again, a lot of flowers are in there. Good bready malt characteristics. Yet again, lychee and lemons are there with the belgian yeast spices: cinnamon, cloves and light pepper.

M: Solid medium feel with medium carbonation. A little more carbonation would have made this perfect though.

D: Really easy to drink. One of my favorite summer brew.

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

got at an lcbo, date reads 05/2010.

pours a pink/red/orange colour with almost no head and didn't retain much lacing.

smells sweet. floral and grapefruit aromas. wheat and malt also present.

taste is pretty much what the label describes. had a nice sourness to it. though not much carbonation, it was well balanced and drinkable - i enjoyed it.

Pours a deep rosy light red pink color with a thin fizzy white/yellow head with only the slightest hint of lacing. Smells of flowers, wheat, and maybe some citrus. Tastes of the hibiscus flower, some malts, orange, and some sourness. Mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is lively. Drinkability is fairly high.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance - Poured a rose-ish pink, very little head (1/2 finger).

Nose - Hibiscus first and foremost. Hints of cherries and strawberries. Very floral.

Taste - Hibiscus again, but mild. Well balanced. Lemony citrus. Mild bitterness, then mild lingering honey sweetness near the finish.

Mouthfeel - A little spritzy. Felt like very little carbonation but what little there is washed over quickly.

Drinkability - Not sure. Interesting brew, but not something I'd go out of my way to get.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

341 ml served in a chilled glass, no lime added.

Apperance - beer pours a pink/light red colour, i guess you could say rosee! The beer is not clear, pretty hard to tell carbonation levels. The head was minimal the whole pour and is gone by the time i tried a sip.

Smell - I can pick up some floral hints along with citrus and a bit of sweetness. There are definite hints of earthy tones as well.

Taste - distinct taste, nothing amazing. There are floral hints, almost from a grapefruit type of drink base. There is a slight bitter, tangy taste near the end of the drink.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation adds some bitterness and brings the citrus base fwd. There is not much else added. Again, the floral taste really comes through.

Drinkability - Not my type of beer, happy i was able to try it but not something i would go after.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into a stemmed glass, this was almost a dark pink. Maybe more rose' mahogany in color. A soft-drink like fizzy head didn't stay for longer than 5 seconds.

Aroma was surprisingly mild. Slightly fruit sweetness was present, and an overall floral sense.

The taste was almost like tropical fruit juice with the sweetness taken away.

Mouthfeel was thin and the taste finished short.

Drinkability was actually easy, but the flavor isn't making me want another. It's fine for what it is...almost like a champagne beer. I could see it having it's time and place, maybe for people who are trying to slowly make the cross from fizzy fruity drinks into the beer world.

4.41/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear, red/copper color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Decent retention and decent lacing. Smells of citrus, sweet malt, slight tart malt, hint of hops, hint of grass, floral aroma, and hint of spice. Fits the style of a Herbed / Spiced beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is also a slight tang, to the feel. Tastes of slight tart malt, slight citrus (orange?), slight hop, slight wood, floral, spice, and slight sweet malt. Overall, lacing in appearance, but great aroma, blend, body, and complexity.

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

From notes taken on 11/10/10 at the Armsby Abbey. Poured into a stemmed tumbler. This was by far the favourite of the night for all of us.

A - A ruby red grapefruit type pour with a light two finger head that leaves a nice white halo. Just a pretty little glass of pink liquid.

S - Sour, citrus notes with some very floral backings. Not a hoppy type floral but literal floral/herbal notes.

T - Massively citrus yet light floral notes. This is just an absolute enjoyment to drink. Very similar to a saison.

M - Light carbonation but oh so crisp and refreshing. Cant stress enough how refreshing this is.

D - Superb flavours and appearnce makes this one a huge WOW. Wasn't expecting much from this and it shocked all of us just how nice this beer was. Definately need to get a bottle of this.

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

A- light red-amber in color, not much head. Does not look very heavy at all. Paper thin consistency. Decent looking.

S - Very floral. Grass. Pine. Black tea.

T - Not much here. A decent flavor - it's certainly fresh but it lacks distinction in any key direction. Citrus, a little bit tart.

M - Very, very light.

D - The only way I can imagine drinking this is by the pitcher sitting at a pool on vacation in France. Very drinkable - a beer your grandmother would like. But not too exciting and I don't think I'd get it again.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

A: The beer is cloudy dark pink in color, almost resembling grapefruit juice. It has lacy patterns of bubbles covering the surface.
S: Aromas of hibiscus flowers really stand out in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is dominated by tropical flavors from the hibiscus flowers. There are also some notes of fruits and hints of sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied and crisp on the palate with a slight amount of carbonation.
D: The beer isn't that difficult to drink and has some thirst-quenching properties.

Thanks to Korguy123 for this one!

A: Pours a cloudy pink/red color with a light pink head. Decent head retention, but little lacing.

S: A really nice floral aroma, the hisbiscus comes through as well as red berries.

T: A lot more red fruit here, some pink grapefruit and peach at the end with a slight spiciness as well.

D/M: Light bodied, but crisp. It has a punch like quality, but very easy to drink. A nice beer for a change of pace once in a while.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Reddish pink colour with no head. Hazy. Intersting look.

S - Really flowery aroma, fruity as well.

T - Really floral in the mouth but not alot else there.

M - Smooth in the mouth, nice light body, carbonation is where it should be.

D - Quite high drinkability. Nothing wrong with this at all. Nice low ABV and a completely different flavour could mean good sessions if you're into this.

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%

This is another one of those beers you see once in a while but avoid for various reasons. They had this on tap at Bodega and my wife wanted to order this, so seemed like a perfect time to give it a shot.

The appearance is cloudy and light pink - the color of watermelon water I suppose. Not initially too inviting. No real head or lace on this one. The high carbonation is apparent though.

Smells very floral, slightly fruity like raspberries or strawberries.

Tasted like a nice easy-going saison. Very crisp, clean tasting. Floral - I guess it's the hibiscus but I'm not sure I've tasted it ever before... there's some lemon to it and a very faint Belgiany yeast taste.

Drinkability is outstanding. Very quaffable. Bodega's menu said this was 9%, but the website must be correct, because the alcohol is not noticeable at all. Overall an interesting beer that I could potentially drink all night, however, the flavor is so delicate that I would soon be craving something with some more umph to it.

2.72/5  rDev -29%

341 mL, bottled 03/10, purchased 7/10 at the LCBO. Split into a wine glass for my wife and a tulip for myself.

A: Pours a beautiful pink/rose colour and cloudy my wife loved the look, as did my 4 y/o daughter, but there was only minimal fizzy head that was gone before I knew it and no lacing. This could have been a 4.5 or 5 if it was lacing...

S: Aromas are enjoyable and wit-like. A bit of coriander, a slight flowery nature with an almost creamy undertone. Nice.

T/M: Well, I have never had hibiscus in anything before, and I certainly won't be seeking it out now. I assume that is what the overpowering rose-like flavour in the beer is. It covers up (to me) most of the wheat qualities, although it is quite viscous... That though is to its detriment as the power of the flower hangs on for (seemingly) an hour...

D: Sorry. Never having this one again. I was disappointed when after 1 sip, my wife said "No" and passed it to me to drink.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Part of the summer seasonal offerings from the LCBO.

Pours a dark copper amber with some head. Has a cloudy appreance and lots of carbonation.
Potent smell of fruit and spices. A flowery aroma lingers. Has a very fefreshing grapefruit smell.
The taste is where the yeast comes in, wheat dominates with a pleasant tickle of fruit at the end. Some bitterness to the sip.
Medium mouthfeel which is expected for a wheat style beer.
Overall, I'm somewhat impressed: more so than i thought; this was my second bottle and I didn't remember liking it as much as the first time. I can see having a few of these in a session, on the deck in the summer. Delicious.

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%

Finally, drinking a beer from a craft beer Canadian Brewery OTHER than Unibroue (who I love, of course).

Into a tulip, pours a pinkish head atop a murky rosy body. The head dies down quickly, not much to see for long.

Aromas of hibiscus, very floral and almost soapy. Fairly pleasant, medium intensity.

Flavors are a floral spicy, with some moderately hoppy notes on the front to mid-point. Not too bad but not blowing my mind.

The mouthfeel is actually quite substantial at first. Not necessarily thick, but definitely exhibits some body. Then it dies down to a thin shadow of itself a little later on.

Overall, it's a novelty beer. It's not something I will reach for again and again, however, I am glad I tried it, as it there is a good balance between the hibiscus, the spices, and the hops. Just ultimately not my cup of tea.

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Peachy, opaque body. Nice crisp white head with a small amount of lacing. Aromas of hibiscus, peach- very fruity and floral! Excellent mouthfeel, very nice amount of carbonation. Flowers, peach, mango on the tongue, extremely refreshing. Couldn't drink more than a couple or three at a time. Nice with a bowl of kush!

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - The beer pours a hazy ruby red colour with a small fizzy white head. I can't make out much carbonation due to the colour of the beer. There isn't much lacing at all, and the head didn't last very long before it was gone.

Smell - I can smell wheat, hops, citrus, and floral notes.

Taste & Mouth - the beer has a fair amount of carbonation, leaving it feeling nice and light and refreshing. The beer reminds me of a glass of pink lemonade, not only because of the look, but the taste as well. I can taste wheat and hops at first, and then a lemony sweetness kicks in. It finishes with a nice balance of sweet and sour after taste.

Drink - I can't say I've ever had a beer like this before.. Points for originality and it actually tastes pretty good. A must try in my opinion.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue X:

"Pinkish Hibiscus" is brewed with hibiscus flowers, which are added during the brewing process to lend their unique character. Interesting.

Pours a cloudy (unfiltered), peach- and rose-colored beer with a pink-tinted lace. Sweet and floral in the nose (lilac), with some citrus zest in the back and a dusting of malt. Very aromatic and pleasing. Bitty and crisp on the palate, with a light and semi-fluffy body. Very zesty, near puckering up front with a shot of lemon and bitter orange. Watery cherry and grass. Faint and powdery suggestions of savory spices way in the back. Wheat and husk beneath and toward the end. Finish is bone dry and clean.
A very refreshing twist on wheat ales. To hell with lemons! We'll take our wheat with hibiscus any day.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Beer bottle (34.1 cl.), tasted in 2010.

Appearance : pale red color, with smal beige head (not persistent).
Smell : fruity aromas
Taste and mouthfeel : dry hoppy and light fruity flavors.
Drinkability : an average beer in the style Herbed and spiced beer.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

I will review this with the knowledge that this is not my kind of beer and rate accordingly. First of all this looks a bit like a well stocked sangria colour. this makes sense since it is a hibiscus beer. The foam is thin and like a typical big industry rice/corn lager. the scent also makes me think of fruit punch/sangria which is fine. there is nothing cloying here which is what I would be wary of. This does taste like beer. it is a good beer foundation with some sweetness and a vigorous fruit flavour. That being said it is very palatable even though it would not be my choice of a beer. In short if you want a quality hibiscus beer this is likely among the best you will find. I can see drinking this at a party on a balcony in the hot humid summer.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured a really weird, hazy blood red with very little head. Spicy, floral, and kind of strange, but light and pleasant. Fairly acidic, it grew on me from beginning to end. The spiciness is strange at first, but seems to come into its own, tending toward a saison more than any style.

Rosée D'Hibiscus from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!