Blanche Du Paradis | Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!

Blanche Du ParadisBlanche Du Paradis

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Quebec, Canada
dieuduciel.com

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002

4.84/5  rDev +26.7%

What a beautiful Witte Beer! I've never had a White beer taste or smell like this before! Peppery, hazy, unfilitered, and amazingly complex. This is a White beer with huevos, unlike any I've ever had before. Very dank. Highly recommended, and extremely refreshing. Chris

4.63/5  rDev +21.2%

I love a good white beer, and this is a good white beer. I had this a few times, as I was on a beer holiday and I needed something on the lighter side, but with taste. It was a pale yellow colour, cloudy, with a big fluffy white head. It smelled spicy and light, a bit lemony/ citrusy. Tasted like your typical belgian white- fruity, spicy, wheaty. It was very smooth going down too, soft and silky in your mouth. Drinkability is excellent, as it's so simply refreshing and complex at the same time, just a wonderful beer by DDC.

4.58/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Aroma is spices, wheat, citrus and yeast. The flavor is spices/coriander, citrus, wheat, fruit, very mild heat and a tart finish.

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

11.5 oz. bottle dated 2016-07-04

Pours foggy hazy straw yellow with a quickly receding frothy white foam head. Smells like orange citrus, lemon, coriander, wheat, peppery spice, clove, banana, apricot, vanilla, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like orange citrus, lemon, coriander, wheat, peppery spice, clove, banana, apricot, vanilla, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium bodied, creamy with moderate carbonation. Overall a real nice witbier.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Pale yellow with a nice off-white head that lasts and leaves nice lacing as well. The aroma screams classic Quebecois wit. Orange peel, coriander, yeast complexities, wheat, and spicy/herbal-floral hops. The taste is spicy up front with some spicy hops in the middle and a dry slightly hoppy and fruity finish. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing and the drinkability is very, very good. A very refreshing witbier. One of the best in Montreal.

4.47/5  rDev +17%

This was the best beer on when we visited in April. Clear straw color when served, but it came with an awesome peppery aroma. Low to no head meant no lacing when we were through. Taste was a bit sweet, but with an awesome black peper aftertaste. This was my first 'pepper' encounter, and I enjoyed it very much.

4.47/5  rDev +17%

On-tap at the Manhattan Ginger Man.

A: Extremely pale straw body with a thin, fine, sticky white head. Good lace. Attractive.

S: Very light, bright, and herbal, with plenty of orange peel and some prominent clove spice. Excellent.

T: Follows the nose, with a terrific balance of spice, flowers, citrus, and wheat malt. A bit of cotton candy and minerality as well. Very fresh and tasty.

M: Light, lively, and creamy. Great.

O: Wonderful Witbier, among the best I've ever had. Highly recommended if you're in the mood for something refreshing.

Cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours out a hazed honey apricot in appearance, creamy white head that settles to a thick cap.

Aroma is simply gorgeous, light wheat, floral notes, very subtle citrus and spice, some peach yogurt.

The flavour is also elegant, subtle, contained yet with all the right goods in all the right places. Tangy wheat and citrus, light fruity middle, tart citrus and floral finish, crisp and dry, aftertaste is a short lingering of citrus zest.

Mouthfeel is light with just the right amount of carbonation, dry and crisp and very refreshing.

It's been a while since I've sampled a beer that's impressed me so much that hasn't hit me on the head and knocked me on my ass, and the refinement of this beautiful witbier makes a perfect reality check. Subtle, enticing, this wit is like the love of your life blowing you a kiss.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

11.5 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a short white head that doesn't last long, Carbonation is heavy - on close inspection it looks sort of like heavy rain upside down. Lacing moderate. I like the look of this beer.

Aroma: Smells of lemon, orange, wheat, spices, and some faint grass. One of those rare beers that actually smells like what its ad copy says it'll smell like.

Taste: Oh my. This beer is the McCoy. (Sorry, le McCoy.) Big, pronounced flavors follow the nose. Lemon and spices lead the way. Gets more complex as it warms. More of the citrus and spice notes make themselves present over the course of the drink. Very nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Perfect depth - easy and refreshing, too.

Overall: I'm glad I bought this on impulse - it's a terrific witbier. I paired it with polenta, tomatoes, basil and kale and it made for an ideal summer meal. I would describe this as a beer to seek out - I definitely want to try more from this brewery. Would consider a visit when next I'm in Montreal. And that's all on the strength of this one beer.

4.39/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured with a moderate-sized, white head that hung around for a while before fading to a thin film. Body is light yellow and hazy.

S: Perfumey aroma with the expected coriander and citrus notes, but everything is nicely balanced, with nothing overwhelming at all.

T: Just as nicely balanced as the aroma... the spiciness and orange complement each other well. Not sickening at all, like some Witbiers tend to be. Touch of refreshing tartness in the finish.

M: Body is light-moderate, with moderate-high carbonation.

D: A very refreshing Witbier... one of the better examples of the style that I've had.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Been quite a while since I've had a Witbier. With that said this one resparked my interest to give them a go. This one really hits all the nice marks of the best of them. Sweet yet very drinkable, Grassy, earthy with some hop crisp balance at the end. Very nice warm weather beer. Recommend.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Should I review this?? I snagged enough of my wife's 16 oz serving, so it's okay. A beautiful drink. I am not the biggest fan of the style, but this one is a classic. Truly refreshing. This brew has a lot of citrus with the spice to match (I hate overly spices whites). I really wish this was my local... maybe I'll have to learn French!! Smokes the Hoegaarden I was sipping at Le Festival du Jazz IMO.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a nice turbid yellow with a 1/8 inch of bright white head. Not a lot of lacing. Good retention though.

Nice fresh orange and coriander nose with a hint of nutmeg or cinnamon, rose petals, hay, and some creamy banana and just a slight trace of saddle leather.

The taste is lemony orange, toasty with nice wheatiness throughout and a soft herbal hopping with a nice tart finish and a tangy wetness in the aftertaste.

This beer is refreshing but perhaps just a tad thin in the mouthfeel.

I reckon I could drink a mess of these all summer long. Dieu Du Ciel seldom miss the mark over a broad range of styles, and this is no exception.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very nice beer.
It is quite pale, in color, and has a tight white head that dissipates quickly.
Kind of spicy, in a citrus-y way-- I thought grapefruit at first, then peach, but my brother-in-law had a sip and said that grapefruit was right.
Not my favorite style of beer, by a long shot, but a strong reason to become a fan of this style. I was very impressed.

4.28/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Blanche Du Paradis from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!