Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Barleywine AleBourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: English Barleywine

Aged in the third-use barrels that were once home to Kentucky bourbon and then our renowned Bourbon County Stout, this traditional English-style barleywine possesses the subtlety of flavor that only comes from a barrel that’s gone through many seasons of ritual care. The intricacies of the previous barrel denizens – oak, charcoal, hints of tobacco and vanilla, and that signature bourbon heat – are all present in this beer. Hearty and complex, Bourbon County Brand Barleywine is a titan and a timeline; a bold, flavorful journey through the craft of barrel aging.

Added by jplopez21 on 10-04-2013

Reviews: 565 | Ratings: 5,028

2014 Vintage poured into a Stone RIS tulip glass

A - Rich, ruby red appearance w a half finger of khaki head. Super tight bubbles.

S - Wow. Massive bourbon, dark fruits - cherries, plums, figs. Tons of caramel, toffee, some vanilla from the barrels. Very "desserty".

T - Amazing, especially for an 11% beer. Sweet dark fruits up front - cherries, plums. Some caramel and toffee, with bourbon on the finish. Stupid easy drinking for the ABV. So darn good.

M - Full bodied, velvety, low carbonation.

O - for my money and availability this is the best BABW I've had. 100/100.

2014 vintage, kept this in the cellar for a little over a year.
Poured into a snifter.
A - Pours a very dark brown, maybe black, with a small tan head that settles quickly to a very thin ring.
S - Aroma is molasses and raisins and bourbon.
T - There's a lot going on here. A lot of raisin or prune, vanilla and bourbon. If this beer was hot when new it has certainly mellowed over the year into warm perfection.
M - Carbonation is low. Mouth feel is creamy and a little sticky.
O - I like barleywines and this is the finest I have ever tasted. I don't know how anyone could do better.
*** Just opened a 2 year old bottle. So smooth.

First had 1/24/15 at the Mint, 2013 vintage. The barleywine itself is very good, but the bourbon barrel again is what makes this beer. I'd rate it much higher given the opertunity. Also had the 2014 which wasn't quite as good, but just a step below it.

I didn't expect to get any of this beer. My schedule didn't allow for much truck chasing and even though I've greatly enjoyed the Bourbon Counties, maybe I didn't love them enough to fight the GI Zombies and alter my life. Providence brought me and this beer together. After getting to Lansing, instead of going to the office, I thought "what the heck, let's see if Big Ten Oades has any Black Friday leftovers". And what do you know, thanks to a cancellation, a mix four-pack was all mine.

And what a break that turned out to be! While it might be too sweet for some, sweet is AOK with me. Combined with the typical Appalaichan-holler amount of bourbon GI provides, it's a sweet, brawling, suckerpunching shot of perfection.

Pitch perfect this shit is. The best beer I've had, and the first 5 I've ever issued (although Heady would have got one if it wasn't so ugly). I've heard GI Zombies say "yeah, it's good, but it's no King Henry". Not sure how King Henry could improve much on this....but the possibility that it does sure is appealing.

This beer is stunning. Almost black and smells like heaven. Sweet aroma with vanilla, oak, chocolate notes, raisins. The taste is all of this with a silky mouthfeel. Giving this beer a 5. Can't see how it could be improved.

I don't grade lightly, but wow.
A: dark, deep English chestnut, not quite fully opaque. Short lived head minimal lacing.
S: like someone carmelizing figs with molasses and butter. The smell on the finish persists forv long, long time.
T: same as the smell, but the buttery flavors are stronger. The bourbon and the alcohol are hidden. Unlike the stout this just picks up toffee and caramel along with some vanilla oak.
M: again buttery. This coats your whole mouth, and remains after you swallow. It's is viscous and the carbonation is just right.
O: can't conceive of something better. As good perhaps, but this is sublime.

A - Pours a dark, cloudy brown with minimal head. Not much lacing.

S - Bourbon, caramel, and roasted malts dominate with some vanilla notes mixed in as well.

T - The taste follows the nose, but is much deeper and more balanced. Quite a lot of vanilla, wood, bourbon, caramel, roasted malts, candied and dried fruit. The flavors are oddly muddled yet retain the nuance you look for in the combination of delicious flavors.

M - Slight bit of carbonation, perfect amount of fullness in the body. Spot on!

O - This beer is outstanding! I prefer this slightly over the Bourbon County Brand Stout! A must try for anyone!

Lots of dark dried fruit tones, prunes, raisins, slight apricot, candid sugar, maple syrup.. smoother than a ride in your favorite sports car, but with oomph and balls.

Served in a crystal snifter glass.

Looks like a lightly colored stout, but with hints of gold shining through. Very unique for a barleywine and you can see the impact of the barrel aging. Not a lot of head or lacing, but I wasn't expecting much.

Aroma is a combination of roasted malts, chocolate, butter toffee and raisins.

Wow. The flavors are tremendous. The roasted malts of a stout complementing the sweetness of the barley wine. Amazing! Vanilla, brown sugar, toffee, roasted malts, raisins and a slightly-sweet chocolate flavor round out this beauty. Maybe one of the most unique flavors I have had in a beer.

Succulent, velvety and light all at the same time. Rich and creamy and leaves one wanting more.

I am so glad I picked this up when it was available. I paid $22 for a four pack, but when you compare this beer to those bombers selling for $15-20 each, this is a steal. Don't pass it up if you see it!

An incredible beer. It completely redefined what a beer could/should taste like for me.

A: A dark brown with slightly reddish hues. Poured with a light brown/tan head.
S: Has an aroma containing fruity fig smells as well as caramel, whiskey, and some malts (chocolate).
T: A very complex and balanced flavor. Has a great balance and blend of fruity fig flavors and whiskey, along with cherry and chocolate.
M: Smooth, heavy, and thick without being overbearing or weighty.
O: An amazing beer and I look forward to having it again.

Pours super dark, smells like a bourbon barrel. Almost has a sweet smell to it. Definitely taste the alcohol, yet it's very drinkable for a beer this strong. Tastes dark and fruity. Taste is fleeting; it doesn't hang out for very long.

Wife's review: "It's like a trick. It was sweet at first and then way too strong. Is this even beer?"

OK, first of all: this is the best BBA beer I've ever had.

Once you open the bottle, the aroma is intoxicating. Maple syrup, toasty bourbon, caramel, molasses, have mercy. Once of the best-smelling BBA beer's I've ever had, too.

Taste is...wow. So good. Thick, dense, formidable. I've had a lot of BBA's, and many times, the bourbon is simply ttoo overwhelming, taking away from other base ingredients. Not so with Goose Island's. The bourbon is smack-your-lips tasty, sweet, and residual. Aftertaste is very pleasant; I was going to smoke a cigar with this one, but I didn't want to do anything to change the flavor. Caramel chocolate, mocha, vanilla. Wow.

Very warming. I got shivers from drinking it.

Overall, I'm glad I picked it up. I love great beers, but I normally avoid going over $15 for a bottle - still, I'm very happy with this selection. A must-try. Definitely looking forward to trying the other Bourbon County's by Goose! (I stumbled upon this one in a janky, sketchy-looking liquor store on the way home. Can't judge a liquor store by the outside!)

2014 Vintage
Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours an opaque ruby-brown with a one-finger tan head which quickly vaporized, leaving a thin, bubbly film behind. Rings of lacing consisting of teeny, tiny, bubbles.

S - Powerful aroma of toffee, fruit cake, date, plum, fig, and prune. Smells delicious.

T - Matches the nose well, with extra caramel, oak, and sherry/port notes not as prevalent in the aroma. Rich sweet plums and cherries in the mid palate. Hints of tobacco, leather, vanilla bean, and molasses. Some earthy hop comes through in the long finish. ABV present as a bite in the finish but still well hidden. The flavors blend and swirl in seemingly endless complexities. Fantastic.

M - Full body with delicately low carbonation. Slick, slightly syrupy finish; coats the tongue completely Overall feel is smooth.

O - Lives up to the hype, and pretty much perfection. Certainly the best barleywine ever to grace my lips. 5/5.

Poured into a wine glass. This is just amazing... pour is pitch brown, low carbonation. Once swirled, a short lived head forms to release the aroma. The booze is well hidden in both the aroma and taste. I smell dark fruit, strong sweet licorice, vanilla. Taste is licorice, oak, with a lasting raisin on the mouth. Mouthful is full, slightly sticky. Overall this beer is perfect! Bought 3 4-packs and am cellaring 2 packs, can't wait. I also plan on doing a side by side with other barleywines.

Rich smokiness layered with a bitter burnt toffee sweetness gives this beer a complexity. Add an alcohol burn along with the bourbon from the barrels and this beer is a winner. Definitely needs some aging to mellow out, but I enjoy the aggressiveness of the young beer.

Bottled on 09/18/2014. Poured from the bottle into a snifter at 55F. It's dark, but when held up to the light, a nice ruby red shines through. I inverted the bottle before I poured, so there is some sediment. I love a big, unfiltered beer. About a finger of khaki head that goes away completely within a minute leaving about a mm wide ring around the edge of the glass with no lacing - *even the ring is gone after I finish my review*. On the nose there is raisin, caramel, plum, fig, and an almost cashew like smell lingering in the background. The most robust, complex smelling beer I've tried in a long time. And since it's over a year old (on top of 5 years of age at the brewery), there are no hops to speak of. To taste, chocolate shines through the most, then some ripe dark fruits (raisins, figs mostly) as if they've been soaking in some of the smoothest bourbon on the planet for a long, long time, followed up by a distinct oak aftertaste with a tiny bit of char at the end. Minutes after each sip, there's caramel left on the palette, which is very pleasing to me. It's relatively dry, and I would guess around 10% abv, but 12.3% abv has mellowed very nicely due to the years of age - mellowed to the point that it really only warms me from the inside. It's actually very smooth on the palate, not a whole lot of carbonation to speak of, but it's there, sort of brightening up and bringing out the flavor profile. Very, very good beer. For 22 bucks a 4 pack, it had better be good... Anyone hesitant to shell out the dough should take my advice: buy this beer. It's definitely the best barleywine I've ever tried, and probably in my top 3 favorites of all time.

Excuse me! Why are they still selling this as if it wasn't the best of the whole collection! I was able to get one of all the bourbon county release and this by far has the most flavor of the collection!! By the way I don't noally like barley wines! Thank your bourbon county! My wait n line was well worth it!!

Kudos to goose iskand, this is the best brew I've had, I poured this 2014 in 12.19.15 into a snifter and it's full of aromas. I get the aromas of dark fruits like fig, prunes, grape juice, maple syrup, and everything tasty. This brew has no head and it's pitch black like motor oil but it's good and tasty. Overall this is black gold.... this is one of the best brews I've had since the flavors are not overwhelming, but just right.

12oz Bottle.

Appearance - Dark brown hue.

Smell - Bourbon, caramel, smokiness, very complex...

Taste - Brown sugar, caramel dred fruits. No preceivable alcohol. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Incredibly drinkable. Medium attenuation. Perfect carbonation.

Overall - Highly recommend. Best barleywine I have ever had!

Grade (A+)

Just a completely perfect beer. Can't imagine how you could improve on this one.
Looks wonderful, smells wonderful, tastes incredible. Dark fruits, Vanilla, bourbon, heaven (that's a flavor right?).
I really wish this beer was easier to get.

Been quite a while since I've given a perfect score but this beer more than deserves it... easily the finest Barleywine I've ever had...

Like a booze laced English pudding in a glass... the bourbon is present but rather subtle... it works perfectly here and allows all the different layers of the beer to shine... big chocolate finish surprises me...

Elaboration is unnecessary here... if you see it, buy it... its amazing... a sipper for sure, but a world class one...

EDIT: if I could give this motherf*&ker a 10 instead of a 5, I would... its better everytime I drink it... easily, easily eclipes any barleywine I've ever had and quite possibly any beer I've ever had.... it is embarassingly delicious and, IMO, the best of any of the Bourbon County offerings...

I haven't had many barleywines but this one set the bar pretty high for me. I savored this beer for a good 90 minutes, and I appreciated every single sniff and sip. I drank this one in a 16oz wine glass, gave some room for some swirling.

I also made sure I wasn't eating anything during the tasting, wanted my palate clean. This was one of those ales where you just want it to never leave your mouth. It's that delectable. For my first Bourbon County beer, this one greatly exceeded my expectations.

This really is not that different from the original BCBS.

You can glorify it all you want, but let's get real, it's the original bourbon county that is slightly more sweet. The end.

On a side note, I basically reviewed this as a stout and not a barleywine. I'm not sure why they throw barleywine into the title when clearly, this is NOT a representation of a barleywine whatsoever. As a beer in general, this is out of this fucking world. As for a barleywine, why call it that? It's like trying to say a woman's anus is different from a man's. No, it's not.

4.99/5  rDev +11.4%

I was super impressed with this beer. It far exceeded my expectations. I'm not normally a big barley wine fan but Goose Island nailed it with this perfect example. It's pretty sweet but not in a bad way. You get all the bourbon flavors in just the right amounts.

4.99/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured on tap into a snifter. Pours reddish black with little head, but not that surprising. Smells of raisins and a little of red wine, pretty much perfect. Beer tastes of raisins and almost a licorice, very nice balance. Beer is full bodied but has very little harshness, goes down really nice. This beer lives up to its billing, a superb beer.

Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.