Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand StoutBackyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged in Templeton Rye whiskey barrels with fresh mulberries, marionberries, and boysenberries.

Added by MasterSki on 10-18-2013

Liked:
4.55/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,113 |  Reviews: 188
4.37/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.51/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.74/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bomber dated 20NOV13 1304 poured into snifter

Very dark pour. Black with cola brown in the pit of my glass and around the edges. Nose is just like BCBS. There is a very feint berry smell here. Much less than I was expecting. The berry that is there is reminiscent of strawberry rhubarb jam spread across pumpernickel toast. And then it happened...

Boom! The first sip explodes with the fruit flavor I was hoping for. Tastes like I'm having some whiskey in my coffee to accompany that strawberry toast. The berry runs the table of taste, from bitter to sweet. Classic BCBS chocolate bourbon taste is an awesome base for any adjunct, but this REALLY works here. Everything you love about regular Bourbon County with some funked up umph. Super brew!

4.78/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

4.84/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I agree with nawpnawp's description of fruity stout, but that is what I loved about it. I am very glad to have tried this beer and I personally thought that it was better than the 2015 BVDL or the ABVMZ that I had at the same tasting (yes I had all 3 poured chilled and sipped on it and all 3 got better as they warmed up). This was an absolute berry bomb with a subtle bourbonish taste at the end. I have already procured a bottle, and can hopefully get my hands on a few more. Cheers!

4.44/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not sure what I really expected this beer to be but it definitely exceeded any bar I coukd have set. Think brookside dark chocolate covered fruit candies. Perfect dessert beer, a tad sweet but it comes with the territory of a massive stout with this much fruit added. 12.7% well hidden, time has done this beer wonders, great stuff

4.96/5  rDev +9%

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2.49/5  rDev -45.3%

Pours black with zero head. Extremely strong smells of boysenberry with just a hint of the base stout. Anyone who has a problem with "soy sauce" tasting stouts -- avoid this. The taste upfront is all sweet berries, finishing with a slight bitterness that might also be from the berries. It is so overpowering, that it is hard to pick up on the rye whiskey and malty backbone from the beer. I though it would get better as it warmed up, but it only got more berry intense. This variant is not worthy of the amazing beer that is BCBS.

If you understand what you are in for (super fruity stout), this probably does it well. I'm glad I got to try it, but I wouldn't have it again if it was offered to me for free. If I didn't give up an outrageous amount to get it, I would have drain poured it.

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

4.64/5  rDev +2%

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.58/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a tremendous beer. 2 1/2 years following release - I finally cracked this open. Luscious, velvety berry stout with tons of chocolate. The underpinning rye adds a nice spice tinge. Big big berry notes right across from first pour to this warming up. The flavors come together well but provide enough zip to be distinguishable. One of my favorite BCBS variants that I have tried.

4.64/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.44/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 98% out of 100 with 2,113 ratings