Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013) | Goose Island Beer Co.

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013)Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013)

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Proprietor’s Bourbon County Brand Stout is meant to show our immense gratitude to our neighbors here in Chicago – the loyal and adventurous fans whose support helped bring Bourbon County Brand Stout to towering new heights. Each year this release will differ from the previous year; a special variant created for Chicago and unique to the year it was released. Whether your first sip is today or was from that first batch in 1992, thank you for lifting us up on your big shoulders and joining us every year to celebrate the original bourbon barrel aged stout.

2013 variant - Rye Whiskey Barrels with Toasted Coconut

Added by MasterSki on 03-25-2013

Ratings: 1,626 |  Reviews: 151

Finally! After weeks of searching, Proprietor's BCS falls right into my lap, courtesy of an
uber-generous beer geek at Dark Horse's 2013 4-Elf party. Despite the opaque, red Solo
cup that I have, I can see the sheer blackness of Proprietor's BCS; big enough to run a
knife right through it, and topped with a lavish, dark tan layer of creme on top.

This beer sends me into an instantaneous O-face upon bringing the cup to my face. The
olfactory is amazing here, it's like a liquid Almond Joy themed mixed drink; raw coconut,
dark chocolate, smooth bourbon, hinted with lighter amounts of wet oak, oats, nuts, and
deep seeded vanilla in the very background... Simply outstanding.

After minutes of sniffing Proprietor's BCS, I finally take a sip and am jettisoned into pure
nirvana for a few moments. I'll say it again; liquid Almond Joy. All the elements are there.
Dark chocolate, coconut shavings, brown sugar, nuttiness, roast, bourbon, oak. Wow.

Just the first few sips were enough for me to begin raving about how good this beer is.
After finishing off my entire pour, I had my campaign speech ready to go... This is quite
simply one of the finest beers I've had in a long time. It seems Americans have recently
opened up to the adjunct craze, adding many unique ingredients to their beers. It does
not always work; but it couldn't be better in this case - find this beer... ASAP.

RE-RATE: Luckily enough, I able to secure my very own bottle of this not too long after
I sampled it at 4-Elf. Huge thanks to a long time Chicago buddy of mine for being very
generous in giving me a bottle from his personal stash at face value. In this day and age,
hold on to a friend like that! Enough babbling about my friends (like I have any), It is
time to review this thing proper.

Indiscernible from my first comments, only now I can see all sides. Black, black, black as
night, just like every BCS variant. Small tan foam, like you expected any less.

The nose is standard BCS with a huge bruising of coconut shavings jumping forward and
hitting you right in the senses. Toasted Almond Joy candy. Fudge. Bourbon. Wood.
Everything I was getting before, full force & still just as incredible.

Probably the biggest difference for me here was the taste after letting the glass warm
up just a bit. I didn't have that luxury before, but now I do. After about 20 minutes or
so, things turn from excellent to near-perfection. Once more - toasted nuts, coconut
shavings, dark chocolate, roast, bourbon, wood, vanilla. Insanely smooth. I don't think
you could pick out a flaw if you tried. This is perfect, my friends.

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2013) from Goose Island Beer Co.