Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

4.5

Reviews: 2,936 | Ratings: 12,069
4.21/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2016 batch

500 ml bottle

Pours about two fingers of brown head into my willi becher glass. The head is somewhat pillowy, not creamy. I can hear it fizzing away, I don’t like that. The body is just completely black, even when held up to the light. We’ll see how the lacing goes, because the head disappeared all too quickly. So far it looks ok.

By the nose I’m pretty sure I wont like this beer. I just can’t handle all this damn soy sauce. Umami Umami and more Umami. I wouldn’t call this an off flavor, or a bad flavor, I just can’t stand it for the most part. Anyways, other than that there is a substantial woody aroma. Perhaps a little bitter chocolate. Some very nice caramel and vanilla coming through once I agitate it. Syrupy on the nose as well, as would be expected with 13%. I’m not really sure how to grade this. There are nice parts, and again, nothing that I would classify as “off”. I’ll say 4, I can’t knock it too far based on my personal preferences.

Damn, that is one hell of a flavor. Sweet caramel up front. Bitter and boozy as well, but not over the top, they are supporting flavors. I wanted to say cherries on the nose, but I didn’t get that aroma enough, I feel like that is definitely here on the flavor though. A little chocolate hanging out in the background. Very syrupy, but not in a fake way, just super thick and sweet. Surprisingly there is barely any Umami or woodiness. Really just a super complex and amazingly good flavor. It’s hard to pull everything out because so much is going on. Finishes with a little burnt malt, and then a long lingering butterscotch. Maybe some plum/dark fruit going on as well.

The mouthfeel is…interesting. As stated there is a substantial syrup characteristic that comes through just as heavily on the feel as it did on the flavor. Thing is, I don’t know if this is a good thing or not. It definitely adds character to the beer, and I don’t dislike it, which is more than I can say for extremely sweet beers. We’ll just call it a wash. The carbonation is very low. Somewhat dry and bitter for how sweet it also is, well balanced on the flavor and the mouthfeel. It’s not perfect, but it’s a well balanced mouthfeel, with character.

I would like to give this beer a 5 for drinkability, because for 13% it deserves it. Unfortunately that’s not really how drinkability works. So, I’ll say a solid 4, all things considered. It go’s down damn well, but damn well for 13 %.

Overall this is a great beer, the flavor really surprised me, it’s darn good. A little bit of that soy sauce started coming through as it warmed, but overall, great beer.

The appearance was probably the one bad part of this beer, the head was fizzing from the start, and disappeared very quickly. I also got zero lacing, not too great.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%

This review is about the 2016 edition.

I poured the beer into a glass. Black, opaque. The head disappeared disappointingly fast. I could smell nothing. My sense of smell is weak, so it is possible there is something to smell, it's just too faint for me. The taste was amazing. Vanilla, bourbon, malt. There was some pleasant alcohol warmth.

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

2016 version poured into a Spoonwood Brewing snifter:

Look: Pours an amazing jet black color with roughly an inch of head that quickly dissipates. Little to no lacing present.

Smell: Heavy bourbon heat present on the nose along with dark fruits, coffee, and chocolate!

Taste: Taste follows the nose for me. Tons of bourbon heat present. Also dark fruits, chocolate, and coffee.

Feel: Medium to heavy bodied!

Overall: One of the best bourbon barrel stouts I have ever tasted to date! Never had this to date but I feel this is worth the hype! I will be seeking this one out next year when it comes out!

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this one too many times to count. When fresh, it smells of strong oak bourbon barrel and roastiness, and the taste is big chocolate, good burn, and a nice medium thick mouthfeel. I don't buy it anymore, but i'll never refuse a pour!

4.5/5  rDev 0%

2013 bottle poured into a hotel rocks glass. I really don't know what I can say that hasn't been said. I think this beer must be considered to set the bar that other BA stouts strive to be. Just so smooth and flavorful. When I bought this beer it had been sitting on the shelf for months, and now it's gone the first day it's out. In some ways, time has changed for the worse in the beer world.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2016 Batch given to me by a friend at work to enjoy after the Super Bowl. Poured into a Sam Adams glass very dark (almost black) with no head at all. Very strong smell of bourbon while pouring. First sip warmed the belly with a mix of bourbon and sweet caramel. The after taste was smoky and extraordinary. On of the best beers I have ever had. Certainly a sipping beer.

4.49/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2016 vintage, paired with cookies & cream Kisses.

A - darker than a woodchuck's asshole. Try shining a light through it; it's like trying to look into a black hole. Head was barely present, a thin brown foam that quickly dissipated. Lacing? Pfft, who needs it?

S - hot booze, malts, and barrel.

T - not so hot booze, malts, and barrel.

M - www.thicknheavy.net/minimalcarb

O - All jokes aside, I get why this is the gold standard for BA stouts. It's everything you'd want: delicious boozy char that hits heavy like a velvet covered brick.

3.91/5  rDev -13.1%

I may have needed to let this sit for a while. The taste is too boozy and completely overwhelms the beer. Having said that, it is not bad, I was just expecting something completely different than a glass of bourbon,

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

Since I recently reviewed BA Ten Fidy somewhat negatively against BCBS, I thought it would be only fair to review BCBS on its own, just to make sure that my memory of the beer isn’t tainted by nostalgia. I was lucky enough to find a hidden stash at a local bottle shop two months after release, so here goes with the ’16 version.

Appearance: yup, I’m reminded why I always go back to this beer as a BA stout reference point. Deep, fudgy brown with a single-finger head that dissipates into a beautiful film across the top of the beer. It’s not showy or overly fluffy, just . . . elegant. The smell is exactly matched to the appearance, offering heady chocolate, vanilla, fig, and bourbon notes that make you realize that most adjunct stouts are basically trying to replicate what base BCBS does without having to add anything. Again, balance and refinement rule the day. Taste is complex and ever-changing as it warms: sweet vanilla evolves into a charred and bourbony chocolate that, in turn, drops into something approaching a deep, fudge liqueur. The journey through the bottle is like tasting three to four different world-class stouts, all of which are flawless. Mouthfeel is rich, oily, and viscous, what BA Ten Fidy wishes it could be. Every sip is like dessert, a decadent treat you want to never end.

Overall, what more can I say? The only thing that keeps me from ruling this BCBS a “perfect” beer is that, as good as the mouthfeel is, it’s been slightly better in previous years. I’ll always remember 2012, which honestly felt like warm brownie batter on the tongue. Obviously, this beer hardly needs my recommendation, but if you’re at all on the fence about trying to obtain and taste it, you’re crazy. It’s the beer to try before you die.

4.86/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I generally eschew chasing after limited releases and such, but when a buddy gifted me a 2016 bottle recently, I was not going to turn him down. I was in Chicago around Thanksgiving 2014 & I stopped in at Binney's (Clybourn) to try & score some CANs, et al, but the place was such an absolute zoo that I walked out, empty handed & disgusted. It is just one example among many of why I started The CANQuest (tm) in the first place.

From the bottle: "The original bourbon barrel aged Stout"; "Since 1992"; "Stout aged in bourbon barrels"; "Chicago Made Imperial Stout"; "Intense aromas of charred oak, vanilla, caramel & smoke"; Brewed, barrel aged & bottled by Goose Island Beer Co. Chicago, Illinois"; "Develops in the bottle up to 5 years"; "[signed] Brewmaster, Jared Jankowski".

I Pop!ped the cap on the relatively big bottle and commenced a gentle pour simply because I have never had a bottle of BCBS. Usually, I go to PHL during Thanksgiving weekend & have some on tap. This was a new experience for me. I am becoming proficient at doing an in-glass swirl, this time raising a finger of foamy, deep-brown head that seemed rather anxious to fall back to wisps. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose had the coconut smell that I always seem to get from bourbon, accompanied by dark chocolate, light smoke and caramel. It was a liquefied Girl Scout Samoa cookie! Oh, I am a sucker for them & Thin Mints. This was gonna send me, especially at 13.8% ABV. Mouthfeel was thick, viscous, oily, like BP had dumped a load off of a rig into my mouth. Mmmm. The taste was much like a Samoa with the chocolate leading the way, followed closely by coconut and caramel as well as light smoke. OMFG! This was quite tasty and dangerously easy to drink. I can only imagine how much easier it would become with age. No wonder I just satisfy myself with draft offerings. I have plenty of beer at home without adding to the backlog.

4.16/5  rDev -7.6%

16.9 oz bottle packaged 04OCT16. Poured into a tulip.

Pours pitch black with maybe a quarter inch of dark brown head that quickly disappears.

Straigh from the fridge the aroma is all bourbon with lots of hot alcohol. Once the beer spends a few minutes in the glass the Bourbon calms down a bit; I then get vanilla, a low-moderate alcohol heat, and subtler bakers chocolate and dark fruits in the background.

The first flavor I get is dark fruits, that is joined by a mix of vanilla, dark and bakers chocolates, and some alcohol heat.

Body is full with low carbonation and slick, heavy sweetness.

Objectively this is a very good Bourbon barrel aged stout. That being said, it makes me realize that I'm not a BBA stout fan. It's still tasty and enjoyable but has just a bit too much heat for the aromas and flavors to be super enjoyable. I have another bottle that I'll hold onto for a year or two in the hopes that the bourbon barrel character mellows a bit.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Dark , like the Devils dreams. Very little lace, too dark for sissy lace.
Smell is a rollercoaster of good things.
Taste is nice and best enjoyed with desert or a cheese.
Of course, if you just wanna pound one , this stout is delicious. Bet you can't pound it. It's too good for that.
Feel is velvet..... I don't think I have ever used the word velvet before in a sentence.
So yes , it is velvet.
Keeps getting better so drink it slow.
Overall is good enough to share and really enjoy or act like you can't find a frind and have it all by yourself.

4.66/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1 PINT .9 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a snifter
Bottled 05NOV15

This beer pours black and thick. It is topped with less than an inch of tan head that disappears quickly leaving virtually no lacing.

It smells like a bourbon dessert. I smell chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and roasted malt.

The taste is every bit as good. The bourbon melds into caramel and vanilla flavors, while the roasted malt yields chocolate notes. The bourbon is still recognizable in the finish with a mild booze flavor.

Full, smooth, and viscous mouthfeel

This is my first BCBS. I get the hype now. It is a phenomenal beer. It met and perhaps exceeded my high expectations. This is a rare beer that lives up to the hype. It is definitely the best ABI product that I have ever had narrowly beating out Busch heavy.

4.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lots of bourbon which is great, but that's pretty much it. Mouthfeel is solid and overall this is a solid BBA stout but there are better, more interesting varieties out there.

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

This is the epitome of a perfect Bourbon Barrel Stout. Flawless mouthfeel. The whole experience is thrilling all the way down. It is easy to see why everyone chases this one.

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A still, ebony lake Is lined with a quiet rim of contrasting beige froth. Serene and full of promise.,The aroma is unsurprisingly oaky and smoky with plenty of complementary vanilla and hazelnut, but surprisingly peppery as well! The complex foundation is built of plums, figs, And milk chocolate. Both balanced and full. As Mary Poppins would say, practically perfect in every way. So, let's taste it! The bourbon's woodsy sweetness comes through straight away. It mixes with fresh maple syrup, whose stickiness is balanced by the drying characteristics of tobacco laced with cocoa powder. Soft pastes of plum, dark cherry, and strawberry create a real complex jam. Unlike other bourbon barrel stouts, this is a beast with a real heart. The mouthfeel is smooth jazz creamy with a light carbonic bite toward the finish to let the juice burst just enough for a celenaratory kick. A surprising jewel from an iconic brewery which is apparently still on top of the saturated craft game.

4.49/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2016 on tap at a local restaurant/bar.

A: Pours jet black in color. No head. Thin khaki colored lacing throughout.

S: Aromas of coffee, vanilla, bourbon, cola, dark chocolate, caramel, sweet and toasted malts, licorice, raisins, cherries, and other dark fruits.

T: Taste follows the nose somewhat. Leads with sweet caramel and cola followed by bitter dark chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. Finishes with notes of cherry, raisins, licorice, and toasted malts with a slight lingering bitterness.

F: Full bodied, medium thickness, creamy, and smooth with a small amount of carbonation.

O: Overall, this is a great BA Stout. This was my first time trying this one. The flavor profile is very complex and interesting. Lots going on in this one. At first, I felt it was overly sweet, but as it started to warm it began to balance out the sweetness and fruitiness with coffee and bourbon. Only wish I would have had time to sit and let it warm longer. Great BA stout and I'm looking forward to cracking one of my bottles to see if there is any difference.

4.32/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 vintage dated 10/1/15.

A: Beer comes in a pitch black color with pretty much no head retention save for the thinnest little ring of tiny mocha bubbles. Major alcohol legs staining the glass.

S: Very bourbon-forward, definitely the most intensely bourbon-y nose I've experienced. Lots of vanilla, oak, smoke, and dark fruits, mostly cherry. Little bit of dark chocolate and caramel as well. Extremely pungent as expected.

T: Wow. Huge dark fruits and vanilla up front, followed by nearly as intense notes of caramel, dark chocolate, oak, and burnt brown sugar. Even some molasses on the aftertaste. It's so complex, with each flavor coming in a wave that unapologetically attacks the palate. There's a lot of sweetness, but not too much, as the drying alcoholic note really cuts through it on the finish. As it warms, I get a little soy sauce-y thing on the finish,

M: Really slick, almost oily mouthfeel that just glides across the tongue. Not particularly full due to lack of carbonation, but feels heavy on the tongue. Burning alcoholic sensation in the back of the throat, but this isn't nearly as boozy as the 13.7% would suggest.

O: I'm still making my way into the barrel-aged stout world, but this was definitely a step in the right direction. This beer packs a TON of flavor into a deservedly large package, and the flavor profile is one of the more complex I've experienced in a beer. While the nose is somewhat lacking IMO (too barrel- and dark fruit-forward), the taste is a wonderful melange of vanilla, chocolate, dark fruit, caramel, molasses, and oak. I look forward to revisiting this as I build my appreciation for the style, but as it stands now, I think it's quite delicious!

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Usually I pass on these beers when they release but this year it was pretty much talked up into my bag even though I didn't ask about it but my usual beer place guy told me people always fought over it so I figured why the hell not.

This beer is the blackest of the black. People throw around the words motor oil all the time, but this is the closest to motor oil I have ever seen. No head.

The bourbon is ever apparent alongside the oak. There is a dark fruitiness on the nose that you cannot deny. This is probably my least favorite part of the beer.

At first, the taste hits you with that immediate sweetness, but it quickly envelopes into vanilla and bakers chocolate sweetness which surrounds and dominates the mouth and throat, with oak coming in to match.

The feel is boozy and oaky with a touch of creaminess and lower carbonation. Swallows sweet and just a touch boozy depending on how big of a sip you take.

Overall, if they could kill that initial odd sweetness but keep the rest of the flavors, this could potentially be my favorite beer of all time. This is world class, and I'm not one to rate on hype nor anything else aside from how much I enjoyed it. Aging will do it well, but fresh is out of this world too.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let this one warm up a bit after pouring it, the flavours really kick your pallets ass. Coffee, chocolate, raisins, cherrys, all missed together give it dark and sweet taste. I expected a lot more booze than this. Did someone forget to add it?

2.16/5  rDev -52%

I don't think I've ever had a beer taste this bad. It was very thick and tasted kind of rotten. Me and several friends tried this and even amongst the 6 of use we couldn't even finish the bottle. I would stay far far away from this one. The color was very dark and it smelled like a stout and sour mixed together.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2016 vintage...not accustomed to a beer with this complex flavor profile....seems boozy at first but give it time...as it warms, can taste more hidden layers

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Jet black. Dark tan head diminishes quickly. Nose is a burst of bourbon, smoky oak, rich roast, caramel and bread. Flavor is an eruption complexity and yet smooth as silk. Bourbon, roast, caramel, fig, smoky oak. Body is full, yet finish is balanced ushered in by a bourbony booze warmth, a lingering oaky roast. No surprise but an amazing brew. Wow!

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2016 bottle

Pours a dark brown/coca cola
Pretty small head with one ring of bubble lacing

Smell is roasty, lots of bourbon, booze burn

Taste is complex. Deep roast, rich chocolatey thats more on the bittersweet side. I'm getting some slight berry tanginess in there too, before that huge boubon barrel taste. The end is a big hint of alcohol. I'm getting a little bit of a Coca Cola flavor too

This was my first time having this. I bought two and am going to save one for next year to experience some mellowing. The beer right now is pretty bold and robust. There's some smoothness for sure but the bitter chocolate and dark berries make it pretty vibrant.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled: September 22nd 2015(not infected)
Opened: December 19th 2016

Look: Pours very dark with almost no head. Head is dark almost caramel color

Smell: Has a nice strong bourbon/woody scent right up front, especially when you slightly aggitate it.

Taste: The bourbon is definitely a dominant flavor. The chocolate notes compliment very nicely.

Feel: Medium to full body. Very smooth and very little carbonation.

Overall: Very impressed, I definitely a fan of this one. I habe heard the '16 os a little sweeter. I picked up a '16 Barleywine that I will let age and now I have to find a '16 Stout. I have a second that I will continue to age of the same batch.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.