Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

4.5

Reviews: 2,862 | Ratings: 11,795

Pours a thick and creamy midnight black with a very thin dark caramel/toffee hued head.

Rich and heavy bourbon on the nose with notes of chocolate, roasted nuts, and toffee.

Being a year old, the bourbon heat has dropped substantially at this point, but that's not to say at a year old it doesn't still have some punch. Lush chocolate, dark fruit, toffee, caramel, and roasted malts add some delicious nuttiness while balanced by that wonderful bourbon.

Mouthfeel is thick, velvety, and sticky. Wonderfully smooth with some bourbon heat on the nose.

Overall, truly a world-class stout.

(original tasting) 2008 - Bottle. So black light won't go through, and a nice lingering dark brown head. The aroma is endless with sweet malt, oak, vanilla, tannins, a touch of bourbon, and a dash of alcohol. The flavor delivers big sweet malts and a dash of alcohol upfront followed by hints of candied fruit and finishing with a lingering definite coffee flavor layered with chocolates. I have since tried this a few times and am aging two more bottles. This stuff is simply amazing and everyone should try it. One of my favorite beers.

2008 Aged Properly

A. Jet black almost 10/30 and a razor thin tan head.

S. Bourbon up front then a sweet maybe chocolate/molasses scent

M. Very thick like a milkshake, not too much but it is very creamy.

T. Bourbon breaks through the initial creamy mouth feel and then an almost chocolate sweet vanilla oak finish with the greatest tingle on your tongue. This is one of the first times I have ever tasted diff flavors on diff parts of my tongue at the same time. I know they say everyone does that but this beer was the first time I ever noticed it including food.

O. I liked the 2010 better but only because of the more upfront, in your face bourbon flavor/scent I would drink this all day any time of year though. This is still one of the best beers I have had and am so thankful for the chance to try it.

Just an update, Tried the 2010 7/10/12 and it is all 5.0 all the way across, best beer I have ever had anywhere and anytime. I love it as I will my first born child and will change the ratings to show this... Seriously 2010 is that much better right now.

First appearance in NJ! Got myself 5 bottles! And I'm happy I did! This is one hell of a stout. Pitch black with a thin lace of brown head which recedes quickly. massive nose of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, oak, leather, licorice, burnt sugar, anise asphalt and bourbon soaked raisins.

The same flavors that are on the nose bombard your tongue in a giant mess of flavor. Huge hue flavor! Like a hand grenade dishing out different offerings at every blast. This young beer needs a little time to settle, but even as a messy pile of flavor, it still holds together pretty damn well. I Plan on trying this one in a few months to see how it opens up. But I already love this beer, looking forward to more times with it.

As I keep opening bottles the beer gets even better and better. So rich and deep with wonderful flavors. Much like drinking a fine port wine or scotch paired with cigar but transformed into pure liquid gold.

355ml brown bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter. 2009 bottling sampled on 29/12/10.

A. Rich black in colour with a double finger thick red-brown foam head that rapidly disappeared which is exactly what I like to see happen on any beer of this strength.

S. Meaty but not overpowering. Chocolatey, Christmas cake, morello cherries, port, sherry, red wine, demerara sugar, molasses.

T. Dark fruit covered in dark chocolate. Meaty and chewy, caramelised sugar, very port like, liquorice. Some smoke in the finish.

M. Full bodied, ridiculously thick and chewy. So thick you almost need utensils to drink it with.

D. Pure heaven in a glass. This is my favourite beer to date. If only all beers had the class that this black beauty has. Any beer drinker that does not like this doesn't appreciate beer at all.

Oh my, kick me in the pants. This is listed as a bourbon stout. We'll!!! It pours as black as oil, with a Carmel head. Breath in deeeppp. Ahhh!!!! Finally a real smell of bourbon overtakes you, unlike many labeled as the same. Sip and you taste the smooth chocolate stout with a powerful bourbon flavor. After the second sip you know you are drinking something special. You know this is a strong one, but you need so much more. If you love stout and bourbon this is mid blowing. This is a must have.!!! Oh my It's empty, I need more.

As the originator of barrel aged stouts, BCBS continues to remain supreme among the strong cohort of russian imperial stouts. 2015 is just as superb as past years. I am thinking about experimenting an cold pressing coffee to make BCBCS with 10% coffee and 90% original stout. Fresh is a little too hot for my liking similarly to fresh Deschutes' The Abyss.

I had a pretty shitty day so I thought I would end it with one of the two great beers I had left in my cupboard.

Poured a beautiful opaque nearly black with a small tan head and lacing that lasted till almost the end of the beer.

The smell reminded me of BOURBON and raisin bran. Huge caramel and bourbon punched me in the nose.

The taste followed the nose but stepped up to the plate with several more layers of interesting flavors. Coffee was in the way way back but provided a good base for the bourbon which was strong but smooth and not off putting at all. The raisin and bran was definitely there and made for a very interesting stout.

This is a thick viscous bastard. Any thinner and you would be fighting off chugging this beer. It was perfect and allowed..no forced you to sip and savor this amazing beer.

Even more than KBS this beer made me miss the States. Knowing it will be a long time before I can try to get more beers even similar to this is the only down side to this beer. Well done Goose Island!

I loved this beer more than I have loved any woman. More than the fat kid loves cake. More than I love cake. I am the fat kid.
I love this beer so much that I married it. It was rich, it was amazing, I had to change my undies after this beer. Even the dos Equis guy prefers this beer.

The smell of bourbon smashes the nostrils the instant you begin to open the bottle. BCBS pours pitch black and very thick. The head didn't retain too long but had a caramel appearance. The taste hits your palate with so many flavors. The huge difference above any other stout is the slight burn and after taste of the bourbon. Overall, the best beer I've had. I recommend to any stout lover, bourbon lover, or anyone wanting to try one of the best imperial stouts known to man

A truly great stout, as rich in flavor as it is in color! If you have the opportunity to get a bottle of this rare gem (especially in CA) do not think twice buy it immediately.

I don't know why I put off trying this beer for so long, I only wish I had bought the whole four pack.

Anyway I poured this into my duvel glass. Pours a impressive inky black & leaves a thin dark carmel head that goes away quickly. But giving it a light quick swirl brings a very fine thin head back.
The aroma is by far the best I have came across in a bourbon stout yet, I could have set with my nose in the glass all night. Very smooth bourbon, with subtle hints of vanilla, oak & well hidden alcohol.
This beer drinks dangerously easy, I could sip on these all night if it wasn't for the high ABV getting me first. The flavor is so silky smooth & creamy. It tastes much like it smells as others describe. Very smooth laid back bourbon with a nice roasted malt back. Subtle hint of vanilla & very well hidden alcohol to my taste. I know a few people still say this ones a bit hot yet, but I found it to be very drinkable.
My next beer run is definitely going to include a full pack of these guys to lay back for a while.

Nothing compares.
NoTHING compares.. to you..

But really, I can't help but judge every other BBA beer by this one and I've never had better. Vanilla, cocoa, molasses, and coconut with lots of boozy sweet deliciousness to smooth everything out. Vintage 2013 is drinking great right now.

A sipping beer, by all definition of the term. Very thick, definitely taste the bourbon in this one. 2013 Brew. Available at Ahan Thai Kitchen Fernandina Beach, FL as of Dec. 2014

Best InBev beer out there. By far my favorite beer on tap. I don't care how many times I've had it, if it's on tap, I'm buying it. Most recently I had a 10 oz. at Sunset in Allston, MA. It's always there, and I dont know how often it rotates out but I have to say it never loses it's amazingness, I'm currently aging a bottle I bought last year the day my son was born and look forward to cracking it open on his 1st birthday.... just buy it.

This is the best beer I have ever had, I lucked out when I walked into my local place and he just happened to have it behind the counter. I had the first three right away, and the last one I saved for six months.

Nice thick mouthfeel (unlike the very thin KBS). Deliciously smooth chocolate and bourbon flavors with a nice subtle alcohol burn down the throat. Amazing

This beer has the wow factor. Top 10 beer on BA hands down. Smell was amazing. Love the vanilla scent from this beer. Best stout I've had.

I want more of this beer. Set at 14.9% this beer is amazing. Gotta get this aged for a few years to do the taste difference.

A-

I didn't think this day would come, or did I? I decided to order 4 bottles of this one from Systembolaget to share with my friend David. I just had to try out a bottle as I didn't have the patience to wait another week to try it out!

When poured it looks absolutley, solid, black. In the glass it leaves a small ring of foam in it's black majesty, the ring of foam is beige/brown.

The nose has lots of burned almonds, nuts, vanilla, honey, oaks, rosted malts, hops, fudge and lots of chocolate! Amazing smells, can't get much better actually!

You just drool for more after tasting a drop of this beer. Lots of chocolate, oaks, vanilla, honey, burned almonds. Almost like drinking some kind of chocolate sauce, but this is way better! The beer is quite sweet, but it's balanced by the burnt notes and the hops. Incredibly filling beer anyway!

I'm glad I'm going to have to oppurtunity to try this atleast two times more!

Nose:
25 year Ruby Port
Ripe stewed Plum
Bitter roasted orange
85% dark Chocolate
Bad ass Bourbon
Melted Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
Jamaican Bourbon Vanilla grown next to acres of premium island ganja
Great grandma's Egg nog
Whisps of caramelized cotton candy
Grandma's Booze-drenched Fruitcake

Look:
Twice as dark as the bottle
6,000 mile motor oil
Fine ring of bubbles with tiny center clusters

At first the nose is all bourbon and then vanilla and plum and raisin overwhelm you in a dark chocolate cherry malt that has balance and body and character and flavor and complexity and and and intriguing pleasure that made me refrain from tasting it for several minutes while I took in the nose over and over and over and over and over and over and oh my fucking god it was THAT FUCKING good. The nose. The aroma. Just the smell of it. Fuck you. It was that good.

Then I tasted it. Ok. Now it justifies the lines and the waiting and the limits and the hype and "it's TOO GOOD TO MISS" bullshit that somehow brought me around to bring to my lips a Goose Island since their allegiance with And Hows Yer Bush.

Huge. Not overbearing. Take it slow and it will be the better than the finest port.

Wicked.

Balanced.

Powerful.

Pleasant.

Worth the price/wait/drive/postage. It's great. I'd love to have 10 and open two every year to see how they evolve.

The finish is still going 20 minutes after finishing my 1/5 of a 12 oz bottle on December 1, 2013.

Now it's a buttery crusty cherry pie with tapioca filling I'm still chewing.

Delicious. Satisfying. Luxurious. Epic.

I'm also still enjoying the final bouquet left from the syrup stubbornly clinging to the sides of glass.

Bottled 2009 - tasted late 2010

A - Very dark color. Like a great stout should be. Light tan head that sticks around for awhile, considering it's 13% abv.

S - Smells amazing. I love bourbon, so this is right up my alley. You get a few hints of oak and molasses, but it's pretty much all bourbon.

T - This is just great. I can easily say this is the best beer I've ever had. Although this is my first review on here, I was introduced to good beer about 4 years ago. My favorite style is Imperial Stout/Russian Imperial Stout. Hands down the best.

M - Mouthfeel is very nice. Carbonation is just right. Very thick and heavy.

O - I'm not sure what else to say. Everyone has to try this beer at least once in their life. Here in Texas we don't get this beer, so I look forward to try the other bottles in my cellar. I'm not sure what it tastes like fresh, but I imagine that a year of aging did this beer some good. It might be too overpowering fresh (but just a guess). Best beer I've had to date.

L - Poured from a cool bottle into a goblet. Intensely black with a deep cream colored head. No light shining through, this is what a stout should look like! Tons of lacing, head stayed for the whole beer.

S - Oak, Wood, some burned smokiness, hints of vanilla, dark chocolate, a little bit of hops, very intense smell.

T - Even more intense than it smells! The booziness makes itself known, but not overbearing. Huge bourbon woodiness on the tongue, cascading deep dark chocolatey goodness, some coffee vanilla bitterness, lots of dark malts and hops, and a finish of bourbon burn, like a brandy bean candy. Delicious.

F - So thick and chewy, I feel like I should be eating it was a fork and knife. Sticks to my mouth like glue, delicious boozy glue. Wonderful.

O - I was a little buzzed when I drank this, but I instantly sobered up to enjoy the experience, and man am I happy I did. This was back in early 2014 when I imbibed this fine beverage, and haven't been able to find it since, but I'm so happy I got to try what was referred to me as the father of all stouts by the bartender ( I had a Six Point Resin, Goose Island BC Barleywine, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy before this). If you ever have the chance to try this, please do, you won't regret it!

Bottle in a Spiegelau snifter.

A: Jet black with quickly dissipating tan head
S: Bourbon, dark fruits, molasses
T: Bold bourbon bite that turns into a sweet molasses. Lingering flavor that continues to challenge the senses.
M: Medium bodied with a seemingly never-ending aftertaste. Little to no carbonation. Not as thick as I was expecting at all.
D: High abv will pump the brakes on having more than a couple. This is something worth savoring, please don't abuse it by taking swigs!
O: I can see how aging this beer will bring out some amazing flavor. There is nothing but continuous flavor with each sip. If you haven't had it yet, you need to make this happen!

I love this beer. It has a huge bourbon taste & feel with a deep dark rich mouth feel. At first I got a sweet but dark chocolate taste with hints of coffee & dark fruits with a rich bourbon burn that I love.

This is best served in a snifter glass slightly below room temperature. This is a sipping beer to enjoy every element! Cheers!!!

Pours thick and black into my snifter. Smell is incredible and taste is magic. Sweet and boozy with bourbon, chocolate and vanilla all showing up here. As it warms, these flavors increase. This is a top five beer for me. A true masterpiece.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.