Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

4.5

Reviews: 2,852 | Ratings: 11,745

After seeing the news of the infection refunds, I decided to check my dates. Two bottles at my apartment were both in the reported bad batches. Chilled them both, and opened one. Terrible, rotted plum notes, sour, tight prickly carbonation. Visually you can tell this is not right even before smelling or considering a sip. Blah. No one would think this is good.

Second bottle, same.

I have 2 more sealed cases in the basement at a nearby parents house which I am planning to retrieve, check dates, and start opening.

Already have my refund form started! A shame because BCBS is one of my favorite beers, and I stock up just to last me until the next release. Backfired big time, this year.

I may be wrong but I think anyone who has bad bottles should be rating this beer 1-1-1-1-1 and driving down the rAvg, no beer with thousands of infected cases distributed nationwide deserves >4.5/"world class."

1.25/5  rDev -72.2%

This beer, if you can call it beer, is the absolute worst that I have ever had. Not sure how it receives such a high rating. I am a big fan of strong beers including imperial stouts and ipas but somehow this beer is just too much. Tastes like a blend of stout, red wine and bourbon. Un-drinkable in my opinion.

1.43/5  rDev -68.2%

CHOKE - CHOKE - CHOKE!

When I poured this beer I thought it could pass for chocolate, DARK chocolate milk. The aroma was thick, like molasses and caramel and Jim Bean mixed together. The flavor mimmicked the aroma but had a bigger punch to my pallet. IT burned on the way down like liquor.

I have to say this isn't the shittiest tasting beer I've had, but it's up there. Perhaps I should just give up on finding an imperial that I like.

If you want S T R O N G, go for this bad boy.

1.47/5  rDev -67.3%

Bottled: Nov 4th, 2015

Mermaid Notes:
Look: Black as night. Melted dark chocolate in my tulip glass. Coats the side with a motor oil type film. Barely any head.

Smell: O no! Not a good start. Bourbon smell is completely absent. Smells like rotten sour fruit mixed with an athlete's foot soaked sock.

Taste: I cannot lie and say I took more than just one sip of this beer because I physically could not drink it. That one sip made me want to haul. Tastes like a wine gone extremely bad.

Feel: Body is still nice and thick but the flavor ruins any chance of me enjoying the consistency.

Overall: Considering the fact that we've had such bad luck with the 2015 Bourbon County line-up, I was very optimistic that our BCBS's would not be bad as well. We cracked this opened because of all the news floating around that some batches were infected. Unfortunately the rumors are true. The fact that we got all our variants at the same store makes me wonder if all our bottles are drain pours (Please not the rare! Please!!!!!). Just put the remaining regulars in the fridge. Hopefully one out of the bunch is good! Open your bottles now! You have been warned :(
Cheers and stay crafty my friends.
[email protected]

1.52/5  rDev -66.2%

I got this from a wine/beer shop where the owner said he'd heard good things about this one but hadn't tried it yet. Well, he won't hear anything good from me. I don't remember the last time I didn't finish a beer. Just dreadful bleck. A friend with me shared my opinion.

This beer either represents the Emporers New Clothes of craft beer or there was something wrong with this bottle. It looked a fine dark brown/black. The smell was of molasses, burned things,raw alcohol and more burned molasses. A hint of overheated radiator was one of the better scents. The taste was big and layered, but the waves of burned sugar, gloppy sorghum, alcohol, just kept coming like a string of plague rats jumping into my mouth. I'm not sure of the mouthfeel, as I was too busy thinking of ways to apologize to my tongue.

If you took a Guinness and let it bounce around in your car trunk for a summer spent in the desert, added various burned molasses concoctions and some bourbon you had washed your feet in, you might approximate the flavor. This is the Edsel of beers in my opinion, and I am a huge fan of big stouts.

1.62/5  rDev -64%

This is over rated, over hyped, and way over priced. I cannot understand the huuuuuge following. I read/skimmed a thousand ratings of this and only found a few that made sense to me. Looks great. Ink black. Poured into a tulip with no head at all. Smelled musty. Taste was overly sweet and I wondered if it was attempting to be a sour gone bad. Compared it to Brer Rabbitt molasses and that wasn't it. Compared it to Sorghum and it was spot on except BCBS is much darker. Felt oily and syrupy. Looked for the strong bourbon flavor and alcohol that are mentioned in so many reviews, but don't find it. I like a good bourbon and this shows none of it. Lingering medicinal taste on the tongue. I'll never recommend this to anyone and I'll never purchase it again. Unfortunately I got caught up in the hype and have two more large bottles. Guess I'll need to "share" them with our beer club or give them away.

1.63/5  rDev -63.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Ink black body and hardly any head at all. Smell is more bourbon barrel than anything. Lot of vanilla, chocolate, and a weird buttery aroma. The butter is so strong. Kind of soured/rancid. Pros for flavor: roasty malts, chocolate, caramel. Cons: overwhelming barrel, vanilla, butter, soy sauce, sweetness, booze. Mouthfeel is slick and kind of flat. Booze numbs the tongue. I really don't like this at all. It's grossing me out. A fine example of a messy, bourbon barrel-forwarded stout.

1.64/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Infected. Can't express the disappointment at all the wait and build up to taste a beer that just tastes disgustingly off with sour taking over the stout. The beer wants so hard to delicious instead it's a drain pour of good money and time in line. AND THE COMPANY DOESN'T CARE. Ruins my love of beer, despicable, won't be drinking any more goose island not even the IPA, with this literal bad taste in my mouth

1.75/5  rDev -61.1%

Pors Jet Black with no lacing in a tulip glass

a bad tasting stout masked with heavy bourbon that kills the palate it is cloyingly sweet I honestly don't see what the hype is about.

1.76/5  rDev -60.9%

I like beer, I like Bourbon, I thought I would like this, but was very disappointed.

Very little head, but a nice dark appearance. "Bourbony" tast was overwhelming from the first sip. Cloying, sticky, nasty, like drinking a large glass of bad Bourbon. The Bourbon taste is overwhelming. 12 oz felt like about 10 oz too much. I have three more bottles - anybody want them?

1.78/5  rDev -60.4%

Probably the most overrated beer I've ever had. Pour is heavy with no head. Taste like stale bourbon and stale beer mixed together and aged in a rotting wooden barrel. It leaves you with a disgusting aftertaste that stays in the throat forever.

1.85/5  rDev -58.9%

Beer snobs will say this is the greatest beer ever, but honestly, all I taste is licorice. That is it. That is all there is. It is just really alcoholic licorice. There are no hints of chocolate or vanilla, and the bourbon is virtually non-existent. It really just tastes like licorice. I don't understand how people taste otherwise.

1.92/5  rDev -57.3%

A - Black. Minimal coffee-colored head that dissipated rapidly

S - Bourbon. Overwhelmingly bourbon. Nothing but bourbon

T - Bourbon. Strong bourbon

M - Smooth. Carbonation seemed just about right

D - I'm sorry, but I couldn't finish this bottle.

This tastes to me like stout-flavored bourbon. I like bourbon. When I was younger, bourbon was my mixed drink of choice. I do not, however, find this mixture appealing (in any way, shape or form). If you want the same taste (at less cost), just mix Ten High half and half with Guinness.

Apparently a large number of folks find this appealing. I am not one of them.

Edit: In all fairness, this beer had only been in the bottle for 5 months. Another year of aging could have an effect on my opinion, but it is unlikely to make me love this beer. If I wanted bourbon, I would have bought bourbon.

1.95/5  rDev -56.7%

Umm, where do I start.

First of all, I know the BCBS train is probably gonna be outside my apartment with pitch forks. After tasting this beer, it's either I got a bad batch, I have abnormal taste buds, or it's just an overhyped beer.

Appearance - looked like normal imperial stouts. No head pretty much.
Smell - bourbon, coffee, vanilla. Ok, it's typical barrel aged stuff.
Taste - Tasted like alcohol straight up. Let it warm up, more alcohol! I get same notes from the smell here.
Mouthfeel - meh, it was very syrupy. it left a foul taste in my mouth
Overall - worst night of my life. I could not sleep. I kept moving around my bed all night long. Very gassy, trying to burp everytime just to get rid out the fowlness.

Sorry guys, this is my first experience on this beer, but sorry BCBS doesn't do it for me. I'm glad.

Edit: December 16, 2013... This is gross. Sorry guys.

1.96/5  rDev -56.4%

Reviewed on 8/15/08. Bottle, 2007. Pours black with a small dark tan/red head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of bourbon. Flavor of bourbon, alcohol sweetness. I can tell that this is a better bourbon barrel aged beer than a lot of other BBA beers, but I can't actually taste any of the underlying stout. I suppose it's less bourbony than other beers, but it is definitely dominated by the bourbon. And I don't want my beer to taste like bourbon, I want it to taste like beer. Also the 13% makes it extremely difficult to drink. Suffice it to say, I didn't care for this bourbon bomb.
4/3/4/2/10 (2.3/5)

I know everyone else in beerdom loves this brew but...yeesh...it was a conscious task to finish one bottle and not pour it out. Not one for me, at least not yet.

2.1/5  rDev -53.3%

I wanted to love this beer, I truly did. I guess I am finding out that even though I am a huge stout fan, it seems that I just don't like imperial stouts that much. They to me are way too alcoholic and can become too harsh because of the enormous liquor taste.

A-Pitch black with a tan head that faded quick. Standard imperial stout.
S-Burdon, some vanilla, OAK!
T- HARSH. Most imperial stouts are like this, so I may be bias.
Heavy alcoholic taste. Not what one would want for a beer flavor. Drink liqueur if you want to taste alcohol (that's why I like beer).
M-Typical for an imperial stout, but not my cup of tea. Very carbonated, with a heavy warming feeling. Not beer in feel.
D- I like to drink my beer, but this is no where near drinkable. I don't want a beer that can only be sipped. It's so thick and heavy in alcohol that the drinkability is nowhere to be found.

My expectation according to Goose Island was a velvety, smooth beer, with a rich vanilla and oak taste. Sorry Goose Island, but you are clueless about this beer.

2.12/5  rDev -52.9%

Pours a very deep black color, although with very little head and almost no lacing. I was very disappointed with this beer, as I expected a stout with some bourbon lacing, not a pint of bourbon with some stout lacing. The scent and taste are nearly all bourbon flavors, so strong that no stout attributes come through. This also causes the whole thing to be very rough. It's not at all balanced. Not a good beer, which is a shame after the other wonderful 'big' beers I've had of Goose Island's.

2.14/5  rDev -52.4%

Served in a snifter glass. It looks like most aged imperial stouts I have had: dark as night, and virtually head-less. Pockets of foam rise to the surface and dissipate, replaced by new ones, as if it is still living. Interesting to watch.

As soon as I popped the cap (not realizing it was a twist off) I got a punch in the face of dark malt, and some bourbon. It honestly does not smell all too different from their Night Stalker stout, which was somewhat disappointing, as I was hoping for more bourbon. The smell consists of your standard caramel, chocolate, and coffee, (not to strong on the coffee however). The malts smell overpowering, and unbalanced.

Not only do I taste next to no bourbon, but it seems unbalanced for an imperial stout. There is a very present sweetness, accompanied by on overly bitter roasted malt flavor that really sticks in the back of the palate. The one redeeming factor in the flavor is the aftertaste. The bitterness dies off, and I finally can experience a slight bourbon lingering.

It has got to be one of, if not THE most, syrupy beer I have ever tasted. I highly regret opening this within 5 months of buying it. While I suppose 13% alcohol creates quite an awe effect, I now feel that this sort of abv does not belong in the category of stouts...(certainly without cellaring)...there are simply too many residual sugars, and the extremely high gravity makes for a poor amount of head, and a thick coating on the mouth and throat. Even clearing the palate before hand with about 12 ounces of water wasn't enough to prevent me from needing water during the drink. It also seemed to inherit what I consider a negative quality of bourbon, which is a burn in the back of the mouth that dissipates as the aftertaste begins.

I started drinking this 15 minutes before I started writing, and I am now only 3/4s of the way done. It's a sipper for sure, and not one I want to spend $6.39 on again any time soon (5 months, at least!!!)

I could imagine this being better on tap, but only if the syrupy-ness is reduced. I am somewhat disappointed that the final gravity couldn't have gotten a bit lower. Aging would Clearly do this beer justice. Cheers, all the same.

2.2/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.25

I must have gotten a bad batch. I doubt they care or will do anything. Mine was infected, tasted sour and had a funk. I sadly paid 20 for this because it was hard to get in my area. Never again.

2.2/5  rDev -51.1%

Pours a jet black color with no head and lacing.

Bourbon hits your nostrils right away, reminds me of brandy, a little hint of dark chocolate.

Tasted like I was drinkig straight from a brandy bottle. Unfortunately this turned me off and I couldn't get passed that strong brandy like taste. I did get some decent dark chocolate malts after the bourbon like taste went away after awhile.

This was my first RIS and once again I tried to drink this but couldnt so I had to drain pour this.

Drinkability was None for me, bourbon like taste was way to overpowering for me to enjoy this. Hopefully the next RIS I try goes better.

2.24/5  rDev -50.2%

A - Very Black and oily poured with absolutely no head. I think I saw one carbonation bubble.

S - bourbon, char, bourbon, molasses, tobacco, and bourbon

T - Tastes exactly like it smells.

M - This beer was very slick and creamy. No carbonation whatsoever.

D - I had to choke this one down. There is no way I could have more than one of these

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. I love RIS and enjoy bourbon. This just missed the mark.

2.24/5  rDev -50.2%

L: Pitch black pour with very little head.

S: Smells of straight Bourbon whiskey and not much else.

T: Sickeningly sweet dark chocolate, anise, soy sauce and Bourbon.

M: Slick and sticky and just way too hot for me.

O: I know people swear by this stuff, but it's just not for me. I somehow managed to finish 3/4 of the 12 ounces before it met the drain. Honestly it was just awful, and the most regrettable 9 dollars I've ever spent on beer. A can of Ten Fidy with a shot of Jägermeister would have been much more enjoyable and probably less expensive.

2.29/5  rDev -49.1%

Vintage 2007 13% ABV
[Bottled on 10/12/2007 - Poured on 11/29/2007]

Pours a deep black, looks thick coming out of the bottle. No head at all, just a few brown bubbles clinging to the side of the snifter. Looks similar to a glass of used motor oil.

Initial aroma is a blast of dark molasses. Later I pick up more molasses with hints of oak. I took a sniff from a bottle of Wellers just to make sure I wasn't missing any bourbon aromas...I'm not.

Initial taste is also dominated by molasses and a pronounced alcohol burn. As it warms the beer actually mellows out a little with touches of oak tannin and smoke. Mouth feel is thick, but thanks to the alcohol, not that smooth.

Overall, I'm struggling with this beer. I expected so much more. Perhaps some time in the cellar will help mellow this beast out a bit...

2.3/5  rDev -48.9%

2010

A Poured like motor oil. Black as night with no head whatsoever.

S Bourbon, bourbon and bourbon. Slight chocolate but I'm not getting much else.

T Bourbon, bourbon and bourbon. This was not very well balanced. I know it's called "Bourbon County", but there is not much else going on here. Some bitter chocolate flavor.

M Very thick beer but nice carbonation.

O I really really wanted to like this on account that I have a rare that I still need to pop open, but it was really hard for me to enjoy this. The Bourbon flavor was just to much for me. Probably needed to cellar it for another year or two.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.