Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by DrewBeechum on 06-26-2003

#32

Ratings: 12,636 |  Reviews: 3,035

Tart, alcoholic, not good at all. A bad batch - there *was* a limited mail in refund program. Sampled with some friends and ended up pouring most of it out. Goose Island is no longer worth the premium or the hype.

1.05/5  rDev -77.2%

1.08/5  rDev -76.5%

1.25/5  rDev -72.8%

This beer, if you can call it beer, is the absolute worst that I have ever had. Not sure how it receives such a high rating. I am a big fan of strong beers including imperial stouts and ipas but somehow this beer is just too much. Tastes like a blend of stout, red wine and bourbon. Un-drinkable in my opinion.

1.3/5  rDev -71.7%

I paid 13 dollars for a bottle of this shite. I am an idiot. This is a disgusting stout. It might as well be Pepsi mixed with wine. Blargh.

1.4/5  rDev -69.6%

2008 was great - 2015 is crap and that's what I'm rating - they did a short return window for infected beer so that is the review that sticks.

2008 12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. This is the second time I've had this beer and the last one was a 2009 that I thought was kind of a boozy mess. Either the extra year made a hell of a difference or my tastes have changed (more likely). Wow, this 2008 might be the best beer I've ever had.

Poured as dark as motor oil with nearly no head. Smelled of sweet bourbon and vanilla. The taste was outstanding - heavy on the sweet (but not too sweet) molasses and vanilla with a warming blanket of bourbon, and right at the end I got a hint of chocolate syrup. Heavy mouthfeel but not quite syrupy - perfect for this style. I could have had another but I was content after finishing this beer.

The thing that blew me away about this beer is that I wasn't blown away by the 2009 when I had it. I also had a BORIS (not BA) right before trying this beer. I though that was a great beer and to have this 2008 GI BCBS totally walk all over it really, really surprised me. After having this one I went on a search for both BCBS Rare and more of the 2008.

1.43/5  rDev -68.9%

CHOKE - CHOKE - CHOKE!

When I poured this beer I thought it could pass for chocolate, DARK chocolate milk. The aroma was thick, like molasses and caramel and Jim Bean mixed together. The flavor mimmicked the aroma but had a bigger punch to my pallet. IT burned on the way down like liquor.

I have to say this isn't the shittiest tasting beer I've had, but it's up there. Perhaps I should just give up on finding an imperial that I like.

If you want S T R O N G, go for this bad boy.

1.44/5  rDev -68.7%

1.45/5  rDev -68.5%

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 12,636 ratings