Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

4.5

Reviews: 2,936 | Ratings: 12,070
4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

First off, let me say that I am fairly new to the world of craft brewing.

A- Black as sin with a barely 1/2 inch head that disappears into slight lacing

S- Bourbon, oak & coffee with hints of toffee and dark fruit

T- Dark chocolate, coffee & black cherry. The bourbon was subdued but a definite booze taste.

M- Like a tasty oil slick enveloping your mouth. I mean this in the best way possible

O- Quite simply the best beer I've had so far

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Dirty brown oil like black pour. Ruby red around the edges and a larger brown head than I was expecting, with carbonation throughout. Probably because this is a bit fresh explains the bubbles.

Big roast malt, mocha, caramel, boozy aroma. Smoother up front than some Imperials, flowing nicely throughout. Great array of flavors. Caramel, mocha, roast malt, oak, raisin ending with some molasses and a hint of coffee bitter. Some hop balancing throughout, but not a real strong presence. Very full bodied and sticky. Alcohol almost completely hidden, shows up more as it warms. This was really well done, better than I was expecting for being so new. Good thing I have 7 more of these.

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage Got on trade! Served at 12deg C in a tulip.

A- Tough time getting the cap off. Pours a tiny 1/4" high brown head that is gone within a minute. Extemely dark brown colour almost black which keeps the score up with this aspect of appearance

S- Lots of bourbon here

T- That bourbon is back in spades!! Extremely complex brew. Coffee. chocolate, malt then the hops kick in. Just one flavor after the other until it ends off with heat. Slight licorice. Like I said, complex. Heat is there in spades.

M- Thick and creamy rich. This is a glass coater. Lots of heat

O- Fantastic brew. Just hits you on all levels. Got to have brew. Price point only brings this brew down a notch on the overall.

Food Pairing

Bourbon barrel aged stouts are very difficult to pair however as always with high bourbon and chocolate with coffee you can never go wrong with........... Chocolate cake with chocolate icing.

Enjoy!

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours deep, deep black with a dark brown head. Strong legs remain on the outside of the glass.

S: Wow, lots going on here. Chocolaty mocha, sugar, sweetness, bourbon, licorice. Extremely inviting, one of the best aromas I've ever encountered.

T: Certainly follows the smell, initially tastes a bit like coffee and then you taste the bourbon with a lovely lingering aftertaste of sweetness. I'd planning to let a few of these age to see how the sweetness dissipates.

M: Very thick and viscous. Certainly lends itself to sipping.

O: I am one to say that BCS is worth the hype. Sure it costs ~$25 a 4 pack, but this is one to be savored and shared with friends. This will be one of my all time favorites for a long time coming. Extremely glad to live in Chicago and have relatively easy access to it!

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Cheers to Bilco for sharing this

Note: 2009 vintage

Review adapted from notes taken 2/3/12

Appearance: Pours heavy, about as dark brown as brown can be without being black - dark tan head, fades pretty quickly (this is an older bottle, so whatever), leaves spotty lacing

Smell: Bourbon, chocolate, and perhaps a sprinkle of magic - burnt, roasted, and dry - caramel, burnt sugar, wood, vanilla, dark chocolate, semisweet chocolate - tons of depth, very decadent

Taste: A brilliant melding of flavors - bourbon, wood, vanilla, baker's chocolate, dark chocolate - slightly charred, definitely burnt, with hints of super burnt coffee - a lot of dry alcohol, which is somehow not boozy - just a touch of sweetness, some burnt bitterness, tons of flavors working together here

Mouthfeel: Luxuriously heavy, chewy, an adequate amount of carbonation, nice alcohol burn

Overall: Perhaps only surpassed by its one-offs...

Prior to this night, I had only had small samples of this beer. And I had only experienced it relatively fresh. With some age, this is nothing short of epic. Bourbon sometimes doesn't work in a beer. With BCBS, it's an essential component.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Finally grabbed a bottle of this and it absolutely did not disappoint. The beer pours black as night with a two finger caramel colored head that quickly recedes and leaves no lacing. The smell is of bourbon, vanilla, and roasted malts. The taste almost mirrors that but with the addition of some dark fruit flavors. There is very little carbonation but it is the perfect amount for the style. Overall this was an amazing beer and I can't wait to grab another bottle.

2009 vintage
a: Minimal tan head. Black with a slight bit of redness to it. In the snifter, certainly no light passing through this.
s: bourbon barrel aroma dominate here. whirlwind of chocolate, vanilla, coconut and caramel type smells.
t: its quite impressive how the bourbon doesn't overpower but instead extends the spectrum of the flavor. Those mentioned in smell all come together perfectly. Really well done. Delicious sweetness to it.
m: creamy, silky smooth. carbonation is there and probably where it should be.
d: this goes down too easily.

Before I drank this I had imagined what perfect bourbon stout would taste like, and this is pretty close. Certainly one of the best stouts I've had. Try this if you haven't (though I think most of you have).

Bottled on 10/11/07.

Pours out very thick and black, with reddish hues. Generates no head, even with a hard pour. Leaves a ring of fine bubbles around the edge, that stick to the sides of the glass when swirled.

Massive bourbon smell when the bottle opens. Big vanilla and oaky aromas. Chocolate cake soaked in bourbon or dark rum. Molasses. The amount of bourbon character is outstanding.

Wow. Explosive. Basically everything in the nose is on the palate. Like a boozy chocolate cake. Then there's spicy oakiness, and sweet molasses or caramel flavors. Some examination finds dark burnt malt, which is supported by a buried hop profile to add bitterness. Some dark roasted coffee notes show up over time. Juicy plum is a nice treat, as well. Finishes oaky, with some smoke. Some alcohol tingling on the palate and on the way down. Will probably be alleviated with some more aging. This was at around 8 months. Of course, after half a bottle, you won't get more than a pleasant warming out of it.

Very full mouthfeel. Fills the palate with flavor. Carbonation is soft and barely noticeable. Suits the beer quite well. If only more bourbons coated the tongue like this.

Drinkability suffers from the high abv, and the overpowering flavors. It would be a waste to drink more than one in a session. Sharing a bottle is not a bad idea. It's not an everyday beer either. Minor quibbles with an excellent package. Still a wonderful beer experience, and a must-have for beer advocates. I'll definitely revisit the next vintage.

This is my highest scoring beer to date.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a 12oz 2009 bottle into a snifter.

A: Beautifully pitch black with a one finger mocha head that dissapates slowly.

S: Bourbon! Well, bourbon at first, then vanilla, oak, chocolate, coffee. Holy shit! I could write an entire review on the smell alone. But I should probably taste it...

T: Wow! Just wow. There is so much going on in this beer. I get the bourbon up front and the vanilla and coffee follow. You also get the bitter hops, the oak barrels, its incredibly multi-layered.

D: Well for a 13% beer its damn drinkable! Its a year old, so I'm sure its mellowed out a bit. You still get that strong alcohol flavor, but I hesitate to call it "heat". Whatever it is, its more pleasant than deterring.

Overall: World class is the only way to describe this beer. Its just super complex and tasty. Everything in this beer comes together smooth and perfect. This is just a beast of a beer and a true classic. Must try!

P.S. I've heard some BAs say that you actually dream about this beer after having it. I laughed when I read that, but I can honestly say that I have actually dreamed of drinking this beer. Fantastic brew!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 fl ounce bottle into a Goose Island chalice.

Appearance: Rich dark brown, heck, nearly black body. Very thin bubbly light-brown head formed and did not linger.

Nose: Bourbon galore! Whiskey hits the nostrils hard. Sweet caramel and chocolate follow. Almost smells like someone decided to add a respectable amount of whiskey to a batch of brownies.

Taste: Pretty remarkable taste. Much like the nose, the bourbon is the first thing I tasted. The hops travel very well with the bitter taste of alcohol. The bourbon taste wears out and very tasty notes of chocolate and caramel break through. Toasted, almost burnt malts create somewhat of a smokey backdrop. The high carbonation makes this feel tangy and leaves a bitter finish.

Overall: I am still fairly new to the craft brew scene, in fact, this was my first Bourbon County Stout ever! It was great to meet fellow enthusiasts outside the liquor store as we stood in line. I'll be honest, this beer has an incredibly bold flavor. I was almost too overwhelmed after the first few sips. The taste is incredible, you just have to enjoy whiskey.

There is a ton of hype around these releases and I feel as though it was worth the rather high price and effort I put into locking down a pack of these. I hope I can restrain myself from digging into the four-pack I stuck in my basement to age...

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this on-tap at American Craft in Brookline today. Review from notes.

4.0 A: Pitch black. One finger of medium brown head. Average retention given the ABV, but not much lacing.

4.5 S: Bourbon is strongest, but there's a nice roasted barley component. Coffee and dark chocolate as well.

5.0 T: Bourbon is strongest again, but the other flavors have enough strength to create a great balance. Vanilla beans, coffee, sweet chocolate, some leather. Super complex and everything exists in harmony.

4.5 M: Lighter heavy body. Good carbonation. Creamy, but is missing that second layer of creaminess that would have made this brew perfect.

4.5 D: Excellent beer - even better on tap.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

2007 Vintage: pours black as well with a teeny-tiny brown head. Lots of roastiness and coffee on the nose, alogn with a bit of alcohol, bourbon, and smoke.

The taste is very nice, with lots of sweet roasty flavors. Some chocolate/caramel Rollo action also shows up. Some alcohol, vanilla, oak flavors also. The mouthfeel is very smooth with low carbonation.

Overall, this beer is way too drinkable to be 13% ABV. I'm feeling pretty good after this bottle.

2007 Vintage

Appearance: Pours very black with short brown head. Oily appearance after the head dissipates.

Smell: Strong notes of bourbon (as expected), coffee, and general toastyness.

Taste: Again, bourbon and coffee with hints of chocolate. A bit hot on the alcohol for my taste, but still very good.

Mouthfeel: slick and oily, lingering flavors, excellent

Drinkability: pretty good, but the alcohol could be a little more subdued. Too big to drink more than a 12oz bottle.

Overall: Excellent beer. Everything you would and should expect for a beer that looks like used motor oil and smells like you drunk uncle...

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2013 offering.

First of all, my plan was to buy a 4 pack, drink one, and save three for later in the year...Thanksgiving maybe...Christmas. Well, I've failed.

One left after tonight...I'll probably bring it down to San Antonio to share with my dad next weekend.

Anyway...

Pours pitch black...a thin tan ring remains throughout. No lacing.

Smell is all bourbon, dark fruit, vanilla, chocolate and everything good in the world.

Initial taste is bourbon...but there's so much more to this beer. A smorgasbord of flavors on the table here...all matching the scent and then some

Incredibly smooth. Just stupidly smooth. So warming. So good.

Yes it's expensive. And yes, it's totally worth it if you want to experience a world class beer.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

To preface, this is a review of a 2007 bottle.

A: This is as black as it can get. It poured thick with very little head.

S: It has a very inviting smell of bourbon, malt, and vanilla.

T: I can taste sweet malts, bourbon, and vanilla right off the bat. I can tell this is a 13% ABV beer. Wow! It's not harsh, but I can tell it's of higher alcohol content. My mouth is left with the taste of roasted malt/coffee.

M: It is what I would expect out of a bourbon barrel aged stout, very little carbonation and thick.

D: This is a very drinkable, full-bodied beer, but enjoy it in moderation. I wrote this review buzzed, and this was the only beer I had!

This is a very well balanced beer. The bourbon is smooth and melds well. I will be seeking out a four pack of this soon.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2015 bottle into a snifter. First time having this beer, very very good. So brown is almost black, with a pencil thin layer of tan head that disappears quite quickly. Great nose, chocolate, cherries and bourbon. Taste really matches the nose, and isn't too bourbon forward. Surprisingly drinkable for the ABV. While the mouthfeel and finish were good, I was surprised by lack of viscosity for the base beer. Would I chase the beer, doubtful. Would I buy it if available and reasonably priced, Absolutely! Looking forward to a head 2 head with KBS at Christmas.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

By far my favorite beer tried at the Capones black friday event. Miniature 5.5 ounce snifter.

A- Thick black engine oil with enough mileage from what should've been 3 oil changes ago. A small tan ring resembles some head.

S- All bourbon in the nose really. Some vanilla, and interestingly enough a little bit of butterscotch. But I mean this is like sticking your nead in a snifter of makers mark without the alcohol esters.

T- Lots of smooth, creamy vanilla, and a mouth smacking buorbon kick. Sweet sweet roasty malts. Cocoa puffs, yes COCOA PUFFS at least what I pick up in here. Peanut butter I detected, and maybe even some syrup(unless that was left from Bolt Cutter). Honestly this is the best tasting barrel aged stout I've ever had. Not a hint of alcohol.

M- Super smooth. Rich, full bodied with a mid level carbonation amount. I can't get over not detecting the booze at all.

O- This thing is the real deal and I'm so glad I finally got a chance to try it. Would take this over KBS, which up till this point was my favorite stout. GI's distribution is now hitting PA and I sincerely hope that maybe, just maybe some point down the road this thing comes around more regularly.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Dark black, almost no head (light pour).

Smells STRONGLY of bourbon, charred barrel, smoke.
Tastes like im sipping on chocolatey bourbon. Smooth, but a bit of alcohol as well.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It poured a thick, dark brew with minimal head but a small lacing. Held to the light, it is completely opaque with a ruby color at the edges.

The aroma of alcohol and bourbon is quite intense initially. After a couple minutes of sniffing this fine beverage, I was able to pull out some notes of spice and fruit.

The taste was the winner for me. It starts with a strong dark/bitter chocolate and caramel. This is followed by some oak and smoke notes with a bit of malt. It leaves the pleasant taste of bourbon at the end. It is very complex and very good. Given the alcohol content, it was not an overwhelming component to the taste.

The mouthfeel was thick and minimal carbonation. It is full body and has a nice velvety feel that sits on your tongue with the bourbon flavor.

The drinkability is quite good, however the hidden alcohol and the overall thick texture keeps you from being able to drink many of these in a row. I will say this, any chance I get to purchase and save some of this, I will. Imagine what it will taste like in a couple of years, when the flavor should be even more complex. Great beer.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Black with a minimal head that leaves little to no lacing.

S - Very strong aroma of bourbon and chocolate.

T - Begins with a carbonated sensation on the front of your tongue, then the bourbon (Alcohol) begins to take over with a mixture of chocolate and coffee flavor.

M - Not too thin or thick but medium bodied which given the amount of flavor and ABV is surprising.

D - It's definitely a sipper but again given the amount of flavor and alcohol it was very drinkable. I found myself placing my glass down after a mouthful but picking up as soon as I swallowed.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

My first ever BCBS. I'm very excited, but somewhat concerned that it might not live up to the intense hype.

2012 vintage. Bottled 9/26/12

I let it sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature before opening. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my CBS snifter.

Appearance: Thick, black, dark and dense. The beer looks like a cup of bold coffee with a finger of light brown head. The head quickly dissipated but left a thin ring around the edge of the glass. A very decadent looking pour.

Smell: Loads of dark pitted fruits at first as well as an ample amount of dark chocolate, charred oak, bourbony vanilla, roasted malts and a little smoke. Obviously, there's a lot going on here. Every time I sniffed the beer I picked up a different aroma.

Taste: Wow. Starts off again with some sweet, dark fruit and then woody vanilla and burnt molasses. The end of the sip is just lousy (in a good way) with the taste of bourbon, vanilla and the bourbon barrel. Really a very well balanced tasting bourbon barrel aged beer particularly for one that's so green. It doesn't drink particularly hot, but yet still gives you that warm feeling that a spot of bourbon on a cool night gives you.

Mouthfeel: Thick, oily and unctuous. For a beer clocking in at 14.5%, I'm not getting much in terms of booziness which is much appreciated. One of the best stouts I've encountered in terms of mouthfeel.

Overall: An outstanding beer and certainly worthy of the hype and its $24 per 4-pack price. I'm going to cellar the remaining three and see how this develops over the years.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

This is an incredible beer--one of the best I've ever tasted. It's probably not for everyone--the flavors and alcohol are intense--but it's probably worth trying for everyone. Goose Island have pretty good beers in their regular lineup, but their high end is truly exceptional.

A-The beer pours thick and heavy, as has been stated over and over by everyone else on this page, with a thin light brown head. The looks are definitely what one would expect from a very, very big imperial stout.

S-Intense smell of bourbon. It smells very sweet--the vanilla and roasted malt scents come first, followed by the oak of the bourbon. This beer smells more strongly of bourbon than a glass of bourbon. I guess this requires that the drinker really like bourbon, but I found that it smelled wonderful.

T-Very oaky with lots of vanilla as in the smell and also very strong coffee. There is a secondary but still robust chocolate flavor. I love this beer! I have a bottle of the coffee stout sitting around and can't wait to see how that flavor develops with actual coffee in the mix.

M-Light carbonation, heavy but not at all cloying or greasy. The beer is definitely meant to be sipped rather than chugged, of course.

D-Like I said, meant to be sipped rather than chugged, but I can't help but drink too much of it. I first tasted it in a bottle, then it was on tap at Dive Bar in New York for a couple of glorious weeks, and I have had it out of a bottle a couple of times since from my stock. I usually try to share a bottle since it is 13% alcohol and all, but I have also had no trouble finishing off a 12-ounce or a pint by myself. Very surprisingly easy to drink!

I bought out the local Whole Foods after I tasted this beer the first time. It's a must-try and probably my favorite so far of an incredibly competitive style.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Jet black and very viscuous to pour. No real carbonation or head to speak of. Just the way this pours kicks it up a notch in my book. Heavy bourbon aroma with quite a boozy smell to it. Long lingering vanilla/oak smell. Huge roasted and imperial stout like flavor with the most intense bourbon flavors I have ever had in a beer. Over the top but not in a bad way. Even has the slight alcohol burn that you get in spirits-not like an overly alcoholic beer. Lingering burnt and bitter flavors-deep dark chocolate and roasted malt. Great body-thick and full. The alcohol flavor leaves quite the tingling sensation. A great beer all around. Quite in your face but well balanced in the long run. Could not do it all night by any stretch but still damn enjoyable.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - This beer is a beautiful black, black pour, with a wispy, brown head. Viscous and shimmering.

S - Serious booziness here, but given the ABV, that is not too surprising. There are hints of the stout underneath, but the main hit is the bourbon and the barrel.

T - This is a strong, strong brew, with a broad uppercut of booziness that does not fade. I still rate the beer highly because it is expertly handled. Huge coconut and vanilla, brownie and oak. As the beer warmed, the chocolate and roasted coffee notes came forward, but the bourbon and oak remain the stars here.

M - A sharp bite of heat, but given the density, surprisingly smooth. This could have coated like an oil slick, but it didn't.

O - I am going to let my other bottles mature for a bit, I think. There is no question that this is a stellar offering, and I'll be interested in seeing how it unfolds over time. Later consumption with a couple years indicate this is a beer that ages like a champ, broadening the flavor profile and dropping some of the heat in favor of subtlety.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

It pours an absolutely obsidian black, like the darkest, velvet celestial wormhole. Two fingers of whipped cocoa brown head sink soon to vestigial sprinkles. Oh...and lacing?...lacing?...we don't need no stinking lacing!

In the aroma, malt is dark roasted and charred with deep caramel, dark chocolate, and black molasses. Dates, raisins, vanilla, and smoky oak join a hint of bourbon and a hot shot of alcohol.

Upon sipping, with heavy emphasis on the act of sipping, it's heartily sweet with caramel, dark cherry, molasses, figs, dates, and singed sugar. It then crisps a beat with baker's chocolate, raw cocoa, and espresso. Vanilla, oak, and smoke ground a glaring flash of vaporous alcohol. Residual malt sugar and spirited bourbon join burnt biscuit bottoms in gracing a finish of mild crispness and evaporative alcohol coolness. My god, it's full of flavor!

Full bodied, it flows fully and slowly, like straight 30W, and the light crisp glow seals the deal.

If there's a flavor profile that's fuller, deeper, and more complex, and better blended and crafted, I've yet to find it. Everything a monster stout should be, this one seems to be. Granted, the ABV is outsized, aggressive, and white hot, but if you can bear the buzz the flavor is a rich reward. Light dies here and flavor explodes, and the happiness it brings is a joy to experience and behold.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.