Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

4.5

Reviews: 2,855 | Ratings: 11,768

Update from 12/25/2015.

I first had BCBS two or three years ago, on tap, and as I remember it was listed as 16% ABV. I'd never had a beer that blew me away like that, and last year when I first rated BCBS, I gave it a 4.9 (at the time when you only gave one overall rating), partly I think on memories of that very first time.

Now, in late 2015, I've had a lot of Imperial Stouts, a lot of BBA beers, and a lot of high ABV beers. So I'm updating my rating, with a bit more perspective.

Look: dark as night, a small head, a little lacing.

Smell: terrific aroma, roasty and bourbon, lots of punch.

Taste: the bourbon is super prominent here, but the roasty stout flavors are really good also. Moderately sweet. Nicely balanced.

Feel: super smooth.

Overall: I'm in the anti-AB/InBev camp, and I avoid their beers about 98% of the time. But there's a place in my heart for BCBS. It's so intensely flavorful, so smooth, and such good bourbon. It may not be a 4.9, as I previously thought, but it's definitely in the top tier of beers I've had.

4.68/5  rDev +4%

2009 from a bomber bottle.

A- Motor oil black with a dark brown head that lasts longer then I would expect for a beer this stout.

S- Woodsy bourbon smell with butterscotch and a hint of coffee. Smells very sweet.

T- Like the smell indicated, there a strong bourbon taste mixed in with the milder chocolate, molasses and coffee flavors.

M- Thick and full, very pleasant.

D- Definitely a sipper. sit back and enjoy this one for a while.

4.68/5  rDev +4%

A- Opaque black pour in a tulip glass, 1/2 finger khaki head doesn't stick around long, but leaves a beautifully sparse halo of creamy foam around the edges.

S- Less bourbon than I expected, plenty of chocolate and toasted malt. It seems to need a little more warming to open up with more fragrant coffee notes. Black forest cake dominates the nose, almost no alcohol interference.

T- A flare of alcohol opens up the palate before rich chocolate and silky malt flavirs rush in. Vanilla and caramelly bourbon round out the finish. There's really more oak flavour here than bourbon, which is welcome for people like myself who aren't too keen on the sharpness and burn of bourbon. As it warms, more dried fruit flavors come through, namely dates and a little bit of dried prune.

M- Silky smooth through and through. Shockingly drinkable, but the finish is so long that it almost forces one to take a little extra time between sips. This is no problem, however, as I want these 12 ounces to last as long as possible.

O- All around happy drinking from Goose Island. This is a disarmingly accessible offering for even the meekest of stout lovers, pending a reasonable tolerance for alcohol and some oaky resonance.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Jet black with a nice tan head. Almost no lacing. Bourbon, chocolate, molasses and a wee bit of coffee. The taste is the same but with a licorice note. Nice medium body. Superb beer.

2013 - 14.2% ABV

Pours black. Pitch black with a bit of brown foam if poured hard enough. The head quickly fizzles out, but what can you expect from such a high ABV beer?
Huge aroma of chocolate, caramel, vanilla, a touch of smoke, dark rich sugars, licorice, and dark fruits. Intense and complex, the huge roasted malts and oak character manage to hide the alcohol quite well in the aroma.
Taste follows similarly. Chocolate, vanilla, caramel, dark fruits. Very sweet. A slight burn on the end from being a young beer with a high abv. Incredibly thick and rich, low carbonation.

One huge stout. Love it.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: This beer pours a viscous and opaque black. No light gets through. A tiny tan head forms, but recedes fast and leaves no lace.
S: The nose is huge. The first thing I pick up on is vanilla and chocolate. Big bourbon and woody/oaky notes come through next. Sweet malt with dark fruits come in towards the end. A very complex and wonderful smelling beer.
T: Follows the nose. All the complexities work together to make one hell of a tastey beer. The bourbon comes through stong, but it does not overpower. A wonderful smokey oak flavor with vanilla, chocolate and dark fruits again. Plenty of warming alcohol as well.
M/D: Extremley rich and creamy. This just feels great in the mouth. There is lots of alcohol and bourbon flavor, so that might detract from the drinkability for some. Though, I love it. A sipping beer through and through.

I shared a bottle with a friend one night. We both loved it. I shared some with other friends, and they hated it. This is very complex that might not be for everyone, but I think it is a great beer. In my opinion, this is superlitive.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Half bottle poured into small Belgian goblet

A - Thick, syrupy black with small tan head, leaving a ring of lacing

S - Bourbon, Oaky malt

T - Chocolate followed by malty caramel/popcorn

M - Very smooth with medium carbonation

All in all a fantastic stout and would work well in the winter as a warmer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Jet black color. Pours with a dark khaki head and nice lacing. A very beautiful looking beer.

S: Sweet stout smell with roasted chocolate and bourbon (think I get some vanilla as well).

T: Roasted chocolate, molasses and charred fruit (maybe). Everything blends perfectly with the oak and bourbon. Very smooth, bourbon taste lingers at the end.

M: Light carbonation. Very, very thick (really coates your mouth).

O: One of the best beers I've had. I love the thickness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The stout everyone else tries to duplicate.....So black, so thick, and so much barrel. Every great stout I drink.....I have to go back and compare to this. The complexity is off the charts....pick up vanilla, chocolate, roasted malts, caramel, and bourbon in every sip. This beer only gets better with time. This is a world class stout in every regard.

4.68/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle. Have had the 2013 and 2014 several times. This is a 2014 bottle, almost a year old. Pours almost pitch black, finger brown head faded quickly into a thin ring and a diamond shape pattern in the middle, cool looking. Wow this brew has some nose, chocolate and vanilla, bourbon, a little red wine. The taste is bold but soft, if that's possible. The chocolate flavor is sweet and bitter, some fruit notes of cherry and raisin, vanilla is there also. Alcohol comes out in the end but is not intense or burning. Mouthfeel is medium and slippery. Overall this brew is just filled with flavor, one of my favorites.

4.68/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been fortunate enough to enjoy this bottled and on tap. This review is based on the 2 times I enjoyed the 2013 on draft.

Pours as dark as you'd expect with very little khaki head. Aroma is undoubtedly the most pungent combo of chocolate, bourbon, and roast I've ever smelled. Flavor is huge on bourbon and chocolate. Moderately low level of carb, as expected. Overall this will always remain one of my favorite beers. A harmonious blend of aroma and flavor that leaves me baffled how a near 15% beer has no alcohol taste. Smells amazing, tastes amazing, and clearly there has been a lot of love put into such a unique brew.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

Served into my Tremens glass :)
2009

Appearance: Motor Oil black, topped with a lovely rust colored centimeter thick head. This looks like a stout. It even looks a little evil.

Smell: First thing that hits my nose is a burst of toffee. Which I think is something I get often from things aged in bourbon barrels. Then deeper there are soft notes of vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, and a nice under lying spicyness. Delicious.

Taste: Holy balls....this beer is more complex than an escher painting. Where some beers taste mimics the smell, this beer has all those subtle notes that the nose has...but in the taste...amp those notes up ten fold, then add about twenty layers of complexity (all that after one sip)! Notes of milk chocolate, vanilla, rich toffee, and spicyness. This beer is super sweet. There might even be some sweet fruit notes. I could go on and on, but there is more that i need to analyze.

Mouth: Thick, chewy, juicy. This is thick and chewy, but it still maintains a smooth silkiness. It has a nice tingle from the light carbonation. Coats the mouth with its yumminess.

Drink: If this beer wasn't 13% abv, I would session it like a mad man until it rotted my tummy with all its glorious sweetness.

This beer is a sultry ebony princess that will tug on your heart strings.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2012 bottled 11/07/12.

A: Pours a dark mahogany with a 1/2 finger dark tan head that is quick to disappear.

S: Such an amazing smell. Get the strong bourbon right up front. Also great vanilla and oak notes. Get a dark fruitiness in the background.

T: Great things going on here. Loads of maltiness, chocolate and oak. Obviously a supremely strong bourbon backing but its wonderful. Oakiness comes through as vanilla. Very complex, actually quite easy drinking.

M: Smooth as velvet, full body with low carbonation. Booze is hidden well in regards to burn but still very warming.

Overall I have always loved this beer and was very happy to get this years batch. Going to try to hold one for a year then I think it will get 5/5 on taste and mouthfeel.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Opened a 2012 this weekend and poured into a tulip glass.
Appears jet black with a silky smooth look to it that is appealing to the eye.
Smells give a nice big, but not too sharp, bourbon and dark fruits.
In your mouth it feels just like it looks, smooth. Covers and warms the mouth like a soft blanket.
The taste has mellowed since the orignal release. Less booze, more dark fruits.

Glad I still have 2 bottles left.

Just opened a 2013
A- Still jet black with thin brown head
S- Vanilla, dark fruit, chocolate, bouron
T- All the smells come though in the taste. I am finding it almost too sweet (and I love sweet stuff). I think holding it for another year or so will help.
M- Thick as a milk shake!
O- Still an outstanding beer, but the level of sweetness is killing me tonight. 12 oz by myself is almost too much. I am going to hold the rest of mine for at least a year or 3.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amazing!!!!!!! The pour was as black as dirty motor oil. The smell was of chocolate,raisins,dark fruit and smoke
smoke. The taste was smooth with chocolate,raisins,raisinets,brownies and a slight soy sauce flavor what an amazing brew

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'll preface this review by saying I don't like bourbon casked stouts.

I poured this thick black stout into a snifter, with limited carbonation and no head. The appearance is unlike any ale I've seen, as it looks like motor oil and has the same consistency. The scent is of a Sherry or a port with notes of vanilla, cocoanut and a touch of alcohol. Very nice, sweet and fragrant. The taste is exceptional and I don't like bourbon. Tons of complexities, I taste raisin or prune, sweet vanilla, very little bourbonlike harshness but hints of Kentuckys finest. As one with limited palate skills I noted several other tastes that I simply can't define and makes me anxious to try another. Also, I am not one for mouthfeel but this holds prominence over anything I know. Smooth, thick but zero alcohol harshness it's warm going down and perfect for a winter night.

This is the first bourbon casked stout that I've enjoyed and ill probably start to seek others out, my experience with this one is that good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I got a bottle of Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout last week, thanks to a good friend for letting go of a bottle for me to review, thanks Ben. It looks like this is beer 1000 that I've Kept track of on Beeradvocate, i still have a little ways to go till a a thousand reviews, but i thought that I would get some something special for this milestone and I've been want to try this beer ever since I got into barrel aged Stouts, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A= The label looks nice, it's pretty simple and straight to the point, only thing that makes it eye catching is that is says Bourbon County in big white letters. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through with a half a fingers worth of slightly darker tan head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some pretty nice spotty lacing, with a little bit of noticeable alcohol legs. This was a very good looking beer, it's just what I want my strong barrel aged stouts to look like.

S- Wow, I can smell this beer from a foot away. The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a light brown sugar and molasses like aroma with the malts being the first to show and they impart a great roasted malt and very chocolate forward aroma that has a light cocoa aspect to it and there's a somewhat lighter coffee aroma in the background. Up next comes the barrel which imparts lots of nice oak, vanilla, and bourbon aromas with a nice toasted coconut aroma that was really nice and there's also a pretty noticeable boozy aroma, no hiding that but it comes with the territory. This beer had an awesome aroma, the base shows up nicely and the barrel is really showcased.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of high sweetness that had a light molasses like taste to and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those nice roasty aspects that I got in the aroma with chocolate still sticking out the most and it has a flavor that reminds me of some pretty good fudge and there's just a little bit of coffee in the background. Up next comes the barrel which impart some great oaky, bourbon, and vanilla like flavors with the vanilla sticking out nicely and there's still a nice toasted coconut aspect floating around the background. On the finish there's some noticeable alcohol that's a little boozy, but not bad for 14.2% and it's a little warming with a fairly low amount of bitterness with a little more sweetness and it had a bourbon, vanilla, and chocolate like aftertaste. This is an awesome tasting beer, the base was great and very chocolate like with tons of great barrel flavors, I have no complaints at all.

M- Fairly smooth for a 14.2% Stout, rich, a little creamy, not too sticky, full bodied with a fairly low amount of carbonation. This beer had a very good mouthfeel that is pretty much just what I want from the style and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I loved this beer and I thought that it is a very good example of the style and I think it lives up to it's reputation, everything I want in a strong barrel aged stout was there and the combination of the aromas, taste, and mouthfeel just made it feel luxurious. This beer had nice drinkability, yeah it's on the sweet side and yeah it's boozy, but to me both aspects never get too out of hand, it was fairly smooth, warming, rich, fairly filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I would be perfectly fine sipping on a bottle of it and I think one is pretty much the perfect amount for me, I think it makes a great winter time beer, especially on a cold and snowy day in mid Michigan like today. What I liked most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both awesome and very memorable, that toasted coconut aspect set it apart. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I would change, but do wish I could actually buy this locally, but my part of Michigan always gets way less then it should and I don't think I've heard of any shop within a 50 mile radius that has got any. I would for sure buy this beer if I ever saw it, I would get as much as I could and I would recommend it to anyone who likes barrel aged Stouts, it's about as good as it gets. All in all I was very impressed with this beer, I really like Barrel aged Stouts and to me this one embodies the spirit of what a great sipping beer should be. KBS and Blacknote were my favorite barrel aged Stouts, but after trying this beer it's pretty clear that this is now my #1. Awesome job guys, keep up the world class work.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

OK I have the 06 an 07 in the cellar and was tempted to pull them out for direct back to back tasting until I realized I'm a little too tipsy for a vertical. Will plan for this in the near future.

WOW>>WOW...WOW

Quite possibly the best beer I've had to date.

2008 vintage From bottle to Sam Adams glass

Aroma is bourbon, warm alcohol with the roast taking backseat to booze.

No head, no lace, black, black, black coat the glass. I'm almost expecting wine-like legs but pure thick coating when swirled.

Taste is so complex. Obviously I need to touch on the warming alcohol at 13% is expected but all of the subtleties that you don't get in other big beer are here. It's like all my favorate flavors from BW's, DB's, and IS's are all present with none of the "hot,turn me off" nastiness. I've had big strong beers that start good and finish just hot and unsatisfying, but this beer leaves you wanting another sip, every time.

Had this one w/my wifes homemade raspberry swirl cheesecake and IMHO a rich sweet treat to balance this beer is heaven.

700th BA Review
2008 bottling

The cellar-temperature twist-off topped twelve-ounce bottle, cracked open with a threatening hiss and poured into a large tulip glass reveals an inky jet-black body with a tingle of bronze at the event horizon, trimmed with a thin ring of oily light brown foam. No real cap of bubbles dares show itself atop the drink, and the distinct gooey ring on the glass and a few freckles of lacing scattered about fail to keep the brew from looking pretty damned ominous. At its tar-hearted heart, the evil-dark stout sucks even direct sunlight into the black hole seething in my glass.

The smell is dark and chocolatey-sweet with plenty of savory, oaky, Bourbony booze. The aroma is warm, tangy and familiar, and reminds me of dark molasses cakes and fresh-baked pecan brownies drizzled with Wild Turkey and Godiva chocolate liqueur.

The taste is rich and chocolatey-sweet with the drying aromatic burn of smoky, oaky, charred-barrel aged bourbon. Powdered cocoa-style bitter dryness and a bright sweet-apple fruitiness clash headlong in a delectable melee, but upon meeting up with a bombproof juggernaut of thick dark caramel syrup, alkaline-bitter and fruity-sweet are forced to bury the hatchet and join the dark side, resulting in a tag-team tour-de-force in succulence, an undeniable dark malty richness, all wrought in the utter oaky, boozy decadence that is the hallmark of this magnificent elixir we know and love as "Bourbon County Stout".

The drink is silky and full-bodied with light carbonation, and is, without a shadow of a doubt, one savory little sipper. I'd heard and read so much hype about this brew I was just dying to try it, and I'm happy to report that BCS is "all that"-- no foolin'. Many thanks to Buckeye-lovin' Dr. Brad for this magnificent bottle of brew!

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

Forewarned is forearmed. I heard there was a lot going on in this Chicago brew, but ... Damn.

This is one beer that I could be happy with just smelling all evening. Upon first inky black pour, this Goose Island creation throws hints of licorice, caramel, coffee, and plenty of bourbon high notes. The more you smell this concoction, the more complex it becomes.

"Whenever you have that caramel/licorice thing going on, you of course have molasses," Talkin' Bob said, sticking his nose back into the pint glass.

As the Bourbon County Stout warms, its nose completely changes. There's a mellowing of fragrances as vanilla notes move to the front, along with rumors of a particularly smoky house fire.

True to its name, this stout has a beautiful bourbon finish, again with a subtle coffee, or perhaps dark roasted malt, taste on the back of the tongue. This is definitely a sipper, as you'll want to stop and consider every drop; in short, a beer that can truly be called a work of art.

I don't know where Bourbon County is, but I want to live there.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

Starts with the opening of the bottle. This is fresh. Bottled 8/2914 and opened 12/23/14.

I opened it and sniffed the bottle. At first I thought it smelled a little off. I was worried.

The pour

I pourd it into a medium snifter. From an inch over the rim I saw absolutely no head forming. Again, I was worried. I gradually raised the bottle , by the end of the pour I was pouring from about 15" above the rim of the glass.

About 1/2" of head formed, and my worries lessened. This beer is pitch black pouring and in the glass with no light showing through anywhere. Sniffed it again and it was much more appealing after being poured. The dirty feet smell was gone.
Taste-

This beer tastes amazing. Dark fruit, chocolate, hints of coffe, dates, worchestershire, the sweet taste from fine bourbon, oak, sherry, vanilla... It's all there.

Feel is thick and viscous, perfection. I almost wanted to chew this beer.

Overall this is one of the best beers in the world in my opinion. Beats the abyss. Beats parabola. Beats westvleteren 12. Beats just about anything when it comes to flavor and feel, and that's all I really care about

2012 (bottled 11-08-12, 15% abv) cellared, into snifter

I had this fresh, six months ago and this time and it is drinking very well now. Flavors/aromas I get out of it: vanilla, oak, bourbon, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, coffee, espresso, roast malt, barley in general and a little alcohol. Yeah, it's good!

Thanks to Jay23 for this one
2007 Bottle poured into a sniffer produced a tan colored head that turns to a nice ring around the glass. All this on top of a jet black body

Aromas of vanilla roasted malts, bourbon, and a slight oak note as well

Flavors are bourbon, sweet roasted malts, vanilla caramel and a hint of black licorice. Great flavors almost no bitters but the alcohol heat keeps the sweetness in check. Sips extremely well, smooth is a good word for it thick and oily in the mouth

Again drinkable would not be the word I would associate with this one, sipping is a must .one of the ultimate desert beers I have had so far. A great night cap and should be enjoyed as such

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - 2014 vintage on tap

Pours pitch black with a small brown head. Smells of heavy dark roasted chocolate malts, little coffee, vanilla, and bourbon. The taste is impeccable. Dark roasted chocolate malts, hint of black coffee, with a nuance of bourbon and vanilla like flavors. The feel is very thin, almost like a wine. Though the mouthfeel may be thin, this beer does not lack in pure stout flavor with mild bourbon booziness. Overall, despite the thin wine-like mouthfeel and look, this beer is as stouty as stout can be! Pure chocolate, coffee, vanilla, bourbon notes shine through prominently.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

Split a 2008 vintage 12 oz bottle with jessethehutt; poured into Duvel tulip.

When I first drank this beer soon after release I think it would have been a B+/A- beer, losing points for being overly boozy/hot. This beer has rounded out nicely in the months since.

Pours a syrupy viscous black. Little to no head. Maybe I should have roughed it up a little. Maybe one of the thickest beers I have poured.

The first smell that hits me out of the glass is sweetened coconut, followed by bourbon/oak, vanilla, and some mole asses. This is the cold stone creamery of beer smells: a bunch of sweet treats mashed up together.

First taste impression is of sweet bourbon and vanilla. I pick up a little bit of coffee, chocolate, and coconut too. Al little alcohol burn on the finish. A lot going on.

Coats the mouth completely and almost requires chewing. Feels as thick as it looked pouring into the glass. Maybe a little lacking in carbonation?

The six ounces I drank pushed me over the edge. The 13% abv is no joke. I would probably guess 10-11% abv blind though.

One of those beers that is the poster child for aging. Can't wait to see what it tastes like in another year.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.