Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

4.5

Ratings: 12,196 |  Reviews: 2,953
1.4/5  rDev -68.9%

2008 was great - 2015 is crap and that's what I'm rating - they did a short return window for infected beer so that is the review that sticks.

2008 12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. This is the second time I've had this beer and the last one was a 2009 that I thought was kind of a boozy mess. Either the extra year made a hell of a difference or my tastes have changed (more likely). Wow, this 2008 might be the best beer I've ever had.

Poured as dark as motor oil with nearly no head. Smelled of sweet bourbon and vanilla. The taste was outstanding - heavy on the sweet (but not too sweet) molasses and vanilla with a warming blanket of bourbon, and right at the end I got a hint of chocolate syrup. Heavy mouthfeel but not quite syrupy - perfect for this style. I could have had another but I was content after finishing this beer.

The thing that blew me away about this beer is that I wasn't blown away by the 2009 when I had it. I also had a BORIS (not BA) right before trying this beer. I though that was a great beer and to have this 2008 GI BCBS totally walk all over it really, really surprised me. After having this one I went on a search for both BCBS Rare and more of the 2008.

1.43/5  rDev -68.2%

CHOKE - CHOKE - CHOKE!

When I poured this beer I thought it could pass for chocolate, DARK chocolate milk. The aroma was thick, like molasses and caramel and Jim Bean mixed together. The flavor mimmicked the aroma but had a bigger punch to my pallet. IT burned on the way down like liquor.

I have to say this isn't the shittiest tasting beer I've had, but it's up there. Perhaps I should just give up on finding an imperial that I like.

If you want S T R O N G, go for this bad boy.

1.44/5  rDev -68%

1.45/5  rDev -67.8%

1.47/5  rDev -67.3%

Bottled: Nov 4th, 2015

Mermaid Notes:
Look: Black as night. Melted dark chocolate in my tulip glass. Coats the side with a motor oil type film. Barely any head.

Smell: O no! Not a good start. Bourbon smell is completely absent. Smells like rotten sour fruit mixed with an athlete's foot soaked sock.

Taste: I cannot lie and say I took more than just one sip of this beer because I physically could not drink it. That one sip made me want to haul. Tastes like a wine gone extremely bad.

Feel: Body is still nice and thick but the flavor ruins any chance of me enjoying the consistency.

Overall: Considering the fact that we've had such bad luck with the 2015 Bourbon County line-up, I was very optimistic that our BCBS's would not be bad as well. We cracked this opened because of all the news floating around that some batches were infected. Unfortunately the rumors are true. The fact that we got all our variants at the same store makes me wonder if all our bottles are drain pours (Please not the rare! Please!!!!!). Just put the remaining regulars in the fridge. Hopefully one out of the bunch is good! Open your bottles now! You have been warned :(
Cheers and stay crafty my friends.
[email protected]

1.5/5  rDev -66.7%

1.52/5  rDev -66.2%

I got this from a wine/beer shop where the owner said he'd heard good things about this one but hadn't tried it yet. Well, he won't hear anything good from me. I don't remember the last time I didn't finish a beer. Just dreadful bleck. A friend with me shared my opinion.

This beer either represents the Emporers New Clothes of craft beer or there was something wrong with this bottle. It looked a fine dark brown/black. The smell was of molasses, burned things,raw alcohol and more burned molasses. A hint of overheated radiator was one of the better scents. The taste was big and layered, but the waves of burned sugar, gloppy sorghum, alcohol, just kept coming like a string of plague rats jumping into my mouth. I'm not sure of the mouthfeel, as I was too busy thinking of ways to apologize to my tongue.

If you took a Guinness and let it bounce around in your car trunk for a summer spent in the desert, added various burned molasses concoctions and some bourbon you had washed your feet in, you might approximate the flavor. This is the Edsel of beers in my opinion, and I am a huge fan of big stouts.

1.62/5  rDev -64%

This is over rated, over hyped, and way over priced. I cannot understand the huuuuuge following. I read/skimmed a thousand ratings of this and only found a few that made sense to me. Looks great. Ink black. Poured into a tulip with no head at all. Smelled musty. Taste was overly sweet and I wondered if it was attempting to be a sour gone bad. Compared it to Brer Rabbitt molasses and that wasn't it. Compared it to Sorghum and it was spot on except BCBS is much darker. Felt oily and syrupy. Looked for the strong bourbon flavor and alcohol that are mentioned in so many reviews, but don't find it. I like a good bourbon and this shows none of it. Lingering medicinal taste on the tongue. I'll never recommend this to anyone and I'll never purchase it again. Unfortunately I got caught up in the hype and have two more large bottles. Guess I'll need to "share" them with our beer club or give them away.

1.63/5  rDev -63.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Ink black body and hardly any head at all. Smell is more bourbon barrel than anything. Lot of vanilla, chocolate, and a weird buttery aroma. The butter is so strong. Kind of soured/rancid. Pros for flavor: roasty malts, chocolate, caramel. Cons: overwhelming barrel, vanilla, butter, soy sauce, sweetness, booze. Mouthfeel is slick and kind of flat. Booze numbs the tongue. I really don't like this at all. It's grossing me out. A fine example of a messy, bourbon barrel-forwarded stout.

1.64/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Infected. Can't express the disappointment at all the wait and build up to taste a beer that just tastes disgustingly off with sour taking over the stout. The beer wants so hard to delicious instead it's a drain pour of good money and time in line. AND THE COMPANY DOESN'T CARE. Ruins my love of beer, despicable, won't be drinking any more goose island not even the IPA, with this literal bad taste in my mouth

1.68/5  rDev -62.7%

Pors Jet Black with no lacing in a tulip glass

a bad tasting stout masked with heavy bourbon that kills the palate it is cloyingly sweet I honestly don't see what the hype is about.

1.76/5  rDev -60.9%

I like beer, I like Bourbon, I thought I would like this, but was very disappointed.

Very little head, but a nice dark appearance. "Bourbony" tast was overwhelming from the first sip. Cloying, sticky, nasty, like drinking a large glass of bad Bourbon. The Bourbon taste is overwhelming. 12 oz felt like about 10 oz too much. I have three more bottles - anybody want them?

1.78/5  rDev -60.4%

Probably the most overrated beer I've ever had. Pour is heavy with no head. Taste like stale bourbon and stale beer mixed together and aged in a rotting wooden barrel. It leaves you with a disgusting aftertaste that stays in the throat forever.

1.85/5  rDev -58.9%

Beer snobs will say this is the greatest beer ever, but honestly, all I taste is licorice. That is it. That is all there is. It is just really alcoholic licorice. There are no hints of chocolate or vanilla, and the bourbon is virtually non-existent. It really just tastes like licorice. I don't understand how people taste otherwise.

1.92/5  rDev -57.3%

A - Black. Minimal coffee-colored head that dissipated rapidly

S - Bourbon. Overwhelmingly bourbon. Nothing but bourbon

T - Bourbon. Strong bourbon

M - Smooth. Carbonation seemed just about right

D - I'm sorry, but I couldn't finish this bottle.

This tastes to me like stout-flavored bourbon. I like bourbon. When I was younger, bourbon was my mixed drink of choice. I do not, however, find this mixture appealing (in any way, shape or form). If you want the same taste (at less cost), just mix Ten High half and half with Guinness.

Apparently a large number of folks find this appealing. I am not one of them.

Edit: In all fairness, this beer had only been in the bottle for 5 months. Another year of aging could have an effect on my opinion, but it is unlikely to make me love this beer. If I wanted bourbon, I would have bought bourbon.

1.95/5  rDev -56.7%

Umm, where do I start.

First of all, I know the BCBS train is probably gonna be outside my apartment with pitch forks. After tasting this beer, it's either I got a bad batch, I have abnormal taste buds, or it's just an overhyped beer.

Appearance - looked like normal imperial stouts. No head pretty much.
Smell - bourbon, coffee, vanilla. Ok, it's typical barrel aged stuff.
Taste - Tasted like alcohol straight up. Let it warm up, more alcohol! I get same notes from the smell here.
Mouthfeel - meh, it was very syrupy. it left a foul taste in my mouth
Overall - worst night of my life. I could not sleep. I kept moving around my bed all night long. Very gassy, trying to burp everytime just to get rid out the fowlness.

Sorry guys, this is my first experience on this beer, but sorry BCBS doesn't do it for me. I'm glad.

Edit: December 16, 2013... This is gross. Sorry guys.

1.96/5  rDev -56.4%

Reviewed on 8/15/08. Bottle, 2007. Pours black with a small dark tan/red head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of bourbon. Flavor of bourbon, alcohol sweetness. I can tell that this is a better bourbon barrel aged beer than a lot of other BBA beers, but I can't actually taste any of the underlying stout. I suppose it's less bourbony than other beers, but it is definitely dominated by the bourbon. And I don't want my beer to taste like bourbon, I want it to taste like beer. Also the 13% makes it extremely difficult to drink. Suffice it to say, I didn't care for this bourbon bomb.
4/3/4/2/10 (2.3/5)

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.