Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

Reviews: 2,866 | Ratings: 11,812
4.46/5  rDev -0.9%

Picked up a 4 pack at BevMo back in late November for $19.99. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to try!

Beer poured into an oversized wine glass, dark brown/black with no head to speak of. Nose is quite good with a big bourbon smell initially. As it warms more am detecting chocolate, vanilla, and toasted wood. Initial sip was bourbon. As it warms detecting chocolate, vanilla, and roasted malts. Mouthfeel is perfect, full and chewy, and extremely smooth. Overall drinkability is good. The abv is over the top and very present which makes this a perfect after dinner brew to sip on.

7-9-11: Sipping on a bomber bottled on 10-9-09. Bourbon notes have mellowed a smidge, alcohol still present and warming. Beer is as smooth and full as ever. The oaked bourbon, roasted malts, chocolate, and vanilla play together very well. This beer is still very strong and could easily go another 3-4 years. Damn, i should have grabbed a 4 pack last winter to age!

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a Duvel tulip. Front label has the story behind and description of the beer. Thanks to DoctorDog for hooking me up with this.

Appearance: Pours with 1/2 finger of very dark brown, big-bubbled head. This settles very quickly, leaving just a small spot of foam above the nucleation point and a ring around the glass The beer itself is black as night, with no hints of light seeping through. Thick layer of well-compacted sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Strong aroma of cherry and vanilla, with hints of bourbon alcohol in the finish.

Taste: Wow, the alcohol aspects of the bourbon is not nearly as evident in the taste as it was in the smell. Not being a huge fan of hard liquor, I was actually worried that this one might be too much, but not at all. This taste like chocolate milk, creamy and slightly sweet. Flavors of oak and vanilla in the finish. High ABV is extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation level, which is fitting for this beer. Mouthfeel is unbelievably thick.

Drinkability: I can't believe it took me this long to try this one; it has been in my refrigerator for several months. I guess I was a little intimidated by the 13% ABV. Now, I wish I had more. I can't imagine how great this stuff would be with a few years to mellow and blend.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

After bringing a bottle home from Minnesota over Christmas, and patiently waiting to crack it open, I see it today at my local beer store. So, now is as good a time as any...

Pours into a goblet a very dark brown color that really only has a color as it's going from bottle to glass. Once in the sipping vessel, it is completely black with no head to speak of. Even a sustained swirl of the glass brings just a little brown head to the top.

Aroma is sweet and full of bourbon. There's no doubt that this beer spent a good long time in oak bourbon barrels. The oak even comes through under the heavy whiskey.

Flavor is huge and multidimensional. At first it seems like a big oak aged stout with lots of roasty malts and some oaked vanilla character. As it sits in my mouth, it slowly starts to release the bourbon. It has a bit of a smokey-sweet taste towards the middle but the finish is very much like a fine single malt. It's drying as the alcohol evaporates off the tongue. I'm left with a peat and smoke taste that is really excellent.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth and as full in body as a beer can really be. The carbonation is nice and low, as it should be, with nothing getting in the way of enjoying it over several hours. It started slightly cooled but is warming nicely.

What a special beer. When I think back on what beer was to me five years ago, this seems like something from a different planet. You have to appreciate what they've done here, being a bigger brewery. Goose Island makes many good beers but it's good to see that their brewmaster still has the freedom of expression to put something like this out on the shelves.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%

Beer given to me by Newtonty, thanks buddy!

A: Pours espresso brown to light black, with a redish hue and tiny, small cherry head. Lacing is minimal and watery.

S: HUGE NOSE. I drank this beer at room temp and the aroma almost knocks you over. I don't know where to start on the aromas that come out of this beer! Bourbon, vanilla, cherry, sweet malts and chocolate to say the least. Everything is comes off this glass and explodes into the olfactory hues.

M/T: Full bodied feel, goes down like maple syrup on the back of the tongue and down the throat. Sting of the bourbon on the tonsils almost feels like you are taking a shot, not a drink of a beer. This beer explodes in your mouth with flavor. No dull edges. Thick, chunky, full of vanilla and bourbon. The flavors change even after swallow. Amazingly thick.

D: I had a hard time getting through ½ a 12 oz bottle I shared with a friend, because this beer was so huge. It is a complete antitheses of a session beer and that is a good thing. Its like a alcohol desert. One of the biggest beers I have ever had. So even though I enjoyed every drop of my small glass, one only please.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to Yetiman420 for trading me this.

12oz, bottled 10/28/08, poured in a big wine glass at 52 F/ 11 C.

Mainly black, but a beautiful golden brown coffee color at the rim. No head but a thin ring of froth that leaves some spotty lace. Even that goes away - no head or lace whatsoever, and then it actually looks quite good.

Smells delicious. Hot bourbon, menthol, and spice, with cedar, dark fruit, black licorice, caramel, and cocoa.

Tastes like raisins up front, then bourbon builds and builds, along with menthol, licorice, cedar, vanilla, cookie spices, caramel, dark roasted coffee beans, and chocolate syrup. The raisin flavor stays in there, getting stickier and sweeter as it entangles with the bourbon and everything. Long finish, sweet roasty bourbon, with a hot/cold minty alcohol burn that's completely welcome.

Viscous and sticky stuff. Quite easy to drink, for what it is.

Great beer, I enjoyed this.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a spiegelau pint glass.

A - Pours a solid black with ZERO head. Looks smooth, elegant, classy - like a nice Jaguar.

S - Very interesting nose. A complex mix of chocolate, caramel, smoke, and bourbon. Although it subtly hints at some characteristics of other stouts, the smell is very unique.

T - Wow - Mother Cacao has truly blessed this beer. Although the dark chocolate doesnt overwhelm the palate, the theme runs throughout the taste. The result is a spectacular mix that is complex with light shades of bourbon, vanilla, oak, and malts. Well balanced.

M - Well done. Mouthfeel matches the taste perfectly, and the carbonation is just right. I can imagine sipping this in some well upholstered leather chairs smoking a fine Cuban cigar.

D - For 13%, I'd say this beer hides it very well. An excellent night cap.

I picked up a single of these after being a little sticker shocked at the 4 pack price. But after a few sip, I can say with confidence that I'll be picking up a few 4 packs. I imagine this aging wonderfully.

4.34/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: Small head with little to no lacing. Great deep dark brown/black color

Nose: Vanilla, coconut, chocolate, figs, dates raisins fill the nose

Palate: More of the same. The initial impression is of German chocolate cake. Very sweet and smooth. There is more of a pronounced date quality than fig on the palate. Some heat on the finish but if paired correctly (Cigars, a mousse of some sort, pudding, other desserts with high fat contents) it might not be noticed. All in all an excellent beer.

4.04/5  rDev -10.2%

Nice and dark and opaque. To get any kind of head out of it you REALLY have to be vigorous on the pour! Smells pretty good - alcohol and chocolate malts. Tastes of a million different things. A bit over the top on the sweetness and little to no bitterness to balance that out, but it has the great advantage of not tasting like Quick (know what I mean?). There's chocolate and dark licorice and plum brandy. And raisins. And treacle and other molasses-like things. But it's too sweet/thick in the mouth. Ah well. Knock that down and bump up the bitterness and this would be outstanding. As it is, it is really good and I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try it.

4.18/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Portsmouth Snifter this beer is pitch black with a small dark brown head that dissipates quickly.
Bourbon. Coffee, raison vanilla and alcohol.
So. Much. Flavor. This beer is actually pretty sweet, with coffee and chocolate notes that then give way to the more subtle flavors such as vanilla and molasses. This beer has more bourbon character than any other beer I have yet to try including, Older Viscosity, Abyss, KBS etc. The after taste on this beer is of real maple syrup and is similar to that of the Sam Adams utopias, which is phenomenal.
Syrupy and sweet. This beer coats the tongue and lingers long after.
What a fantastic beer. A slow sipper in the truest sense. I have been sipping mine for 30 mins already and am only half way through the beast.

3.63/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a deep black with no head and minimal highlights. Looks like a glass of used oil.

Smells of whiskey cover anything else. This may unseat Black Magick as the hottest smelling beer I have tried.

Taste thankfully is not quite as hot as the magick and actually quote complex, comparable in character to founders kbs. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee are present. Alcohol is a doozy.

Mouth is thick and near flat, as it should be. Warming sensation is present.

Overall a bit too boozy for my tastes..I'd love to try the stout before the barrel aging.

4.44/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours super dark brown almost black with a tiny brown head that dissipates quickly and leaves not lacing.

S- Lots of deep rich aromas, molasses, tobacco, dark chocolate and coffee up front. Also some nice sweetness comes through in the middle, hints of vanilla. Bourbon notes from beginning to end with a light touch of hops.

T- This is a very rich full flavored beer starting off with chocolate, brown sugar and tobacco flavors that lead into some smooth sweetness again I would say vanilla. Then there is a good bourbon kick and it drys out rapidly with a hint of hops and dry roasted bitter aftertaste. Some alcohol bite in the end.

M- Full bodied with some good smoothness initially then an alcohol and hop bite in the end. Quite enjoyable.

Overall I would have to say this is a great stout. Great aroma and flavors, the head is lacking a bit but it more then makes up for it in other areas. Yumm.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to JohnTravolta21 for this bottle, 06 vintage!

Pours thick, syrupy jet black, standard RIS appearance. Cocoaey one-finger head, a bit of lacing. Smells big of bourbon barrel and booze, but in a good way, has a sweetness to it instead of a bitterness.

First thought: Holy crap, it's an expresso RIS! Huge sweetness explodes on the start with a bit of vanilla, then tempered by the booziness of the bourbon taste, with some woodiness as well. Slight bitterness through the end with some hops (about in the middle, as far as RISes go), and an absolute coffee blast at the end. The booziness and the coffee are what linger, but the booziness (aged taste) makes you shudder in a great way, not from acrid bitterness, but from how well those flavors merge with everything else going on. First and foremost though, this is a hugely sweet RIS. The sweetness never completely relents, just is tempered into the rest of the flavor. Mouthful is coating, filling, lingering in all the right ways, amazing spunk behind this beer. Pretty creamy, just rolls off the tongue. The ABV doesn't come off nearly as much as in the smell, it hides it better probably than any Impy Stout I've tried so far save Abyss. As it warms, the bourbon aspect comes out more and more, but while it gives a nice kick, i don't feel it really detracts a great deal from drinkability. I think the fact that mine is 2 years old makes this aspect stand out more than it normally would. After drinking, the lingering flavors are like from one of those flavored coffee drinks from Starbucks, except those feel overly sweet and artificial, while this feels hearty, naturally/perfectly sweet and delicious. I don't know how the fresher stuff comes off, but this aged bottle is amazing!

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%

I did a side by side of the 06, 07, and 08. This beer ages like a champ and the numerical ratings are for the 06 vintage.

A: All of them are dark black but the 06 allows a little light to get through the edges. No real head on any of them.

S: They all smell so good but the 06 is the heaviest, maltiest, and chewiest of them all. They all reek of bourbon.

T: Age does this beer wonders. The 08 is a super hot beer and even the 07 is considerably smoother. The 08 has a bunch of vanilla behind the head, the 07 features more wood, and the 06 is simply wonderful and almost creamy and slick like an oatmeal stout.

M: While the 07 and 08 are good,, the 06 steals the show. It is as smooth as a baby's ass.

D: The only hit against this beer is the slight over-sweetness. Otherwise it's great.

3.75/5  rDev -16.7%

A: Pitch black body. Thin medium brown head. Little retention. No lacing. Was promising on first pour, but failed to deliver after a minute or so standing.

S: Mostly bourbon... some chocolate and vanilla.

T: Amped up bourbon flavor. Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, oak and vanilla accents. Alcohol was perceptible. Slightly better than the nose which was rather one dimensional.

M: Thick, creamy. Strong, crisp finish.

D: Alcohol was a bit cloying toward the end. Over all a solid beer, if not a bit over-rated.

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

Served in a pint glass. Jet black with fizzy, tan head the quickly recedes.
Smells of roasted malts, vanilla, bourbon, alcohol, and chocolate, perhaps some oak- that's all my nose can identify. I wish I had a hound's nose. But it smells good, all the same.
Taste is outstanding. Strong bourbon notes, some coffee, malts. Nice mild bitterness. Booze is present but not offensive.
Nice mouthfeel- very smooth, in my opinion. Oily. Wonderful alcohol burn. I think someone turned the thermostat up in here.
I think I could drink a six-pack of these. Sure, I know I'd feel horrible the next day, but I think I could do it, and enjoy it. I'll let that remain a subject of speculation, however. I mean, I still don't really understand why Luke ate 50 eggs.
This beer is delectable. I have a handful of bourbon barrel-aged stouts in my "cellar", and am relishing the thought of tasting them. If they taste half as good as this one, I will be more than satisfied.
Looking forward to next year's edition. Hope I still have a job then so I can buy a bunch of bottles.

I don't know why I put off trying this beer for so long, I only wish I had bought the whole four pack.

Anyway I poured this into my duvel glass. Pours a impressive inky black & leaves a thin dark carmel head that goes away quickly. But giving it a light quick swirl brings a very fine thin head back.
The aroma is by far the best I have came across in a bourbon stout yet, I could have set with my nose in the glass all night. Very smooth bourbon, with subtle hints of vanilla, oak & well hidden alcohol.
This beer drinks dangerously easy, I could sip on these all night if it wasn't for the high ABV getting me first. The flavor is so silky smooth & creamy. It tastes much like it smells as others describe. Very smooth laid back bourbon with a nice roasted malt back. Subtle hint of vanilla & very well hidden alcohol to my taste. I know a few people still say this ones a bit hot yet, but I found it to be very drinkable.
My next beer run is definitely going to include a full pack of these guys to lay back for a while.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

08 release purchased in CA.

Poured into my big Stone RIS goblet. Minimal head, oily slicks, coffee stained foam around the edges and no lace. Black like strong coffee. Carbonation looks low.

Great smooth and sweet bourbon nose. Bourbon just dominates. Like bourbon candy. Fumy higher alcohols, burnt fruit esters, fresh sweet vanilla creme, and carmel malt too.

Huge sticky chewy body. Sweet 120L carmel malt clings on forever, along with tons of bitter black malt and or barley and vanilla extract. Bourbon isn't quite as present as in the nose but still makes a strong impression. Some alcohol heat; relatively speaking at 13% abv the alcohol is well...not well hidden...well contrasted. Immensely complex, but not just a mere big extreme beer but also a very well made beer in general.

Carbonation is fairly low, probably 2.20. Works well with the beer. Good drinkability, but it's the kind of beer that yells at you to slow down and savor it.

Any fan of malts is certainly going to appreciate this sweet bourbon-laden sipper of a beer. Thanks for sending Goose Island to CA! Cheers!

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Had this via route66pubs - thanks!

Pours completely black with about one-finger of light brown head. The head recedes fairly quickly into a wispy layer on top leaving very light lacing.

Smells glorious - equal parts bourbon and roasted malts with hints of woody vanilla.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though more complex. Roasted malts up front, followed shortly by bourbon and vanilla flavors. The ending brings a light smokiness and just enough alcohol burn to keep me honest.

Mouthfeel is great. A very nice thickness that's only shades away from being heavy, and soft carbonation that gently keeps things moving.

Drinkability is entirely too good for a beer with this high of an ABV - I could down a few of these without thinking twice.

Overall this beer did not disappoint - you probably won't enjoy this beer if you dislike bourbon, but even if you like bourbon the tiniest bit you will love this beer. I look forward to next year and seeing how this beer settles. Thanks again to route66pubs!

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%

Many thanks to tzanio for the trade!

Pours wicked dark with just a little brown around the meniscus. Just about no head at all.

I could smell this all day. Bourbon nicely balanced with delicious chocolate cake, molasses, vanilla aroma.

Taste is outta control -- I've heard that aging in barrels gives things a "ring" around the mouth, which is exactly what's happening for me. Center of molasses, caramel, & smoke goodness surrounded by that bourbon & alcohol kick. Almost out of balance but not, making it juuust right.

Mouthfeel is thick, viscous. Leaves a nice aftertaste. Not much "action", going along with the low low head. Not sure if there's something up, if it lost some bubbles in the trip or what. Not that I mind.

One's good for me, though I'll be looking forward to the next.

3.65/5  rDev -18.9%

Memorable Qualities: Have had this twice in bottles, the first time I enjoyed the oily sludge, and the second time I was completely overwhelmed with the bourbon and the thickness. I think there is a level with the bourbon barreling that can make for an incredible beer, others are overkill. File this in the latter.

'08 vintage poured at a recent BA tasting event. Pours a nearly flat motor oil black. The nose is all bourbon boozy with some vanilla notes. Taste is more of the same but adding in some espresso and bakers chocolate. Very smooth with a little bite of heat on the sides of the mouth. Looong finish. People who trash this beer just don't understand it.

4.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a thick black sludge into my imperial pint glass, no head to speak of. No seeing through this bad boy. The aroma is big time bourbon, oak, and vanilla extract. Nice smooth bourbon flavors, vanilla, and straight caramel, perhaps slightly burnt. Secondary flavors are roasted malt, booze soaked grapes and charred wood. The feel is thick, not much is thicker than this. Soft carbonation and the body make this almost syrupy. Finishes sweet, roasted bitterness, and quite sticky. Oh yeah, the booziness likes to pop in to say 'hi' now and again. A sipper for sure, a nice night cap. Look forward to aging a few, though the twist off cap seems odd.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

I've had this beer cellared since July of 2008. The label reads that its from the 2007 batch. I figure since this review will give me my discipleship that now is the time to pop the top.

A - Dark brown, milky, thin, bubbly head. It fades fast to reveal a thick, black, and action packed surface. This is a sight.

S - Dark chocolate, coffee, clove.

T - Rich semi-sweet chocolate, very mild coffee flavor, noticeable hoppy clove.

M - The feel in my stomach is something to note. It offers a weight that's certainly recognizable. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky and creamy.

~ This is not a brew for the meager. If you're going to indulge in this top of the line brew... make sure you have the capacity and love to really enjoy it.

What's even better? While sampling this fine beer one of my favorite songs came on the radio. Peace Frog by The Doors.

Oh, and guess what else? I've just become a Disciple!

4.02/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Dark with no head or lacing apparent

S - Chocolate, coffee, roasy flavors come out in the smell with some alocohol smell

T - Goood no great with a nice roasty finish

M - pretty thick full bodied with a dry finish

D - Almost too much alcohol. Can drink one bottle just fine, but not much more.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

I first had this beer at the GABF in 2007 and couldn't get enough. Picked up a 4 pack in Indy later that Fall. This sample is poured into a snifter at around 50 degrees.

Jet black with a coffee brown head and good retention. Noticeble legs when swirled around the glass. Huge aroma with roast, coffee, vanilla, oak, slight whisky, and alcohol. Very nice. Flavor is oh so nice - roasty notes blend with alcohol, oak, and bourbon essences. Balanced exquisitely, with all the flavors there but none overwhelming. Not always easy to do with bourbon-barrel aging. The mouthfeel is also beautiful - like pure cream.

I believe this is the best barrel-aged imperial stout I've ever had. Wonderful, highly recommended, and worth the price.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Completely black and opaque. Sweet, malty nose. No head...almost looked flat when pouring. Sweet, malty, bourbony initial flavor. Almost a scotch flavor. Slight hop finish. Strong alcoholic post-finish. HUGE stout...biggest I've ever had and certainly one of the best examples of this style. Would be good paired with strong food, cigar. Ridiculous.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.