Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

4.5

Reviews: 2,948 | Ratings: 12,138
4.49/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2016 on tap at a local restaurant/bar.

A: Pours jet black in color. No head. Thin khaki colored lacing throughout.

S: Aromas of coffee, vanilla, bourbon, cola, dark chocolate, caramel, sweet and toasted malts, licorice, raisins, cherries, and other dark fruits.

T: Taste follows the nose somewhat. Leads with sweet caramel and cola followed by bitter dark chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. Finishes with notes of cherry, raisins, licorice, and toasted malts with a slight lingering bitterness.

F: Full bodied, medium thickness, creamy, and smooth with a small amount of carbonation.

O: Overall, this is a great BA Stout. This was my first time trying this one. The flavor profile is very complex and interesting. Lots going on in this one. At first, I felt it was overly sweet, but as it started to warm it began to balance out the sweetness and fruitiness with coffee and bourbon. Only wish I would have had time to sit and let it warm longer. Great BA stout and I'm looking forward to cracking one of my bottles to see if there is any difference.

4.32/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 vintage dated 10/1/15.

A: Beer comes in a pitch black color with pretty much no head retention save for the thinnest little ring of tiny mocha bubbles. Major alcohol legs staining the glass.

S: Very bourbon-forward, definitely the most intensely bourbon-y nose I've experienced. Lots of vanilla, oak, smoke, and dark fruits, mostly cherry. Little bit of dark chocolate and caramel as well. Extremely pungent as expected.

T: Wow. Huge dark fruits and vanilla up front, followed by nearly as intense notes of caramel, dark chocolate, oak, and burnt brown sugar. Even some molasses on the aftertaste. It's so complex, with each flavor coming in a wave that unapologetically attacks the palate. There's a lot of sweetness, but not too much, as the drying alcoholic note really cuts through it on the finish. As it warms, I get a little soy sauce-y thing on the finish,

M: Really slick, almost oily mouthfeel that just glides across the tongue. Not particularly full due to lack of carbonation, but feels heavy on the tongue. Burning alcoholic sensation in the back of the throat, but this isn't nearly as boozy as the 13.7% would suggest.

O: I'm still making my way into the barrel-aged stout world, but this was definitely a step in the right direction. This beer packs a TON of flavor into a deservedly large package, and the flavor profile is one of the more complex I've experienced in a beer. While the nose is somewhat lacking IMO (too barrel- and dark fruit-forward), the taste is a wonderful melange of vanilla, chocolate, dark fruit, caramel, molasses, and oak. I look forward to revisiting this as I build my appreciation for the style, but as it stands now, I think it's quite delicious!

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Usually I pass on these beers when they release but this year it was pretty much talked up into my bag even though I didn't ask about it but my usual beer place guy told me people always fought over it so I figured why the hell not.

This beer is the blackest of the black. People throw around the words motor oil all the time, but this is the closest to motor oil I have ever seen. No head.

The bourbon is ever apparent alongside the oak. There is a dark fruitiness on the nose that you cannot deny. This is probably my least favorite part of the beer.

At first, the taste hits you with that immediate sweetness, but it quickly envelopes into vanilla and bakers chocolate sweetness which surrounds and dominates the mouth and throat, with oak coming in to match.

The feel is boozy and oaky with a touch of creaminess and lower carbonation. Swallows sweet and just a touch boozy depending on how big of a sip you take.

Overall, if they could kill that initial odd sweetness but keep the rest of the flavors, this could potentially be my favorite beer of all time. This is world class, and I'm not one to rate on hype nor anything else aside from how much I enjoyed it. Aging will do it well, but fresh is out of this world too.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let this one warm up a bit after pouring it, the flavours really kick your pallets ass. Coffee, chocolate, raisins, cherrys, all missed together give it dark and sweet taste. I expected a lot more booze than this. Did someone forget to add it?

2.16/5  rDev -52%

I don't think I've ever had a beer taste this bad. It was very thick and tasted kind of rotten. Me and several friends tried this and even amongst the 6 of use we couldn't even finish the bottle. I would stay far far away from this one. The color was very dark and it smelled like a stout and sour mixed together.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2016 vintage...not accustomed to a beer with this complex flavor profile....seems boozy at first but give it time...as it warms, can taste more hidden layers

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Jet black. Dark tan head diminishes quickly. Nose is a burst of bourbon, smoky oak, rich roast, caramel and bread. Flavor is an eruption complexity and yet smooth as silk. Bourbon, roast, caramel, fig, smoky oak. Body is full, yet finish is balanced ushered in by a bourbony booze warmth, a lingering oaky roast. No surprise but an amazing brew. Wow!

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2016 bottle

Pours a dark brown/coca cola
Pretty small head with one ring of bubble lacing

Smell is roasty, lots of bourbon, booze burn

Taste is complex. Deep roast, rich chocolatey thats more on the bittersweet side. I'm getting some slight berry tanginess in there too, before that huge boubon barrel taste. The end is a big hint of alcohol. I'm getting a little bit of a Coca Cola flavor too

This was my first time having this. I bought two and am going to save one for next year to experience some mellowing. The beer right now is pretty bold and robust. There's some smoothness for sure but the bitter chocolate and dark berries make it pretty vibrant.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled: September 22nd 2015(not infected)
Opened: December 19th 2016

Look: Pours very dark with almost no head. Head is dark almost caramel color

Smell: Has a nice strong bourbon/woody scent right up front, especially when you slightly aggitate it.

Taste: The bourbon is definitely a dominant flavor. The chocolate notes compliment very nicely.

Feel: Medium to full body. Very smooth and very little carbonation.

Overall: Very impressed, I definitely a fan of this one. I habe heard the '16 os a little sweeter. I picked up a '16 Barleywine that I will let age and now I have to find a '16 Stout. I have a second that I will continue to age of the same batch.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: pours a dark brown, with some light showing on the edges. The head, quite minimal, is a tan/brown

Smell: so much bourbon up front, vanilla, and a woody scent.

Taste: The bourbon is prevalent, there's some vanilla, nice sweet, chocolatey flavors, and the barrel.

Feel: medium to full bodied, carbonation prevalent, and a somewhat dry finish.

Overall: Incredibly good beer, with a great amount of flavor and a nice body. Worth seeking out every year.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:
Coca-cola black. No head.

Aroma:
Bourbon, fudge, vanilla, chocolate chip cookies.

Taste:
Boozy and bourbon, roasted malts, tons of chocolate. Dark chocolate. Very sweet. Bitter coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Low carbonation. Thick slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

Overall:
Absolutely love it. I wish I could have an endless supply of this. I'm a hop head but nothing beats a bourbon aged Stout.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 10/24/14; drank 11/29/14 @ the Yarchives.

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

Midnight black color.

A rough pour yields a dark khaki head; minimal lace.

Marshmallow, vanilla, banana & dark chocolate nose; whoa!

Thick, creamy mouthfeel.

Roasted coffee, milk chocolate, vanilla, coconut & mild booze flavors...holy fuck, this is complex, bold & delicious! Just a TOUCH too boozy currently, but a few months should calm this perfectly. I'm blown away.

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes......2014 bottle 2 yrs old.....deep chocolate smell.......a bit too sweet for my taste.....barrel is there but not overwhelming. ...........very well made beer but not something I want to go back to.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

I found this some of these bottle at a local craft beer bar. I decided to pick one up to see if it was worth all the hype. This is the 10/21/2015 14.3 ABV version. After having many barreled aged stouts, I can see why this is the Platinum standard.

Look - Pitch black. Looks like motor oil. Half finger of mocha head. Goes away quickly.

Smell- Dark rich Plums and Berries, Vanilla, Oak, Smoke and some pine!!!

Taste fallows the nose.- Big dark strong fruits and berries, Vanilla, light smoke.

Feel- Thick sticky mouth feel, Very warming.But very very drinkable. Would love as a night cap.

Overall- I have never had a other version prior to this. But this beer has probably ruined any other barrel aged stout for me. The flavors are so complex. I came in to this very unbiassed. I kinda figured with so many other bourbon barrel aged stouts, that would average. But damn, I was wrong.

I am aware of the 2015 batch infection. Don't know if since this bottle was kept cold in a fridge helped. But I am glad my first taste of this brew passed my expectations!!!!!

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I personally love stouts, the thick and smooth textures, rich flavors, and thick body. This brew has all that and more, this is currently the top stouts I've tried. Has the sweet bourbon flavor you would expect from a barrel aged brew which also gives the little tingling sensation on the tip of your tongue. Was contemplating sharing this beer, though honestly I'm glad that I kept it for myself during some alone time. When I poured this in to my glass a was so pleased to see such a deep dark color that not even holding it up to a light could pierce.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review was done while drinking the 2016 vintage. Recently had 2012 and 2013, which would rate similarly (2012 was a little more bourbon heavy). Haven't had them recently, but 2014 would be a little higher (more chocolate/fudge base) while 2015 would be a little lower (less balanced, basically caramel and bourbon, not obviously infected).

L- Basically black, slightly brownish tinge. Slight mocha colored head, but it fades to a thin ring that eventually disappears.

S- Bourbon is the most prominent. Some vanilla and chocolate.

T- Like the smell, quite a bit of bourbon in the flavor. It's supplemented by milk chocolate, caramel and a little vanilla. A little sweet, especially when it warms, but not enough to ding it.

F- Medium-low carb, which works for this beer. Smooth, rich but not super thick. Some alcohol burn on the finish.

O- An old standby, especially in Chicago. Very tasty, especially if you like bourbon. It's probably not worth the lines, but it's better than a lot of barrel-aged stouts that cost more (BCBS is fairly easy to get at $9.99 for 16.9 oz).

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark black with some purple hue, about 1" toffee colored foam with solid lacing. This is a November 2015 bottle so not part of recall. Smells fantastic, chocolate, molasses, coffee, spice. Love the taste, I get a very beautiful mix of wine flavors, chocolate, coffee, mild spice, little char, and good alcohol bite. The finish is earthy with mild alcohol. Overall this was a real gem to drink, the complex flavors were awesome, really liked the bourbon notes mixed with other flavors to give this just an awesome profile. Now I just wish I had 12 more to age. Top notch beer for sure.

3.98/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's obviously a high quality beer, but it has a bit too much spice and flavor that I don't associate with a stout. It reminds me of the Hunahpu stout down in Tampa, FL by Cigar City. Those spices are for a winter ale, not a stout.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Holy strong Bourbon! My first foray into the BCBS from Goose Island. As I said, very strong but very drinkable as well. It hits you but you want to keep drinking!

4.26/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle dated 29 August 2014 served in a Belgian snifter in December 2016.

Removing the cap indicated a secure seal, but this has very little carbonation. This is not ideal for the appearance, but the low carbonation seems about right for the smooth, full, warming, high ABV body. Boozy and woody (too woody) aroma with dark roasted grains and molasses. Sweet bourbon dominates the rich flavor that also suggests dark dried fruits including dates. Moderately woody with faint vanilla and coffee in the finish. Mild bourbon barrels and dark bread in the aftertaste.

4.23/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had the 2016 version. This could definitely use some age behind it. Initially, the taste is so sweet it's off putting then the sweet winds down and the flavors come through. Maybe with age that sweetness will mellow.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

First had 10/20/14 at The Mint. It was a 2013 Vintage. The flavors come out as it warms in the glass. This love affair has been had many times, and as with this style, the longer they sit in a basement, the better they get. I'm tiring of all the "releases", and tap takeovers at pubs, I try and hunt this down in case form.

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%

2013 version, on tap.

Appearance: Near black, can't see through it when held up to the light. Hints of brown and red as well? Despite an aggressive pour it produces almost no head, which quickly recedes to some slow-moving lace on the side.

Smell: I can definitely smell the alcohol, which is fine; I like bourbon, why do you think I'm drinking a bourbon-aged stout? Dark fruits, cherry, fig. Roast, malt, char. Soy sauce? Something savory.

Taste: Cocoa, but also vanilla. Wood/oak...can that be a taste instead of an aroma? Not that I'm prone to munching on wood or anything. More dark fruits. Bourbon. People often praise big, high ABV stouts for hiding the alcohol. This...doesn't, but it's not bad. It's got the bourbon sweetness. The taste gets better across the middle of the tongue and it leaves a strong aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not very carbonated, and I like carbonated. It's the reason I don't like nitro beers. I have to swish it around a bit to feel the bubbles, but they're there. Thick, but not heavy; very pleasant body.

Overall: Does it live up to the hype? Probably. I had this once before when I was drunk and thought it might be one of my favorite beers ever. I hate feeding into the hype, but it's probably deserved.

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%

I'm enjoying this much more than 2015 or 2014. Actually, I recently opened a cellared 2014 and this is drinking like that - wicked smooth and tasty! My past experiences with fresh BCBS is that it's too 'hot' and bourbon-y for me but that age tempers it nicely. This one is already there. Not sure what, if any, role pasteurization plays in that.

4.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 vintage. Drank from the tap out of a tulip glass. Beer pours pitch black with no head. Aggressive swirling produces a small dark brown head. Aroma smacks of bourbon. Super fudgy with big dried cherry and fig aromas jumping out of the glass. Aroma translates to the palate but with a boozy bourbon punch on the finish. Mouthfeel is very thick and fudgy like drinking slightly watered down chocolate syrup. This beer is the benchmark for barrel aged stouts and I can see why. But benchmark doesn't always mean best and I think that the boozyness holds it back a bit. 93.5 points.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.