Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Added by DrewBeechum on 06-26-2003

#30

Ratings: 12,278 |  Reviews: 2,966

4.36/5  rDev -5.2%

I have revisited this beer many times since my initial review and decided to finally update what I consider to be a "more accurate" review.

12 oz. Bottle poured into my Duvel Tulip. This is the 2012 vintage.

Appearance: Pitch black with a 1/2" tan head which recedes to a cap, nice lacing.

Smell: Bourbon, still big and bold, draped over a base of coffee and chocolate, oaky vanilla is also present.

Taste: Bourbon, chocolate, toffee, coffee, some vanilla too, and yes maybe a faint hint of licorice. This beer has it all, a big bourbon flavor bomb in a very good way.

Mouth feel: Smooth and creamy and warming.

Overall: Just a really nice BA Stout with so much flavor that the ABV is only noticeable by the warmth in the finish.

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Enjoyed at a Goose Island tasting at a local beer distributor.

Poured from tap into a plastic tasting cup. Year 2012

I purchased 4 12oz bottles a month prior so I can age them. Wanted to try It without opening up one of my bottles.

I'm not gonna go into specifics about appearance, mouthfeel and taste as most of the full reviews hit it dead on.

Basically, I had a feeling what the best Bourbon barrel beer should taste like and BCS was that one.... it had everything rolled into one without being overpowering in any aspect. It was a perfect balance between taste smoothness and alcohol... you really can't tell it's 15% alcohol... tastes like 7%-8%... no nasty aftertaste just perfection.

This is a beer you do not bring as a everyday beer to drink with your friends. This is a beer you hoard and save it for a special occasion. It's a sipper. It's also a beer that is world class and rightfully so... way better than KBS. I know.. there 2 different kinds of beers but just saying.. the best beer I've EVER had..

Edit: I forgot to mention at the tasting they had cheese there as well. They paired the stout with a blue cheese that mended just perfectly.

Edit2: review for 2013 and 2012 drank on black friday 2013...

This years batch seemed to have a better bourbon smell with it way up front.. I remember last years not being AS strong.. mouthfeel seems better this year and smell is way better than I remember fresh 2012... overall I liked 2012 better because it was slightly sweeter but this years taste phenomenal as usual....

2012...drank a year old version.... smell was extremely fruity and instantly I got angry because I only have 2 2012 left and im saving them for a vertical... the smell was so perfect, instantly a 5.. Dark fruits galore and the bourbon has taken a back seat... still alcohol presence but nothing offputting... creamy heavy mouthfeel but non cloying... I give the 2012 vintage with a year on it a better score than the fresh... imo just better with a year on it... well see about 2+...next year

Edit 3- enjoyed 2013 version on 8/28/14. . Simply divine. A spectacular beer. Creamy, huge bourbon and chocolate. Mostly wrote this to urge everyone who smokes cigars or likes a cigar every now and again to drink this beer with a good cigar. It just simply makes both the beer and cigar better. I am surprised I waited this long to try this pairing. One of the best beers ever made.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.86/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

notes written on 11/2012
A - Poured into snifter. Pure pitch back. Looks thin, very little head.

S - Bouban, oak, vanilla, fruits.

T - Sweeter than expected. Strong alcohol, bourbon kick. Dark sweet bourbon and chocolate.

M - Full bodied.

O - I love the beer. I always know what I'm gonna get out of it, and it never disappoints.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 12,278 ratings