Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Added by DrewBeechum on 06-26-2003

#31

Ratings: 12,387 |  Reviews: 2,992
4.12/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12/3/2017 — 4.25/4/4/4.5/4.25

3.27/5  rDev -28.9%

4.92/5  rDev +7%

A - Jet black pour, dark tan head but less than I expected. Very clingy residue and tints the glass.
S - Malty, molasses forward, bourbon, somewhat boozy.
T - Still heavy on the molasses and roasted malts, but this was hotter than the smell indicated. After the sweetness fades, the rest of the flavors really come out. Malts, slight hops, chocolate, bourbon, burned something.
M - Thick, coating, carb level was a little lower than I would have liked.
O - I was surprised that the bourbon was not more forward, but overall, this is something incredible. The amount of refinement that has gone into the 2017 release shows and I think it's been nearly 20 years since it's first release. This is a beer that I'll actively seek out, but won't have to for a little bit since I was lucky enough to get 24!

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled Aug 2017, into snifter.

I gotta say I’m loving this a lot more than last year’s release (and mine weren’t infected). It’s a beautiful beer. Starting with the presentation - I love this bottle. It really communicates that a special elixir lies within.
The pour is just what you’d expect, plus the unique and lovely dark brownish-orange looking head that fizzes out quickly to the edges of the glass.
As opposed to last year’s super heavy vanilla and caramel notes, I’m getting a lot more dark chocolate, coffee bean, sweet bourbon, and charred oak - followed by a even helping of caramel and a hint of vanilla - and back to that nice charred woody character with the slightest hints of super ripe stone fruit. This brew masterfully and distinctly touches on all those flavors you expect out of an imprrial barrel aged stout and then exceeds that.
This is so smooth. It hides the 14%abv behind a wholesome, chewey, and perfectly carbonated brew that continues to lightly fizz on your tongue to the last gulp. Finishes with a small bit of heat that truly elevates the whole experience.
Seriously guys, Goose Island is still on top of their game with this one.

4.91/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.44/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.96/5  rDev +7.8%

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

4.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

4.57/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

3.84/5  rDev -16.5%

I'll dare to review this one. I've had exactly one of this particular beer, a 2017 sample, and it was really great. And that's all I'm going to get for awhile as 1 was the limit at the place I got it. Life seems so unfair sometimes.

I'd start with the bottle/label design, which I think is inspired. A perfect match for the beer found within. Imagine what it must taste like from looking at the bottle. That is what it tastes like. The beer comes with quite the pedigree, and I had some idea what it would be like, and it was pretty much exactly as I expected. Perhaps the finish was a bit of a surprise, but it is very much the sweet, molasses, malty, alcoholic, smooth, barrely beer that you've heard about and it looks like. The dark translucent liquid that clings to the sides of the bottle are a tip-off of the imperial stout/malty goodness contained within. I don't need to drink beer anymore, I can just look at it in the bottle and go "ahhhh!".

But seriously, this starts out molasses forward, becoming complex molasses/malty/alcohol, and finishing a bit on the bitter, hoppy side. A terrific ride, really. You get the dark fruity flavors and a strong dose of bourbon barrel flavor. The 14% ABV is a bit eye opening, but it works well. It is not completely hidden, but does enhance the flavors of all stages, from the initial sweet impression through the hoppy after taste.

Actually, I'm wondering how legal this brew is. It is so good, it must be addictive. I had one bottle, and I need to go into rehab. How many bottles can I get for the house?

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my first glass of 2017. I am a BA stout fan and get my hands on anything I can find. I have to say that by far this is one of the best I have ever had. I love the raisony prune taste. It smells as good as it tastes. The stickyness on the lips. The obvious bourbon undertones. It makes many of the other BA stouts taste like amateur hour. It is so well balanced. I wish I had cases tucked away. 1 bottle down and 7 to go!

4.63/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.23/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2015 Vintage (non-infected)

LOOK: Pitch black on the pour with coffee colored head.

NOSE: Lots of dark fruit, cherry, vanilla, some bourbon.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium to heavy. Very silky.

TASTE: Closely follows the nose: dark fruit, cherry, vanilla, mellow and nicely integrated bourbon presence. Everythings here melds beautifully.

Two years aging has cooled this beer down a lot, melded the flavors so that experience is coherant and complex without heat or bourbon overpowering the more subtle notes. Fantastic beer.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 12,387 ratings