Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

Reviews: 2,866 | Ratings: 11,815

Pours a pitch-black with a tiny caramel colored head that vanishes right away. Aromas if extremely rich. Tons of dark, overripe fruits, raisins, plums...vanilla bean, oak, molasses, maple syrup, the list goes on and on. Very in your face aroma and I think I smelled this beer for about 5 minutes before I even took a sip. Tastes is even more jaw-dropping and complex. Initial flavors of overripe fruits ala rasins, figs, and the like. Then steps in HUGE flavors of vanilla, coffee, chocolate, slight oakiness, nutty, roasty, molasses....absolutely phenomenal. This beer has one of the most amazing lingering aftertastes of any beer I have ever had. Mouthfeel is also ridiculous. Definitely one of the top 3 most viscous beers I have ever had as well. I can literally feel this beer coating my mouth. I feel like I have to chew it before swallowing. Light on the carbonation but seems perfect for this brew. Nice warmth in the finish. I cannot stop smelling and tasting this beer, sip after sip...and that;s a dangerous thing at 13%. Definitely one of the most amazing beers I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. I only bought a single 12oz bottle to see if it was worth the price as I am often very skeptical nowadays. But this beer delivers in spades. Time to stock up. I can only imagine what this beer will offer with some years on it. Gawdayum!

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A - Pours into the glass and it is about 10 shades of black, small amount a brown sugar colored head.

S - I get vanilla and caramel right away which I wasn't expecting at all, usually with bourbon aged beers you get a huge whiff of bourbon but not with this, I do smell it but it is subdued along with the malts and coffee.

T - Wow is this good, strong bourbon and wood comes through then come great sweetness like vanilla, caramel and sugar. Also this has alot more carbonation that I thought it would. Very nice balance.

M - Nice viscous body kinda like motor oil, coats my mouth very well, full bodied and satisfying.

D - Extremely enjoyable beer, top notch in the style and I will certainly be buying this again, totally worth the price.

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a really dark black into an oversized wine glass. It has a pretty, light mocha head which goes from barely a finger high to nothing in a matter of seconds. However, left behind is a ring of head around the glass that sticks there when left alone. The lacing is a mix of curvilinear forms and medium-sized dots that linger for awhile.

S: Whoa, heavy on the bourbon, please. This beer's moniker is apt. What a great scent! Mixed in with the bourbon notes are roasted malts, vanilla, caramel, a little espresso, some good alcohol, and a great woodsy-v aroma.

T: The most important thing to note is just how big this flavor is. It has a huge bourbon and oak sweetness the blends pretty well with the darker espresso and acidic alcohol tastes. To be really picky, I would say that the component flavors do not meld together perfectly. There is just a slight disconnect in each flavor standing out from the others during the duration of the sip. The finish has a pretty heavy alcohol burn on the tongue and in the nose that is followed by a nice, dry, coffee-esque finish.

M: This really runs the gamut. It has at the same time a big creamy feel and a puckering acidity. This dichotomy is very stimulating to my brain and I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how exactly I feel about it. After thinking a good while on it and taking another sip, I think that the bitter acidity overwhelms the creaminess just a little too much. I still enjoy it, though.

D: For all I have said about the conflicting duality of this beer, the drinkability is really quite good for a 13% Goliath. That said, if I had more than one, I'd be pretty wacky.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Had from the bottle and on tap

Look: pitch black

Smell: bourbon, vanilla, some dark fruits of raisin and cherry

Taste: Absolutely amazing. Bourbon and vanilla come through perfectly with the sweet tint of raisin and cherry. Slightest touch of coffee and chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Heavy yes, boozy yes, but that is exactly what I need on a cold winter night of drinking.

Drinkability: I only wish I could drink this all night. One or two max will make one happy. I gave one to my Dad a year ago and I have never heard the man talk so much in a night.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured ink-black and syrupy with a thin, creamy brown head into a chalice. The initial whiff was of Bourbon, oak, and vanilla, with the Bourbon aroma dominating. A big Bourbon flavor, with fainter oak and vanilla components and alcoholic esters - surprisingly smooth given the high ABV. The mouthfeel was pretty thick and oily, with low carbonation and nice lacing down the glass. A really potent stout, obviously, but surprisingly drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle poured into a large snifter. This is pitch black with only a small amount of head that quickly subsides. Smells intensely sweet with a mix of bourbon, raisins, cherries, and caramel. Alcohol is very noticeable in the smell.

Taste is extremely sweet. Bourbon is the dominant flavor, with some other hints of vanilla, raisin, and cherry. Alcohol blends into the flavor very well.

This is delicious and very drinkable. Met and exceeded my expectations.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz. bottle, 2009 release only a few months old, poured into a tulip.

A: Black as night with about a finger of beautiful brown foam. Foam holds up pretty well and a good amount of lacing forms with each sip, but it doesn't stick around too long. As it warms the lacing sticks to the glass a lot better, though it disappears completely as I let it rest between sips.

S: Just a couple minutes out of the fridge, lots of oaky-vanilla booziness and a bit of sweet chocolate, a bit reminiscent of a tawny port (I drink more port than bourbon so that comes to mind more readily). A bit of warming reveals coffee and dark fruit, cherries I think- need to allow some more warming to get a better sense. A few more minutes of warming and now each sniff catches alternating aromas of chocolate covered cherries and chocolate covered raisins. Delightful. I continue to detect more aromas, but there's so much going on I can't quite decipher some of the other notes I'm sniffing. Rich caramel malt is one of them.

T: First few sips are all chocolate and booze. As it warms the booze settles a bit- though it's definitely still there- while the aromas of coffee and chocolate covered fruits make their way across the taste buds. The flavors continue to evolve as I make my way down the glass- bitter coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and dark cherries. So much going on but so well put together.

M: Thick and then some, very rich and fudgy. Wish I had a brownie or some kind of rich chocolaty dessert to go with it. The finish exhibits a pleasant bitterness from the coffee flavors (and presumably some hops) and lingers nicely from sip to sip. As thick as this brew is, BCS is also pleasantly smooth, with an oily slickness that follows step by step with the long finish.

D: What more can I say? Bourbon County Stout is so complex yet so well balanced. So many aromas, flavors and a complex finish/mouthfeel that all blend together with near flawless precision. It's almost perfect.... Almost.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Pours a very dark black with a small mocha colored head that fades fast. A very think pour.
First whiff is Bourbon and oak! WOW. Then you get an aroma of mocha and vanilla. Its quite a rush to the nose. The first sip is the same, sharp bourbon with hints of port and oak. Another sip brings coffee, chocolate, and booze!
Its definatly a sipper. The booze is strong, but its more from the bourbon presence than the overall ABV. Actually the more you drink the more it smooths out and becomes just a nice tasty warmth. Now this review is of a 2009 vintage, bottled on 2/18/09. I would imagine another year would make it even smoother. With that said, I can't think a fresh one would be very easy to get down with all of the booze and bourbon. But if you can find an aged one, pick it up!! Its one of the most unique stouts I have had, buts its not one for those who don't like the uniqeness of the bourbon flavor.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

A- Black with a ring of brown foam.

S- Oaky with a little vanilla.

T- Just like it smells, with a hint of vanilla!

M- Smooth and easy to drink.

D- I could definately drink another one if I had one!

This beer was really teriffic. I highly reccomend picking one up yourself. Probably the best beer I've had from Goose Island.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a surprizing dark brown black translucent color that leaves a very small mocha head and recedes quickly. Swirls along the glass like oil almost.

Smell: Smells like cedar, bourbon, sherry along with your standard imperial stout. Chocolatly bourbon and caramel come through and sting the nostrils slightly.

Taste: Tastes very smooth. Big dose of vanilla, bourbon and woody characters come through, almost like a scotch. Very balanced for such high abv but the alcohol is comming through. Despite the alcohol bite, i believe its meant to be that way and it showcases the stout brilliantly.

Mouthfeel: low carbonated and perfect for this style. Doesnt leave the mouth overly cloying or dry. very smooth transition through all of the layers.

Drinkability: I wouldnt drink more than a bomber of this, but its easy to drink. High abv and huge complex flavors make this perfect with food and its delicious enough to have by itself.

Review from notes Aug 28, 09

A - Poured an intense, heavy pitch black with a dense 1/4" tan head. Nothing comes through, everything is sucked into this black abyss. Excellent retention the whole time. 5.0

S - Like Thomas Hardy's meets Serpent's Stout and got married at Maker's Mark. Very rich fruitiness of figs and dates. Touch of caramel and toffee. A splash of whiskey and oakiness. Some blackberries as well. Whispers of dark chocolate flows through, trailing a tiny hint of alcohol. 5.0

T - Holy. Shit. This beer is the new Arrogant Bastard. But it wears a top hat, monocle, and carries a cane with a concealed flask. Bold chocolatey notes mingle with intense roasted barley and port wine. Immense, black ruination of your palate is instant. It douses your palate with rich RIS-like roastiness, chocolate, and fruits with an English barleywine sweetness. Vanilla with a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish. 5.0

M - Full bodied, creamy, velvety smooth. Smooth carbonation barely leaves a prickly on the tongue. Coats the palate nicely. 5.0

D - Dangerously drinkable. Please don't drive after this, because you'll surely have more than one of these. 5.0

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

2009 vintage
a: Minimal tan head. Black with a slight bit of redness to it. In the snifter, certainly no light passing through this.
s: bourbon barrel aroma dominate here. whirlwind of chocolate, vanilla, coconut and caramel type smells.
t: its quite impressive how the bourbon doesn't overpower but instead extends the spectrum of the flavor. Those mentioned in smell all come together perfectly. Really well done. Delicious sweetness to it.
m: creamy, silky smooth. carbonation is there and probably where it should be.
d: this goes down too easily.

Before I drank this I had imagined what perfect bourbon stout would taste like, and this is pretty close. Certainly one of the best stouts I've had. Try this if you haven't (though I think most of you have).

4.32/5  rDev -4%

I got this from Dunt in a BIF. I poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a snifter. It pours a thick, jet black with a thin tan head. There are huge notes of bourbon on the nose. Upfront the flavor of booze is prevalent. It mellows out on the finish, with some sweetness and hints of vanilla. The beer is full bodied and an all night sipper. Truly a great beer.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Came in a 7 oz short glass, with a rich brown head atop a thick black beer. Smelled sweet of bourbon and a bit of malt. The beer was well balanced with bourbon and malt falling wonderfully across the palate. The alcoholic character was very evident, although was balanced with the sipping nature that this beer became.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

2008 vintage poured into wide mouthed goblet.

A - Pitch black with just an island of brown foam, not enough to call it a head, swirling across the surface and clinging to the edges, in all very much like espresso crema.

S - Aroma of fine bourbon makes a big first impression, further examination reveals rich concentrated raisins, dark roasted malt, charred oak, and vanilla.

T- The bourbon flavor is much more subdued than the aroma would suggest, but plenty rich bourbon character comes through without taking control, allowing this to really drink like a stout. Dark dried fruit, vanilla, charcoal, rich dark chocolate, carob, toffee, leather, dark rum, sweet pipe tobacco. Finishes a bit boozy with a hint of smoke. Rich. Complex. Amazing.

M - Super smooth, rich, and full bodied with oily coating quality without smothering. Perfect light carbonation.

D - Very, very, scarily drinkable. Its a sipper that I find myself going for a bit more heavily than I should. Will pick this up whenever I see it.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%

Out of a bomber bottle generously provided to me by a BA friend this brew was as thick and dark as molasses. The retention of the head was good and the lacing impressive. Swirling it in my tulip, it moved like chocolate milk, so rich and viscous it was, only black and oily. The aroma was rich and enticing; I smelled chocolate, tobacco, whiskey, oiled leather, coffee, dark caramel and hints of vanilla. The flavor profile was equally complex and robust. Again, I tasted that zip of bourbon whiskey, this time right from the start, followed by the dark chocolate and chocolate syrup flavors. I also tasted leather, dark malt, molasses, coffee, leather, prunes and the alcohol punch. As it warmed up some elements of wood and vanilla appeared reflecting the oak barrel aging. The sharp, punchy elements were off set by the soft, chocolaty elements creating a nice balance. The mouthfeel was creamy, the body full and the carbonation appropriate enough to help it feel full without being heavy. A truly enjoyable brew and well worth going out of one's way for.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%

Giving a bottle of 2008 a second review a year after my initial review.

A- Pitch black with a ring of brown foam.

S- Oak, roasted malt and a little vanilla.

T- Just like it smells, and the alcohol burn it had a year ago is barely noticable! The vanilla has emerged after a year of aging too!

M- Perfect viscosity and still smooth and easy to drink.

D- I think I could actually drink another one if I had one!

This beer has improved a great deal with one year of aging! I was not crazy about it a first due to the harsh taste of alcohol but I am going to buy some 2009 for my cellar and get some more 2008 if it is still available!

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%

12oz 2008 bottle bought from the local binny's for 21.99

A- Black, with a tan head that goes away qickley. Not alot of lacing

S- Potent smell. Caramel, mocha, strong booze, brown sugar, raisins, figs, chocalate

T-Malt, mocha, booze, brown sugar, caramel, raisins figs, chocalate

M-spicy, creamy, thick, barely carbonated

D- Pretty thick & filling. I enjoyed this beer thoroughly but I almost want to drink a glass of water afterward so that I dont drink another one of these and fall over

4.07/5  rDev -9.6%

2009 vintage, ive had it once before, gonna review it now. 12 oz twist off (dumb).

Pours a thick black with only the slightest bit of ruby and a dark tan head that is really loud and fizzy and dissipates pretty quickly.

Smell is thick with bourbon, tons of woody oak scent along with some bourbon/vanilla notes makes up a bulk of the scent. There is also sweet smelling chocolate, caramel, roasted malt and thick alcohol.

The flavor is intense at the moment, it could use some calming down, it has a huge malt sweetness, tons of bourbon flavor, some dark fruits, just a large bundle of barrel aged maltiness.

The mouthfeel is very thick and the alcohol burns nicely.

It is a sipper, it will only get better with age, I also have an 08 cellaring, it will make a nice vertical once they keep coming, it is a great but hot beer when it is fresher though.

4.51/5  rDev +0.2%

2008 vintage!

Popped the cap and poured into my large snifter that is reserved for beers like this. Thin but present espresso-crema head, and a thick, viscous-looking liquid to say the least.

Oh my God, that's good. I can smell that 6 feet away. Intense carob and chocolate-raisin. Rum, rum raisin cubed. If I somehow took Essence of Raisinets and concentrated it to all hell and threw it in beer, this is what it would smell like. One of the best-smelling stouts I've encountered.

It doesn't taste of Raisinets quite as much as it smells. But that's not to say it's lacking. It is indeed heavy on the bourbon, with a strong vanilla taste and a hint of smoke. Bitterness from barrel char moreso than from hops. There is some chocolate and raisin, though, and yes...even though this is a 2008 vintage, the alcohol is not entirely tamed. It's not a hindrance, mind you, but it's there.

Feel is impressive. This avoids the somewhat thin feel barreled stouts seem to have, I think. It retains a fair level of thick, viscous goodness. I would have to say it is exceptional per style.

BCS is, to put it mildly, some serious shit. Yet while you do feel the 13%, it's so good, who cares?

4.1/5  rDev -8.9%

Vintage 2009
This beer was agressively poured into a stemed tulip glass which resluted in about a 1.5 finger dark tan-brown head that disipated within seconds leaving no lacing behind. The beer is as black as can be you can only see some of the darkest brown possible near the edges of the glass when tilted.
Bourbon...I smell a lot of bourbon and what I think is chocolate but mostely bourbon
I am tasting a lot of roased malts, chocolate, some raisons for about a second before I get a rush of bourbon and then nothing else touches my tounge...not that I am complaining.
This beer has one of the thickest mouth feels. Its like having a heavy cream in your mouth but luckley it is a bourbon flavored stout.
This is a sipper. You do not want to rush this beer and it only gets better as it warms. I would also recomend a good strong funky cheese to go with it to "clense your palete" every once in a while.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

Beersis81 thanks for the trade.

A- Thick, black and viscous motor-oil like. Slight medium brown head that quickly disappates and no lacing to speak of.

S- I was intimadated by the smell of bourbon, not being a bourbon drinker, strong bourbon smell slight chocolate notes.

T- Didn't taste the bourbon as much as I smelled it which was great.

M- Was exceptional, slight carbonation smooth sipper.

D- Very drinkable, but probably better that I opened the 12oz. vs. the 22oz. I had. It packed a punch like expected, but don't think I could have handle a 22 in one sitting.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%

2005 bottle. Pure black pour with a small fizzy brown head. This stuff coats the glass as you swirl it. Smells of chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, pine and a hint of smoke. Lots of chocolate and vanilla flavor hitting the taste buds first, tons of alcohol, ending with bitter coffee and molasses. Thick creamy body and a huge alcohol burn. Damn! I thought someone dumped a shot of jack in my beer.

2009 Re-rate. The bourbon is much more balanced in previous years. The smoothed out vanilla and oak character combined with a nice creamy body, as opposed to a more oily mouth feel in past years, adds up to a truly nice beer. I couldn't believe I sat down and drank a whole bomber of this stuff!

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz bottle..2008..poured into brooklyn snifter..received by the very generous ottovon

a-black..no other beer is as black..small tan fizzy head that fell rather quickly...no lacing..small collar

s-booze up front..the earthy wood from the barrel sticks up next...the bourbon even after this amount of age is really over the top on this one but not in a bad way...the roasted malt hides in the back behind the vanilla, bourbon and wood...finishes boozy on the nose

t-starts off with booze but quickly follows with vanilla and bits of leather and tobacco and wood...the middle is where the chocolate resides and the roasty toffee flavors meld together well..the bourbon really roars its head towards the end of this and finishes on a smokey boozy note

m-thick and oily...almost chewy but not quite...the residuals on this coat the mouth forever and the booze really warms the tongue up...carbonation which is lightly present is acceptable..nothing offensive here

d-really?? can this be drinkable?? for the taste and flavors yes..but the overall package no not at all...but its so damn good i rated higher than it should..

overall my second brew from goose and i really like this...i love my stouts but this is one that would have to be taken in stride and not taken advantage of ...

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

A - pours black as night with a little bit of dark brown bubbly head that leaves a good bit of lacing
S - smells of bourbon, caramel, coconut, alcohol, and vanilla
T - tastes of bourbon, oak, coconut, caramel, chocolate, alcohol,and vanilla
M - full-bodied, smooth, and creamy
D - drinkable in the Imperial Stout sense of the word...so drinkable that I actually had to slow myself down halfway through

This is an amazing brew...my expectations were high, and they were certainly met.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.