Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by drewbage on 06-26-2003

Reviews: 2,866 | Ratings: 11,813
4.77/5  rDev +6%

Pours it's own version of black with a small amount of a tannish-head. I am not in no means a bourbon drinker but the smell overwhelms the senses in a good way. With a hint of vanilla and something like a maplewood sausage that blended well with the bourbon. I took my time drinking it sip by sip dreaming I could disect it and re-create it(right). Drink it on a semi-full stomach with some time to spend.

3.85/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a deepest brown/black, thickly filling my snifter with a petroleum look-a-like, topped by a brown head of fine foam, which quickly fades to floating skim.

The nose is a very full aroma of molasses, licorice, alcohol, bourbon, gentle yeast, a bready toastiness, with an edge of ripe plum and hints of bitter. More sweet and less burnt smell than many of this style, very pungent and tempting, very complex.

Not as strong flavored as the aroma predicted, but brightly full of all the complex flavors, moreso the molasses, less so the dark fruit. The bourbon sort of ties the taste together, and notes of oak and vanilla I didn't smell now mix in to make a fine taste. The alcohol is not hot, more of a warm spicy flavor. It tastes very well blended, I can only guess how much better this could improve with age. It is sweeter than I like (though well within the style's range) but the end of the sip features an earthy bitterness that is a good counterpoint.

Mouthfeel is thick bodied, very viscous, clinging, low carb., in short just right for the style. However, it rates lower in all of these categories than many others in this style, and it is neither as thick, viscous, nor clinging as I like an impy stout.

Drinkability is above average, it is tasty, but no where near as sippable as others in this style.

Impression: A good stout, full of flavor, but too sweet, and not as interesting as others. I will not get it again, though if you like a sweet big stout you ought to try this.

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Reviewing this one based on the second time trying it, as the first time I had it, I had barely started trying craft beers and had no point of reference.

Beer pours jet black with and surprisingly has a decent amout of head. Can already tell this is a serious beer. The smell is rich malt, with a hint of burboun. The taste is very complex. Starts with sweet complex malt maybe a hint of dark chocolate, and finishes with a sweet then warming bourbon flavor. The mouthfeel is thick but smooth, no issues here. The drinkability is a bit of an issue, as the bourbon taste and booziness can start to get to you after a few sips. Overall an exellent beer though.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I was lucky enough to try this one straight from a cask at Goose Island's Wrigleyville location. There's stouts, big stouts, and then there's ridiculous stouts. This is one of the last. Big in every way. Really big. Like a black hole, it absorbs so much light that it cannot be seen, only the dark area around the beer can be observed with the naked eye. Huge notes of bourbon, malt, malt, and more roasted malt. It's lightly hopped, but heavy on the ethanol. The malt does much to hide its monstrous 13% AVB, but nothing short of a preemptive carbohydrate feast will mitigate it's effects. If it's your first time, I don't recommend taking this one on without a friend and a safety word. Until you've learned how this beer will affect you, you should not drive, operate heavy machinery, or call ex-girlfriends on BCS.

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to barzigkin for sharing this bottle.

Pours dark brown to black with no head. The aroma is bourbon, molasses, roasted malt and a little bit of soy sauce. The flavor is roasted malt, chocolate, oak, bourbon and some light soy sauce. Medium mouthfeel, low carbonation and a hot alcohol presence. Very good beer.

4.34/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle > snifter

Baaaalack, oil spill style. A crazy, fizzy dark brown head hisses to about 1" and then sizzles out fast, it's been aged, and it looks that way.

smells much like the 30 year old Courage IRS (1977 vintage) i had last year. Barrel-aged musty wood aroma, wet carboard (oxodize) with caramel and molasses. The high heat tingles your nose hairs...oh, and some chocolate syrup too. Heat is deep with vanilla extract.

The tongue is dazzled by the huge malty complexity with all of the usual suspects: Thick hershey's syrup with some sweet and bitter aspects, graham crackers, wet-earth, musty fruits, caramel and the kind of heat that will remove paint. A dry, leafy peppery hop balance can found nearly hidden under the rest, but it does provide a decent balance to all of this malt power. The viscosity is high with high heat and huge complexity, sip this puppy.

Reviewed 1/22/10

Poured into a pint glass. 1 finger, tan head that faded to a thin layer that stayed. Dense and pitch black body.

Smell was strong of bourbon, vanilla, raisins and dark roasted malts. Nice oakey aroma as well.

The flavor of the brew was rich w/ bourbon, chocolate, oak and vanilla. Some nice caramely flavors along with a dark licorice and raisen flavor. No real signs of abv until the brew warmed up a bit.

Mouthfeel was medium carbonation with a heavy mouthfeel that was very slick.

Drinkability was very good for being 13%. Thickness and richness still limited it.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. Rich, thick and an intense amount of complex flavors. Definitely of the top stouts I've had.

3.78/5  rDev -16%

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield IL; 7 oz. pour into what looks like a juice glass. I'm assuming this is the 2009 vintage.

This beer pours as black as night, probably one of the darkest beers I've seen. As it was being poured a small head formed but by the time it got in my awaiting hands there were just a small layer of bubbles around the edge.

There is heavy bourbon and vanilla on the nose. A nice tinge of alcohol says this beer is heavy.

There really isn't any surprises in the taste department. A big bourbon sweetness upfront dominates the mouth which towards the end evolves into a more caramel/ roasted malt. I haven't had many bourbon aged stouts but this one dominated all the others by a long shot. The alcohol is very present and I think could use a year or two in order to improve.

The mouth feel is thick with a huge residual sugar content. The low carbonation compliments the richness of the bourbon character. Drinkability is only average at this point since for me the huge alcohol presence is a barrier. I've drank a two year aged version before and it had mellowed significantly. Next time I crack open a bottle of the 07 I will do a review.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%

Black as sin with a large thick brown head that dissapates into a thin ring around the edges quickly due to the alcohol content.

WOW. BOURBON. WOW. vanilla is there from the Oak too, but Bourbon and Alcohol just DOMINATES this monster.

Taste gives the aforementioned vanilla,oak and Bourbon palate submission, but there is a nice big chocolate flavor going on too, alot more chocolate then i remember from the 08 batch, but this fades into more bourbon as the beers temp increases. Drink it cold for think chocolatey flavors and warmer for more bourbon flavors...relatively.

perfect bit of carbonation melding with the thick body, lingering and lingering, never leaveing.

I'd like to sip this all night even after this bottle, but i can't help but save the other bottles for enjoyment the rest of the week.

This is a re-do from a review on Sept. 15, 2009

Previously, this 2008 Vintage did not impress...scoring a D+.

Appearance -- Not much to look at. Very dark beer, Reminds me of a syrupy cola as it poured into Samuel Smith Pint Glass.

Smell -- This is the best part of bourbon beers. It had an intense smell. Definitely smelled the bourbon. Almost overpowering.

Taste -- Wow. It was very bitter, very much like an adult dosage of cough syrup. I did not expect it to taste to bitter.

Mouthful -- All I could think about was, this reminds of mouthwash. I bet it killed every germ in my mouth. I've had bourbon beers before, but this went way over the top.

Drinkability -- This was my first drain pour as a member of BA. I could not finish it and poured half of it down the drain. Will age the other three bottles and try at a later date, and if my findings are different, I will re-do this review.

Appearance -- Jet black, motor oil consistency poured into Snifter. No light getting through. Lacking in head, minimal lacing around the 22 ounce snifter.

Smell -- It has "mellowed" out if that is possible. Very earthy, with the can't-miss intoxicating smell of bourbon barrels.

Taste -- It has "mellowed," and it tastes so smoooth. I cannot wait to see what a few more months will do to the other two bottles currently "aging" in my mom's basement up near Chicago.

Mouthful -- Given the choice of a workout on the Wii, or a glassful of this wonderful brew, it was an easy choice. This coats the tongue, teeth, etc. Totally scrumptious.

Drinkability -- Definitely not a drain pour. Though my re-do review might still not rank with the overall sentiment of this GI offering bottled on 10-08-08, it is definitely better with age. I saw a display of GI BCS '07 vintage at Roof Brothers in Paducah, KY recently and I might have to pick up a four pack to see what another year does for "mellowing" out this intense brew.

Thanks Goose Island for giving me a second chance to enjoy your Bourbon County Stout. Definitely a world class beer.

3.15/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

EDIT: In light of the comments below (reviewing a fresh bottle), I should add the following notes:

I drank a 2007 in 2010 and it was SUBLIME. The heat had largely cooled off, leaving a bourbon-forward bitter chocolate flavor with light vanilla and roast. This experience taught me: don't drink the beer fresh.

I repeated the experiment with a 2008 drank at the tail end of 2011, thanks to Nanoslug. That one was excellent, as well.

I am leaving up my score, as I feel a beer should always be ready to drink upon release. But it is worth noting that I would give aged versions of BCBS an A.

Original review:

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2009 vintage, an extra courtesy of chcfan. Thanks Chris! I just blue myself.

A re-review over the 2008 version. My palate has changed considerably since then.

A: Pours an oily black that is completely opaque to the light. It develops a dark mocha head that disappears quickly, leaving a very thin collar and absolutely no lacing down the glass. Just looks solid and imposing.

S: Bourbon -- very strong -- with lesser vanilla, oak, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and an alcohol singe. It's very pungent and captivating, but it's not subtle or balanced in the slightest. I don't like the booze burn and feel that other barrel-aged stouts avoid that problem, hence my score.

T: Bourbon. Wait for it... More bourbon. And some more bourbon. Then caramel, oak, and vanilla enter the palate next. The finish has hints of dark chocolate and roasted malt that produces a slight coffee character, but it's still very bourbon-dominated. And it's surprisingly hot; not quite burning, but I definitely notice the booze in the mouth, the throat, and the stomach.

M: Thick-bodied and oily, with low carbonation as is appropriate for the style. A strong warming effect is felt, as noted above. It's borderline solventy at times. I really don't get the love for this one; it's so brash and unrefined.

D: I have mixed feelings on this beer. Out of the gate, it's simply not ready to drink (IMO). I love the strong bourbon flavors, but it is too solventy for my tastes.

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

A - You know when you change the oil in your car? Yeah, it's as dark as used motor oil, no chance of seeing any light through this one. Dark tan/light brown head that kinda lasted but not much lace. Judging from the bottom of the bottle there is some sediment in there.

S - Tons of dark roasted malt characteristic and chocolate undertones. Waaaay in the back you get an undeniable bourbon scent. Slight coffee aroma is detected as well as a pleasant residual sugar smell blanketing all of it.

T - Whoa, this one will make your eyes water! Have you ever seen the movie Braveheart...well this beer is like the infamous battle scene, but instead of William Wallace and King Edward I you have fierce fired wood and intense bourbon flavors on one side of the battle ground, and on the other you have dry roasted coffee, semi-bitter chocolate, and malt sweetness. And if you've ever seen the movie you know what happens next. That's my analogy...I give it a 5.

M/D - About as big/thick/bold of a body you can get in a beer. Surprisingly smooth to start with very little carbonation, and a semi-dry finish. 13% alcohol? Bring it...this one burns almost like a shot of bourbon in the aftertaste and the flavor sticks on the palate for a while. That said, drinkbility is variable depending on how much you like to get punched in the face by ethyl alcohol flavors. That doesn't mean it detracts from the beer...just don't plan on swinging any claymore swords around after you finish this bottle.

I'm suddenly inspired to paint my face blue and and speak with a Gaelic accent...

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Michigan Trip Beer #1-
An amazing find on my short trip to Michigan. This is a beer I've been wanting since I started drinking good beer- and now I finally have it! (too bad the only glassware available is this hotel room highball).

A- Totally black- if there are any highlights they are a dark dark purply brown. Not any head which is only mildly weird given the glassware and the beer at hand.

S- In this department I really wish I could drink it in a snifter as directed. At first I wasn't noticing as much aroma as taste but as it goes down the glass and warms up I get more and more strength and complexity in the nose. There's definitely bourbon, oaky, vanilla, booze. Hints of unrefined vodka and corn whiskey (moonshine). Then bursts of chocolate- creamy and milky. Not a ton of roast on the smell but perfectly complex for my smelling.

T- Rich brown sugar. Creamy booze, almost like Baileys. Chocolate. Strong bourbon but not quite as vanilla and more tempered than the smell. Supremely delicious.

M- Silky smooth, delicious, sweet, lingering, awesome.

O- This beer was well worth the wait. An exceptional bourbony beer and one I hope to be able to have again.

3.35/5  rDev -25.6%

I probably need to try this again as a late night sipper rather than my first beer when I arrived at the bar in the late afternoon. It's a very strong stout, which, in my opinion doesn't do a great job of balancing the alcohol. Color was great, good carbonation that was surprisingly light for how dark the color was. Aroma is also very good. Again, the only problem is the strong alcohol taste that needs more hops and malt to balance it.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%

2008. 12oz bottle.

Aroma- chocolate, figs, wet tobacco, bourbon - woody and spicy. vanilla. strong thick aroma. cinnamon. alcohol. very strong oak and bourbon character. caramel. smokey. smooth.

App- very viscous and black. low foam.

Taste- very intense. sweet, thick chocolate. bitter, roasty, and very smooth. very clean alcohol. fruity- sweet cherry, some tartness. very mellow earthy hops. reminds me of ten fidy if it was oaked and much better. raison candy character. coffee.

Mouthfeel- low carb - perfect. thick but dry enough.

Overall- a perfect sipper. complex and intriguing. 12 oz in plenty (took 2 hours to drink). much better as it warms up.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Poured a black color with a thin brown head that fades quickly to a ring

S - Is a nose full of bourbon with nice oak and vanilla scents on the roasted malt

T - A wonderful blend of flavors the bourbon and oak flavors are strong but work very well with the stout as they don't overpower

M - This beer has a creamy smooth full body with light carbonation to it

D - This is just about as drinkable as you can get for a 13% abv beer yeah you can taste the alcohol but this beer is very smooth making it easy to drink this is a must try before you die beer

(2010, less than a month fresh) Pours a jet black without much of a head. The smell is of molasses, chocolates, and loads of sweet, sweet bourbon - this is what a bourbon barrel stout should smell like. The taste is loads of chocolate fudge, vanilla, and molasses, and tons of delicious bourbon. The bourbon is in your face fresh. FANTASTIC. Unlike any other beer I have tried before. Oily slick mouthfeel that matches the appearance with a medium body. Drinkability is easily a 4.5 as this combines a fantastic base stout with the best bourbon flavor I have had in a beer to date. I love drinking this, but about 8 - 10oz is perfect.

2007 (2 years old)

A - Pours a dark, deep black with a chocolaty head

S - smells of rich, fudgy chocolate. There is a touch of molasses, and the bourbon is faintly noticeable - it has faded quite significantly, but is still present.

T - The taste follows the nose. There is a ton of fudgy chocolate at first. This fades into a little bit of molasses and a bit of bourbon burn on the finish. There is also a bit of charcoal/burnt malt noticeable on the back-end. Overall, this is super rich and packed with flavor - outstanding. The bourbon has faded quite a bit, but the chocolates have become very pronounced - it is almost a new beer.

M - The body has thinned a little bit over the years, but it is still very smooth and goes down nicely.

D - This has held up fantastically over the last 2 years. I could drink BCS every night if I was able to. I didn't expect this thing to hold up this nicely. Fantastic.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

pours motor oil black with not too much of a dark brown head.
the aromas wafting off this beer are killer. rich bourbon laden oakey vanilla hits you first. rich roasted chocolate and dark malts with touches of coffee slide in beneath that. you find dark honey, molasses and a bit of cigar tobacco.
the taste is absolutely decadent. it's like a liquid malt ball... there's some serious chocolatey flavors rolling around. the bourbon barrel is obviously very evident with lots of vanilla/oak and ever so slight char. all the bourbon flavors with none of the hard alcohol bite. a little deeper in you get dark caramelized sugar and molasses rounding things out. at times the vanilla takes almost a coconut turn. it's got just enough bitterness for balance. the aftertaste is like a smokey malt ball. just a ton of stuff going on in your mouth. this is nothing less than the definition of bourbon barrel aged imperial stout.
the mouthfeel is viscous and full bodied. it's got very mellow carbonation that only adds to it's silky smooth texture.
the drinkability is pretty great as far as beers this big go. the 13% abv isn't present at all other than a slight warming on the tongue and at the back fo the throat. an absolutely phenomenal beer. if you don't like it you're probably a jerk.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Oil black with thick brown head

S: bourbon, roasted malts, chocolate dominate.

T: very complex, leading with the roasted coffee, chocolate and roasted malts, finishing with a bit of bourbon heat.

M: very full, thick beer with approporiate carbonation.

D: drinkability is a relative term here, I could drink it forever, taking my time sipping it. very filling beer though.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Picked up two bottles of this on a recent trip to Massachusetts. I've heard great things about this, although I never could get it in NH. Anyway, as I opened the first bottle, my expectations were sky high.

Appearance-Black as night, absolutely no light coming through this brew. One finger mocha head with almost no retention.

Aroma-As soon as I opened the bottle, there is an instant burst of bourbon aroma. Its a little boozy, but the strength and depth of flavors more than make up for that. Dark chocolate and molasses also hit hard. Burnt sugar with some dark fruit sweetness also appear in a lesser degree. Just amazingly layered and complex.

Taste-Bourbon and astrigent burnt sugar are the first things I detect on my tounge. Next there was a subtle, smooth transition to chocolate and molasses. Strong dark fruits also make an appearance. Finish is smokey with strong bitter chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel-Incredibly smooth and velvety. Almost no carbonation. Full bodied and then some. Leaves a nice smooth feeling in the mouth after each sip.

Drinkability-Well the ABV is through the roof and the flavor isn't exactly subtle, but this is a beer I could just sip on all night, without fail. For that reason I think this has great drinkability. Dangerously drinkable.

Overall, just an incredible beer in all reasons. I had this bottle without aging, I saved another for in a couple years. The flavors manage to be strong, forceful, and great on their own, but meld together to be better than the sum of their parts. Almost flawless. Layered and complex. A true masterpiece. Higher than highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

I was hoping to have a small catch this afternoon at Union Sq's Whole Foods and i came across a single of this bourbon county sitting right beside a 120min ipa (which i also purchased). I thought to myself "I've heard of this on BA" but honestly didn't really have a clue about what this was.

Which is always the best purchase, if you ask me, when you just go straight, blindly at something without really knowing what to expect.

Once out of the paper bag i saw the "Goose Island" lid and thought to myself "Oh, right" (obviously bluffing, i've never tried anything from GI). popped it and poured it straight, sort of hoping to stirr it up a bit and see some carbonation.

This is like pouring tar, I tel you, or melted black chocolate if it sounds any tastier. Viscous to the bone, and the "head" i was aiming for never came. just a very discrete lace.

But i did manage to bring out a dozen smells. where to start? malty like a straight shot of whisky's malty. maybe trekking towards a liqueurish sense, perhaps a chocolatey bailey's, white russian is it? anyway let's not overexplore this. it's very sweet and full of alcohol. I know, it sounds bad, but somehow it's properly mixed to the point where smelling it's just not enough. It practically asks you to taste it.

And once you're in, you get a straight alcohol attack, on the nostrils and on the back of the tongue. By simpler standards i'd say that's disgusting, but my friends no, the trick is to get past this and taste the dark chocolate, coffeish burnt caramel feel on the very smooth oily layered feel on the tongue. Very discrete bitter finish which i thought was very harmonious because they don't tried to get carried away- it's already thick and booze-ish why would they top it off with excess IBUs?

In my opinion, kudos to these fellas, splendid "rogue diamond" sort of beer. Too many things put together in the right order, sort of like NYC.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

Aroma: Rich aroma of bourbon and burnt oak with hints of dark chocolate and vanilla coming through as well. There is a spicy alcohol aroma that nearly burns the nose if you take a good breath in of this beer, which you want to do because the aroma is excellent. A slight roasted character lies in the back but you have to look for it amongst the bourbon and wood.

Appearance: Pours a motor oil black with initially an almond brown head, though the head dissipates very quickly and is all but gone within a minute of pouring. The beer does maintain a very thin ring around the glass. Light lacing will stick to the glass with a swirl.

Flavor: The tongue is hit up front with an oaken bourbon character which is quickly followed by a rich dark chocolate sweetness. Some dark fruit is present as the flavors progress toward the middle, prune and molasses are clear but there is the hint of vanilla as well. Toward the middle further enters a roasted quality, and the bourbon comes back again in full force before an alcohol bite finishes the beer off with a hot spice. The finish closes with some sweetness on the tongue and alcohol spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with medium carbonation. The malt character fills the mouth with a stickiness but this is offset by the dryness and warming character of the 13% alcohol content. Finish is dry at the back of the throat, but the malty body maintains a sticky sweetness on the tongue and lips.

Overall: Of Bourbon Barrel aged beers this certainly sits as one of my favorites. The bourbon character is well pronounced without being overwhelming. Aroma and flavor character runs the gamut from warm alcohol and bourbon spice to malt and chocolate richness. The combination of bourbon character and a rich imperial stout make this an excellent example of bourbon barrel aging.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

2008 Vintage consumed on a cold January night 2010

Pitch black with a thin brown head.

The smell is of burnt sugar, bread pudding, vanill, plums dates, figs, caramel sauce, anise?? and coffee liquor, nothing short of perfection really.

The flavor is just as exquisite. all of the above mentioned flavors are picked out on the tongue, as well as a huge whiskey bite, even after a year!

The co2 is pretty high which is nice for a brew of this size. perfectly full bodied and creamy feel.

I am tempted to take just a half a notch off of this one if only for it's excessive abv. but resisted due to it's exceptional flavor/feel and smell. Possibly one of the best Imp. Stouts brewed(that i've tried anyway), at least after a year of rest. Interested to try fresh as well as 2 years.

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a snifter, 2009 batch 12oz bottle. Apears black in the glass with a small carmel colored head like a stout should. Smell is dominated by chocolate and bourbon. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy like a guiness without all the carbonation. The taste is chocolate,bourbon and coffee. I have to take an issue with the alchol burn though, it is the one thing that takes the drinkability down. The KBS i had earlier didnt have nearly as much of a burn and hid the alchol much bettter. So far this is the second best stout i have had, maybe in 6 months i will have another to see if is a llitle smoother.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Picked up a bomber of the 2009 vintage from Total Beverage on a trip to Colorado. My first experience with the beer and was very curious to try it.

Appearance- The usual motor oil black with about a quarter finger of fizzy, dark brown head on top. Head dies back immediately, leaving just the black body of the beer. Little to no lace but pretty spot on for the style.

Smell- Oh boy, a lot going on here. Rich dark chocolate, bourbon and vanilla really strike me. The wood is very evident and there is also a bit of a tobacco-ish quality that almost reminds me of walking into a cigar store. If the taste comes close to being as complex as this, there is a great beer in store.

Taste- Wow, this one really delivers for me. Huge mixture of rich dark chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, wood, some burnt coffee, roasted malt, and most surprisingly of all, a dark fruitiness. I was not expecting any fruitiness but I couldn't shake it regardless. Delicious and one of my friends compared it to drinking a bar of dark chocolate dissolved in bourbon. Excellent.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is heavy and slick with just enough carbonation to liven it slightly in the mouth. What amazed me most was that I had heard this beer is very hot fresh. From my own experience, I disagree and think it did an excellent job of hiding the ABV. Because of that and the delicious complexity of the flavor, this had quite a high drinkability for the style.

Overall, an absolutely delicious beer. This is what I look for when I think barrel-aged imperial stout. A complex and interesting sipper. Will certainly have again.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.