Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand StoutBourbon County Brand Stout

4.5

Reviews: 2,943 | Ratings: 12,109
4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let this one warm up a bit after pouring it, the flavours really kick your pallets ass. Coffee, chocolate, raisins, cherrys, all missed together give it dark and sweet taste. I expected a lot more booze than this. Did someone forget to add it?

2.16/5  rDev -52%

I don't think I've ever had a beer taste this bad. It was very thick and tasted kind of rotten. Me and several friends tried this and even amongst the 6 of use we couldn't even finish the bottle. I would stay far far away from this one. The color was very dark and it smelled like a stout and sour mixed together.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2016 vintage...not accustomed to a beer with this complex flavor profile....seems boozy at first but give it time...as it warms, can taste more hidden layers

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Jet black. Dark tan head diminishes quickly. Nose is a burst of bourbon, smoky oak, rich roast, caramel and bread. Flavor is an eruption complexity and yet smooth as silk. Bourbon, roast, caramel, fig, smoky oak. Body is full, yet finish is balanced ushered in by a bourbony booze warmth, a lingering oaky roast. No surprise but an amazing brew. Wow!

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2016 bottle

Pours a dark brown/coca cola
Pretty small head with one ring of bubble lacing

Smell is roasty, lots of bourbon, booze burn

Taste is complex. Deep roast, rich chocolatey thats more on the bittersweet side. I'm getting some slight berry tanginess in there too, before that huge boubon barrel taste. The end is a big hint of alcohol. I'm getting a little bit of a Coca Cola flavor too

This was my first time having this. I bought two and am going to save one for next year to experience some mellowing. The beer right now is pretty bold and robust. There's some smoothness for sure but the bitter chocolate and dark berries make it pretty vibrant.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled: September 22nd 2015(not infected)
Opened: December 19th 2016

Look: Pours very dark with almost no head. Head is dark almost caramel color

Smell: Has a nice strong bourbon/woody scent right up front, especially when you slightly aggitate it.

Taste: The bourbon is definitely a dominant flavor. The chocolate notes compliment very nicely.

Feel: Medium to full body. Very smooth and very little carbonation.

Overall: Very impressed, I definitely a fan of this one. I habe heard the '16 os a little sweeter. I picked up a '16 Barleywine that I will let age and now I have to find a '16 Stout. I have a second that I will continue to age of the same batch.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: pours a dark brown, with some light showing on the edges. The head, quite minimal, is a tan/brown

Smell: so much bourbon up front, vanilla, and a woody scent.

Taste: The bourbon is prevalent, there's some vanilla, nice sweet, chocolatey flavors, and the barrel.

Feel: medium to full bodied, carbonation prevalent, and a somewhat dry finish.

Overall: Incredibly good beer, with a great amount of flavor and a nice body. Worth seeking out every year.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:
Coca-cola black. No head.

Aroma:
Bourbon, fudge, vanilla, chocolate chip cookies.

Taste:
Boozy and bourbon, roasted malts, tons of chocolate. Dark chocolate. Very sweet. Bitter coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Low carbonation. Thick slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

Overall:
Absolutely love it. I wish I could have an endless supply of this. I'm a hop head but nothing beats a bourbon aged Stout.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 10/24/14; drank 11/29/14 @ the Yarchives.

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

Midnight black color.

A rough pour yields a dark khaki head; minimal lace.

Marshmallow, vanilla, banana & dark chocolate nose; whoa!

Thick, creamy mouthfeel.

Roasted coffee, milk chocolate, vanilla, coconut & mild booze flavors...holy fuck, this is complex, bold & delicious! Just a TOUCH too boozy currently, but a few months should calm this perfectly. I'm blown away.

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes......2014 bottle 2 yrs old.....deep chocolate smell.......a bit too sweet for my taste.....barrel is there but not overwhelming. ...........very well made beer but not something I want to go back to.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

I found this some of these bottle at a local craft beer bar. I decided to pick one up to see if it was worth all the hype. This is the 10/21/2015 14.3 ABV version. After having many barreled aged stouts, I can see why this is the Platinum standard.

Look - Pitch black. Looks like motor oil. Half finger of mocha head. Goes away quickly.

Smell- Dark rich Plums and Berries, Vanilla, Oak, Smoke and some pine!!!

Taste fallows the nose.- Big dark strong fruits and berries, Vanilla, light smoke.

Feel- Thick sticky mouth feel, Very warming.But very very drinkable. Would love as a night cap.

Overall- I have never had a other version prior to this. But this beer has probably ruined any other barrel aged stout for me. The flavors are so complex. I came in to this very unbiassed. I kinda figured with so many other bourbon barrel aged stouts, that would average. But damn, I was wrong.

I am aware of the 2015 batch infection. Don't know if since this bottle was kept cold in a fridge helped. But I am glad my first taste of this brew passed my expectations!!!!!

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I personally love stouts, the thick and smooth textures, rich flavors, and thick body. This brew has all that and more, this is currently the top stouts I've tried. Has the sweet bourbon flavor you would expect from a barrel aged brew which also gives the little tingling sensation on the tip of your tongue. Was contemplating sharing this beer, though honestly I'm glad that I kept it for myself during some alone time. When I poured this in to my glass a was so pleased to see such a deep dark color that not even holding it up to a light could pierce.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review was done while drinking the 2016 vintage. Recently had 2012 and 2013, which would rate similarly (2012 was a little more bourbon heavy). Haven't had them recently, but 2014 would be a little higher (more chocolate/fudge base) while 2015 would be a little lower (less balanced, basically caramel and bourbon, not obviously infected).

L- Basically black, slightly brownish tinge. Slight mocha colored head, but it fades to a thin ring that eventually disappears.

S- Bourbon is the most prominent. Some vanilla and chocolate.

T- Like the smell, quite a bit of bourbon in the flavor. It's supplemented by milk chocolate, caramel and a little vanilla. A little sweet, especially when it warms, but not enough to ding it.

F- Medium-low carb, which works for this beer. Smooth, rich but not super thick. Some alcohol burn on the finish.

O- An old standby, especially in Chicago. Very tasty, especially if you like bourbon. It's probably not worth the lines, but it's better than a lot of barrel-aged stouts that cost more (BCBS is fairly easy to get at $9.99 for 16.9 oz).

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark black with some purple hue, about 1" toffee colored foam with solid lacing. This is a November 2015 bottle so not part of recall. Smells fantastic, chocolate, molasses, coffee, spice. Love the taste, I get a very beautiful mix of wine flavors, chocolate, coffee, mild spice, little char, and good alcohol bite. The finish is earthy with mild alcohol. Overall this was a real gem to drink, the complex flavors were awesome, really liked the bourbon notes mixed with other flavors to give this just an awesome profile. Now I just wish I had 12 more to age. Top notch beer for sure.

3.98/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's obviously a high quality beer, but it has a bit too much spice and flavor that I don't associate with a stout. It reminds me of the Hunahpu stout down in Tampa, FL by Cigar City. Those spices are for a winter ale, not a stout.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Holy strong Bourbon! My first foray into the BCBS from Goose Island. As I said, very strong but very drinkable as well. It hits you but you want to keep drinking!

4.26/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle dated 29 August 2014 served in a Belgian snifter in December 2016.

Removing the cap indicated a secure seal, but this has very little carbonation. This is not ideal for the appearance, but the low carbonation seems about right for the smooth, full, warming, high ABV body. Boozy and woody (too woody) aroma with dark roasted grains and molasses. Sweet bourbon dominates the rich flavor that also suggests dark dried fruits including dates. Moderately woody with faint vanilla and coffee in the finish. Mild bourbon barrels and dark bread in the aftertaste.

4.23/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had the 2016 version. This could definitely use some age behind it. Initially, the taste is so sweet it's off putting then the sweet winds down and the flavors come through. Maybe with age that sweetness will mellow.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

First had 10/20/14 at The Mint. It was a 2013 Vintage. The flavors come out as it warms in the glass. This love affair has been had many times, and as with this style, the longer they sit in a basement, the better they get. I'm tiring of all the "releases", and tap takeovers at pubs, I try and hunt this down in case form.

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%

2013 version, on tap.

Appearance: Near black, can't see through it when held up to the light. Hints of brown and red as well? Despite an aggressive pour it produces almost no head, which quickly recedes to some slow-moving lace on the side.

Smell: I can definitely smell the alcohol, which is fine; I like bourbon, why do you think I'm drinking a bourbon-aged stout? Dark fruits, cherry, fig. Roast, malt, char. Soy sauce? Something savory.

Taste: Cocoa, but also vanilla. Wood/oak...can that be a taste instead of an aroma? Not that I'm prone to munching on wood or anything. More dark fruits. Bourbon. People often praise big, high ABV stouts for hiding the alcohol. This...doesn't, but it's not bad. It's got the bourbon sweetness. The taste gets better across the middle of the tongue and it leaves a strong aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not very carbonated, and I like carbonated. It's the reason I don't like nitro beers. I have to swish it around a bit to feel the bubbles, but they're there. Thick, but not heavy; very pleasant body.

Overall: Does it live up to the hype? Probably. I had this once before when I was drunk and thought it might be one of my favorite beers ever. I hate feeding into the hype, but it's probably deserved.

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%

I'm enjoying this much more than 2015 or 2014. Actually, I recently opened a cellared 2014 and this is drinking like that - wicked smooth and tasty! My past experiences with fresh BCBS is that it's too 'hot' and bourbon-y for me but that age tempers it nicely. This one is already there. Not sure what, if any, role pasteurization plays in that.

4.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 vintage. Drank from the tap out of a tulip glass. Beer pours pitch black with no head. Aggressive swirling produces a small dark brown head. Aroma smacks of bourbon. Super fudgy with big dried cherry and fig aromas jumping out of the glass. Aroma translates to the palate but with a boozy bourbon punch on the finish. Mouthfeel is very thick and fudgy like drinking slightly watered down chocolate syrup. This beer is the benchmark for barrel aged stouts and I can see why. But benchmark doesn't always mean best and I think that the boozyness holds it back a bit. 93.5 points.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle (06OCT16) into snifter left a khaki colored head
- Smells of Charred Oak, Smoky, Vanilla and bourbon
- Tastes very similar to the smell with heavy notes of bourbon and smoke
- Mouth feel is silky smooth and very boozy finish
- Overall, BCS was one of the best beers I have enjoyed in a long time! Being it was the first time I have tried BCS it was well worth the wait (and getting up early on Black Friday)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2015 dated 11 Nov. poured into a snifter at about 55 degrees.

Hard por left about a finger of dark khaki head that dissipated quickly.

I was worried that this was infected due to the issues from BCBS 2015 and the nose off the bottle was a little sour smelling. however when after pour with some air was getting Vanillia, charred oak, Bourbon was very pronounced.

Was definatly not infected, An almost perfect blend of vanilla. charred oak, toasted coconut, dark chocolate. Bourbon was there but more in the background complimenting the other flavors. Its crazy how a year or 2 turns this beer into almost perfection.

there are beers that do not live up to the hype machine. if you can score this without a hunt and at a decent price point, it will not dissipoint.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Had this beer on-tap at Closed for Business, poured into a snifter. Had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a small amount of foamy, tan-colored head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: A big, bold aroma of bourbon, a woody quality, vanilla, and some chocolate.

T: Like the smell, the, the taste is a powerful thing: Lots of chocolate, some malt, a big shot of bourbon, the aforementioned bourbon quality, caramel, vanilla, a light smokiness, and some dark fruit. This is a flavor that takes charge. It's complex, aggressive, and tasty.

F: A decent amount of carbonation with a silky smooth, if somewhat boozy finish. Full-bodied.

O: Bourbon County is one of those storied beers that doesn't disappoint. It's well made, drinkable, and easy to like - assuming you enjoy stouts.

Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.