Bourbon County Templeton Rye | Goose Island Beer Co.

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by XmnwildX12 on 12-13-2013

Reviews by Rihup:

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Rapidly receding head covering a jet black stout that no light shines through.

S- This is the most interesting smell that I've ever experienced with a beer. This was all richness, dessert, and bourbon. Plenty of vanilla and oak are present.

T- This has me torn between 4.75 and 5. Stout and bourbon intermingle in a heavenly partnership. All of the vanilla and richness make this a legendary stout.

M- Sticky in a very good way, crisp in an impressive way, pleasant booze with none of the heat.

O- I wasn't sure that I was going to try this due to Goose Island being purchased by InBev. I reconciled it by telling myself that I spend the remainder of my beer money on microbrews. I am certainly glad that I broke down and went for it. This was an epic introduction for me to the world of bourbon stouts. I like bourbon , I like stout, and I love this bourbon stout.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap during Black Friday at Clybourn

A- Looks like BCBS always does

S - Smells of soft rye whiskey that I expect from Templeton balanced with chocolate and vanilla. The rye has a strong presence that is stronger than I get in normal BCBS

T - Soft vanilla and caramel up front before the rye spiciness comes thru as well as some slight alcohol burn presence. Dark fudgy chocolate. The rye spiciness lingers on in the finish to give the beer some spice to it.

M - Creamy smooth up front with a light burn and astringency to it in the finish

O - This is like regular BCBS but has more bite and alcohol than regular does. The rye makes itself more than the bourbon does.

3.89/5  rDev -14.1%

16 oz. growler. Black body with no head. Smells of whiskey, brown sugar, and fudgy chocolate. Boozy. Tastes much like regular bourbon county up front. Whiskey and sweet chocolate. Boozy. The rye whiskey makes itself a little more apparent with a slight spice that lingers in the finish. Nutty malts and very sweet. Heavy. No carbonation, because of the source of the growler. Doesn't detract, though. Tingly alcohol. Very similar to regular Bourbon County. Just a bit different.

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bourbon County Templeton Rye from Goose Island Beer Co.