The Muddy Imperial Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

The Muddy Imperial StoutThe Muddy Imperial Stout

Added by bccocx on 07-11-2014

Ratings: 1,146 |  Reviews: 156
Reviews by hmich176:

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - Pours just over a finger of medium brown mocha head, body is slightly "muddy", and has a dark brown color. It appears translucent at first, but doesn't let light through when the glass is full.Lacing is light and webbed inside of my glass.

Smell - Lots of dark fruits, some nice deep roast, a whiff of sweetened coffee, burnt toffee and some molasses.

Taste - Once again I get alot of the dark fruits, a little bit of astringency like slightly sour dark fruit skins, definitely get some night roasted malt and lightly toasted bread crusts, I just faintly get some dark unsweetened coffee near the finish, and I definitely get the black licorice-anise like flavors much longer into the finish, along with a little alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Just about medium mouthfeel, silky smooth but not chewy or mouthcoating in the least. Carb is also nearly medium but is also foamy smooth, with a few slight edges at the back of the tongue.

Overall - It's a decent beer, although this drinks closer to a stout than an imperial. This particular beer is all about the dark fruits, the roastiness, and I definitely pick up the licorice - which may be part of the astringency at the front too. Not bad for the price point @ $8.99/4pk. Not the best by any means, but worth a try.

From a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter.

From an aggressive pour, I'd expect more head, but this is more viscous-looking and oil-like. A finger-thick head does form eventually, dark-khaki in color. Blackness lies beneath in an opaque body with scattered bubbles working northward. 4

Sweetness is prominent on the nose and I'm inclined to say I smell some cherry or other dark fruit. There's a resemblance to a Belgian Dark for sure. 3.8

Belgian flavors are all I can think of with the first few sips. Plums and prunes and dark cherry combine with a floral-like yeast and candy syrup sweetness to create a dessert-like taste. Add to this a bit of dark chocolate as the beer warms and a dry cocoa finish. 4

Sweet, yeast-heavy and spritely with the carbonation, this beer has a colorful feel. It's viscous and medium- to heavy-bodied with a slight syrupy feel. 4

This beer gets better as it warms and the effervescence settles. The flavors become more enjoyable, particularly the dark cherry. I give this a 4.

12oz bottle into pint glass

A- Dark, dark brown. No head
S- Mellow rich roasted malts
T- Sweet. I get the rich, malty sweetness with the black licorice overlay almost right away. Very mellow licorice lingers. Not something I would have thought about putting in a stout, but it works nicely
M- Medium. I like my stouts a bit chewier, but this is easy drinking

O- Actually pretty impresses. I would have liked to see them push it a bit further with the licorice and body, but enjoyed it for what it is.

3.71/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Man I like Big Top sometimes. 4-pack for $2.99 and it's bottling date was 8/14.
Not the greatest aroma - rather faint for style, but the advertised licorice is there albeit faintly. Looks as it should - opaque and an appealing tan rich head.
Taste is rich roast but not over the top. Quick shot of alcohol in the gut, but much more subdued in the taste. Interspersed is some fruit, but it requires some searching. Licorices appears and largely blends in, but it does add nicely.
Carbonation seems little big and heavy for style and the body is on the low side of moderate, but overall it's appealing enough.
This is every bit worth the price I paid and all the more enjoyable for it.

1.46/5  rDev -61%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

This beer resembles the Perfect Storm. Well in the movie sense, it's as if all forces came together at once and created this disaster of a beer. Sure it looked decent, sure the mouth feel was appropriate but the aroma and taste...ughh! the licorice is repulsive to me and without any substantial stout background it dominates. I now have to find some unsuspecting foe to share this brew with as I purchased a four pack. I like licorice but obviously in a beer, I don't.

Bottom Line: Drain Pour!

3.48/5  rDev -7%

From the label: "Bottled on 20AUG14" so it's just over a year old.

Appearance: Pours dark brown into a black body and a medium brown medium sized head. Some spotty lacing. Not a bad head for 9% ABV.

Aroma: I pick up some light cocoa aromas mixed with a bit of coffee. It smells a bit like mocha.

Taste: It has a pretty strong presence of dark chocolate and this roasted charcoal-like flavor.

Mouthfeel: it's not a heavy mouthfeel but it is about medium-full in mouth presence and finishes dry.

Overall: The label says "amplified sweetness with licorice notes" which I don't entirely agree with. This has a good amount of age on it so I'm sure that plays a huge part in how this tastes. I'm not picking up any real sweetness and it doesn't immediately bring my mind to licorice. It tastes good but it's mostly an average or slightly above average stout. It's worth picking up if you can still find it around.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

I'm afraid to say I'm pretty disappointed in this. It is officially the first stout from goose island that I don't like. The added sweetness and licorice actually seem to detract from the complexity of the beer, resulting in an uninteresting one-trick pony.

The body is also surprisingly thin for what I'd hoped it would be.

I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone that isn't a big licorice fan, and even then...

2.96/5  rDev -20.9%

Got this one from Doopie a while back. Cheers man!

From a bottle into a snifter
IBU: 32
“Featuring amplified sweetness with licorice notes.” Brewed with licorice obviously.

APPEARANCE: Very clear brown pour yields a two finger, looser and foamy looking, fizzy, light tan head with lousy retention. Quickly pops and fizzes down to a foam cap and leaves some foamy lacing on the glass. Clear bistre brown body with medium carbonation. Perhaps a little much for the style. This is rather light in color for the style, and the foamy head isn’t much to look at.

SMELL: Lots of licorice and dark fruit on the nose. Some leather and notes of tobacco as well, with prunes, dates and raisins for sure. Licorice, tobacco and fruit. Not your average imperial stout nose. Not sure it’s my thing.

TASTE: Lots of licorice and dark fruit up front. Flavorful for sure. More of the same through the middle into the swallow, with a bunch more licorice and a note of dark chocolate bitterness at the finish as well. Bolder and lingering finish of licorice, tobacco, dark fruits and some slight bitter chocolate notes. This is definitely sweet with plenty of fruit and anise.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes sticky on the palate. No real heat or burn on this one.

OVERALL: This is alright, though not quite my style of imperial stout from the USA. There are a lot of European qualities to this, with the tobacco, dark fruit and licorice aroma and flavor profiles. This is done quite nicely but caught me a little off guard, given its origins. The look leaves quite a bit wanting, but otherwise, this is a quality brew. Cheers man!

3.05/5  rDev -18.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter.

Appearance: Pours black with a thin brown head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, hints of coffee, licorice. Something seems a little bit off - the licorice clashes a bit with the roasted malt backbone.

Taste: Licorice is even more aggressive here and really takes the forefront, with chocolate and roasted barley breaking in later. Again, I feel like the licorice is taking away from the rest of the beer. Finish is pretty sweet. Not much alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel: Full body is accentuated by the sticky sweetness. Pretty heavy on the palate. Medium carbonation.

Overall: I'm just not feeling the licorice in this one. I don't have an issue with licorice as a whole, and there are a number of stouts with licorice that I thoroughly enjoy. This, however, is not one of them.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Intensely chocolaty, with coffee notes, roasty and a wee bit smokey. I get some of the licorice, but it's not distinct. I likely wouldn't have identified licorice or anise unless I knew it was in the brew already. A little too sweet and too roasty for my tastes, even as an imperial stout, but the roast carries the sweetness well.

All in all, a decent imperial stout, but not one I'd be apt to remember or reach for in the future. Maybe worth a second try.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.74/5  rDev 0%

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Dark like an Imperial Stout should be

S: Very sweet but nothing else going on. It reminds me of the smell of a brown lager, not an Imperial Stout

T: Sweet and dry with not much maltiness going on. The aftertaste is horrible, I don't know if its the licorice or what but it is pretty bad. I do not taste any licorice in this beer

M: Thin! This does not have a good mouthfeel at all for this style

Overall: I am glad I only bought a bottle of this and not a 4 pack. I had low expectations going into it and was still underwhelmed. Your money is better spent on a real Imperial Stout if you ask me

3.71/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 9/5/14. Bottle also says the beer will stay 'brewery fresh' for 180 days... it's been 341 days, oh my! Pours dark "muddy" brown with a medium-sized foamy head. Smells of dark fruit, coffee, and some roasted malts. The taste follows closely but has some licorice notes and mild sweetness. Medium carbonation and low-medium body. Seems more appropriately marketed as an American Stout. Overall, it's a unique beer and worth a try if you like licorice, but it's somewhat sweet and needs more roasted malts.

4.52/5  rDev +20.9%

The Muddy Imperial Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 3.74 out of 5 with 1,146 ratings