Imperial IPA

From:
Goose Island Beer Co.

Illinois, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Imperial IPAImperial IPA
Notes: Draft only as of 2008.
Reviews: 331 | Ratings: 525 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by csustar001:

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

has a beautiful reddish copper color, has a nice big white head on it. the smell is just awesome, floral hops, a sweet malt flavor as well, just a perfectly balanced beer, absoultey awesome. taste is just as balanced, even with the higher apv, its barely noticeable since the beer is just so flavorful and full. i really can't hype up this beer enough, a must try for any IPA, DIPA fan. one of the best beers i've ever had.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a clear golden amber with a thin white head. A bit of lacing remains.

Strong aroma of pine hops, a bit of citrus hops and a modest amount of malt.

Taste is dominated by strong piney hops throughout with a nice malt presence to balance out the fnish. Excellent bitterness and a pretty good balance.

Mouthfeel is oily and resinous as the hop presence would lead you to expect.

A one at a sitting DIPA for me. A bit less balanced than I might like though still quite delicious.

HV

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

This was fine. Good, I guess. I think I may be getting worn out on IPAs. Honestly, I was surprised to see this had such a high score on BA. It's good, and went well with the spicy food I was eating, but didn't stand out among the many other double IPAs I've had. Citrus, citrus everywhere - lots of grapefruit, dry orange and lemon in both the aroma and flavour. Balance is, obviously, way on the hops side, although it's not as one dimensional as some others I've had. I know this is a wandering sort of review, but I find reviewing American IPAs challenging. I like them, but perhaps I need to develop my palate more so I can tell them apart!

3.79/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a nice 1/4 inch head that fell leaving a good lacing behind and after a small while dissapates into a thin layer over the top of the beer. The color is light brown to tan. The smell is very hoppy indeed, even for a 2006 vintage. The smell of hops is big and fruity. I love the smell, very hoppy. The taste is a bit sweet at first, but then turns into fruity hops. Still pretty fruity/sweet, reminds me a little of alpha king with the fruity flavors reminding me of fruity pebbles. The mouthfeel is a bit over carbonated. I don't know if it's the carbonation or the hops, but there's a bit of a bite to it as well. Overall drinkability was OK. I would have another next year fresh to see the difference.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to trep for the hookup on this one...2005 brew.

A cloudy, golden orange ale with a medium amount of cream head comes from the two year old bottle. Quite a beautifully fragrant DIPA, with carmelized hops, big pine notes, fresh grass, and wood.

Lotta citrus in the taste: orange peel & grapefruit plus hops, clove, and barley. Mouthfeel is spritzy and spiced, with a light flirty body and a decently bitter aftertaste. I really liked this beer and will definately pursue finding another, especially one that isn't aged for comparison. Awesome job, Goose Island.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Appearence - Pour's a golden amber with a 2 finger head.

Smell - Wow, nice strong hop smell, also quite fruity, hints of orange and grapes are present. Really great smell.

Taste - Pretty darn good, starts out with a hoppy citrus taste that makes way for a powerful hop bitterness that sticks with ya.

Mouthfeel - Pretty smooth, really really bitter, a bit more then I really like, but the smell and taste compensate for that in the overall of the beer.

Drinkability - I dunno if i'd drink more then a few in a sitting, but this really hits the spot with the hamburger I am having with it.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Into a pint glass, pours a nice orange copper, a small white head thats short-lived, amoeba lacing is decent. Not the most brilliant looking beer, but inviting for sure. The aroma is quite nice, whole bunches of fruits in citrus, orange, grapefruit, mango, lots of floral hints and a nice malt background. Quite nice.

The malts play a much more prominent role in the taste, and even though the aroma is plenty full, the taste is even bigger. And even better, it plays nicely as a hop bomb, but its really more of a finely balanced beast. The malts are plenty, pale and caramel as it feels. But it really is a hoppy show, Tettnang, Simcoe, and Cascade all pitching in some fun. The mouth is great, an excellent experience overall.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Vintage 2006...past the best by date, but still delicious.

Pours a nice amber color with a 1 finger white head that leaves some lacing.

Smells of sweet caramel and dates, followed by a nice juicy hoppiness.

Taste follows suit. Lots of sweet, caramel malt in here, immediately brushed aside by some assertive, juicy, half citrusy-half piny hops. A nice true bitterness is quite present. Excellent bite on the end!

Mouthfeel is very nice on this one, both very rich and satisfying, but leaving you refreshed and wanting more. And drinkability - yes, I'll have some more.

Highly recommended. This has approached the barleywine area in some respects, and I enjoy that. Try some if you can (thanks to Stan at Lone Hill for stocking this for us CA BAs).

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

I got a bottle of this from El Blitheringidioso. Gracias Ev!

This beer pours a very clear pale amber with a beautiful field of bubbles rising up to sustain the dirty white, uneven head that left behind some very dense lacing.

The smell made me shiver, so it gets a 5. Smells of green, fruity and smoky hops that reek of oranges paired with a smooth brown sugar malt.

The flavor starts with an electric bitter resonance that suggests lime rind but then picks up some nectarine and watermelon and a smooth pasty bread/biscuit dough. The hops then reestablish control of this beer and let loose a fiery barrage of dry fruity and oaky hops in the finish, leaving my mouth a bit tuckered out from the assault. Whew! Just makes me want another sip!

The mouth feel is very smooth and light to medium bodied with a very easy carbonation that accompanies the dryness well.

I really appreciate the assertiveness of the hop presence. So many 2IPAs try to sneak by with a weak hop character with more of a focus on the malt, but this one really delivers the hops!

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Are we in Dogfishead 90 minute IPA territory here? I think so....I am very happy with this IPA, ehm, Imperial IPA

Rusty red and clear with the right on lacy thick head that hangs on all the way through.

Smell is sweet first and then hops...like its supposed to smell.

Taste is first a bit of fizz...good too on an IPA, after all this really is a summer time brew...then a bit of citrus, a bit of malt and a bit of hops. Clean all the way through with a bitterness that cuts through it all. Great taste. No way do I get a sense of 9% alcohol here. This is serious danger territory, light body, light refreshing taste and heavy alcohol...WOW, come game day I could be sleeping by the 4th quarter.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and smooth...light and dry. Just like an IPA should be.

Drinkablility...say no more.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Served at 37 degrees in a Sam Adams "ultimate" beer glass.

The beer poured hazy copper with a generous off white three-finger head. I may have been a bit aggressive on the pour as the beer lacked carbonation.

Sweet hop nectar was the overwhelming aroma. The first sip was sweet and smoooth. I was surprised by the lack of bitterness but I'm finding this is often the case with premium DIPA's (Burton Baton being similar). The mouth feel was creamy and the drinkability was dangerously good for a beer of this strength.

Imperial IPA from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 94 out of 100 with 525 ratings