Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Imperial IPA | Goose Island Beer Co.

Imperial IPAImperial IPA

Draft only as of 2008.

Added by cretemixer on 11-24-2003

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

really, i forget where this came from. half time maybe. i dunno.

first thing i notice about the pour is the bright glow given off by the neon-orange beer in my glass. that, plus the mild chill haze factor reflects and intensifies the rooms light. eventually, it settles down to a mild yet shiny ipa which leaves dominant, thin lace sheets behind.

fresh planty-sweet hop aroma with faux-orange notes and a nicely balanced butter hint. fruity with a ripe tartness to the smell. enticing yet mild for a double. reminds me alot of the super-hopped pale ales like hazed and infused and phin & matts in the nose.

chewy and bitter mixes nicely with a perfectly-carbonated velvet texture to define this big beer bodywise. the fresh hop oils dominate the taste on the low ends of a bell curve.. in the middle, at the high point, a bitterness like eating green leaves cuts you quickly and thoroughly like a samurai sword. perfumey, acidic fruit mixed with an alcohol heat don't necessarily work well.. but warmth and repeated sips seem to quell this. there are still a few off flavors here that seem to eminate from the hops.. something dirty and tree-barky comes along with warmth as well, and is slightly mysterious and off.

ive had this on tap 3/4 times and it was far superior to the bottle. still good, but nothing in comparison to the draft brother.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle courtesy of battlekow, Man of Superior User Names. Thanks buddy. Wish we could get more of the Special Edition Goose Island stuff over here in Madison.

Pours a slightly hazed golden yellow with a finger of creamy white bubbles and beautiful lacing. Nose is ripe with in-your-face pine resin hops, bitter grapefruit, and balancing sweet caramel malts. Taste starts off with those aggressive hops, piney, but predominantly citrusy - bringing in a lighter, candi-sugar sweetness to the more burly caramel malts. Mouthfeel is oily smooth and lightly carbonated. This is an amazing IIPA. A more refined version of DFH 90 Minute. Both have 9% ABV, but this is more drinkable by leaps and bounds. I really, really, really wish I could find this stuff up here in Madison.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into my Duvel chalice:

Hazy orangey-amber body topped by white fluffy head. Pungent aroma of pine sap, grapefruit rind, apricot preserves, and tangy, spicy high-alpha hops. Pervasive bitterness from start to finish. A veritable hop attack deluges the senses with each sip. An ambrosiac cocktail of citrus dancing with Pacific Northwest pine trees. Lingering spritz of carbonation on the palate. Wonderfully bitter and resiny double IPA.

Cheers to mlh1227 for sharing a hoppy nectar from the Midwest!

Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle with a black text dominated white label.
Vehicle: My favorite snifter.

The View: 5.0! I don't even want to pick up my glass to drink this it's just too damn beautiful. On the pour my bowl filled with a glorious thick orange nectar. Resting on top was a thin fluffy-white pillow of pure white foam. As the soft foam dissipated I became aware of the jet stream of carbonation shooting up in a single column from the from the bottom center of my glass. I've been watching it for like 15 minutes now and it's showing no signs of fatigue. A bubbling fluffy white mound about the diameter of a quarter formed at the top of this volcanic rising of carbon dioxide gas and with a subtle rippling motion reinstated the creamy dream-like coating of head across the entire surface of the liquid.

The Scent: American hop essentials greet the nose with an amazing creamy quality. I smell a lot of Cascade but it's not confrontational. This beer doesn't threaten to rip your taste buds to shreds, it instead invites you to come in an experience the beauty and natural simplicity of unchecked wholehearted hops.

The Flavor: I hate to disturb the eye candy but I can't wait any longer. Here we go. Guess what? It tastes as good as it looks and smells. There is a deep earthy spiciness expertly balanced by a sticky powdered sweetness. Alcohol is pronounced in the finish.

The Feel: Again the word creamy is the first descriptor that comes to mind. Mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. The weighty fullness is an excellent accompaniment to high-alpha bitterness.

The Ability to Consume: Let's just say I wish I had a few cases of this and not just this one lonely bottle.

Well folks, I'm gonna do it. I'm giving this beer fives across the board. Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! My only perfect score. A fantastic beer. Who knew? Thank you Goose Island (and hero27 for sharing;).

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance - a hazy tangerine color with a dense, foamy cap and bubbled lacing.

Aroma - intense grapefruit aroma, Oceanspray pink, sweet and juicy.

Taste - brief sweetness, the ensuing wave of hop bitterness will erase all that in a rush of pine and grapefruit rind. The elevated abv intensifies the whole affair. More enjoyable after recovering from palate-shock, some malt coming through and some residual sweetness in the aftertaste. Finishes bitter but slightly oily/wet. get your hop on!

Mouthfeel - very smooth and evenly carbonated. Full-feeling, a big beer effort.

Drinkability - perfect example of the style, this should fulfill the expectation of aspiring hopheads.

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

$20 a 4-pack at the local package goods store, but I'm happy to support the hometown brewery.

Appearance: medium- to dark-orange body with head the color of cre\me brule/e. head dissipated rapidly but left lace that seriously sticks to the side of my duvel glass.

Smell: Fruity, with hints of apple and caramel.

Taste: Exceptionally bitter, a bit more so than 90 Minute IPA. Maltiness is huge, too, almost reminiscent of a saison. Finishes cleanly with just a hint of its high abv. Perhaps needless to say, GI Imperial IPA is majorly complex.

Mouthfeel: Malt character lends the beer a distinctive chewy mouthfeel. Carbonation could be higher considering the bottle-conditioning, but then again this beer is not meant to be especially refreshing. It is, on the contrary, an intricate brew meant for slow sipping, and the lower carbonation forces you to deal with the beer's delicate hop/malt balance.

Drinkability: High. This is a well-crafted beer that rewards contemplation.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Big thanks to Mikeys01 for giving me a bottle of this!
Fiery, hazed orange, capped with a thick dollop of cream head. Spotty lace, with excellent head retention. Pungently hoppy aroma, a good amount of pale malt sweetness lending an almost candy-like effect. Fruity and floral in it's hoppiness, very bright and vivacious. Fruity banana-like esters, a whiff of sweet higher alcohols. Powerful flavor, immediately sweet, almost sugary, leading into a very fruity, banana and dried apple middle. Big floral hopping, tons of complex hop flavor with a fairly balanced bitterness into the finish. Not quite the thump of bitterness in the end that I expect of an imperial IPA. Floral, fruity hops mostly pack in lots of flavor, contributing a rather meek bitterness considering the sheer amount of flavor this brew has. Big, kinda syrupy body, with a lighter carbonation sparkle. Feels slick and oily. Sweet, sugary pale malt maintains presence, ending off with a very fruity, slightly alcoholic finish. Lingering sweetness.
Nice stuff, I like how bold and deep the hop flavor is, but I could stand for some more actual bitterness. The malt starts hugely sweet, and never really gets properly tamed. A good choice for a late night sipper, nevertheless.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz. bottle compliments of kmpitz2. Bottled 11/03/05.

Pours a slightly hazy orange amber with a thing fluffy head that maintains. Thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet and oh so hoppy. Citrusy with a very peachy scent with just a slight spiciness, just a great blend of hops.

Tastes just like it smells. Sweet and a mild malt taste upfront and then whoosh - hop city. Citrus and peach flavors and a sneaky spiciness that washes in with a big hop bitterness. The malt still overcomes the bitterness at the end and it finishes slightly sweet with that amazing hop flavor lingeirng.

Big thick body with plenty of carbonation. Leaves a resinous feeling on my tongue.

This is a downright delicious double IPA. My first Goose Island beer has made me an instant fan. My day is complete.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Appears copper orange with a bright white head leaves thick chunks of lacing around my Stone IPA chalice, nice look it. Aroma contains big layers of citrusy and pine scented hops along with lucious bready malt tones finishes with a cinge of alcohol. Flavor is up front bitter with loads of hops bringing citrus, pine, and some earthiness to the equation wrapped with semi sweet biscuit malts and alcohol tinged finish @ 9% abv. Mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied oily resinous textured even smooth carbonation flows very nicely. Drinkability for this hop head what a delight gret double IPA in todays beer world of extreme pushing the envelope on each style this one finds itself as a staple of what Imperial IPAs can and should be like unique and tasty.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a hazy golden coloration. The head was tall and fluffy off white colored. The beer left mad amounts of lacing on the glass.

Smell: The beer is a sea of hoppy goodness combining with oceans of malt. The beer has a very pleasing spicy herbal floral hoppyness. Citrus combines with the hops and malty sweetness.

Taste: Delivers on the smell. The beer has a kick ass bitterness. As the waves of bitterness begin to falter the sweet citrusy malts charge.

Mouthfeel: The beer is meduim bodied. The alcohol is nowhere in the taste or smell.

Drinkability: This beer was a joy to drink. I had to smack myself down to prevent the beer chugging. If you like a hoppy treat this one is for you. I am going to pour another.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a clear lighter amber color with a smaller white head that falls to a ring and leaves some lace behind.

Aroma is nice, sweet and fruity with some caramel malt. Loads of fruitiness though big on citrus apricot, tangerine, and orange mixed with some floral hints also and some good old fashion piney ones too. This one is loads of hops from the whole spectum it smells like, ahh heavenly.

Taste is like the smell nice sweet and fruity mixed with some caramel very nice hoppy floral flavors mix with the malt moving to sweet fruitiness tangerine mostly but other citrus as well but sweet almost but it soon turns to bitter grapefruit flavors that linger into pine sap. Very nice IIPA wish I had more one not enough to sort this baby out its wonderful.

Mouthfeel is a big medium almost chewy which is good considering hops flavors dominate the light malt flavors.

Drinkability is great very enjoyable very drinkable no hint of the 9% many thanks to merlin48 for this baby.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Pristine, glowing, rustic orange with butterscotch edges. The cap is thickly creamy and is an especially appealing shade of buttery pale yellow-pastel tangerine. A rounded, melty mesa of cream occupies the center of the glass and a fair amount of lace occupies the glass itself. It isn't the hop oily glass-coater that I was hoping for, but I'm still confident that it'll be nicely hoppy.

The aroma is outstanding. Bittersweet orange is uppermost, white grapefruit isn't far behind and fresh evergreen brings up the rear. I love the hop bill (Tettnang, Simcoe, Cascade). The Simcoe give it that extra something that makes it stand out from the DIPA pack. Thankfully, very little caramel maltiness is evident.

The flavor follows the nose directly. There's a huge malt load that tastes almost exclusively pale malty. As a result, the flavors that it contributes don't get in the way of the hop love. It's also fairly sweet and is, therefore, nowhere near a tongue shredder. Candied orange peel is still king, candied grapefruit still plays second fiddle, and sticky pine sap is still trailing in their wake. As I said, just like the nose.

Goose Island Imperial IPA is neither the balanced, caramel malty, quasi-barleywine style of DIPA (which I don't like as well), nor is it the supersonic, incandescently hoppy style of DIPA (which I prefer), but is somewhere in the middle. I still love it, though I wish that the malt:hop balance was tweaked just a shade more in favor of the good guys.

Asking for an ABV of 9.0% to be completely buried borders on the unreasonable, but I see some room for improvement in that department. I can appreciate a (minor) hotness that could stand to be toned down a tad. The mouthfeel is top-notch. It's medium-full, supremely smooth and heavily silky.

Imperial IPA is my favorite Goose Island beer to date; no surprise given that American Double IPA is my favorite style. Actually, now that I think about it, their standard IPA is just as good. I can think of ways in which it could be improved (more hops!), but it's still an outstanding beer that confirms Goose Island's place among the best breweries in the Midwest.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Beautiful beer. It poured a mildly hazy copper color, topped by a thick, long lasting off-white head. This is a real citrus bomb. Loads of grapefruit rind, fresh mown grass and mild caramel sweetness on the finish. The flavor is surprisingly mild. Grapefruit and orange up front, fruit character seems to be accented by the yeast that is used. Nice sweetness to balance the bitterness of the beer. Mandarin orange, caramel, toffee all blending beautifully with the hops. Slick mouth feel with just a touch of alcohol heat. Surprisingly drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a bright, hazy, orangey amber color with a one finger head that settles slowly to a soapy head that leaves behind sheets of lacing.

Smell; wow, this has a very floral piney smell, with lots of citric aromas. Grapefruit and oranges stand out along with some malts, as well as bit of a spicy background. This beer smells great.

Taste; the grapefuit and oranges show up first trailed by a bitter pine flavor. The bitterness is nice, and is perfect for this beer. The finish has a good spiciness, and is full of sweet malts. Mouthfeel is medium to slightly full bodied, and way to easy to drink. Another great "reserve" beer from Goose Island.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Lightly hazy, coppery amber in hue with a peachy infusion; I love the brightness of the liquid. It is sunshine in a glass. The foam was slightly off-ivory in color, the sticky foam created two fingers worth of head. Head retention was excellent; it slowly faded to a sticky cap and then slim a collar. The subsequent lacing was spotty but very widespread; while not quite tattered wallpaper the quantity of the lacing is impressive. What a splendid looking beer!

The bouquet is classic. A modern classic if you will. This is a textbook DIPA. I love it! High potency, even if this beer screamed at me it would not be enough. I smell concentrated resinous hops, pine sap, wild flowers, grapefruit flesh, citrus flesh, some orange rinds, and even a spicy undercurrent. At the backend is a great blast of dank marijuana. The malt is noticeable but secondary with faintly sweet honey notes and caramel candy. I only get suggestions of alcohol. The bouquet is on par with Hercules. I am bitter (no pun) and a bit jagged towards DIPA; there are only so many ways to skin a cat… and yet, this one is unique enough or brewed well-enough to standout in a crowd. To call this inviting is an understatement.

The palate is piney… I think I swallowed some bark or was that a pine needle? It is a bit harsh in spots but I like the pain. The alcohol was hidden in the nose, not so much on the palate; I found the booze hot and sticky in the middle of the flavor profile. The burn lingers awhile. Pleasantly fruity, some berries, something tropical, and even a little melon. Hoppy but well-crafted for the style, it is aggressive but it doesn’t distract from the taste. Citrus flesh notes, grapefruit zest, wildflowers, orange candy, and plenty of dank marijuana. It is a solid dime sack worth. Long aftertaste, it is sticky and sweet with a bitter underbelly. My god does this beer deserve painfully sharp cheese, grilled meat, and/or a refilled glass! This is a very good DIPA.

A tickle fuller then medium, the carbonation is low but natural; the mouthfeel is soothing and relaxing with just enough fizz to scrub the tongue. I am happy the mouthfeel induces me to sip and savor. The abv snuck up and smacked my brain.

Dangerously drinkable; it is a hopheads best friend. I know a beer is tasty and hoppy because I would recommend it to my girlfriend. She will love this beer! And she is the pickiest drinker I know! I’d love to “session” with this beer… it might kill me but I’m game for a little risk. One drawback, the cost; I paid $16 for a four-pack. However, I was able to buy it in Omaha. Score one for a beer poor state. Highly recommended!

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

"Fruit salad.
Yummy, Yummy.
Fruit Salad.
Yummy, Yummy."

I've already been through the Wiggles once with my first daughter. Reckon I could make it through a second time with my new addition if I had several of these on hand.

Sweet smell. Smells like...fruit salad. Orange and grapefruit dominance...then lots of other light fruits...apricots, dried cherries, papaya, white grapes, pineapple, bananas, watermelon (? think that's a first for me in a beer)...then a slight pine and malty undertone.

"You'll smell the hops from about a yard away..."

Nah, wish that was the case but actually, it's pretty weak. Really have to get your nose in there and inhale hard but when you do there's a lot to it.

Taste buds picked up on most of what I got from the aroma. Has a nice, very pleasant grapefruit flavor and lingering bitterness. Well balanced and under control.

This is 9%?!?...holy cow! Very well hidden. Overall, a great beer that I wish I had more access too.

12 oz bottle pours a hazy glowing amber-orange color with a thick creamy off-white head that leaves a nice lace in my glass. Hoppy aroma of grapefruit and pine, resinous sticky pine and grapefruit flavors , has a full thick, sticky and slightly syrupy mouthfeel that finishes with a lingering bitterness, very nice.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured into the glass slightly hazy medium amber golden with a white and frothy head which fell slowly and lasted well to coat the glass.

The aroma was strongly citrusy and malty with a strong caramel malt impression coupled with the grapefruit and orange hop characteristics. The aroma was deeply malty and the alcohol in the aroma added to the complexity of it all.

The flavor was nicely balanced with a strong malt showing which contained a sizeable amount of caramel. The malt and hops were much more balanced than expected and the hops were resinous grapefruit and citrus, but not over the top at all. More muted and well blended with the malt profile.

The finish was dry with a lasting and sizeable bittering of American hops well into the aftertaste and beyond. The body was medium full and nicely creamy. The alcohol only really made it's presence known a slight bit in the aroma and later in the warming that occurred after consumption.

12 ounce bottle, 9% ABV bottled on 11-03-05. Thanks beerinator!

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

It's been a while since I've had this one, but I still remember it pretty clearly. Pours a cloudy light orange color with a small head that falls fast and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is juse pure hops. All US west coast hops, citrus, and citrus. The flavor followed suit. Lots of citrus hops with a faint caramel malt backing. Seems slightly unbalanced, but still ok. The body is on the thick end of moderate and the drinkability is good.

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Yum. An impressive example of an IPA here.

Pours a reddish orange with a thin, slow forming head that slowly bubbles to the surface.

The aroma is a delicious blend of hops and citrusy notes.

The taste lives up to the nose - loads of hops, hints of orange rind and some more mellow citrus as well. Nicely balanced in the mouth as well - it's got body that suits the intensity of the beer.

I don't think that you'd want to drink more than one or two of these in a sitting - especially given the price tag. But enjoying one or two slowly is well worth it.

(I also had this beer on tap at Goose Island while they were serving it, but not with a review in mind. It was equally stellar served from the brewery...)

Highly recommend this to anyone on the quest for the perfect IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Are we in Dogfishead 90 minute IPA territory here? I think so....I am very happy with this IPA, ehm, Imperial IPA

Rusty red and clear with the right on lacy thick head that hangs on all the way through.

Smell is sweet first and then hops...like its supposed to smell.

Taste is first a bit of fizz...good too on an IPA, after all this really is a summer time brew...then a bit of citrus, a bit of malt and a bit of hops. Clean all the way through with a bitterness that cuts through it all. Great taste. No way do I get a sense of 9% alcohol here. This is serious danger territory, light body, light refreshing taste and heavy alcohol...WOW, come game day I could be sleeping by the 4th quarter.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and smooth...light and dry. Just like an IPA should be.

Drinkablility...say no more.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Appearence - Pour's a golden amber with a 2 finger head.

Smell - Wow, nice strong hop smell, also quite fruity, hints of orange and grapes are present. Really great smell.

Taste - Pretty darn good, starts out with a hoppy citrus taste that makes way for a powerful hop bitterness that sticks with ya.

Mouthfeel - Pretty smooth, really really bitter, a bit more then I really like, but the smell and taste compensate for that in the overall of the beer.

Drinkability - I dunno if i'd drink more then a few in a sitting, but this really hits the spot with the hamburger I am having with it.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a brilliantly clear, full copper color that is topped by a frothy, three-finger thick, light tan colored head. The aroma is intensely laden with citrus-like notes of American hops. Sweet citrus including orange, and grapefruit as well as ample notes of lychee, apricot, peach, and intense fruit notes similar to tropical fruits like pineapple and bits of papaya and mango. The aroma is quite a heavenly melange of heady sweet fruit notes, including a ripe fruit sweetness to it. The Simcoe really seems to dominate the aroma on this one, and I really like what it is doing.

The beer has a medium to full body to it as well as a sweetness, which only helps to accentuate the hoppy fruit notes. The flavor has lots of hops coming out all over the place. Predominant is the sweet fruit character which is reminiscent of lychee fruit, peaches, and apricots. Secondarily I get notes of sweet ruby red grapefruit, tangerines and sweet oranges. The malt character is not noticeable in and of itself, but it plays a big role in accentuating the fruit-like hop character.

I must admit, I am a sucker for the upfront, intense, hop derived fruit notes in this beer. They pair perfectly with the malt sweetness and make this quite the decadent after dinner treat. The alcohol is quite well integrated in this beer as well; it is barely perceptible in either the nose or the flavor. What can I say, this had definitely lived up to the long wait for me to procure a couple samples of this brew; I definitely recommend it.

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

It poured mostly clear with a bronzed orange colour. The short, off-white head reduced quickly to a thin lace, leaving behind a bit of foam on the glass. Sugary sweet aroma balanced a lot of hop character - tangerine, pink grapefruit, pine resin and a bit of chalkiness. Bitterness was quite strong and was balanced by plenty of sweetness that ended up being a bit syrupy. Orange and pine fill out the flavour profile and there's a bit of alcohol that shows up towards the end. Lingering bitterness was accompanied by a mellow malt sweetness. Significant alcohol warmth. Medium body with lots of residual sugar, making it a bit sticky. This one sure has a full hop flavour and decent balance, but a less syrupy sweetness would really improve it. Thanks for the pick-up Viggo!

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

I find this style on a whole counter-productive. Way too much hops, and then to be drinkable, perhaps malted down. I find I am ranking regular well-done IPAs significantly higher. This one is no exception, its fresh, its got some grapefruit aroma, it looks nice, and i taste the cascade, bu the additional megadoses of tettnang and simcoe and then lots of malt..well its a one-time effort. In any case, thanks for delivering Viggio.

Imperial IPA from Goose Island Beer Co.