Goose Fest Bier | Goose Island Beer Co.

good
Goose Fest BierGoose Fest Bier

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Formerly Goose Oktoberfest

Märzenbier inspired by the classic Festbier style. Hallertau Tradition hops. Toasted, bready malt. Noble hop character.

Added by Mitchster on 09-06-2001

3.7

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

I am both purging and divesting myself of bottles, but I seem to always find one or two loosey goosies (sorry) in single-o coolers around town. It does not hurt that The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop is such an enabler, either! Why leave with just one or two when you can Mix-a-Six?

From the bottle: "Holiday Release"; "Traditional Marzen"; "Prized Hallertau hops provide earthy bitterness to a malty body with pleasant hints of dried apricot and toffee aroma."; "Serve in a stein".

Another great pseudo-cascade following a mighty pour! It drives #TheOldLady nuts when I do it, but I like the head formation, the release of esters, and the visual aspect of it. I got just over a finger of foamy, tawny head that quickly fell to wisps. I usually do not get hung on clarity one way or the other, but this had NE-plus quality clarity! I could see through the walls into the neighbor's house, I could see into the future, I could see France, I could see your underpants! I am going to describe the magnificent color as somewhere between Deep Amber/Light Copper and Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). I definitely got the toffee and earthy aromas on the nose. I do not like sweet beers, so if they held the mats in check, I am really going to like this beer. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching full with its carbonation. I will buy both dried apricot and certainly toffee as flavors, and there was a very earthy grassy quality also, but I did not perceive any of it as "bitter", or what I think of as bitter. IBU = 17. Come on! I apologize for drinking it from a shaker glass as opposed to a stein (German for "stone"), but I need to see it in order to review it. Man, this was a mellow beer. The tastes just kind of swirled around in my mouth and on my tongue and time passed pleasantly by. Finish was semi-dry, lightly fruity, slightly grassy. Yum.

4.33/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A great Americanized oktoberfest. Awesome balance of malt and lager. Genuinely one of my favorite state side oktober crafts. Toffee is super present, but doesn't offer too much sweetness. Bold in flavor with a nice ABV punch. Delicious.

3.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an amberish "copper" golden red with a finger and half of slightly off white foam.

Strong sweet notes of biscuits, caramel, and toasted grains with a slightly noticeable noble hop earthy and spicy aroma.

Sweet malt bill overpowers the earthy and spicy noble hop bill and provides a rather lackluster flavor experience.

Light-bodied, medium-high carbonation, crisp, sweet and semi-dry finish.

Overall, not a bad example of the Marzen style, but I'd rather pick up a shining example of the style and this is not that.

4.55/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a deep copper color with a beige head that is about two finger widths thick.

The label on the bottle does not lie. There are notes of apricot and toffee in the aroma.

The taste is about what you would expect after smelling this beer. The apricot is fruity and sweet up front, and then the toffee is pretty deep and intense in the middle. The beer finishes with a dry malty flavor.

The mouthfeel is excellent on this beer. It was smooth and a bit creamy.

I like Oktoberfests that are either true to the style or a unique spin on the style that actually works. The latter are few and far between, but Goose Island nailed this one. This is a beer that is interesting and tasty. An Oktoberfest worth going out and getting.

3.72/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2017-08-11 in Columbia, PA from a 12oz bottle

A - Very clear golden-caramel color with a 1-finger light tan head and mild lace.

S - Lightly-toasted nutty-bread with some apple butter sweetness.

T - Much like the aroma with the light bread and nut flavors followed by a slight dash of caramel. It finished with some spice and appropriately bitterness. There's not much malt complexity but the malt flavors is good and it's well balanced to boot.

M - Light-medium body and medium-plus carbonation. Fairly smooth and then mostly dries out.

O - This is an easy to drink and enjoyable brew. Had it side-by-side with the 2017 Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest collaboration, which has a much deeper malt complexity

3.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottled on August 13th 2015.Damn near perfect weather to sit outside and drink O-fest beers.....Pour one and a half bottles into a half liter stein,a rich deep bronze with a large slight off white crown that settles very slowly.Lightly sweet pizza dough and some toasted grain,even a hint of mineral wich is very German-like.Toasted bread with some caramel and anise wich I pick up in some of the better of the style and spicy hops although not big show up in the finish.Much better than I anticipated,I think a great not overly sweet O-fest lager.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle; super solid color, aroma and flavor. Better than many Oktoberfest biers.

2006 Oktoberfest bottle. Best by 122706 on the bottle. Pours into my glass a nice deep dark amber red hue with good clarity and active carbonation. A half inch of white head sticks on top of the brew. Looks nice in the glass. Aromas of sweet caramel and nutty malts. Quite malt forward with a dash of cocoa as well. Herbal hops sitting in the background. A nice clean, inviting aroma.

First sip brings a sweet toasted, caramel maltiness enchanced by a big nuttiness. Hints of cocoa and maybe some raisins as well. Flows down with a hit of herbal hoppiness that's just enough to give it a little something extra on the way down. Just a solid Oktoberfest overall, nice and malty.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Good body with sturdy carbonation. I could see myself enjoying a good deal of this brew. I recall not enjoying this one as much last year, but I find myself really liking the brew in front of me right now. Well worth checking out if you have access to it.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

4.34/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: poured from bottle into pint glass (no stein handy). Beautiful amber color like you'd expect from a marzen.
S and T: delicious beer for this style. Lots of instant and uniform flavor of rich carmel and malt, and the hints of toffee and apricot notes (as suggested on the bottle).
O: this is an Octoberfest I buy every year and can count on for quality and taste (and a good value). I love Octoberfest/marzen style and this one is way better than most American microbrews. So glad I live in Chicago where this seasonal is still offered. I don't frown on GI beers since they've been bought out. They still make some great on-the-shelf offerings -- and have some outstanding offerings you can only drink at their brewery.

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

12 ouncer sampled, a treat to see more Goose Island selections being available in the NYC area. Bottle provides "best when consumed by" dating and also lets the consumer know this should be served in an imperial pint glass, nice stuff going on here. Beer education and information is a good thing! This one pours a healthy dark almond mahogony shade of tastyness. Minor tan head and just the usual sort of lacing. Nose is the expected bready, malty O'fest odor. I found this brew to be very pleasantly malty, smooth and long lasting on the tongue and gums. Notes of vanilla, honey and nutty maltyness.Would make a fine sessioner. Very rich and pleasant brew. I haven't tried anything from Goose Island that was not spot on.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured at deep copper color with a thick white lace that left distinct rings on the glass. Sweet caramel malty smell along with some spices. Flavor is heavy on the sweetness...almost sugary. Tiny amount of bittering to balance. Mouthfeel on the thin side. Drinkability is decent. One that I could drink a few of in one setting, but not my favorite fest beer.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.09/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into dimpled mug.

Appearance: Reddish copper with decent off-white head.

Smell: Cherry, caramel, biscuit and spicy hops.

Taste: Same notes as the aroma (cherry, caramel, biscuit, spicy hops) but way too sweet with the spicy hops just barely making their presence known.

Feel: Decent carbonation and body for the style but the residual sugars just mangle the mouthfeel.

Overall: Way too sweet to be a good example of a Marzen.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Goose Fest Bier from Goose Island Beer Co.