Père Jacques | Goose Island Beer Co.

Père JacquesPère Jacques
3.92/5
Very Good
Père JacquesPère Jacques

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: Dubbel

Warm molasses color, dark fruit aroma, rich caramel flavor, rich soft body.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2004

Ratings: 2,309 |  Reviews: 886
3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Maredsous chalice. Bottled on 3/18/05. The ale appears a hazed amber chestnut color with about two fingers of off white head. Nose and flavor consist of tart green apples, hints of yeast, caramel, toasted bread, mild banana notes, some dark fruits, a touch of alcohol. Medium bodied with ample carbonation for a dubbel. Glad I had the chance to try this one. I can't remember who sent it to me, but thanks!

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Dark brown/copper in color with nearly three fingers of head that camps out for a bit then leaves a sticky layer. Smell is dark grapes, apple peel, grass, dandelion. Taste is cat piss, apple peel, and flowers. Medium bodied with a carbonation sting. This one isn't really worthwhile for me, I like my Belgians a little thicker and bolder. Perhaps dubbels just aren't my thing.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

January 2009 vintage, into a just-purchased pint glass (I'm on vacation--got tired of drinking out of plastic). This has a nice reddish-tinted amber color with a modest but fading head. The aroma consists of light caramel backed with spicy, peppery phenols. Very nice flavor! Lush, complex blend of sweet caramel, lightly butterscotch malt, lots of yeasty spiciness, made surprisingly drinkable for the strength by a starkly acidic tartness, with everything blending together very well.

Fantastic double. I'm glad I grabbed a couple bottles of this, since it's not available back home.

3.84/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought a 4-pack for 10ish bucks in the outskirts of Columbus, OH.

2009 vintage, 8% abv per label.

The appearance meet's guidelines, save clarity.

The aroma invokes dopplebock, and as it warms, a touch of fruit. Spice does not make much of an appearance in the aroma.

Tastes very dry in comparison to it's aroma. Bready, spicy, a touch of chocolate and plum, and a hop bitterness that hangs around just a bit too long.

Very carbonated, and the mouthfeel tends towards medium bodied as a result.

Not my favorite Dubbel style, by a longshot, but good. Goes terribly with anything salty or sweet, have not paired with savory dishes. just snack type foods.

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Paid $2.79 for a single from Ludlow Wines in Clifton...

A hazy brown colored pour with a large frothy head, session-long retention, some lacing. The aroma is doppelbock more than dubbel, a huge sweet malt burst with minimal spice tones thereafter.

The taste is a remarkable contrast from the sweet aroma; very well-balanced in caramel, malts, lemon, cardamom, and other mild tones indescribable. Low carbonation, medium thickness, as is extremely smooth in the mouth; 9.0% abv? wow, can't tell and yes please on another!

Final Thought: Goose Island brews excellent specialty brews; this is no exception!

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

had a 2007 in 2009

a surprisingly complex malt of a beer with a style somewhere between a imperial american brown and a beligan strong. very interest sweet that is masked by the plain nose of breadiness. with agitation comes a candied pineapple and mead aroma. rather sweet but not syrupy. mild dry hoppy. mild earthy malt quality. fantastic for game bird.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

On tap at the Goose Island brewpub in Wrigleyville. It was served cool (temperature wise) and in a chalice.

Appearance- A deep bronze almost amber hue of a body. A slight small sightly head. Its a light tan and yields a bit of lace along the glass. Limited apparent carbonation.

Smell- A nice nose of caramel and brown sugar. There is a bit of yeast smell in the nose. As a whole not overpowering but subtle.

Taste- A blend of slight spice and caramel. The sweetness is that of peach and pear tamed with toffee. A great blend with a good balance of complexity and strength of the flavors.

Mouthfeel- A slight hint of the ABV as more of a warming tone rather then a boozy flavor. The sweetness leads into a medium body. The carbonation tickles the tongue unlocking more flavors.

Drinkability- Wow everything jives together. Its like the first time I had a Dubbel and feel in love with the style. Great mix and great brew.

My 150th Review and its summary gives me my mug.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a hotel rocks glass

Pours a dark ambercopper color, very nice - minimal head, incredibly clear
on-hazy

darker fruit dominates the nose - with a strong malty backnote

Apple cidery flavor, the alcohol is present, the maltiness is lighter than I expected. A sour cherry flavor as well - not unpleasant, but I bit odd

Complex but disorganized, sharper mouthfeel than I expected, the carbonation is a little more than I want, but not bad

I can drink this for a while, the alcohol comes through but is not overpowering, a good beer

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a hazy amber brown with a nice off-white head. Aroma is pleasant with notes of banana, apples, and malt. Flavor is complex and fruity. Medium mouth feel and is well balanced. Once of the nicer dubbels I've tried, and a credit to Goose Island. I'm glad to see recent raters put this one higher as I think it is deserving.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

2007 edition drank on July 5, 2009

Appearance
Dark brown but with an amber glow when held against light; good 1/2" head forms, with a cap residing throughout; floaties visible

Smell
Sounds weird, but it reminds me of a Waldorf salad as I'm getting a lot of green apple, some raisin, and general sweetness. Definitely a tartness detected that's inviting.

Taste & Mouthfeel
Nose follows closely to flavor as the green apple tartness is there, as well as the banana flavor commonly found in Belgian ales; medium body, low-to-moderate carbonation (would like more)

Overall
Goose Island certainly got the Belgian character with the fruity and tart yeast, although they come up a bit short on carbonation, as I expect a much more lively body. I really enjoy the sour/tart flavors that cut through the moderate sweets. One is definitely enjoyable, though I would not want a second in one evening.

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to Martin for holding this for me.
Reviewed with the help of wheatman106 and Speedwayjim, served out of a snifter glass.

Appearance- 1 1/2 fingers of head with fine lacing , dark maple syrup/ caramel. (Side note: I had to let this brew settle for 3 days before cracking it open)

Smell- The alcohol in this brew is apparent but not overwhelming, there are hints of raisins and smells similar to a nice ice wine.

Taste- opens mildly sweet but the maltiness increases and the dark fruits make their presence known from the middle to the end. There is a mild alcohol aftertaste

Mouthfeel- This is very smooth and medium bodied with a mild alcohol finish.

Drinkability- This is a brew which I would definitely have again although it is going to take some practice to pour this brew without getting the sediment in the glass.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

I poured my 2009 Pere Jacques into my beer tasting wine glass. has an ice tea color with a little reddish orange hue. Just a slight tan head. Smells of dried fruit, red grape, slight banana. The flavor is much of the same, add some breadiness and caramel. The mouthfeel is right, not too sticky, not too watery. For a dubbel, this is quite drinkable, although don't go crazy at 9% alcohol.

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle

unsure of the vintage, i want to say 2007 will check and make changes as necessary...

Fumey nose, lots of alcohol present, smells slightly oxidized as well. Cider like in flavor, red and green apple, white grapes, some rum characteristics no alcohol heat in the beers taste however. Mild carbonation, a wimpy body. Overall, very low appeal to me, this one was just way to all over the place, either that or it was over the hill. I'd like to try a vertical.

BTW... this is a dubbel?! WTF!? i need to revisit a fresh offering.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%

2009 vintage, 8% ABV. Pours a dark amber color with practically no head and the thinnest sheet of lacing imaginable. Nice, biscuity, yeasty, aroma with some hints of chocolate, some light grassiness and maybe a hint of ripe fruitiness. Flavor profile is not overly complex, but there a nice mix of dark fruits, a hint of rum and chocolate, booziness, apples and light bitterness on the finish. Sweet at first but turns dry on the swallow. Nothing spectacular, but pretty tasty. Prickly carbonation, but not effervescent, medium body. A decent take on a Dubbel.

3.21/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2009 vintage bottled on May 1st. Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a cervoise. Label lists an abv of 8%.

Appearance: Fizzy tan head, 1 inch deep. Clear orange/red body.

Smell: The aroma is of molasses and some grassiness. Very disappointed by the lack of complexity in the smell.

Taste: The taste makes up for the lackluster smell. The molasses sweetness still dominates. Grassy and herbal. Little bit of raisin. As I pour myself more glasses from the large bottle I experience more dark fruit flavors and bubblegum, as well.

Mouthfeel: Desperately needs more carbonation.

This is a pretty big beer for a dubbel. I think Belgian strong dark ale is a more fitting title.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

A: According to the Goose Island website it is comparable to "warm molasses" and I must say that they were right on. It is impossible to see through said "molasses" and when held to a light it glows orange/brown. Bubbles can be seen rising slowly through the depths with other floating objects (yeast I'm guessing). Very little head upon pouring, and what head does develop, it stays there for ages in the form of a ring around the edges of the glass.

S: Sweetness melding with alcoholic and malt tones and oh let's call it yeast. That's it, pretty simple yet good at what it does, or at least what it is trying to do/be.

T: Bread, light yeast, spices, light malt, light grape. Just like the smell, simple, with the most complex being the spices. Great taste without being overpowering or unbalanced.

M: The taste lingers, and the bubbles nip at the tongue. Medium body, thickness is so-so, and the alcohol isn't overpowering. The tingling stays on the tongue for a while by the way.

D: Pretty good for a Dubbel, I only bought a single bottle because I am picky with my Dubbels and didn't want to waste. But I plan on buying a full sixer of these because I immediately wanted another.

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

I finally decided to crack into this; a bit weary due to many inconsistent reviews, but Goose Island has never let me down. They couldn't possibly start now, could they? Read on...

12 oz. bottle (3/10/08 1948) poured into an oversized wine glass.

I tried to be aggressive on the pour to no avail. Bubbly skin of a head that disipates far too quickly for me-lifeless amber body, chock full of white floaters. Almost looks like rancid apple juice...

Loads of bubblegum whiffs knocked me off my chair. There are some notes of bananas and cloves, but you have to ignore that big wallop of Bazooka Joe to find them...

ohhh...if bubblegum were a trait that I enjoyed dominating my beer, then I would be in heaven. sadly, i don't care for it. Tastes of stale ABC gum and rotting fruit. Hardly any finish whatsoever, it's as if the flavors just stops abrubtly.

somehow, this has a great mouthfeel! Great carbonation...too bad it falls flat everywhere else.

I'm not going to rate the drinkability; i think that can be answered pretty easily if you read the review up until this point.

This is either a bad beer, or it doesn't age well. Like many other beers, I will try this one again, hopefully a fresh one to test my theory. Please forgive me Goose Island, but I know you can do better.

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz. bottle poured into Duvel glass. Bottled on 03/10/08 printed on the back label.

(A)- Pours a murky brown mahogany. No head ever formed. Tiny bit of tan bubbles forming around the surface ring.

(S)- Molasses aroma teamed with a bready/yeast smell with some raisin component. A touch of bananna and a rather funky chocolate milk smell at the end.

(T)- Creamy bread with tons of banannas. Some sweet honey/molasses nuances combined with some strange burnt caramel on the finish.

(M)- Really smooth and creamy. Velvety and light-bodied. Delicate; not in your face. The year+ of age probably/really helped the texture of this. The carbonation has subdued to a really nice level that balances it out to a totally silky beverage.

(D)- The over year of age has made this super silky smooth! The 9%abv is nonexistent and has melded with the brew beautifully, but I am feeling it now that its gone! I think that the actual flavors have become a tad too muted to really keep me interested, but its one of the smoothest beers I have ever experienced! *I want to retry/re-review a fresh one to compare the difference.*

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%

12 oz bottle into a goblet

A - Pours a brown to almond color. Very thick, hazy, must be bottle conditioned. Head formation is extremely vigorous but gone almost immediately.

S - A sugar sweet combination of maple syrup and raisins. A small amount of yeast scents are in the background. Some phenolic notes.

T - Starts off with a very light malt note, mainly raisins. No hop notes in this one, but the bitterness does show mid-stream. Can't miss on the phenolic hits. Finishes with a sugar sweetness of raisins and malt notes. Aftertaste is clinging and sweet as well.

M - Moderate body - there is lots of unfermentable sugars in here, as well as a hotness from the higher abv. Very cloying sweetness - seems high for a dubbel.

D - Moderate to low drinkability. The abv on this beer sneaks up on me big time, hiding behind that sugar sweet base. Not filling at all.

Nice to try, but almost reminds me of a fermented raisin puree.

2.9/5  rDev -26%

2009 Vintage.

A- An absolutely clear orange beer with a thin and splotchy white head. Rather dull looking, but not unappealing.

S- Walnuts, caramel, a bit of plastic, cherries, and a touch of alcohol. Pretty unique smelling for the style.

T- Surprisingly tart with a huge cherry and grape flavor. There is a slight caramel malt backbone to it.

M- The tartness leaves a residual puckering feeling in the mouth. The carbonation level is nice though.

D- Not a very good example for the style and honestly, not all that appealing. I really wish I didn't have a bomber of this.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Very good beer and a bit of surprise to me. It has the flavor and aroma of candied fruits. The beer is a dusky amber with red-gold highlights. A gentle head caps it off. It doesn't quite fulfill my notion of a Dubbel, but it's been awhile since my last. The beer is very sweet with a malt flavor that could almost work in a barleywine. It packs a lot of fruit flavors, including plums, grapes and overripe peaches. It's a very nice Belgian yeast strain for an American brewery with good phenols. The beer is right on the edge of booziness, but the balanced sweetness keeps it from going too far. Before tasting the beer, I was trying to maintain some skepticism in spite of my great enjoyment of the BCS. While Pere Jacques might not be quite as perfectly executed as that fantastic beer, it is still quite good in its own right.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz bottle, 2008 vintage, poured into a wide-mouthed glass.

Pours a rich copper color with visible yeast. Medium white head quickly fades to a thin cap and leaves minimal lacing.

Has an inviting aroma of breaded malts, caramel, apple, plum, and toffee.

Taste starts with caramel malt and nuts and finishes with an appealing mix of toasty grains and complex fruitiness of plum, apple, cherry, and peach.

Mouthfeel is very appetizing - just the right amount of smoothness and carbonation. It feels like it coats the tongue and roof of the mouth. Alcohol is only slightly noticeable, quite an achievement considering its 9% ABV. This makes it a very drinkable Dubbel, but it is a little too sweet to be a session beer.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

I had this one on tap at the Goose Island dock party at the Fullerton Brewery on 5/20/2009.

A= This ale poured a hazed orange/amber color with a 1/4" cream colored head. The head quickly dropped to a skim and left slight lace on my glass.

S= Being a super fresh glass, this ale smelled pretty good. I noted a nice sweet malt base, caramel, toffee, and some fruity esters in there.

T= Started off big, with notes of caramel-y malt sweetness, dark candied fruit, and toffee. The yeast was a nice Belgian strain with some funkiness but nothing over the top. Lots of warming alcohol in the finish.

MF= Heavy side of medium bodied with a slick and velvety feel.

D= Definitely a sipper but a tasty one. much better fresh and on tap than I have experienced in bottles.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Pere Jacques 2009 poured into a Goblet.

A - pours a dark amber color with read hues and an off white, dense head that is about .5 in and dissipates into a film. It seems oily.

S - As i poured it I could smell some sweet alcohol tones and caramel. Upon closer inspection some peach tones and slight initial malt plus some nuts as well. Slight hop character almost none existent.

T - Fruity initial taste, some nuts and malts in the middle and finishes with some more fruits like prunes and peaches. Mild alcohol taste. Limited hop character.

M - Medium bodied, very sweet. Oily.

D - Drinkable for the ABV. Refreshing but a little too sweet for multiples.

4.66/5  rDev +18.9%

Presentation: 12oz screw cap brown bottle with awesome label with a nice history of the beer. Brewed 2006; the bottle says this will keep 5 years.

Appearance: Deep garnet/brown beer with lots of fine/medium sediment in suspension, capped with a dark ivory cap which soon fades to a film and thick ring

Smell: Tons of malt; this is definitely a malt-forward Belgian-style. There are strong rich bready tones, backed up by buttery caramel and slight hints of alcohol. This is beautiful

Taste: There are huge rich dark bread tones here, along with quite mild alcohol, strong hints of rich chocolate, toasty grain with a mild (and pleasant) huskiness, just a ghost of malted milk candy...this has lost absolutely nothing in the 3 years in the bottle

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium; rich and full

Drinkability: High for the abv/style

Conclusion: A home run from Goose Island; in 2007 I bought two bottles from this bottling; I drank one right away; this I've saved until now and it is FANTASTIC for its aging. A bit less fruitiness than you might expect from the style, but the malty/toasted/chocolate qualities are absolutely top-drawer. One of Goose Island's best; this proves the quality of their operation. This went perfectly with dried figs and pumpernickel.

Père Jacques from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 3.92 out of 5 with 2,309 ratings