Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

312 Urban Wheat | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review
312 Urban Wheat312 Urban Wheat

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Crisp, bright flavor shines like city lights on Lake Michigan. Hazy and unfiltered, our award-winning Urban Wheat Ale's flavor flows from start to finish.

Added by DrunkMcDermott on 04-16-2004

Reviews: 890 | Ratings: 4,413

I may be biased being from Chicago, but I love this beer. I think it is the most refreshing beer you can have on a summer day outside. I love the yellow label and logo with the skyline. Even the after taste is pleasant. 312 feels like home when I drink it now that I'm away from my city. Holds a special place in my heart.

one of the best wheat beers I have ever had, tops many with a ultimate smoothness, cool logo glass and the great atmosphere.

very smooth wheat, exceptional color, smooth after taste

the mouthfeel was splendid, crisp and to the point.

had about two of these and moved on but will return.

4.84/5  rDev +41.1%

Let me just say I really appreciate this beer. I am not necessarily a wheat lover, per say, but Goose Island did a great job with this one.
I don't believe that they were attempting to emulate a "hefe" or any other style of wheat beer. This one was created with individuality.
The best part of this beer is the drinkability, hands down. It has a very distinct sweetness, sort of like honey. In addition to its flavor traits, the wheat is bold; this is a great beer for such a low ABV.
Although I respect other peoples' opinions and reviews, I'm surprised this one did not get better ratings.

4.82/5  rDev +40.5%

One of my favorite wheat beers of all time.

A: Nice light straw color, and light head that is decently quick to recede.

S: Very aromatic. Citrus and wheat dominate the nose.

T: Beautiful. Like a wheat beer should taste. Nice citrus overtones, good wheat flavor, and some other spice notes that round it all together.

M: Nice and bubbly. Feels light and dry.

D: So, so easy to drink. I could drink this like soda. Great thirst quencher.

4.8/5  rDev +39.9%

My wife loves this beer, so this review is on her behalf. She prefers to drink it straight from the bottle. It is very refreshing and helps round out a rough day of teaching first graders! She is not a fan of hops, and likes how this beer is very subtle with the hops and other flavors as well. The malt and yeast are not overbearing.

I think her favorite part is that it is very light and refreshing. She is often amazed at how quick and easily a bottle goes down. It is a great summer beer.

I particularly like the value and the fact that she found a beer she can enjoy with me. I am a fan of Goose Island and will do my best to keep this one in stock for her and encourage her to try more with me.

4.79/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Excellent beer. I love wheat beers but hate the full feeling after drinking a heavy wheat beer such as blue moon. 312 Urban Wheat is extremely light and yet still embodies all of the things I love about a wheat beer.

4.64/5  rDev +35.3%

Great wheat ale. This was my first wheat ale and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the beer. I had it on the tap and really enjoyed it. This beer could pair with almost any food and hold up. This is a great beer to start you craft beer journey with! !

4.54/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I like this one because it doesn't have a very strong flavor, very light with a little bit lemony taste. The body is golden light and I think it goes well with any food.

4.53/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: light in color, small head, good lacing
Aroma: hops aroma, spicy notes, floral
Palate: smooth creamy body, good level of carbonation
Flavor: crisp fruity flavor

4.51/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Very good wheat beer. The beer has a lighter color with a strong wheaty taste. Overall, it is crisp and something that full flavored and will pair well with almost anything at any time of the day.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Review from notes 4/17/10

This is the quintessential example of an American Pale Wheat Ale in my opinion. Lovely straw color, mildly hazy, with a well formed and retaining white fluffy head. Bit of twang from the wheat, earthy and citrus hops, all in good balance. Bubbly carbonation, but not bitingly so. Fantastic drinker for everyday consumption.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

A: It has a translucent cloudy appearance that is tinged yellow. Big bubbly head that is typical for the style.

S: Smells citrusy, grassy, and refreshing.

T: Citrus flavors and wheat are about all I can find. Citrus strikes the palate first then flows with wheat throughout. This is super crisp and simple.

M: Very carbonated and prickly. The wheat imparts a grainy feel.

O: A solid pale wheat. Very refreshing and crisp, which is what I look for in this style. This isn't the best beer in the world, but it is great for the style. Not a banana flavored creamy hefe, which is not what it's supposed to be, but seems to be what many expect. Great for a summer day or for alternating between heavier brews any part of the year.

I've had this before AB took over and cannot tell a difference. Still 2nd only to Boulevard Wheat as far as I'm concerned, for a pale wheat.

4.48/5  rDev +30.6%

This beer is highly carbonated, lots of bubbles and a decent amount of head, which likes to stick to the sides after each drink. I like the appearance!

Smells crisp and a little fruity.

Great taste. Very little aftertaste, but the aftertaste that is there is pleasant.

You can feel the carbonation, but it's a very light, drinkable beer. It would make a great session beer outdoors on a summer day. It is as easy to drink and as refreshing as water, but at the same time it's not so light that you forget you're drinking beer.

4.47/5  rDev +30.3%

This is my Second favorite wheat beer, i have lived in Chicago for 3 years and just recently had it. it came in a 312 Pint glass its gold in color with a lemon smell to it, with a cloudy look to it, i like this beer all year round but it is a great summer beer. if you like Wheat beers like Blue Moon or Shock Top i would try it

4.46/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Pale and unfiltered with a soapy head. Lace.

S. Smells of wheat. Slight citric hops in the background.

T. A nice complex beer here featuring malt, wheat and hops. The malt has a slight roasted edge and is pretty light. The wheat adds a bit of graininess and some sweetness. The spicy hops add a hint of lemon and round off this excellent beer.

M. Medium bording on full bodied. Fairly smooth, semi dry finish with a lingering citrus ntoe.

D. This is an solid, flavorful beer with a lot of body given the style. This is the standard by which all american pale wheats should respect.

4.45/5  rDev +29.7%

It pours a slightly hazy straw color with a 2 finger head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is nice, with a slight citrusy lemon and sweet honey hiding behind the minimally harsh wheat and moderately aggressive noble hop. I like it. The flavor is full on the spicey noble hop, followed by a slight lemony burst, finishing true to its roots as an American wheat, with a wheaty graininess. The feel is moderate to thick, with a full carbonation.

This beer is too easy to drink and enjoy with as many friends, beer appreciative or not, or by yourself.

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%

330ml bottle poured into a Troubadour tulip glass

Look: Pours a straw yellow - one finger of white head, little retention and next to no lacing.

Smell: Hops and citrus, primarily orange, backed up by a fairly wheaty/yeasty, almost bread-like, aroma.

Taste: Quite fruity, but not in the Belgian witbier sense. Quite difficult to describe. Quite yeasty, too. Surprisingly good with a surprisingly amount of depth to it.

Feel: This doesn't drink like a typical witbier/weissbier, no sirree. Has quite a 'thick' yeasty feel which I've not (knowingly) encountered in the German and Belgian beers that I normally prefer. Whatever, it works beautifully.

Overall: Goose Island has been a bit hit and miss for me, but this is an absolute bullseye. Don't try and compare it to a Belgian or German wheat beer because this is a totally different animal - an American spin on weissbier? Who cares - it's pretty damned good and I could quite imagine myself revisiting this again. And again. Two thumbs up.

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%

It has all the common characteristics of a wheat beer with a great flavor - I like it with a lemon - lighter than some wheat beers.

Pours a hazy straw yellow color with a bubbly white head, smooth and creamy on the palate, medium body and carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +28.3%

312 is one of my favorite session beers. It hits all the marks you're looking for in an American wheat beer. Mellow, easy drinking, flavorful but not overbearing. I love this stuff. I find it's better on tap and I have had batches that taste very different but never bad. Good stuff, I'd be happy to drink this all the time.

4.38/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured a bottle into a weizen glass.

Apearance- Clear, pale yellow with a 1/2 fingers worth of head and thin lacing.

Smell- A light aroma of grain.

Taste- Mild wheat taste. A little on the sweet side with a touch of lemon.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied. Well carbonated. Very drinkable and thirst quenching.

Overall- I really enjoyed this beer. I think it is one of the better wheat beers out there.

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

Goose Island was the only beer available at the Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago 2006. There was the 312 here and the Summertime. This was definitely the better of the two and a perfect beer on a day that was so hot I was dripping with sweat.

Drinkability is a key factor in environments like this and the smooth feel and full taste made it easy to enjoy this cold beer.

Appearance were hard to judge through a plastic cup, but a fluffy white head and semi-cloudy body were definitely apparent.

Retired? Shame.

4.33/5  rDev +26.2%

Bottle poured into a shaker glass

Appearance is a cloudy straw yellow, head did not linger.

Slight lemon grassy smell.

Taste is smooth, slightly malty with a hint of the lemon and hops.

Very drinkable beer, my go to beer as a replacement for BMC with company and summer parties.

4.31/5  rDev +25.7%

12oz Bottle from Archer Liquors, Chicago, Illinois
Apparence:
Rich golden color. Very impressed on the color. It is transparent but cloudy. You can tell clearly that it is unfiltered. The beer is quite carbonated and you can see a lot of bubbles even after letting it sit.
Aroma:
The 312 Urban Wheat has a distinct aroma. While it is not strong and overpowering, it is quite rich in wheat flavors with some citrus smells.
Taste:
It is very tasteful and I feel has a rich wheat taste with a hint of citrus - almost like a hint of lemon....mmmm good. It is more pronounced than other wheat beers I've had such as Boulevard and Bell's Oberon.
Mouthfeel:
Smooth, and clear. The carbination perks my taste buds up and feels like it is leaving my mouth clean and refreshed!
Drinkability:
Very refreshing. A good wheat beer and not overpowering. With the carbination, which I feel it has just the right amount, it almost goes down like a light beer (easy and refreshing) but has the richness of a medium bodied beer.

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%

Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat, 2010

I find this beer to be one of the better American wheats I have had so far. Often times many American wheats need lemon to add some semblance of flavor, but this has all the flavor you need right in the bottle. Pours a golden hugh with a nice lasting head. The carbonation is just right and adds to the refreshing side of the beer. Smells of cloves and citrus with a hint of banana. Initially the body seems to be very light, but thickens nicely as it goes down. Considering the well balanced nature of this beer it is very drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This was drank in the perfect environment. Warm, breezy, after yard work by the fire. Pours the palest of golds, white meringue head, shiny. Smells like a wheat field. Tastes of wheat, and some sweet malt, a bit of bitterness on the back, but refreshing and man, it is drinkable. Mouthfeel was smooth and clean. Overall, a very enjoyable brew.

312 Urban Wheat from Goose Island Beer Co.