312 Urban Wheat | Goose Island Beer Co.

Read the review

Ratings: 4,529 |  Reviews: 919

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.66/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz can into a Weizen glass.

Pours a clear pale gold, with several fingers of foamy white head. This maintains roughly a sudsy ½ finger or so, leaving behind sticky swathes of spotty lacing. The aroma smells grassy with a touch of citrus and spice. A bready sweetness sits along the back but this is mostly focusing on that light hop character here.

The taste is grassy bitterness and light citrus flavors, while a moderately flavorful wheat backing gives the hops some support. This is dry with a leafy bitterness on the finish. The mouthfeel is lighter to medium bodied with a mellow prickliness on the tongue that then gets more smooth and silky along the back.

I wanted to like this one more but man; this is a really average take on a Wheat beer that is just boring feeling at times. I’m not usually one to just come out and call a beer that either but this unfortunately was the only thought going through my brain as I drank this. Disappointing.

3.1/5  rDev -9.4%

Oh yes, boys and girls, I found this in a CAN while at Pinocchio's on Friday! It is now going to be a part of what I am referring to as New CANned Beer Sunday to kickstart The CANQuest (TM) back to life. Yay beer!

From the CAN: "312 is an unfiltered ale. A sediment may form."; "Urban Wheat Ale".

Yo, I am an urban guy so this should be right up my alley. The Crack sounded like a gunshot and the Glug was like somebody was leaking blood all over my kitchen floor. My pour netted me two fingers of rocky, bone-white head with great retention. Color was a hazy sunshine-yellow and the overall effect was like looking at a glass of liquid lemon meringue pie. Nose had the characteristic wheat tang, actually kind of lemony. Mouthfeel was on the watery side, although not downright watery. It tasted kind of weak, slightly citrusy, but lacking the Oomph that would CANpel me to have more than one. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tangy, but overall kind of a yawn. Yo, my urban neighbors would not be fans of this one, yo.

Bro. Woody’s Rap

Y’all know me,
My name is Woody!
I may not be ordained,
But someday I’ll be a saint.
I travel from town to town,
Man, I really get around!
I was at Goose Island,
They got at me … ‘til I couldn’t stand!
Now, I’m drinkin’ an Imperial Stout.
Peace, babies, I’m out!

Today is 3-12-2016 Day and I now have a bottle to review! Happy 312 Day, you silly Gooses! Especially the one in Chicago!

From the bottle: "Crisp, bright flavor shines like city lights on Lake Michigan. Hazy and unfiltered, our award-winning Urban Wheat Ale's flavor flows from start to finish."; "312 is an unfiltered ale. A sediment may form."; "This beer will remain brewery fresh for 180 days after the bottled on date."

I Pop!ped the cap and began the celebration with a heavy-handed pour, raising two fingers of puffy, foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a hazy (right!) Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a lemony citrusiness, almost like lemon zest had been sprinkled into/onto it. Warming, I also began to get a slight tang from the wheat. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste had a light lemoniness to it, but it was pretty unobtrusive in total. Finish was semi-dry, refreshing, but more suited to a hot summer's day.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

312 Urban Wheat from Goose Island Beer Co.