Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015) | Goose Island Beer Co.

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015)Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015)
4.02/5
Exceptional

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Brewed with maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels, toasted pecans and guajillo peppers.

Added by ThatsThatDude on 07-30-2015

Reviews by Jordy777:
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

I don't review beers that are infected, however Goose Island has assured me that there are no issues with this year's Proprietors, so I am reviewing with that in mind, knowing that this is the flavor profile that Goose Island is content with... I loved this beer on tap which I had multiple times, however this review is for the bottled version, which was significantly different (worse). I'd highly recommend this beer for anyone who enjoyed this year's infected coffee or barleywine variants. The flavor profiles were remarkably similar.

Look: Same as other Bourbon County variants.
Smell: Sour cherries and slight maple with a touch of vomit.
Taste: Sour cherries and slight vomit with a touch of maple.
Feel: Similar to other Bourbon County variants, but thinner.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Skipping over appearance because, really, who gives a shit, the smell has promise. You get a ton of maple - though it isn't like authentic maple syrup with a sappy, resinous quality, as much as it's like a maple bar kind of maple - and after that stops Willy Wonka-ing your olfactory glands you get this great fruity chili, carrying a spice note that makes your nose do the bunny rabbit, and then a tinge of of earthiness to it. You don't smell pecans because ... stick your nose in a bag of pecans. They don't smell like anything. Great! Then you go to the flavor and it's all Sonny Liston pummeling your glands with Aunt Jemima. The front and middle of this journey are a waterslide of slick, oily maple. Only at room temp do you get some subtlety but that just ruins the body, making it a mouth coating sticky mess. The finish brings up a tingling spice and some nutty bitterness, oaky vanilla.

A great beer drowned in a vat of maple.

4.59/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle into a snifter.

Pours a dark brown, near black, opaque, with no head and no lacing. Smells pretty awesome- malt, maple, bourbon, dates, raisins, a nutty aroma, some peppers. Taste follows the nose with the malt, bourbon and maple. Also caramel, raisins, pecans, light chocolate, no peppers. It's sweet, but not overly so. Damn good. Very smooth for the ABV, an incredible and full body, taste lingers.

First off, I never criticize others reviews, but you folks that give this like, a 1.00, please stop using this site. Thanks.

Well blended, the mixing of the bourbon barrels and the maple is impressive. Had this at FOBAB. and thought it was much sweeter there. Much less so in the bottle. While the pecans come through quite clearly, the peppers do not, at least in the taste. This is a great beer. Glad I had this bottle, and twice as glad I have another.

3.06/5  rDev -23.9%

This certainly is a BCS variant. Pitch black color. The nose was lots of green peppers and a bit of maple. It's got a sticky syrupy mouthfeel. First sip was a blast of green peppers followed by overpowering maple sweetness with a bit or pecan. The overall sweetness overpowered any barrel I could taste. I could barely finish my 5oz pour. Admittedly I hate green peppers but this was also way too sweet. Without a doubt, the worst variant they have ever made.

3.89/5  rDev -3.2%

Holy maple sweetness batman. In the nose I got a bit of the pepper, but it is overwhelmed by maple in the taste. There is a mild nuttiness that I would have likely overlooked had it not been mentioned on the label. As far as beer goes this is good but very sweet, as far as Bourbon County goes this is my second least favorite variant after Cherry Rye (cough syrup).

Nope. The 3rd infected beer I've had. 2015 was a huge flop for gi. I've never been more disappointed in my life. Sour yogurt is dominant. Nothing else. Yuck.

I cracked three over the weekend. All three had the horrible off flavors. It had the same off flavors as the barleywine and coffee. All three were drain pours. I'm incredibly disappointed

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm conflicted on how to rate Prop 15. Obviously, per style, it's a tremendously infected, bad beer! But even so... it's practically a wine. When I cracked the bottle, the sour nose was evident from as far as five feet away. I couldn't believe how obvious it was - it had a very type sour grape smell.

Ordinarily I'd have stopped there... but a friend gave himself a small pour and tried it. He didn't die. Projectile vomiting did not ensue. So I waited a moment and tried it myself. Strangest thing - every other infected beer I've had has been execrably bad. But... Prop 15 tastes just like wine at this point. Per my tasting friends, the fruity, dark notes reminded them a lot of a cabernet. I'm not wino enough to chime in, but yes - it tastes just like wine... and not a bad one.

So, my rating does not reflect the intended style, but the actual experience with the beer as it is. I like it. I'd buy a bottle. I'm kind of impressed.

3.84/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Disclaimer: I tasted this at FOBAB which probably isn't the best venue to get a full neutral-palate review, but I am confident in my overall impressions.

A: thick black oily darkness, just like you'd expect from a BCBS variant.
S: Smells pretty good, mostly maple. This is to be expected, no issues here.
T: holy saccharine sh*tshow. If you took mrs butterworths and added a few cups of sugar it would still be less sweet than this maple trainwreck. Subsequent tastes did reveal some nice pecan flavor and a little bit of pepper heat but the sugary maple overwhelmed everything.
M: thick, sticky, just like it should be.
O: this was pretty disappointing. After tasting CBS (which was great) I had very high hopes and indeed all the flavors are there and the pecan and the pepper is appropriately restrained but there's just way too much maple sweetness. I could barely finish my 3oz pour. Easily the worst BCBS variant I've tried.

NOTE: If you have a bottle of this strongly consider saving it for a while. Will some time tame the maple? Hell if I know. I don't know anything. But I figure it might and it probably won't make it worse so do yourself a favor and sock this thing away for a year or three.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.74/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2.97/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I found this beer to be way to sweet. Had on tap at rare day and it was by far the worst variate. Smell was of burnt sugar and taste followed the smell. Was hoping for a more balance between sweet and heat, but it just wasn't there for me.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Was lucky enough to enjoy this beer twice. Very typical bourbon county look, and maple hits the nose with quite a punch. I like sweeter beers, and this one is on the sweet side. What I really liked about this beer was the fact that the toasted pecan flavor came through. I am not a real fan of pecans, but it worked wonderfully with the maple. My biggest knock on this beer is that I did not get any peppers.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This particular keg is a mess. Just a lot of maple and very little of anything else. The aroma is inviting with soft barrel tones, maple sweetness integrating with the whiskey and barrel vanilla, some chocolate and a bit of roast. The peppers and pecans could play a key role in dialing down the sweetness, but I get none here. Mouthfeel is very heavy, slick and syrupy, the finish is long and sweet. This is the first BCS I've had that is actually better cold.

When speaking with a reputable employee at Goose I was informed, and happily so, that this year's prop is a maple addition and they did not use the maple-bourbon barrels that they have. I would imagine that the latter would have a more integrated maple flavor, but that's just a guess. Here's to hoping the bottles are better.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015) from Goose Island Beer Co.