Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015)
Goose Island Beer Co.

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015)Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Goose Island Beer Co.

Illinois, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Brewed with maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels, toasted pecans and guajillo peppers.
Reviews: 67 | Ratings: 328 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by tmbgnicu:
tmbgnicu from Pennsylvania

2.17/5  rDev -47.7%

Simply put, this cannot be what GI intended. I've had two bottles now, and both tasted pretty much the same. There's something to be said for the consistency I suppose. But, this beer was over the top sweet. Could have been the maple I suppose but there was no barrel character at all. No pecan, no pepper. This beer was nothing it was advertised to be. That said, I shared my 2nd bottle with a buddy and he actually enjoyed it. The sweetness wasn't too much for him, and he wasn't bothered by the complete lack of advertised flavors. I'm reading some recent reviews of this beer and it appears that others felt the same way he did. Having had two bottles, I am positive that this beer is "off". I simply cannot imagine GI letting it leave and wanting it to be the way it currently is. I know they are looking into the off flavor claims, but it seems like the jury is already back with an infection decision.

Jun 22, 2016
Auztan from Illinois

I don't review beers that are infected, however Goose Island has assured me that there are no issues with this year's Proprietors, so I am reviewing with that in mind, knowing that this is the flavor profile that Goose Island is content with... I loved this beer on tap which I had multiple times, however this review is for the bottled version, which was significantly different (worse). I'd highly recommend this beer for anyone who enjoyed this year's infected coffee or barleywine variants. The flavor profiles were remarkably similar.

Look: Same as other Bourbon County variants.
Smell: Sour cherries and slight maple with a touch of vomit.
Taste: Sour cherries and slight vomit with a touch of maple.
Feel: Similar to other Bourbon County variants, but thinner.

Apr 18, 2016
Kurmaraja from California

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Skipping over appearance because, really, who gives a shit, the smell has promise. You get a ton of maple - though it isn't like authentic maple syrup with a sappy, resinous quality, as much as it's like a maple bar kind of maple - and after that stops Willy Wonka-ing your olfactory glands you get this great fruity chili, carrying a spice note that makes your nose do the bunny rabbit, and then a tinge of of earthiness to it. You don't smell pecans because ... stick your nose in a bag of pecans. They don't smell like anything. Great! Then you go to the flavor and it's all Sonny Liston pummeling your glands with Aunt Jemima. The front and middle of this journey are a waterslide of slick, oily maple. Only at room temp do you get some subtlety but that just ruins the body, making it a mouth coating sticky mess. The finish brings up a tingling spice and some nutty bitterness, oaky vanilla.

A great beer drowned in a vat of maple.

Nov 22, 2015
stortore from Illinois

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle into a snifter.

Pours a dark brown, near black, opaque, with no head and no lacing. Smells pretty awesome- malt, maple, bourbon, dates, raisins, a nutty aroma, some peppers. Taste follows the nose with the malt, bourbon and maple. Also caramel, raisins, pecans, light chocolate, no peppers. It's sweet, but not overly so. Damn good. Very smooth for the ABV, an incredible and full body, taste lingers.

First off, I never criticize others reviews, but you folks that give this like, a 1.00, please stop using this site. Thanks.

Well blended, the mixing of the bourbon barrels and the maple is impressive. Had this at FOBAB. and thought it was much sweeter there. Much less so in the bottle. While the pecans come through quite clearly, the peppers do not, at least in the taste. This is a great beer. Glad I had this bottle, and twice as glad I have another.

Apr 30, 2016
DLDlulz from Illinois

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

This certainly is a BCS variant. Pitch black color. The nose was lots of green peppers and a bit of maple. It's got a sticky syrupy mouthfeel. First sip was a blast of green peppers followed by overpowering maple sweetness with a bit or pecan. The overall sweetness overpowered any barrel I could taste. I could barely finish my 5oz pour. Admittedly I hate green peppers but this was also way too sweet. Without a doubt, the worst variant they have ever made.

Nov 29, 2015
dknutsen from Illinois

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Disclaimer: I tasted this at FOBAB which probably isn't the best venue to get a full neutral-palate review, but I am confident in my overall impressions.

A: thick black oily darkness, just like you'd expect from a BCBS variant.
S: Smells pretty good, mostly maple. This is to be expected, no issues here.
T: holy saccharine sh*tshow. If you took mrs butterworths and added a few cups of sugar it would still be less sweet than this maple trainwreck. Subsequent tastes did reveal some nice pecan flavor and a little bit of pepper heat but the sugary maple overwhelmed everything.
M: thick, sticky, just like it should be.
O: this was pretty disappointing. After tasting CBS (which was great) I had very high hopes and indeed all the flavors are there and the pecan and the pepper is appropriately restrained but there's just way too much maple sweetness. I could barely finish my 3oz pour. Easily the worst BCBS variant I've tried.

NOTE: If you have a bottle of this strongly consider saving it for a while. Will some time tame the maple? Hell if I know. I don't know anything. But I figure it might and it probably won't make it worse so do yourself a favor and sock this thing away for a year or three.

Nov 30, 2015
mctizzz from California

3.89/5  rDev -6.3%

Holy maple sweetness batman. In the nose I got a bit of the pepper, but it is overwhelmed by maple in the taste. There is a mild nuttiness that I would have likely overlooked had it not been mentioned on the label. As far as beer goes this is good but very sweet, as far as Bourbon County goes this is my second least favorite variant after Cherry Rye (cough syrup).

Dec 29, 2015
Vidblain from Minnesota

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm conflicted on how to rate Prop 15. Obviously, per style, it's a tremendously infected, bad beer! But even so... it's practically a wine. When I cracked the bottle, the sour nose was evident from as far as five feet away. I couldn't believe how obvious it was - it had a very type sour grape smell.

Ordinarily I'd have stopped there... but a friend gave himself a small pour and tried it. He didn't die. Projectile vomiting did not ensue. So I waited a moment and tried it myself. Strangest thing - every other infected beer I've had has been execrably bad. But... Prop 15 tastes just like wine at this point. Per my tasting friends, the fruity, dark notes reminded them a lot of a cabernet. I'm not wino enough to chime in, but yes - it tastes just like wine... and not a bad one.

So, my rating does not reflect the intended style, but the actual experience with the beer as it is. I like it. I'd buy a bottle. I'm kind of impressed.

Dec 22, 2017
AncientBomber from District of Columbia

I cracked three over the weekend. All three had the horrible off flavors. It had the same off flavors as the barleywine and coffee. All three were drain pours. I'm incredibly disappointed

Apr 17, 2016
winningwes91 from North Carolina

Nope. The 3rd infected beer I've had. 2015 was a huge flop for gi. I've never been more disappointed in my life. Sour yogurt is dominant. Nothing else. Yuck.

Jun 04, 2016
rodmanfor3 from Vermont

From the infected batch.

The taste is sour with a lingering touch of mildly off-putting apple cider and vinegar flavor, though the base components of the stout are still there. The beer is grossly over carbonated .

Overall, I would not want more than a sip of this beer, but it is not entirely awful. It might actually taste better than some of the regularly available stouts and sours that are being sold on the market today.

Dec 02, 2016
SteveTheBrit from Illinois

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Jun 14, 2016
mertzhb15 from Pennsylvania

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Apr 14, 2016
Phyl21ca from Canada

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a large dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of deep black chocolate notes with some bourbon notes and vanilla notes easily noticeable. Taste is a nice mix of residual sugar notes with some bourbon and woody notes with some vanilla and black chocolates mixing in very well. The peppers kicks in later and kind of ruined it for me with way too much spicy notes. Body is full with nice creamy texture and good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Solid offering but too much spicy notes for my taste buds.

Mar 18, 2016
Bradaplast from North Carolina

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dec 01, 2015
brentk56 from North Carolina

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Arrives dark as night with a very modest head that fails to last; no lacing

Smell: Roasty, with maple syrup, chocolate and molasses

Taste: Roasty, with chocolate and maple syrup, up front, and pecan tones developing in the middle; after the swallow, the impact of the Bourbon barrel becomes clear, with vanilla tones, as well; it takes a few sips, but the pepper adds a tinge of heat to the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation

Overall: Incredibly smooth, and the touch of heat makes this somewhat different

May 27, 2016
DeadeyeOTDO from Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Feb 01, 2016
emerge077 from Illinois

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nov 24, 2015
andyrobertson1212 from Minnesota

2.62/5  rDev -36.9%

Overly sweet like chillies covered in syrup. Not for me. Iv never had a bourbon county i didnt like... till now

Dec 04, 2015

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nov 13, 2015
Ryannel24 from Illinois

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Nov 30, 2015
belgbeerdrinker from Colorado

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Jan 24, 2016
HeartofMiami from Florida

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Feb 06, 2016
Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout (2015) from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 92 out of 100 with 328 ratings