Goose IPA | Goose Island Beer Co.

Goose IPAGoose IPA

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Our India Pale Ale recalls a time when ales shipped from England to India were highly hopped to preserve their distinct taste during the long journey. The result is a hop lover’s dream with a fruity aroma, set off by a dry malt middle, and long hop finish.

55 IBUs

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Reviews: 1,326 | Ratings: 5,192
3.23/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank it from a can. The least favorite of the IPAs that I have tried so far. Has a decent flavor, but the aftertaste was offputting. Would I drink it again? Yes. If I didn't have to pay for it.

4.73/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic IPA. A fair standard for the style...yes, there are richer and deeper IPA's...yes, there are wilder and unique hops. I know, I know. but Goose crafted an excellent brew here..very satisfying. Love it.

1.64/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Ordered this at a restaurant and asked them if this was truly the Goose IPA or if they may have made a mistake and gave me the wrong beer.
My wife, who does not like IPA's, tried it and said it was something she could definitely finish (she was drinking Sapporo, being at a Sushi Restaurant).
I asked the waitress to double check if I received the correct beer and she was kind enough to bring me a new one. It tasted the same as the first.
I guess I'm just used to, and prefer, West coast IPA's.
For me, not enough hops. Not bitter enough. Smell? Couldn't decipher.
Would I get again? Yeah, if it was the only beer at a sushi restaurant (next to Japanese Beers), but not if I had the choice between this and other IPA's

4.24/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice Amber yellow with medium head. Smells Piney and hoppy. Some malt taste but hops drown it out in the finish. Smooth IPA for a great price.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

P- Poured from a 12 oz bottle,into a Funky Buddha snifter.Bottled on date: 06APR17.

L- Creamy off white colored head that stands 1 finger tall,with good retention and sticky lacing.Crisp gold colored body,with good clarity.Medium amount of carbonation.

S- On the nose I get bright citrus notes,backed by sweet biscuit malts.Trace elements of earth as well.Getting a little bit of honey in there too.

T- On the palate I get grapefruit and floral hops up front,sweet biscuits malt in the middle,and some pine hops and earthy flavors on the back end.

F- The mouth feel is thin with a high amount of oxidation on the tongue.Slightly dry on the finish.

O- This is an okay IPA,not my favorite English style.I probably wouldn't drink it again unless offered to me.Wouldn't recommend to an IPA purist,or a hop head either.

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

So, the can reads: "We just want to be the best beer you drink". If I drank Bud Lite & Old German this may the case. Golden amber, mostly clear. Foamy head with streak lacing. Aroma is faint. Grass, earthy and herbal. Hints of citrus and other fruits. Flavor is mostly bitter, herbal hops. Some pine and grapefruit. Not much in the malt characteristics. Very resinous, watery finish, thick mouthfeel. An ok beer considering they were $1.69 for a tall boy.

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

A golden amber IPA, minimal head, no lace. Smell is mildly hoppy, with a bit of lemon. The unabashedly hoppy taste is resiny with a long lasting bitterness, and a slightly prickly feel. A typical IPA, I suppose; but I've had better.

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%

A. Clear light amber.
S. Pine, fruity, totally fresh, citrus...
T. Piney, with herbal notes, not high bitterness.
M. Medium body and carbonation. Dry feeling.
O. Fresh beer, good for summer times. I little bit below to my standard IPA beer taste like.

2.92/5  rDev -23%

Had a draught pour at De Refter bar in Beijing.
Look: Pours a very clear light amber with a tight head that leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Fresh, herbal hops with light citrus.

Taste: The immediate taste is dry and piney, with muddy herbal notes in the background and an almost floral perfume which I wasn't too taken with. Signature IPA bitterness follows but without being too overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Dry, medium body, medium carbonation

Overall: A bit subdued and dull compared to other IPA of similar popularity. Not a bad drink, but I would choose other IPA first given the choice.

3.89/5  rDev +2.6%

Look: Pours a golden shade of yellow with a one finger off white head. Laces the glass well.

Aroma: Slightly musky with hints of mango and grapefruit. Some caramel malt on the nose. A little bit of spicy peppery notes hiding in the background.

Taste: Bitter upfront with subdued flavors of pine sap. Immediately, notes of sweet caramel malt, graham cracker, vanilla and orange come into play after the initial bitterness subsides. Finishes dry on mild notes of bitter pine resin and faint tropical fruit juice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Slightly dry.

Overall: A nice starter IPA, I gave this to two of my friends who aren't that into bitter beers and both of them loved it. Not a bad beer at all but you can tell this is brewed for the masses - to be as inoffensive to the average drinker as possible - which is fine and all - but give this a pass if you're expecting something bold and hoppy. Very sweet for an IPA while still retaining a decently bitter flavor profile upfront. I like it, it's bright and tropical, but it's a little too malty for my taste. If you gave this to me blind I would probably mistake this for a pale ale.

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great golden pour, nice hop flavor, a little bread finish, and citrus tones abound. A very drinkable beer and one that will be a mainstay in my beer fridge.

3.31/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A 12 fl oz bottle, bottled on 18th November 2016 and best before 18th November 2017. Poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Appearance: A clear golden copper colour with a close to three finger white head that had good retention and left great lacing.

Aroma: Piney with citrus lemon and lime followed by a light sweet malt background.

Taste: I’m not getting much in the taste. Some sweet and grassy malt and something along the lines of a bitter lemon tea.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall: It looks great and its aromas were quite nice. Taste was a little too light and one dimensional with just a combination of sweet and long lasting bitterness.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(11/28/16, 12oz, 36-36 Club, Long Beach) Revisted, Enjoyed this beer two days in a row, and had two in a row this sitting which is a sign of a good beer for me. Very balanced IPA, kinda surprised how good it came off this time, 3.8

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Goose Island IPA, 5.9% ABV, 55 IBU. Pours thin and orange, with a one finger foamy white head, leaves decent lacing. Nose is piney hops. Taste is malt, then a moderate bitter hop close. Decent mouthfeel, overall decent.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Goose Island Beer Co. - Goose IPA. 5.9% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled on 11/19/16.

Look: Clear gold body with an off yellow, porous head; leaved sticky lacing behind as it dissipates.

Smell: Bitter hops, pine resin, with a little hint of citrus.

Feel: Not very smooth, with lots of lively carbonation.

Taste: On the bitter side throughout; very dank too. Very little of anything else really, only dank resin and piney hops. Slight citrus fruit on the finish.

Overall: Bitter IPA's aren't really my favorite, but this wasn't bad. Lacking in a lot of diversity, but sure to be enjoyed by those that like dank, hoppy beers.

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

A nice hop beer. I'm not a big fan of hop beer but I start to appreciated them more than before.

Goose Island beer Co, have many beer I like to drink once in a while

A well balanced IPA, the malt is not overwhelmed by the hops. An everyday IPA. Since the Anheuser-Busch purchase, a six pack now runs $8.99 at my local store. Still taste the same to me. No need to complicate it, it's just good beer.

3.54/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle dated 11-29-16, pulled from a Flight Pack sampler 12-pack. Paid $11.99 at Jewel-Osco.

Haven't had this is in easily 10 years. Not much of a Goose fan, despite the locality, and was actually on the fence (despite the tantalizingly low price!) about this purchase because it included Goose IPA and not the superior, IMO, Honker's Ale. (The other beers in the 12er were Four Star Pils, 312 Wheat, and Green Line, of which the Pils is by far the best of the box. (Me: hop head))

First, there's a lot of "this is one of their mass appeal beers" snark that I want to avoid. I'm drinking this under the assumption that it's the historical equivalent of the former Goose Island India Pale Ale, rebranded Goose IPA for marketing. Carbonation clears quickly. Sticky head that dissipates fast as well. Decent lacing. Remnants of head actually look like dried sugar for a time.

Nose is kinda weak. If it is actually based on the English style, it doesn't have the malty musk I associate with (for lack of a better example) Bass. The mouthfeel is surprisingly persistent in its hold on the tongue. Somewhat watery, but lingers with a percolating bitterness. Taste is very piney, bitter, forward with a mild sweetness with a malt that tends toward sour. (Contrary to other reviews, I don't -- sitting here in January -- think this would go well on a hot summer day). It's not nearly as contrived as I think some reviews make this out to be. It's passable. I probably won't purchase it on its own or recommend it to anyone whose beer opinion I respect. I would recommend Honker's.

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at Chili's it was a default brew just to have one. pours and smells like an IPA it golden with citus hues and taste. Nothing special here it has citus malt , pine and lingering bitterness. Would not ever buy a sixer but on tap its drinkable

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

Being a Porter, Stout, Oatmeal, Dunkel type of guy, this is very good IPA.
Generally, I don't like bitter beer. But Goose Island is a solid brewer so when I saw it for 3.50 for 2 x 16oz cans, I just had to try it.
Now I am after a sixer of this fine IPA.
Look: Looks like all beer of this type, some weirdo said dark piss but all beer looks like piss, no?
Smell: Hoppy and and a little sweet.
Taste: Like a really bitter IPA which surprised me that I like it. The bitterness is long lasting, like Wrigley Spearmint Gum is supposed to be.
Overall: Damn, I can't believe that this IPA strikes a cord with me. Maybe price or the fact that Goose Island makes some really fine beer.
Thanks for reading my loathsome review!

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Scent is spot on for this style. Big bready malt backbone with hints of citrus and fruit on the nose. Loving that part so far. Flavor fails to bring through what I detected on the nose. Kinda very muted maltiness with some hop bitterness at the end. Lots of carbonation and a decent feel round out this beer. Ok to good but not great.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

nice looking clear brew, sick lacing. some citric notes on the nose as well as earthy pine and a touch of malts. some grains and sweet malts on the palate, bitterness on the finish. overall enjoyable but nothing great.

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A much creamier IPA, strong hop notes with a nice floral hint. Not too much overkill on the hops in terms of IBU, but a nice stronger beer. A good IPA overall.

2.76/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Very light looking for an IPA. Poured with a small head which left some lacing and a film.

Tropical fruit on the nose.

Palate is much the same. Ok , but nothing of really worth mentioning. A little too bitter on the finish for my taste.

Overall, a rather bland beer. Drinkable but not recommended.

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass..yes I'm a neanderthal. Thick, off-white head with light carbonation, transparent copper color. Lots of citrus hops on the nose and some bready malts. Definitely more of your east coast style IPA and not a lot of citrus hops at first taste. Quite mellow - very nice mesh between the hops and malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel and doesn't linger long. Overall a very good "go-to" IPA but not at the top of the pack.

Goose IPA from Goose Island Beer Co.