India Pale Ale | Goose Island Beer Co.

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Our India Pale Ale recalls a time when ales shipped from England to India were highly hopped to preserve their distinct taste during the long journey. The result is a hop lover’s dream with a fruity aroma, set off by a dry malt middle, and long hop finish.

55 IBUs

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Reviews: 1,167 | Ratings: 4,299

A well balanced IPA, the malt is not overwhelmed by the hops. An everyday IPA. Since the Anheuser-Busch purchase, a six pack now runs $8.99 at my local store. Still taste the same to me. No need to complicate it, it's just good beer.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at Chili's it was a default brew just to have one. pours and smells like an IPA it golden with citus hues and taste. Nothing special here it has citus malt , pine and lingering bitterness. Would not ever buy a sixer but on tap its drinkable

3.69/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Scent is spot on for this style. Big bready malt backbone with hints of citrus and fruit on the nose. Loving that part so far. Flavor fails to bring through what I detected on the nose. Kinda very muted maltiness with some hop bitterness at the end. Lots of carbonation and a decent feel round out this beer. Ok to good but not great.

3.44/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A much creamier IPA, strong hop notes with a nice floral hint. Not too much overkill on the hops in terms of IBU, but a nice stronger beer. A good IPA overall.

2.76/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Very light looking for an IPA. Poured with a small head which left some lacing and a film.

Tropical fruit on the nose.

Palate is much the same. Ok , but nothing of really worth mentioning. A little too bitter on the finish for my taste.

Overall, a rather bland beer. Drinkable but not recommended.

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass..yes I'm a neanderthal. Thick, off-white head with light carbonation, transparent copper color. Lots of citrus hops on the nose and some bready malts. Definitely more of your east coast style IPA and not a lot of citrus hops at first taste. Quite mellow - very nice mesh between the hops and malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel and doesn't linger long. Overall a very good "go-to" IPA but not at the top of the pack.

3.69/5  rDev -3.4%

I almost had to convince myself that this is an IPA. From its appearance in the glass, it looked like an adjunct lager. It's taste was not overwhelming, but it was there. I could definitely detect hops. Overall, there is nothing special here--nothing bad, but nothing worth revisiting. It smells great, but I can't get passed how clear it looked after pouring.
Addendum: On the advice of a colleague, I gave Goose a second try and found it more pleasing that my first encounter. Basically, the flavor seem more balanced than my pervious experience. That said, I don't feel the need to change my rating because I never thought it was bad, but I will refrain from making bad comparisons in the future.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Good head level, amber colour.

Aroma is subtle with citrus notes...some malts coming through also...

Taste evolves in the glass as it warms more to room temperature.

Very well balanced, and highly complex hops to complement the malt and wheat. For me however there are some IPA's with a more daring hops flavour...still it's really impressive!

Highly complex mouthfeel, that tingles and changes flavor as it goes down...

2.07/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

On Tap at TD Banknorth Garden

I didn't pour it obviously. The $12 16 ounce beer looked like Bud Light with a dab of soy sauce for darkening, smelled like Bud Light with a maybe a little bit of backend bitterness, way effervescent and watery, massive disappointment, and absolute embarrassment.

I've had Goose Island products before, don't lend your name to a product if they're going to serve it the way they did.

A dull, overly bubbly sessionable mess. At the price strongest recommendation to avoid.

3.46/5  rDev -9.4%

I've had this on tap and also in the bottle and overall it's a "middle of the road" IPA. Smell: very little hops aroma on the pour. I detect some malty/caramel bitterness but nothing to write home about. Taste follows the aroma. There are some butterscotch notes, malty caramel with dank hops. Not a West Coast IPA for sure (go figure) but very much in line with midwest/east coast pale ales that tend towards the dank/earthy hops vs. citrus bright hops of the West Coast. That being said I like this beer but it's not on the top of my list for "go to" IPAs

3.43/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Usual look of a deeper golden, amber color, 3/4" white head. Aroma of citrus grapefruit.

Taste takes on a mixture of pale and amber malts, introducing a small tinge of woodiness. There's c hop bitterness going for those grapefruit stretches. Its off the beaten path as an English ipa it is extremely hoppy. This is more of a hybrid of both American and English ipas, and its a solid beer, and the Inbev acquisition actually was a good thing in terms of fresh distribution for this one.

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favourite American IPAs. Available in 355ml bottles in some bars and Waitrose supermarket but at £2.79 a bottle (£5.05/litre) there is better off the shelf value at Tesco with Laginitas IPA and Proper Job IPA 500ml bottles on regular offer of 4 for £6 = £3/Litre.

3.52/5  rDev -7.9%

On tap at Northwood Casino. Straw colored with little head, little to no hoppy aroma to tell me this was an IPA (a friend had brought it from the bar). BUT...it was wonderfully bready/yeasty, very drinkable, even after being sipped for 20 minutes or more. I enjoyed it so much I called to find out what it was so I can try some at home.
I usually drink Bale Breaker Top Cutter, New Belgium Ranger, our local Aslan Batch 15, and Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, so this was a completely different class of IPA, but was still thinking about it the next day, so it definitely made a good impression.

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

The color of tea, clear.
Head yellowish, very creamy, fine-bubble, a very long time remains on the surface of beer.
The aroma in the foreground resin, then tangerine, a little mango and citrus.
Taste resin - the backbone of this drink, and later as a clear aroma of mandarin and other citrus.
Gentian is not exaggerated, dry, grapefruit, encourages further sips.
The loading medium toward low.
Alcohol is not perceptible
This very tasty IPA, "dense" in consistency, lightly sour and sweet, very refreshing.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

First Goose Island product I have had.

Poured into the glass out of the bottle a very pale color with a two finger white head that dissipates down to about one finger and holds throughout. Aromas were not very pleasant, almost smelled of a very bitter banana peal. Taste was not much better... I did not get a sense of hopps in the taste. I tasted some banana and it was very bitter. It drinks very light and feels the same.

With the praise the beer has gotten, I was disappointed.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Goose IPA is not the bitter or the richer good smelling beer.

Dispite it lack of bitterness, this beer citrical and refreshing taste made up for a great beer for the summer. Its low abv helps with the feel that it is a beer for summer hot days.

It is better and cheaper than many IPAs over there, so the cost/benefit make it a good choice session IPA.

1.44/5  rDev -62.3%

This has to be the worst IPA I have ever had in my life. Ok, the second worst ipa. The infected IPA I had at GABF was the worst. Goose Island is a bunch of A Holes. This isnt even a British IPA. Worst IPA ever. No hops, no nothing. I dont know what yall were drinking, but I was drinking Coors light. This beer is crap. Chalky, weirdly sweet, with lingering aftertaste of aparocot pits. I can think of 10 other ipas that are better. God this is crap.

3.81/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A good IPA, not a hop monster, but very satisfying and refreshing. Very consistent from a bottle, varies on tap from being a little things to being very full bodied.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This IPA pours a light orange color with a fairly thin white foamy head and a somewhat high amount of carbonation. The smell is surprisingly mild for an IPA with only a mild citrus scent. The flavor has orange, grapefruit, florals, and some mildly malty roasted grain elements. The bitterness is pretty low for an IPA (55 ibu), but there is some that comes through in the aftertaste. The finish is also pretty dry. The body is on the light end of medium, probably lighter than most IPAs. Like many of the Goose Island beers that I’ve tried, I feel like the body is a little too light. The flavors are good, if a bit uninteresting, but they taste a bit mild to me. This is a pretty good summery IPA, but if you’re more into bold, intense IPAs than this will not be for you.

it tastes like perfume. i also had an allergic reaction where my entire back broke out with rashes and 4 days later my body still itches. I love beer and I have never had such a reaction to any beer. This is the worst beer I have ever tasted.

3.14/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Goose Island IPA has a sweeter hoppy taste than most IPA beers I've had before. At 5.90% ABV, it will take possibly four to start feeling the drink but it is a nice beer to sit out in the warming weather and enjoy. The IPA goes well with most foods that compliment the taste of hops.

A lot of drinkers have felt disappointed with this beer and some outright dislike it so, I might not pick this one up. Except I just did. I was at the gas station craving a hoppy IPA and couldn't find the local brewery's selection. I enjoyed the bitter taste though the aftertaste lingered long after. Upon my first sips this second time around, I don't get that aftertaste, oh wait, there it is, just had to wait. I guess that is what I meant by it lingering. I couldn't pick up any of the other flavors that are mixed in. The bitterness and hops overpower anything else. I have to agree with this taste but this time, I'm a bit more pleased with the flavor since I was craving an IPA taste.

Check out more of this double day review and others at swilliky.com

3.66/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A pleasantly average ipa. Hops are balanced between east coast, west coast, and European aromas/flavors. Overall it's rather plain, like too many flavors overwhelm the senses, Drinks easy but I find it slightly thin.

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 5 oz. tasting glass. Bottle dated 08MAR16.

Aroma: Moderate fruit and citrus aroma. Slight European hop presence as well. A nice mixture of grapefruit and pine with a slight presence of floral. Hint of oxidation. (7/12)

Appearance: Pure gold in color. Crystal Clear. Nice white head that dissipates quickly only leaving a thin layer of bubbles around the edge. No lacing. (2/3)

Flavor: Pale Malt flavor is there, but only slightly. Some Munich Malt flavor as well. Medium caramel malt flavor in the background. Hops complement malt flavor appropriately. Astringent aftertaste that may have developed from oxidation. (14/20)

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium and dry. Carbonation for the style is spot on. (4/5)

Overall: Decent example of an American IPA. Doesn't compare with the "new age" of IPA's very well. Let's call it an Old School IPA. Some oxidation most likely caused from age as this beer was bottled 2.5 months ago. Good session IPA, but I would pass on in the future. (7/10)

TOTAL SCORE: 34 out of 50

3.42/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Decent, mild IPA. Possible to mistake for an APA (or unfortunately an an American Adjunct Ale) due to low hop presence. But that's Not so bad because I just this week found a local market that sells a full pint can for $1.39. Good malt backbone in this ale, but surprisingky hints of corn. I didn't quite experience the "bold hop finish" that's trumpeted on the can. But it's still an OK beer. Goose Island distributes lightly to Oregon, wish I could access some of their more exotic brews. With no logic involved, I've stopped buying the local In Bev buyout (10 Barrel, here in Deschutes County), but have no problem with buying the 'original' IN BEV acquisition, I guess because it's 1500 miles away and doesn't cause any pain. Back to the beer: at 5.9 a decent session IPA that beats most BMC swill. Was a bit surprised to read on can bottom that the beer would stay "Brewery fresh" for 180 days after canned-on date. Mmmmmm ??

3.96/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Light gold with white foam and variable lacing.

Aroma: Citrus hops and malt, the malt really comes through. I don't really get honeyed sweetness but get that impression.

Taste: Rather full with hops of course but the malt presence is definitely felt. Hops override but malt is there. Clean, hop influenced finish and slightly bitter hop aftertaste.

Texture: Reasonably full with enough richness to be interesting.

Overall: Nice beer, hoppy enough, malty enough, enough of both to be pleasing yet I get the sense of a middle of the road IPA without flaws designed for wide appeal. Nothing to jump around about but certainly not one to pass on either.

India Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.