Goose IPA | Goose Island Beer Co.

3.71/5
Good

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Our India Pale Ale recalls a time when ales shipped from England to India were highly hopped to preserve their distinct taste during the long journey. The result is a hop lover’s dream with a fruity aroma, set off by a dry malt middle, and long hop finish.

55 IBUs

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Ratings: 5,370 |  Reviews: 1,369

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

sorry, I tried to like this beer but I just cant get around the soapy taste of it. Everything about this beer screams awesomeness.-the color is superb, it smells of grain and grass and good piney hops. but then something happens. . . the beer goes sweet but not in a good way. and then boom! you are hit with floral,soapy, perfumey nastiness. I believe this is the same yeast that they use in the goose island honkers ale (E.s.b.) which is very fruity also. fruity esters are out. ymmv. :)

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.47/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I have never been a huge fan of Goose Island, but I am always up for trying a good IPA...so here it is: Goose Island's India Pale Ale.goose island india pale ale

The color of the beer is an attractive gold/orange. Nice foaming as you pour, reduces slowly to leave a good cream on top and very heavy lacing on the sides of the glass.

Classic IPA aroma of citrus, pine and resin. Smell is good, but not as strong as some of my favorite IPAs

The taste is a little more subtle and watery than the smell led me to expect. The light mouthfeel, and easy drinkability are pleasant, but again...not as strong as I would have expected. This beer has a nice pine and resin aftertaste, as you would want in an IPA.

Overall, a good but not great IPA. I could certainly see myself having another one of these, but would not go out of my way to find it or recommend it to a friend. I did enjoy this more than any of the previous offerings by Goose Island I have tried.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.39/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I Updates:
11/29/15 - On tap at LAX Airport Rolling Stone Bar, along with many other InBev owned and distributed products. This is a good IPA and, unfortunately, the only one available.
2-18-16 update. On tap in Manhattan. A fine IPA, but I'm moving on.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Goose IPA from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 3.71 out of 5 with 5,370 ratings