Goose IPA | Goose Island Beer Co.

Goose IPAGoose IPA

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Our India Pale Ale recalls a time when ales shipped from England to India were highly hopped to preserve their distinct taste during the long journey. The result is a hop lover’s dream with a fruity aroma, set off by a dry malt middle, and long hop finish.

55 IBUs

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Reviews: 1,327 | Ratings: 5,196
4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

Being a Porter, Stout, Oatmeal, Dunkel type of guy, this is very good IPA.
Generally, I don't like bitter beer. But Goose Island is a solid brewer so when I saw it for 3.50 for 2 x 16oz cans, I just had to try it.
Now I am after a sixer of this fine IPA.
Look: Looks like all beer of this type, some weirdo said dark piss but all beer looks like piss, no?
Smell: Hoppy and and a little sweet.
Taste: Like a really bitter IPA which surprised me that I like it. The bitterness is long lasting, like Wrigley Spearmint Gum is supposed to be.
Overall: Damn, I can't believe that this IPA strikes a cord with me. Maybe price or the fact that Goose Island makes some really fine beer.
Thanks for reading my loathsome review!

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Scent is spot on for this style. Big bready malt backbone with hints of citrus and fruit on the nose. Loving that part so far. Flavor fails to bring through what I detected on the nose. Kinda very muted maltiness with some hop bitterness at the end. Lots of carbonation and a decent feel round out this beer. Ok to good but not great.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

nice looking clear brew, sick lacing. some citric notes on the nose as well as earthy pine and a touch of malts. some grains and sweet malts on the palate, bitterness on the finish. overall enjoyable but nothing great.

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A much creamier IPA, strong hop notes with a nice floral hint. Not too much overkill on the hops in terms of IBU, but a nice stronger beer. A good IPA overall.

2.76/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Very light looking for an IPA. Poured with a small head which left some lacing and a film.

Tropical fruit on the nose.

Palate is much the same. Ok , but nothing of really worth mentioning. A little too bitter on the finish for my taste.

Overall, a rather bland beer. Drinkable but not recommended.

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass..yes I'm a neanderthal. Thick, off-white head with light carbonation, transparent copper color. Lots of citrus hops on the nose and some bready malts. Definitely more of your east coast style IPA and not a lot of citrus hops at first taste. Quite mellow - very nice mesh between the hops and malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel and doesn't linger long. Overall a very good "go-to" IPA but not at the top of the pack.

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%

I almost had to convince myself that this is an IPA. From its appearance in the glass, it looked like an adjunct lager. It's taste was not overwhelming, but it was there. I could definitely detect hops. Overall, there is nothing special here--nothing bad, but nothing worth revisiting. It smells great, but I can't get passed how clear it looked after pouring.
Addendum: On the advice of a colleague, I gave Goose a second try and found it more pleasing that my first encounter. Basically, the flavor seem more balanced than my pervious experience. That said, I don't feel the need to change my rating because I never thought it was bad, but I will refrain from making bad comparisons in the future.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Good head level, amber colour.

Aroma is subtle with citrus notes...some malts coming through also...

Taste evolves in the glass as it warms more to room temperature.

Very well balanced, and highly complex hops to complement the malt and wheat. For me however there are some IPA's with a more daring hops flavour...still it's really impressive!

Highly complex mouthfeel, that tingles and changes flavor as it goes down...

2.07/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

On Tap at TD Banknorth Garden

I didn't pour it obviously. The $12 16 ounce beer looked like Bud Light with a dab of soy sauce for darkening, smelled like Bud Light with a maybe a little bit of backend bitterness, way effervescent and watery, massive disappointment, and absolute embarrassment.

I've had Goose Island products before, don't lend your name to a product if they're going to serve it the way they did.

A dull, overly bubbly sessionable mess. At the price strongest recommendation to avoid.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A citrus hops that fades into a grainy bitterness.

Taste Rating in Words: It's a spring day, with all the good you still have to deal with the allergies.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Clear orange body, moderate white head, extensive lacing.

S - Pine and lemon, honeyed malts. Lots on the resin end of the hop spectrum.

T - Bright open, fruit and clean pine and resin notes, a mildly malty middle and a strong bitter close.

M - Brisk and fresh, easy drinking. Just a hint of drying in the close, but it does not become taxing.

O - A quite solid old school IPA, very pleasant. And a deal at the typical price.

1.6/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This is a pretty terrible beer. I would say it is almost the worst I've had to date (09-25-16) aside from the Sweet Water 420 Extra Pale Ale. Obnoxiously strong and bitter flavour that lingers for a long time.

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%

I've had this on tap and also in the bottle and overall it's a "middle of the road" IPA. Smell: very little hops aroma on the pour. I detect some malty/caramel bitterness but nothing to write home about. Taste follows the aroma. There are some butterscotch notes, malty caramel with dank hops. Not a West Coast IPA for sure (go figure) but very much in line with midwest/east coast pale ales that tend towards the dank/earthy hops vs. citrus bright hops of the West Coast. That being said I like this beer but it's not on the top of my list for "go to" IPAs

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%

This had a golden color with a thin head, the smell was full of hops with light citrus at the end. The taste was extremely hoppy at the beginning, however it had a metallic and malty flavor during the finish. The feel was decent with an average amount of carbonation with a nice taste of hops left in your mouth.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

Bought a six pack to have a few before going out to a concert. Bought this particular brand for two reasons: the other competing brands were low IBU, and it was domestic and local. I figured id support local.

Look:
didn't particularly enjoy the packaging, branding, or label(s). the name was funny for a beer, 'm not into overly-marketted alcohol. Poured a yellow-orange liquid in the glass reminiscent of dark piss. noticeable carbonation. Nothing special in this area.

smell:
A treat for the senses. Citrus-dominant notes tingle the nose, mainly lemon and lime. Noticeable hoppy aroma. Some pine and orange notes, very pleasing.

Taste:
Citrus, hops, then a strong bitterness that lingers. Not much more to say - a strong bitter citrus-flavored drink. Maybe some slight malt undertones.

Feel:
Carbonation, somewhat medium-bodied, gives way to acid/bitter on the tongue that stays.

Overall:
I like this drink, but then again, I like my drinks strong and bitter. The first drink reminded me of my usual purchase: boundary ale, although Goose IPA is more bitter, boundary ale is more balanced. This is one of the more bitter beers I've tried, but not the most bitter, it comes second or third. I would maybe buy again, it's not a bad beer, but then again, this style is becoming popular of late and I'm getting tired of this particular hop in so many different brands. Citrus hopped IPA is a distinct style.

I would recommend if you like hops, your beer strong and your coffee black; perhaps if your in for a new style of beer, but I know this beer would not be for everyone.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Usual look of a deeper golden, amber color, 3/4" white head. Aroma of citrus grapefruit.

Taste takes on a mixture of pale and amber malts, introducing a small tinge of woodiness. There's c hop bitterness going for those grapefruit stretches. Its off the beaten path as an English ipa it is extremely hoppy. This is more of a hybrid of both American and English ipas, and its a solid beer, and the Inbev acquisition actually was a good thing in terms of fresh distribution for this one.

4.48/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favourite American IPAs. Available in 355ml bottles in some bars and Waitrose supermarket but at £2.79 a bottle (£5.05/litre) there is better off the shelf value at Tesco with Laginitas IPA and Proper Job IPA 500ml bottles on regular offer of 4 for £6 = £3/Litre.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at Northwood Casino. Straw colored with little head, little to no hoppy aroma to tell me this was an IPA (a friend had brought it from the bar). BUT...it was wonderfully bready/yeasty, very drinkable, even after being sipped for 20 minutes or more. I enjoyed it so much I called to find out what it was so I can try some at home.
I usually drink Bale Breaker Top Cutter, New Belgium Ranger, our local Aslan Batch 15, and Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, so this was a completely different class of IPA, but was still thinking about it the next day, so it definitely made a good impression.

3.72/5  rDev -1.8%

The color of tea, clear.
Head yellowish, very creamy, fine-bubble, a very long time remains on the surface of beer.
The aroma in the foreground resin, then tangerine, a little mango and citrus.
Taste resin - the backbone of this drink, and later as a clear aroma of mandarin and other citrus.
Gentian is not exaggerated, dry, grapefruit, encourages further sips.
The loading medium toward low.
Alcohol is not perceptible
This very tasty IPA, "dense" in consistency, lightly sour and sweet, very refreshing.

3.11/5  rDev -17.9%

First Goose Island product I have had.

Poured into the glass out of the bottle a very pale color with a two finger white head that dissipates down to about one finger and holds throughout. Aromas were not very pleasant, almost smelled of a very bitter banana peal. Taste was not much better... I did not get a sense of hopps in the taste. I tasted some banana and it was very bitter. It drinks very light and feels the same.

With the praise the beer has gotten, I was disappointed.

1.6/5  rDev -57.8%

Awful. How does this win awards. I'm new to this website but beer shouldn't be this bitter. I'm also 59 and have sampled my share over the years. What am I missing?

2.92/5  rDev -23%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Extraordinarily clear and still (no carbonation) honey-gold beer with almost no head. That head disappears almost instantaneously. Smell of very faint malt with almost no detectable hop presence. The taste is similarly unimpressive. I'm not a guy who likes hops, but this barely even qualifies as an IPA; hell, I think their PIlsner is hoppier. Mouthfeel is smooth and zingy. Weirdly, this is a poor beer to me even though it lacks most of the qualities I tend to dislike about the style.

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Goose IPA is a decent inexpensive IPA.

Look: It has a clear golden hue with a thin white head.

Aroma: The aroma is modest but there’s pine and citrus.

Taste: Grassy malts, pine, orange, grapefruit, and some moderate hop bitterness.

Feel: crisp, significant carbonation.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Goose IPA is not the bitter or the richer good smelling beer.

Dispite it lack of bitterness, this beer citrical and refreshing taste made up for a great beer for the summer. Its low abv helps with the feel that it is a beer for summer hot days.

It is better and cheaper than many IPAs over there, so the cost/benefit make it a good choice session IPA.

1.44/5  rDev -62%

This has to be the worst IPA I have ever had in my life. Ok, the second worst ipa. The infected IPA I had at GABF was the worst. Goose Island is a bunch of A Holes. This isnt even a British IPA. Worst IPA ever. No hops, no nothing. I dont know what yall were drinking, but I was drinking Coors light. This beer is crap. Chalky, weirdly sweet, with lingering aftertaste of aparocot pits. I can think of 10 other ipas that are better. God this is crap.

Goose IPA from Goose Island Beer Co.