Juliet | Goose Island Beer Co.

JulietJuliet

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A rye beer aged in French oak (Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon) with blackberries and Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2008

Ratings: 1,591 |  Reviews: 356

3.07/5  rDev -26.7%

2012 bottle. No need to keep this one in the cellar any longer.

Pours a beautiful golden amber, well carbonated.

S :Funky lactic acid. Not overwhelming, but not much else than funky lactic acid. I know sours are often about funk, and acid, but give me something else here. Maybe some lemon/grass if I force myself to find it.

T: Pretty one note. Lactic sourness, not enamel peeling ,but it's by far the dominant flavor. Some lemon juice (damnit, that's lactic acid). I don't know what else to tell you.

M: light, dry. sour. Above average for the style.

O: Not that interesting. Minimal depth or complexity. Nothing to seek out.

3.08/5  rDev -26.5%

Sipping on this one as I type. Batch 1. I had my other batch 1 a few weeks ago around my birthday. I only popped them because of concerns over bottle bombs.

The appearance is a golden red with a quickly dissipating head. The smell is of acidic tartness with a hint of cab. Taste is faint blackberries with some oak, but overall it's just tart.

The mouthfeel is way too f*cking carbonated. It's difficult to sip. The carbonation level of this pretty much kills the drinkability. I struggled getting through the last bottle, and I'm struggling to get through this one.

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%

I am not a sour lover so you have see my review like this. Drank it during an epic BCBS tasting to clean the palet.

3.17/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured in a tulip glass. Pours reddish copper with zero head. Aromatic notes of wood, tannin, dark fruit and spice make Juliet an ideal beer to suggest to Pinot Noir enthusiasts and beer drinkers who are fond of Belgian sour ales. Flavors of tart fruit; definitely a complex ale. While an interesting and complex brew, this did not cut it for me as I am not a big fan of sours myself.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had high hopes for this beer. It poured nicely, a beautiful amber color, but it was so tart it was difficult to drink. I slowed down, thinking that'd make it easier, but it just seemed to get more sour over time. I love sours and goses, but this tasted like neither of those. I don't know how I finished the glass that I had.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

Juliet from Goose Island Beer Co.