Juliet | Goose Island Beer Co.

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States

Style: American Wild Ale

A rye beer aged in French oak (Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon) with blackberries and Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2008

Reviews: 350 | Ratings: 1,555
3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Last beer of the evening (at least for me) at Dyan's the other night.

The beer pours a hazy rose color with good head retention and lacing. Nose is pretty unusual, with a blend of raspberry and sour funk. The funk and sour aren't too overwhelming, and like the flavors on the palate, this is not an intensely aromatic beer. Flavors replicate the nose, but seem just a bit muddled. It comes across as pretty much a dumbed down sour, a beer where the sour dominates but there just isn't all that much flavor. Mouthfeel is fairly light, and the beer is a bit short on the finish. Drinkability is fair in this simple, one dimensionable sour beer from Goose Island.

I guess it's not bad for a first effort, but can't say I was overwhelmingly impressed.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Been sitting on this.

A - bright pink. Huge huge viscous head foamed out the bottle as I opened. Pours enourmously big white head, but went away quick!

S - light raspberry flavor. Not much aroma going on.

T - sweet, starts with sweet raspberries, hits tart with strawberry esters, and finishes dry.

M - very carbonated, overly so. It's bubbly, and not the most pleasing.

D - this beer is made to be drinkable. It's good, and goes down so easy. Drinkable is this beer, but not much else!

3.66/5  rDev -12.6%

The date on this one is Aug. 14 2009. It has a reputation of being a gusher, so I handled it with care over the sink. Poured into a 40cl Allagash glass.

A: It was indeed a bomb which lead to all the muck shooting up through the beer. In turn it poured a hazy deep reddish/purple with a big thin bubbly white head. There is no real retention or lacing due to the extreme carbonation, it fades quickly.

S: The nose is another story. The berries are there, but they are subtly concealed behind a veil of brett, oak, and a puckering lactic sourness. The usual scents of barnyard and leather are unmistakable.

T: The brett has really taken over this beer. The berry flavor is quite muted and the sourness in the nose is not nearly as pronounced as I would have hoped. There is almost no hint of oak anywhere to be found.

M: The over carbonation took away from the flavor and the mouthfeel. Just too bubbly for my liking. It comes off feeling a bit thin.

D: I will finish this bottle easily, but I would not recommend picking up the 2009 if you see it. It is too much of a bubbly mess without the reward.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle to beer-clean tulip. Drunk cool.

A - 4.0 - Beautiful, crystal clear, light cranberry color crossed with amber. Fizzy head that can never summon more than a thin blanket of coverage before fizzing itself out. I did an aggressive pour for the second glass and built up almost two fingers that still fizzed out in under 10 seconds. With a nicer head, this would have been a home run. But for clarity and beautiful color it still scores well enough.

S - 3.75 - A warm smell of mellow spice, fruit tang, the soul of fruit like a strawberry, and a clean sort of funk. Smells nice, with that bretty note tamed by fruit. A bit on the fainter side of the house.

T - 3.5 - While I know this is blackberry, I get more of a cran-apple out of it. It's tart like a milder cranberry juice but quickly transitions to a dry apple note. Finishes notably acidic. After that passes, the aftertaste is like a mix of tannic apple skin and oxidized apple flesh. It isn't particularly complex or rich or deep. Kind of simple. In its favor, I'll say the fruit notes combine with the tame funk in a nice way that almost gives a strawberry impression. That's an interesting balance. In the second pour, I intentionally included the sediment, hoping it would boost the flavor like it does with some beers, but it did a bad thing instead, introducing an overdone bitterness of an unpleasant kind. Ah well. This review is based on the first glass before that since that was my fault.

M - 3.75 - Light and thin body. A bit dry. Back in the salivary glands, it feels a bit like drinking cranberry juice. A quick and mild bit of spritz on swallowing.

O - 3.75 - Disappointing. I think I paid close to $20 for this and I sat on it for a few months until just the right opportunity for it. It wasn't worth it. I wonder if age would have deepened it any. It seemed kind of insubstantial, with its moderate tartness being its main distinguishing feature. Overall it came across like sparkling cran-apple cider, which I can get a lot cheaper and which isn't what I want when I want a beer, though I recognize that things like gueuzes come across this way on purpose. That makes it kind of hard to rate, because as a sparkling cran-apple cider, it's pretty good. But as a beer it falls short. My instinct was to drink this one colder than I usually drink my special beers, but I didn't want to risk numbing my palate so I did the usual slightly cool. Now I wish I had chilled it fully. I think I'd have enjoyed it more just as a refreshing cold drink since the taste didn't wow me or stand out.

For context, 3.75 on my personal scale is "better than average" while 3.5 is "average for craft" and 3.0 is "average for all". Beeradvocate has added "outstanding" next to 4.0 in the past year which for me means a lesser "very good".

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Thanks timmi!!!!

Pours a very murky, cloudy deep amber almost brown color. There is a soda pop like head that fades quick and also tons of small pellet sediment.

Smells sour and earthy, the kind of the smell you get in the produce section of a grocery store. There is an underlying sweetness and a sort of locker room funk to it as well.

The taste is wine forward for sure, there is a tannic bitterness that reminds me of Cabernet. But the fruity black berries really remind me of a Pinot Noir. There is a definite funk in the middle of the taste spectrum accompanied by a sour push that is very balanced. The aftertaste carries a very dry finish and the tannic nature shines through gripping the sides of your tongue.

The mouthfeel leads you to believe that you are drinking sparkling wine, very thin and moderately dry. Carbonation is pretty heavy, but fades quite a bit as the brew warms.

The bomber won't be hard to finish, but this is not something that you would drink more than one of. Moderately low ABV, but it will definitely kill your palate for a while.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing an aged Juliet (2010) from Goose Island Brewing Company.
Score: 86

Shared a 22 oz bomber from the Goose Island brew pub in a goblet-wine flute hybrid on Black Friday.

Appearance: Pours a red velvet cake color. Fizzy-apparent, no head on pour. 3.5/5

Smell: Sweet cherry/raspberry sour candy. Fruity. A little sugary and sour. 3.5/5

Taste: Very sweet-and-tart cherry/raspberry candy. Almost like a warhead candy (if you remember those). Dry white wine and some berries too. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and sweet. Light bodied, high carbonation. Sweet, crisp finish. 3.5/5

Overall: A decent brew, but my not style of beer. Too sweet for my liking. Reminds me a lot of the Ephemere by Unibroue and Raspberry Tart by New Glarus. Was certainly worth trying, but I will not seek this one out again (especially at its price tag).

Recommendation: I would absolutely recommend this one to casual beer drinkers and people who "do not like to drink beer," but this beer is a bit too sweet-and-sugary for my liking. It certainly has a fizzy-candy appeal to it.

Pairings: A salad served with balsamic and/or sharp cheddar. Earthy cheeses would work well with this one, as would pretzels.

Cost: $25 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle at the bar (which, in my opinion, is way overpriced).

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

2009 vintage poured from a 22oz bottle into my Allagash glass. It poured reddish amber in color with a full and active white head overflowing from the glass.

The aroma has a good dose of sourness to it. I get some sharp, acidic notes followed by some tart, fruity flavors. I get a little of a blackberry or cherry flavor coming out as well as just a hint of the oak barrel.

The taste shows more of the sharp sourness to it up front. It's a little acidic but not too bad. In the finish more of the fruity, blackberry, cherry like flavors come out and bring some tartness with them. A good amount of earthy Brett shows in the finish as well. It's more towards the acidic and tart side than the funky sour side. It's good, but didn't have the depth of some of the best in the style.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style and carbonation is very high. Overall it was a pretty good beer, but not one of the best of the style. It felt lacking depth at times and a little acidic as well. I enjoyed it, but the Cisco sour I had earlier was much better.

3.72/5  rDev -11.2%

2010 bottle into an Unibroue tulip. Big thanks to Tony for sharing this long-time want; the only bottle of this I managed to buy exploded before I got it home from the store, so I'm glad finally to get to try it.

A: Clear orange-maroon body with a few floaties; brief flicker of coarse off-white head. Mediocre.

S: Big brett funk combined with intensely vinous barrel notes. Dry, oaky, funky, and maybe with a touch of plastic. It's not bad at all (I love the strong red wine notes), but I'm missing the fruit.

T: Acetic tartness, red wine, oak, brett, and finally a touch of blackberry on the finish. The fruit really lends some welcome balance to the dry, sour intensity. Tasty.

M: Creamy, lively body; huge carbonation. Fun.

O: This one was good enough, but I found its yeast and barrel characters to be both too strong and too unbalanced with the fruit to make it a really great beer. I'd gladly drink it any day, but the thought of trying to make it through a whole bottle doesn't exactly make my mouth water. There are better sours out there for better prices.

3.74/5  rDev -10.7%

2009 Vintage. Bottled August 14.

Appearance: Pours a hazed, reddish-pink body with a very tall, rather fizzy, lightly pink head.

Smell: Airy nose of tart-scented berry-based spread, oak-based barrels, and a particularly small spoonful of salty bleu cheese crumbles tucked in back.

Taste: There's a brief, light opening of sweet maltiness. A handful of berries, both ripened and unripened, firmly funky barnyard phenolics, and with a robust, zesty oak wood presence throughout. Though blackberries were used, it all keeps coming up tartish raspberries. Not overtly flavorful, the fruit, though ample for the proceedings. Modesty lactic. Cracklingly acidic. You'll likely pucker. One drop of lemon juice, then a continued subtle fruitiness into the dry, fizzy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Highly carbonated.

Drinkability: There's freely wild funkiness, there's fruit, and plenty of bubbles. Interesting and enjoyable for a bottle's worth.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Lolita yesterday, Juliet today – it’s a Goose Island week. This one’s aged in Cabernet barrels, just like Lolita, but with blackberries instead of raspberries and with some rye in the grain bill.

Brewed about four months before the date of this tasting (“BOTTLED: 01/26/12”).

A: Another sparkling grape juice appearance: loads of bubbles in a thin, pinkish-plum body. The head appears for a brief second, popping wistfully away in a flash of fizz – a few spots of lacing and only a hint of cream along the outside for retention.

S: Lovely, popping fruitiness; enjoyable as ever. Comes off with a blackberry tartness and a bright aroma of raspberry and white grape juice; very reminiscent of Pinot Noir. The clovey funk of brett is evident, as well, but not dizzyingly so, showing up as just a mild herbal note of depth. Pumpernickel bread, white pepper, wet oak, and Belgian scents of estery yeast in the back end.

T: Very, very much like olive juice at first sip; almost enough lactic acid to turn me off. But sometimes that’s how sours go, so I stuck it out (though it still bugged me throughout the drink). Underneath is a bright flavor of blackberry, ripe blueberries, and lemonade, but with a tannic barrier preventing it from being too fruity – that is, it’s earthy and balanced in its fruit character. The biggest grain flavors are just that: light, indistinguishable grains, with just a moderate touch of rye flavor. Rhubarb, dried cherry, and sour apple come through with a mix of oak and vanilla yogurt (barrel notes). The yeast presence of banana and clove makes the aftertaste feel like I’ve just had a hefeweizen, those earthy flavors abounding.

M: Thicker and smoother than Lolita, which is odd because it’s actually 1% ABV less. It’s likely because of the more subdued carbonation in this one; it’s slightly fizzy, but only slightly.

O: Though it’s a good mix of solid flavors, this beer is not without its weaknesses (mainly the huge presence of lactic acid). Still, it would go wonderfully with a variety of entrees, or cheeses, for that matter. Makes me even more excited for Madame Rose…

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

2009 vintage - attempts to gush on opening, but I craftly contain it. Huge soapy and rocky head. Lots of floaties sadly, they look like sea monkies. It is a beer of pale reddish color. Aromatics of brett, funk, some light fruity notes. The nose is very muted. On drinking you can certainly tell there is rye in this beer from the spicy hit. Some fruit and funk, black berries are there, some razz flavor too.
Over carbonated at first and just sort of explodes in your mouth, scrubing bubbles style. After time the bubbles calm down. Perhaps age was not kind to this ale, I remember it being much better fresh.

3.77/5  rDev -10%

(22oz bottle courtesy of cosmicevan!). Pours hazy cranberry juice color with no real head and light carbonation. Aroma of cheap wine, ripe fruit and wood. Taste is both tart and sweet. This beer has more funk than the other sisters. Medium bodied with a dry finish. The wine is very prominent in this beer and the tannins are quite noticeable. Good, but I prefer the other sisters.

3.77/5  rDev -10%

2009 release acquired from pochman courtesy of BA Secret Santa 2009 so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a flute glass.

A: The beer is a bright reddish amber color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin on the glass.

S: The aroma contains Belgian yeast, tart berries, light caramelized malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out very sour with flavors of grapes and berries plus some potent wild Belgian yeast. There is a thin malt character and a very faint touch of hops as you would expect from this type of beer. I can appreciate the intense sourness and if that’s what you like, then this beer will appeal to you, but to me it seems like any actual taste gets over-powered. The after-taste is tart.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, it’s a decent beer overall but there are better sour beers out there.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Vintage 2010. Drank in January, 2015 (with some notes from the 2009 I just drank as well)

Appearance: pours a brownish red with some purplish hues to it. a finger or just more of a white bubbly head with weak retention and a very small lacing. pretty dark and some haze but some clarity and brightness to it. (2009 bottle almost exploded when I opened it. bigger head and better retention)

Smell: funky yeast and red wine grapes. slightly spicy red wine, weaker and sweet fruitiness. (aroma on 09 was very faded)

Taste: opens with a strong funky yeast and some strong oak. red wine barrels blast in with spicy flavors and red wine grapes. backend has a light berry sweetness and a little bit of earthy and oaky yeast. (09 was very bland and almost tasteless in comparison. almost no funk or red wine, just fairly weak and bland fruit)

Mouthfeel: sticky and tongue coating. moderate body and leaves behind some earthy funk (09 was light and insignificant. carbonation was extremely sharp)

Overall: I drank the 2009 first and gave up most hope for the beer. the 2010 was much better. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle of 2009 or if its just past its prime but 2010 is much better.

3.77/5  rDev -10%

A: Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a deep ruby red color with a thin white head that quickly dissipates into nothing. The beer then almost appears flat. Not totally transparent but very clean. Almost wine like.

S: Earthy, sour funk but pleasing. Wonderful perfume that lingers. Subtle alcohol. Citrus

T: Very tart and sour. Pucker up baby! Subtle sweetness up front with notes of oak and citrus. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Light bodied with tiny bubbles that dance on the tongue.

O: A very interesting sour beer. I think that it is a good representation of the style.

3.77/5  rDev -10%

A - This beer pours a nice ruby copper color. It has a small thin off-white head on it. The head falls to a small ring rather quickly, leaving no lace behind.

S - It smells pretty tart and acidic. There is a ton of Brett present as well as some muted berry scents. Also, I am getting some oak, leather, and some earthiness.

T - The taste starts off with an acidic tartness and a big bunch of Brett. There is some sour fruit and berry flavors. There is some spiciness from the rye malt and quite a bit of dryness from the brett. It is quite sour, but there is just a little bit of sweetness that helps balance it out.

M - This has a medium body and tingly carbonation. It goes down easy and has a fizzy feel to it. It has some mouth puckering sourness as well as a dry finish.

O - This is a very drinkable beer. I could easily keep drinking glasses of this tasty brew. Overall, I thought it was a very nice sour. I just wish the berry flavor wasn't masked so much by the brett. Other than that, I thought it was great. I would buy it again.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

I got a bottle of this from the extremely generous sholland119. Thanks, Scott! This batch was bottled Aug 14, 2009

The pour is gorgeous, a beautiful crimson color with excellent clarity and a large, bubbly pinkish-white head that falls off choppily. Plenty of carbonation is visible as well, this is one very attractive beer.

The nose is great too, quite Bretty with a definite bandaid character, some barnyard and a nice, fruity component with a lot of berry character. The reserved acidity and mellow fruit character sets the blackberry character apart as unique from other berried-beers. Solid stuff, there's a mild vinegar character too.

The flavor palate opens with a distinct lactic and vinegar character, with the combination of clean lactic acid and high carbonation bringing to mind a good Berliner Weiss. Vinegar component is clean and mellow, akin to white wine vinegar. The blackberry character is quite well-expressed (reserved and non as strong as it could be, though). Fruity sweetness is apparent through the midpalate, along with a relatively reserved funk character, with grassy barnyard notes. Vanilla sweetness and a mild tannic character appear towards the drying finish, one that's a little disappointing in being a little watery. Light in body with high carbonation, this feels quite good on the palate, but didn't wow me as much as I was expecting. A little more body, and a shift from a lactic acid driven palate to a funkier one with a little more vinegar would make this beer truly wonderful. I'm also not sure I pick up much vinous character, and some of that would make this beer pretty epic. All told, a great wild ale, especially for a first attempt.

Edit: The addition of the yeast to the beer does improve the feel, specifically the body, a little bit and goes a someway towards improving the complexity, almost to the point where I'd give the taste a 4, but not quite.

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

765ml brown glass bottle with classily sparse label and purple foil-ed over branded black/silver pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local CO bottle shop for ~$30.00 USD and served into a Belgian Independence Day stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. 8% ABV confirmed per the label. Bottled: 01 Aug 2013. Reviewed as the style it identifies as: "Belgian style wild ale."

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of white colour and intense effervescent fizziness which recedes inside 10 seconds, leaving no lacing. Carbonation is very active to the extent that it's reminiscent of champagne.

Body colour is a semitransparent translucent pink with orange hues. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible. Average vibrance. Unfortunately, it's a bit weak looking - almost watery. I'm concerned but optimistic.

Appearance is consistent with the conventions of a wild ale.

Sm: Has a nice lactic sourness over pleasant bursts of bright wild berries and slightly tart fruit. I don't find the blackberry per se, but I could see raspberry. It's hard to find the Belgian yeast in there too; I don't doubt that there's a souring yeast strain or two, but most of the sourness feels bacterial. I do pick up subtle wine notes as well as ample white grapeskin. It's a biteen floral, but not in a hop-derived sense. Any malt foundation is hidden beneath the guiding sourness.

No alcohol or other off-notes are detectable. A pleasant aroma of mild to moderate strength. It doesn't seem as acidic as many sours.

T: Wonderful bursts of tart berry and fruity grapeskin blend beautifully with a guiding prominent lactic sourness - which is very bacterial yet still clean. There's some very buried complementary floral hop character which adds a bit of complexity. The malt bill - which I assume is mainly Belgian pale malts alongside clean barley - is completely obscured by the sourness. Notes of wine - white, red, rose, I can't quite tell - play well with the acidic sourness. I don't find any tannins. There's no oak or wood barrel notes per se, but I like what's present. The barrel aging certainly did the flavour profile well and has made a perceptible difference, which is more than I can say about a lot of beers.

Good depth and intensity of flavour. Above average duration of flavour; it's full and evocative but doesn't linger or carry much aftertaste. Good complexity and subtlety. It's not nuanced per se, nor is it particularly intricate, but here the balance is enough to impress. I'd call it a gestalt build; you couldn't take anything out without negatively affecting the overall flavour.

Mf: Crisp, clean, and near perfectly acidic, with a smacky almost puckering presence on the palate. Fizzy as hell with almost ideal carbonation. Good thickness and body for the style. The texture is certainly complementary of the taste to the extent that it almost feels custom-tailored specifically to it. Fantastic execution.

Not oily, harsh, astringent, gushed, hot, or boozy. None of the weakness of the appearance is manifested here.

Dr: Extremely drinkable in spite of its acidity. I could easily kill this bottle alone. This is about a 7 in terms of sourness, and will please the discerning drinker. If it wasn't so unreasonably priced I'd definitely buy it again. I'm hesitant to recommend it to friends - it isn't worth $30 - but I'm glad I got to try it once. I can see why it currently has a 95 rating, but I can't say it's world class per se. Just a damn good sour I'm really digging. Easily my favourite of the 4 Goose Island sisters.

A solid sour from Goose Island which is triple the price it should be.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Feeding a recent sour craving, I reached for Juliet, received in a trade with CooperEllis. Bottled August 2009. Let's see how she's aged.

Looks: Holy head, batman! As soon as it touches my tulip glass, the beer explodes into rosy foam. I pour as much as I can and manage to fill up about a fourth of the glass with liquid -- the rest is bubbles. We're talking four whole fingers of pinkish, foamy suds. It eventually settles to a finger-thick layer, but shows no signs of leaving after that. The beer itself is a hazy rose-orange, a lovely color. Juliet's a pretty girl.

Smells: very tart and heavily oaky. I see from Goose Island's website that this one was aged in Cabernet barrels with blackberries. The wine barrel has left a definite mark upon Juliet -- the wooded, vanilla oakiness reigns supreme in the aroma. I don't get much blackberry, but I do notice fruity flavors of cranberry, orange and some light raspberry mixed with sweet honey and floral rose petals. Very nice.

Tastes: like unfulfilled expectations. The nose had me expecting big, fruity flavors and lots of complexity, but the follow-through, frankly, is disappointing. At first, a blast of tart cherries and the lightest hints of sweet blackberry, honey and citrus hit. The oak is there as well. But that's it. There's very little complexity here. The sourness is pretty subdued, but lingers nicely.

Feels: medium-light-bodied and highly carbonated, the beer acts in my mouth the way I saw it in my glass: as soon as it moves at all, it foams up like toothpaste. This, however, isn't completely unpleasant.

Drinks: forgettably. Juliet's nice and drinkable, but as wild ales go, she's run-of-the-mill. Too little sourness and not enough supporting flavors.

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%

2009 Vintage. Been looking forward to this one for a looong time.

A= Huge bottle gusher. Right when I open it up it flies out of the bottle. The pour is a deep hazy amber color with a big soda like head on it. The head falls fast into a thin soda like layer on top of the glass. Little lacing on the side of the glass.

S= The smell is a very deep berry flavor. Tons of sour tart notes and a little of the winey stuff going on.

T= A nice soda like taste again. A little light on the flavor however. Good berry taste to it but not really as powerful as I would have liked. A nice sour note to it as well but again not the powerful flavors I expect. Nice taste however.

M= Nice bright and bubbly. The mouthfeel is wonderful.

O= Is this the beer it has been hyped to be? Not in my opinion. I wish I could but it regularly and I enjoy the hell out of it but there are better sours around. If GI decided to distribute this here however I would buy a ton of it and love it like a small child. A tasty beer indeed.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The bottle gushed a bit when I first opened it. The first pour was mostly head. On the second pour, I got a ruby/pink/rose color with 1 finger of white bubbles that stayed around for a little while. A bit of lacing as well. Kind of looks like ruby red grapfruit juice with bubbles.

In the nose, I can smell brett, grapefruit, hay, barnyard aromas, lemon zest, and I think some oak.

Lots of citrus. The initial flavors I get are grapefruit, lemon zest, tart green apples, and oak. The aftertaste is mostly grapefruit and lemon zest. Dry finish but not desiccating. This beer reminds me of champagne in the taste. A bit tart and slightly sour but not overpowering. I was expecting this beer to be a lot more sour and funky.

Prickly carbonation. Champagne like. A bit too over carbonated for my tastes but didnt hinder the drinkability. I thought the beer was a slight bit watery as well. I would have liked a slightly thicker mouthfeel.

Highly drinkable stuff. Not overly sour or tart. The dry finish leaves you wanting another sip. I could not detect the alcohol at all.

A nice example of the style. I was just hoping the beer would be more complex. Not worth the $15 I paid for the bottle.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

pour is a dark transparent ruby red with a beige tiny bubbled head. Nose is heavy tart berry, fair amount of dry wood, hints of lacto and vanilla, light Brett leather note. Taste is heavy sour dark berry, lightly lactic. Wood isnt there near as much as the nose. Body is lightly dry, a hint syrupy, rather puckering and highly carbonated. Not bad, pretty sour, strong berry note, not too much else.

Juliet | 650 ml. | 6.7% ABV | 2009 vintage

Brewer: Goose Island
Style: American Wild Ale
Glass: 22 oz. wine glass

Fantastic label design. This time the "Juliet" is in purple

This one's a major gusher: I popped the cap and was greeted with a most unpleasant frothy explosion. Be warned. Once the foam settled, and I had cleaned up the spot on my carpet, I could enjoy Juliet's hazy, rose hue and turbulent, rocky head -- a thing of beauty.

Light tart brett up front, with mild/complex funky notes, and a fresh dark blueberry juice and strawberry tones. There's a definite oaky red wine smell in my carpet as well.

Brett kick upfront as well as in the aftertaste. In the middle is bitter strawberry and flat raspberry tones. Ends crisply, not too sour.

Very fizzy, perhaps overly carbonated. Tart and dry.

Somehow it all works.

Would I get it again?:
Maybe in a year or so, not in a rush.

Bottled on: Aug 14, 2009 (11 months ago)
Served on: July 16, 2010

Price = ?

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

765 ml bottle 2013 vintage. Bottled on August 1st 2013. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a dark red-ish orange color along with a slight purple hue. What little head there was in the pour dissipated instantly, almost like a soda leaving no cap, collar or lace. Body is hazy with some very fine visible carbonation streaming throughout the glass.

Smell: First thing I'm noticing right away is a big lactic sour character. After that it's blackberry, leather, oak, red wine grape, as well as a general red berry character that I can't quite pinpoint exactly.

Taste: Follows the nose pretty closely with an intense lacto character, almost yogurt like, being most prominent. There's quite a bit of barrel character as well with notes of oak and bold red wine flavors along with leather and maybe a hint of tobacco.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with low medium levels of fine carbonation. Sourness, while not enamel stripping, is relatively high. Alcohol is hidden well through the finish leaving only a gentile warming sensation in the back of the throat.

Overall: Another good one from Goose Island. I'd like to see them tone down the lactic character a bit, as it detracted a bit from some of the the other complexities of the beer, but not so much so that it wasn't still enjoyable. Worth picking up if you find it reasonably priced.

***Update 10/18/2015***

Cellared bottle from same vintage and date

Much clearer appearance than previous review (bottle has been sitting basically undisturbed for 2+ years). Flavors and aroma much more balanced and well integrated after some aging. Not a lacto bomb like the fresh bottle and also surprisingly less sour. Sourness is still high, but not as abrasive as it was. Some age has definitely done this beer some good. Easily prefer it to the fresh bottle I had in 2013.

A: 3.75, S: 4.25, T: 4.25, M: 3.75, O: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

pretty heavy carbonation
slight bubbly white head
settles very quickly smattering of bubbles
light cloudy plum color
light lacing quickly retreats into brew

tropical fruit
maybe some banana and papaya
light spiced

light non-distinctive fruit but not overly sweet

has a light and carbonated feel
steely aftertaste

nice drinkability

Juliet from Goose Island Beer Co.