Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Juliet | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
JulietJuliet

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

A rye beer aged in French oak (Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon) with blackberries and Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2008

Reviews: 347 | Ratings: 1,533
4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle dated 12/11/2010. Pours a pinkish red with good off-white head. No lacing. Not cloudy, but not entirely clear either.

Aroma isn't that easy to describe--sour funkiness, tart raspberries, some sweet berries. Not overly sour. Very inviting.

Mouth puckering sourness upfront. Unripe fruit skins and a general fruitiness. Middle is less sour and more neutral. Increased sour flavor at the finish. Lingering blackberry tartness.

Medium body, higher carbonation. Fizzy. Clean finish.

Good sourness that isn't so dominate that other flavors can't come through. Great aroma. Flavor seems kind of basic, but has a nice authentic fruit taste.

2/21/2011

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

2013 765ml. Let this one age for at least a year. One of the best tart/fruit brews I've tasted recently. My favorite out of the Goose Island sister series. I'll be buying a few to sit for awhile.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Goose Island chalice
2010 vintage

A: Pours a beautiful, slightly hazy ruby color. No head, no lacing. 4.5/5

S: Smells like barnyard funk and berries. A little bit of tartness to complement a mostly sweet smell. 4/5

T: Funkiness is the first thing I notice. It builds quickly until I can feel my mouth watering. At the same time, luscious blackberry flavor becomes prominent. Very sweet and fruity. Some funky flavors but not very strong. Primarily tart and blackberry. 4.5/5

M: Light-medium bodied with a good amount of effervescent carbonation. 4/5

O: Fantastic. I would say that this beer is better than Lolita. The blackberry flavor really lends itself to the tartness. 4.5/5

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle to beer-clean tulip. Drunk cool.

A - 4.0 - Beautiful, crystal clear, light cranberry color crossed with amber. Fizzy head that can never summon more than a thin blanket of coverage before fizzing itself out. I did an aggressive pour for the second glass and built up almost two fingers that still fizzed out in under 10 seconds. With a nicer head, this would have been a home run. But for clarity and beautiful color it still scores well enough.

S - 3.75 - A warm smell of mellow spice, fruit tang, the soul of fruit like a strawberry, and a clean sort of funk. Smells nice, with that bretty note tamed by fruit. A bit on the fainter side of the house.

T - 3.5 - While I know this is blackberry, I get more of a cran-apple out of it. It's tart like a milder cranberry juice but quickly transitions to a dry apple note. Finishes notably acidic. After that passes, the aftertaste is like a mix of tannic apple skin and oxidized apple flesh. It isn't particularly complex or rich or deep. Kind of simple. In its favor, I'll say the fruit notes combine with the tame funk in a nice way that almost gives a strawberry impression. That's an interesting balance. In the second pour, I intentionally included the sediment, hoping it would boost the flavor like it does with some beers, but it did a bad thing instead, introducing an overdone bitterness of an unpleasant kind. Ah well. This review is based on the first glass before that since that was my fault.

M - 3.75 - Light and thin body. A bit dry. Back in the salivary glands, it feels a bit like drinking cranberry juice. A quick and mild bit of spritz on swallowing.

O - 3.75 - Disappointing. I think I paid close to $20 for this and I sat on it for a few months until just the right opportunity for it. It wasn't worth it. I wonder if age would have deepened it any. It seemed kind of insubstantial, with its moderate tartness being its main distinguishing feature. Overall it came across like sparkling cran-apple cider, which I can get a lot cheaper and which isn't what I want when I want a beer, though I recognize that things like gueuzes come across this way on purpose. That makes it kind of hard to rate, because as a sparkling cran-apple cider, it's pretty good. But as a beer it falls short. My instinct was to drink this one colder than I usually drink my special beers, but I didn't want to risk numbing my palate so I did the usual slightly cool. Now I wish I had chilled it fully. I think I'd have enjoyed it more just as a refreshing cold drink since the taste didn't wow me or stand out.

For context, 3.75 on my personal scale is "better than average" while 3.5 is "average for craft" and 3.0 is "average for all". Beeradvocate has added "outstanding" next to 4.0 in the past year which for me means a lesser "very good".

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A-Pours a dark orange with some pink. Lots of carbonation at the beginning, but settles pretty quickly. Almost no head to speak of.

S-Definite sourness and fruit will hit you right up front, but the wine and wild yeast becomes apparent later on to round it out. Very complex with the right amount of funk.

T-Tart berries and slight brett flavors. Very similiar to the way it smells. The blackberries weren't apparent right off the bat, but I did catch some green apple. All around crisp.

M-Fairly carbonated, but great mouthfeel. The wine barrels seem to give it a bit of a dryness, but in a good way.

O-Overall, a great sour. The tartness was balanced with the dry, crispness of the wine and wild yeast, even if can be a bit overwhelming in the long run. It's worth a try if you're willing to shell out the money and I'm looking forward to trying their other sours.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

22oz bottle poured into my Matilda wine glass...Batch 1 - Bottled January 2009...

Pours a slightly hazy ruby/orange...pinkish, slightly rosy...one finger of soft-white head with a pink hue, dissipates very quickly. This beer did not experience any gushing or other over-carb issues...

Tart, tangy and acidic in the nose. Sour ripe fruits, nice berry presence and some great wild yeast funkiness...complex and beautiful, one of the better smelling sours I have ever experienced...

Taste follows the nose...nicely tart and sweet, good ripe berry flavor. Slightly funky, nice and woody and dry...Complex like the nose, different tastes emerging as I drink. Finishes dry and kind of spicy...

I like a my sours to be spritzy, this one sure is, but not at all over-carbonated like many others have experienced. Nice and bubbly, light bodied and tingly...refreshing...

Incredible beer from Goose Island. One of my favorite new beers over the last 1.5 years or so...hope none of the other bottles I have are over-carbed like so many say...

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Bottle opened to a surprising overflow... after a run to the sink, Juliet pours a bright red with hints of pink and purple. A gentle pour gives an inch of white/pink head with small purple specks here and there. Settles down and leaves about a 1/4 inch with decent lacing.
S- Lots of fruit... Cherries, raspberries, even a bit of blueberry up front, with some oak, red wine and funk in the back.
T- Not nearly as much going on in the taste as there is in the smell. Taste at first reminds me of a Tomme cheese, then opens up to strawberries, grassy barnyard hay funk provides a slightly sour, almost bitter flavor. An almost unpleasantly odd sour berry/antiseptic bitterness in the finish.
M- Light body, very dry highly carbonated mouthfeel finishes clean and astringent. Carbonation isnt over the top like some wild/sours ive had but compliments the dryness.
D- This beer seems to have everything going on for it but the taste... Hopefully it will get better as I adjust to the sourness. Not sure if I will be able to finish this bottle on my own, but still enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Jan 2009 batch, 22 oz bottle poured into a snifter. Poured a light red, grapefruit color. Slightly hazy, almost brownish in the center. Some light sediment with small round seeds.

Smell is fruity with sour notes and grapes.

Really nice on the sourness. Citrus hints topped with wine and grapefruit. Blackberries are quite present and give it a dark sweetness to it.

Its tart, but its not overly sour and doesn't have that sour punch to the mouth.

This is really a nicely blended brew. Its a nicely done sour from GI and I'm glad I stumbled upon this one. It was a pleasant surprise to be able to try this one and I'm glad I didn't end up trading it away as I was originally intending to do.

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into snifter glasses.

A: Good amber color. Virtually no head.

S: Very heavy oak that mixes in with the acidity for an almost gasoline-like or white-out-like smell. I think there may be jam flavors in there, as well.

T: Heavy oak - even tree sap. Not all that sour, actually. Some bitterness (balanced by sourness / oakiness) in the finish. Light berry flavors.

M: Fairly light and very drinkable. Mine wasn't very carbonated.

O: It's well-balanced, other than the overwhelming oakiness, and has "interesting meta-flavors," but lacks subtlety and complexity.

Appearance: Amber/red in color. Subtle off-white head that fades slowly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: tart, red-wine vinegar, peppery, earthy, red fruit.

Taste: red fruit, tart, peppery, vinegar, earthy, black berries, vinous, vanilla, cola, sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, tart.

Overall: A good sour. The black berries are very prevalent. Fairly complex. Drinkability is good.

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

The aroma was great with hints of citrus, blackberry, and sour cherries galore. The beer poured a hazy orange color with just a slight head and good lacing. The flavor was an immediate sour cherry, almost overwhelmingly so. I got a faint hint of the blackberry, wood and spice. My major problem with this beer is that it had no body to it at all. It had the mouthfeel of sherbet mixed with 7up. I like effervescence in my beer, but this tasted like sour punch without the sugar. There's a nice alcohol finish to it and it's pretty well rounded on the finish...I just really wanted more body to it.

4.4/5  rDev +5%

Appearance is a orangish pink. Light carbonation upon initial pour which dissipates into just a subtle amount of bubbles hiding unless you hold the glass closely up to light. I smell barnyard funk, straight brett. There is a dryness exemplified by the wine barrel on the back end. Tastes juicy, with the blackberry fruit bursting at each sip. The Brett character is apparent definitely keeping the sweetness in check. Carbonation is light on the palate, but I think it's just fine for the style. Overall a nice American wild that showcases great fruit character. I loved this and the Lolita I had a few nights back.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type: Bottle (dated 7.31.15)
Consumed: 12.24.15

A: 4.5 Pours a clear, reddish gold with a small, off-white head. Not much in the way of retention or lacing.

S: 4.5 As soon as the bottle was opened, blackberries fill the room. Intense berries are followed closely by floral funk, lemon, and some medicinal, raspberry aromas. Mild oak and vanilla start so show up as the beer warms.

T: 4.25 Flavors start off pleasantly tart with jammy blackberries and berry skins followed by funk and medicinal berry flavors. Some sweetness and oak come through, balancing out the tartness before finishing with mild dryness and more lemon and berries on the aftertaste.

M: 4.25 The body is really nice and silky. A bit more carbonation would really go a long way with this beer.

O: 4.25 Plenty of fruit flavor, good oak quality, nice tartness and funk. It’s also nice how consistent Goose Island is with their sours; Juliet has a lot of similar flavors as Lolita. Overall, this is a really solid blackberry sour.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Beautiful raspberry colored body, some orange hues in the middle, white head which dies out quickly.

S- Sweet lactose notes, lemon acidic character, lots of sour berries.

T- Really tart but palettable, its decently balanced not crazy sour as some reviewers claim. I find the sourness tamed by the lactose notes im picking up, it calms it and translates into vanilla notes to balance out the tartness.

M- Moderate carbonation, light feel on the palette.

D- Very tasty, i really appreciated the vanilla notes to calm the sour, it made this wild ale really accessible for me.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Light-pinkish-brown with a lot of visible yeast. There's not much head or lacing.

S - Cranberry, orange, vinegar, and funk.

T - A touch of vinegar and some raspberry are noticeable first, with more sour notes and some orange rind kicking in next and continuing through the end. This isn't overly complex, but it's very tasty.

M - Light, crisp, and well-carbonated.

D - Pretty good. Pretty good.

Note to Goose Island - distribute this to Wisconsin. Please.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Consumed in Orval chalice.

Pours a unique grapefruit meat pink and peach. Dark and hazy. Very thin white creamy head with hints of pink against the body color of the beer.

Aroma has a light tartness and what I could be describe as a champaign quality - may be the wood, spice, and berry for this. A very slight touch of funk on the aroma.

Taste - the Pinot Noir comparison on the GI description is bery appropriate. Dark fruit but very light. I suspect this may be bottled with Champaign yest as I pick it up on the aroma and again in the flavor. If so, or in any case, it lends a very dry, crisp finish to the beer.

Obviously a lot going on with this beer - wild, berries, oak, and various yeasts. Full mouthfeel with an enjoyable dry finish that doesn't carries the appropriate flavors (not sweet or too much).

Plenty of random micro bubble lacing from the creamy head.

I'll be interested to see how my remaining three bottles develop over the years. I look forward to less wine/fruit and more wild/funk and sour.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Review number 200. Courtesy of Sholland119 for tossing this in our latest trade. Thank you Scott!

I read that this was a gusher...so I had my chouffe n'ice glass ready. Still shortly after the cracking of the cap I was assaulted by pink foam. Caught the majority of it.

Pours a light red with bright highlights when held to the light. after the initial 4 finger head off a gentle pour a nice one finger head that leaves some splotches on the side of the glass. Remaining head stays strong for a good deal of time. Fifteen minutes into drinking it and I still got some head. Looking good.

Smell is slightly musky. a sweet/tart berry cuts through the musky scent like a champ.

Great tartness on first sip as well as a big appearance of the wine barrel in the taste. A decent yeasty quality in the back ends but not to much. Very balanced. I can't get enough of this blackberry it hits in spades as the beer warms.

It might be a touch over carbonated but I really dont seem to mind. leaves a pleasant taste on the palate. Dry and delicious.

I am onto my second pour as I write this so is Juliet drinkable? I would say so.

Great experience with this. Thanks again to Scott. This is going right back onto my wants list.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Goose Island Juliet 6.7% Wild Ale

A: Deep amber and light ruby notes, almost no carbonation, no lacing, very tame in body not very sticky

S: Huge wild notes, funk vinegar, grape peels, sour blackberries, tart wood finish

T: The fruits are more mellow, but refreshing. I willd rarely give Consecration a run for its money but this is very on point for the style and finish. I ultimately love the oaky and high abv of the Consecration but this is just fantastic. The vinous notes are supported with background sweetness and the tannins are great and add a layer of complexity to it.

M: It is very light in maltiness, thank god, and lets the fruits and wild aspect take charge with the full character. The drying fruit skin notes resonate for just long enough to make you want to reengage. I love that it doesn’t cop out the indistinct sweet/cider route or try to be a gueuze in disguise. This is distinctively sour and the experience is top notch.

D: All. Day. Long. This is a great beer and the abv makes it universally accessible and great to offer anyone. The light character with HUGE taste makes a crazy synergy that makes me want multiple bombers of this. If I had more patience, I would age it further and enjoy the mellowed version but, I do not and it is great as it is.

Narrative: Juliet knew she had something special to her. At first it was just idle whispers when she was younger. As she came of age, she learned to hone in on the narratives and focus in on the voices in her head. She had learned to learn a lot of things from the flowers, especially in the month of June. It was an ethereal talent that really did not give her any special insight to the world, but it was a power her own. “JULEZ? Are you still sitting out in the boysenberry patch?” Her conversation was interrupted abruptly and she had to put the rhododendron on hold. “Yeah mom, hang on.” The flowers really just complained and imparted sour notes into her life, but, somehow being so in sync with the idle problems of the flora made he feel whole. Juliet was a sweet minx, but sour through and through.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

'10

A: Red with amber and brown notes. Frog skim.

S: Moderate tartness and nair quivering. Apple musk and to a lesser extent, sauce. Alcohol.

T: Some mo sauce, a touch of tomato with the apple to start. Neutrally takes it's time in limbo until a pickled twist. Too much like pickled vegetables, even though it's modest.

M: Pretty forgiving on the tongue, pretty harsh on the esoph. Medium carbonation, light on the prickles.

O: Best colder. I still liked a lot and will get again.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had high hopes for this beer. It poured nicely, a beautiful amber color, but it was so tart it was difficult to drink. I slowed down, thinking that'd make it easier, but it just seemed to get more sour over time. I love sours and goses, but this tasted like neither of those. I don't know how I finished the glass that I had.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber poured into a snifter, no tulips on hand. Bottled 1/26/12.

A - Pours a light red with some purple highlights. Thin white head collapses to a small white ring around the outside of the glass. Has great clarity.

S - A small hint of tartness but not fruity. Also a glimpse of some delicate brett funk that increases with temp. Mellow alcohol is noticeable alongside oak for great complexity.

T - Starts with some spicy rye malt and cherry like sweetness but a wave of crippling tart/acidic body catches me off guard. The little bit of fruitiness hidden, I believe to be from the blackberries. Not very sweet whatsoever. Delicate brett flavor follows the nose with equal nuance. Has a pleasant lingering acidic bite to its finish.

M - Light body, light carbonation. Lingering tartness.

O - Evaluating this beer is tough. I don't know if it should be more of a sour summer/refreshing beer with light brett characters and lighter acidity or bigger and more complex overall. However, There are things I greatly enjoyed: the subtlety of a brett smell, the curveball of huge acidity, the unique color.

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

A: A pleasant rosy or raspberry like color. No head. Pretty clear.
S: Some caramel and alcohol. Dill. Pickles. Does not sound like
T: Some alcohol definitely showing through, probably due to very dry character. I could be crazy, but I think I'm sensing some faint butteriness or popcorny flavors. Biting acedic acidity in the aftertaste. Some bitterness there too, maybe from alcohol.
M: Good amount of acid.
O: The biggest flaw a brewery can make when making a sour beer, in my personal opinion, is to make it with too much alcohol. There's a reason why Belgian masters stay at 6% or lower. Any higher and the alcohol will be too noticable. The balance will break. As it has here. It's not horrible. It's just not great. Also, I was told there were blackberries here ... not a hint.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Ah, the my second of the Three Sisters (first being Lolita). Was not expecting to get this one this year, but there she was, staring at me from my favorite bottle shops cooler. Bottled 01/26/12 From a 22oz bottle into my Darkness snifter.

Pours a slightly hazed rose. A touch darker then Lolita, with the same one finger bubbly head that dissipates instantly. The sisters are very good looking beers!

Funk, then a deep hit of blackberries, some sour cherry/green apple, then some of that wonderful wet-hay brett. Yum.

Bam! Like the nose: tart, funky berries, some sour apple, a touch earthy/woody in the finish, sour throughout, lingering funk. The aging on berries in wine barrels really makes this.

So far my favorite part of the sisters has been the mouthfeel, and this holds that standard. Super effervescent, super playful on the tongue. Dry as a bone, the wine barrels to what they should.

Overall this is a very good good wild ale, and (imho) a touch better then her sister Lolita. The blackberries lend a deeper, less tart, flavor that lets the brett and wine barrels come through a bit more. Super drinkable for 8%. I'm intrigued to how these brews do with a year or two on them. Highly recommended if you can get it. Cheers!

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Thanks timmi!!!!

Pours a very murky, cloudy deep amber almost brown color. There is a soda pop like head that fades quick and also tons of small pellet sediment.

Smells sour and earthy, the kind of the smell you get in the produce section of a grocery store. There is an underlying sweetness and a sort of locker room funk to it as well.

The taste is wine forward for sure, there is a tannic bitterness that reminds me of Cabernet. But the fruity black berries really remind me of a Pinot Noir. There is a definite funk in the middle of the taste spectrum accompanied by a sour push that is very balanced. The aftertaste carries a very dry finish and the tannic nature shines through gripping the sides of your tongue.

The mouthfeel leads you to believe that you are drinking sparkling wine, very thin and moderately dry. Carbonation is pretty heavy, but fades quite a bit as the brew warms.

The bomber won't be hard to finish, but this is not something that you would drink more than one of. Moderately low ABV, but it will definitely kill your palate for a while.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a New Belgium goblet.
Note - I am the one who posted a thread based on what I learned at my favorite beer store entitled "GI Juliet Removed?" http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/2031089.

I thought that this may be due to just a story from the distributor, and thanks to all the responses (especially the one from Greg), I'm glad that I hung onto the bottle.

The beer is a translucent, hazy pink that borders on copper. It has a finger-and-a-half white head that dissolves fairly quickly to a white ring. Belgian lace is left along the glass.

The aroma was surprising. A beady malt sent mixed with mild brick cheese and some blackberries. A few sips of the beer reveals white bread early in the swallow, followed by a mixture of blueberries and blackberries with a strong, tart, sour finish.

The mouthfeel was medium with moderate carbonation, and a tart, crisp finish.

This beer is extremely drinkable if you can appreciate sour beers. I had been waiting a long time for this to be bottled - I'm glad that it's finally available.

Juliet from Goose Island Beer Co.