Night Stalker

From:
Goose Island Beer Co.

Illinois, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
JohneHoodlum from Pennsylvania

Jul 28, 2012
superspak from Ohio

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 11/19/2012. Pours dense pitch black color with a 1-2 finger dense dark tan head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice dense soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, caramel, toast, toffee, raisin, plum, licorice, dark bread, light smoke/char, herbal, light pine, and roasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/bready/roasted malt and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with great strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, caramel, toast, toffee, raisin, plum, licorice, dark bread, light smoke/char, herbal, light pine, and roasted earthiness. Light herbal/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, caramel, toffee, toast, raisin, plum, licorice, dark bread, light smoke/char, and herbal/roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity and robustness of dark/bready/roasted malt and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with an awesome roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a smooth, creamy, and lightly slick/chalky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an incredible imperial stout. All around awesome complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/bready/roasted malt and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

Jan 10, 2015
MNishCT77 from District of Columbia

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bottle from a Sat., 12/20/2014 Better Beer Authority Bottle Share (thanks, Zack M.), 2010 vintage (dated "02/19/10 0458"), poured into a BBA snifter glass, drank over 15 minutes

Dec 23, 2014
Zonian1 from Ohio

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottled in 2010. Drank it in March, 2015. Smooth, silky. Molasses, a slight peppery taste on the way down. Very little alcohol noticeable despite the 11.7%. The aging worked wonders on this beer.

Mar 29, 2015
madelfonatree from Ohio

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Night Stalker on May 8, 2015

Look - Oily black. Thin tan head. No lacing. Fine bubbles.

Smell - Whiskey. Vanilla. Chocolate.

Taste - Whiskey. Vanilla and chocolate fade to a tootsie roll like taste. Alcohol is there. Tannin finish.

Palate - Thick and creamy. Carbonation doesn't explode.

Overall - It is going to sound blasphemous but it isn't much different than the barrel aged vanilla Dark Lord I had at DLD.

May 11, 2015
buschbeer from Ohio

4.1/5  rDev -1%

650ml bottle
Served in a snifter
Bottled 11/19/12

This beer is black. It is topped with an inch of tan head with a little lacing.

There is an aroma of dark fruit, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and a hint of anise.

The taste is consistent with the smell. However, an almost burnt taste develops after about half a bottle. There are some intense flavors and may be overwhelming my palate. There is a persistent faded hops taste. It reminds me a little of tea in the background. Then the anise whisks it away.

It is a thick, sticky, viscous brew. Right in my wheelhouse.

This is another hoppy "insert beer style here" beer that I cellared without realizing that it was a hopped up version of the style. It was a good beer regardless, but I bought it within a month of bottling and just got around to drinking two years later. I guess I need quicker turnover and some interns to study all my purchases. I think I'll call my venture Kramerica Industries.

Sep 06, 2014
adrock314 from Pennsylvania

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

22oz bottle dated 3/6/10 served in goblet.

A: Pours nearly black. No light getting through at all. Cappuccino colored head dwindles to a ring of bubbles rather quickly.

S: Very aromatic. A plethora of big roasty scents. Rick chocolate and coffee. Raisins and plums. Even remnants of green hops are present in this nearly 2 year old bottle.

T: Very similar to smell. Starts out with sweet dark fruit up front. Leads into wonderful milk chocolate and some mild coffee. Fleeting hints of bitterness that could actually be more pronounced to add some balance, but I'm assuming this is a function of age. Finishes up silky smooth with some Hershey's syrup-like flavors. Ends up being very rich, but very good.

M: Full. This beer has a lovely viscosity to it. Feel is like velvet. Superb.

O: I really enjoyed this. I would probably take this over Bourbon County any day. Can't remember who sent this to me, but THANK YOU!

Jan 20, 2012
chaz410 from North Carolina

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

I have to thank my friend Michelle to getting me this little bottle of masterpiece!
It pours a deep coal black with a small khaki head.
Smells of cocoa, coffee and molases.
Taste heavy cocoa and mocha. Coffee robust flavor layers over chocolate, dark crystal malt and munich toasted malt. Light hop character interlaced between layer after layer of full bodied chocolate malt.
Mouthfeel is like syrup and silk.
I forced myself to drink the whole pint, not because it was overpowering but because it was so rich!

Apr 13, 2010
seth72104 from Missouri

Nov 15, 2011
plumcrazyfx from Minnesota

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

This thing pours dark as motor oils and looks almost as viscous. The head is huge. It stayed for a loooong time. The smell is very chocolaty with some earthy/coffee smells rounded out with some hoppy bite. The taste is HUGE. And I mean huge for an Imperial Stout. The first sip was like a punch in the tongue. The chocolate and earth were there and then an intense bite of hops and a slightly sour finish. The flavors evolved throughout the drinking with new ones taking over with each sip. This thing almost overwhelms you with the wall of flavor. The mouthfeel is very smooth and just coats with every sip. Drinkability? You better have a friend with you to drink this 22oz bomber. I sat down and drank the thing alone over a 2.5 hour period and it knocked me on my butt (I'm a lightwieght but this thing is not to be trifled with). I really liked this one but I have a feeling this will be even better when it smooths out in a few years.

Sep 03, 2010

Benesi88 from Massachusetts

Nov 08, 2013
Chaney from District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

I bought this bottle in DC back in March and I've really been looking forward to it. I split this one with my wife.

A: Pitch Black with very little head and slight carbonation. Even the froth on this one is dark!

S: Smells like chocolate and Coca-Cola with a slight bitterness in the nose with a touch of carmel.

T: VERY bitter - even the aftertaste cuts like a knife. The chocolate starts to hit hard after a few sips, but the soda taste still remains. I'll definitely give this one credit for not being sugary, sticky, or syrupy. Many have described a fruity undertone, but I'm not getting much at all.

M: Bitterness lingers even a couple of minutes after tasting. If BCBS is considered a sipper, this one is even more so.

D: The bitterness and ABV might be too overwhelming for some and I have to admit that it did start to overstay its welcome a bit.

Overall: If your looking for a RIS with fruit overtones: figs, cherries, dates, etc .... perhaps this is not the most appropriate beer for you. My wife, who likes BCBS, Dark Lord, and just about every Imperial stout she has tried, did not like this one. Since I generally like both Coke and dark bitter chocolate, I dug it!

Aug 21, 2010
jpmclaug from South Carolina

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Pretty excited to try this one. Picked it up at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids during my 4th of July Vacation. Poured into my new Founders snifter

A - Black as night(har har har...) with a brown/tan head

S - This was promised to be a hoppy stout and it sure smells like it. Lots of citrus mixed with your typical stout aromas. Also picking up a bit of heat in this one.

T - Hints of the citrus that I could smell but also lots of dark malts/vanilla/caramel/coffee/dark chocolate flavors that I've come to love in my imperial stouts. A good bit more coffee flavor than I expected. Yummy beer.

M - medium to heavy with a fair amount of carbonation.

D - Easier to drink than you would expect given the nose and ABV on this one. This is a really good beer and I would love to have it again. I would definitely pick it up if I saw it on the shelves again... which will be a while unfortunately.

Jul 12, 2010
lillitnn92 from Virginia

2012 bottle

Nov 20, 2014
Vierenner from Ohio

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Definitely more complex and hoppy than other stouts I've tried. Has an initial sweet taste with other flavors (coffee, smoke, burnt toast) chiming in ... then the hops take over and a bitterness evolves. It is a very good beer, but my preference (at least for now!) is less of the hoppiness.

Dec 10, 2010

2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

Sep 06, 2013
gordavidson from Maryland

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

A- A deep, inky black liquid that has a slow to rise brown head. Looks scary and awesome.

S- Grapefruit, tropical fruits, alcohol, and some dark roasted malts. Very unique and messes with my head by how the aroma is much fruitier than the appearance lead me to believe.

T- Grapefruit, tropical fruits, dark chocolate, alcohol, and a bit of cinnamon. Very strong, but none of the aspects are overbearing.

M- Unbelievably smooth and creamy with a bit of a alcohol-hop bite at the end. Very nice.

D- This would have been much better off in a smaller bottle, but it is damn tasty. Very rich and flavorful. This will age amazingly well.

Apr 12, 2010
MrDanno96 from Ohio

3.55/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. Very little lacing overall.

S: Surprisingly floral hops dominate the aroma. I distinctly smell fresh grapefruit. Hints of chocolate and darker malts are pushed to the very far edges.

T: Lots of tropical hop flavor and pine mix with molasses to dominate the flavor. Feint hints of chocolate and licorice poke through the hops from time to time. This is interesting and different, but in the end I thought it was a little too sweet. It got cloying for me towards the end of my glass.

M: On the heavier side of medium bodied with a mild amount of carbonation. A little sticky and cloying.

D: This one let me down to be honest. It's just too sweet in the end for my tastes. It's an interesting concept - a very hoppy Imperial Stout. In the end, however, it just did not work for me.

Apr 12, 2010
daveytheformer from Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

into a snifter

Pours a deep black with a light brown head that quickly fades to some light spotting.

Aroma is of dark fruits, sweet candy, and a strong hop aroma.

Taste is a little smoky. Chocolate, fruit and a nice coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium to full with great carbonation.

Overall is an amazing beer that I would buy again and again If I could get in Oregon.

May 25, 2011
Keithstone44 from Indiana

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Bottled in August of 2010.

Pours a midnight black, with a 1-finger light tan head that leaves behind considerable lacing.

Smell is of sweet-malt, chocolate and booze.

Taste is very sweet, with note of dark fruit, chocolate, brown sugar, and espresso. The alcohol is barely discernible.

Thick, full-bodied with delicate carbonation, the alcohol warms the throat nicely.

Overall, this is a solid imperial stout that tastes wonderful and is very complex.

Nov 04, 2011
Hopbrizio from California

Jul 13, 2013
Night Stalker from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 92 out of 100 with 1836 ratings