Night Stalker | Goose Island Beer Co.

Night StalkerNight Stalker

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Ratings: 1,822 |  Reviews: 744

3.46/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

on tap into a 14 oz snifter

a: very dark. 1 finger tan head. good retention and lacing.

s: not a ton on the nose, but lots of hops. can smell some vanilla, some heat, some malty roasty character.

t: hoppy up front, then sweet. then alcohol. then and odd funky taste with soy sauce.

m: creamy, medium carbonation and a little sticky.

o: a beer than I've heard is best after a year. I plan to let my bomber age. I did not care for this beer fresh. heard rumors it's infected... I doubt it really is but it just is a very unique taste that isn't for everybody.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

I love almost every thing ive ever had form goose island and being from Chicago maybe im a little biased but I had a bottle of the supposed bad batch but to tell the truth it taste good and got the desired affect i was looking for so theres no bad review from this satisfied customer.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

1.12/5  rDev -72.5%

Was really hoping I got a good bottle. Did not happen as the smell was very much like the worst thing you could smell when expecting an imperial stout. While I cant fully explain what comes out in the aroma, the taste is all teriyaki and soy sauce. I contacted goose island with my bottle date and time stamp just so they could try and limit the people that wasted over 10 dollars on this and instead of letting me know that they were looking into this, they sent me a generic letter saying how they used different hops and it brought on a different taste from years past. They did not go on to explain why people who have tried multiple bottles from this years batch have tasted two really different beers. I would have felt better had they not emailed me a response back at all.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Thank you Steasy66 for yet another killer beer! Bottled 2/6/11.

Appearance. Pours thick and black with almost a finger of tan head.

Smell. Big citrusy hops and dark chocolate. There's some dark roasty malts as well but the hops and chocolate are the big players here.

Taste. Oranges and plenty of dark chocolate give way to some roasty malts and a little coffee and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel. On the low side of full bodied with medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Interesting beer with lots of flavour and big hops, even with some age. Very nice but would imagine the hops might be a bit much when fresh and in full force. This bottle was very tasty though.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

2.3/5  rDev -43.6%

Now it all makes sense.

I bought this bottled last week at Whole Foods in Columbus Circle in NYC along with Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout and the a 4-pack of the amazingness that is Founders Breakfast Stout. I had seen that Night Stalker was highly-rated on this site. As I do with many beers, I purchased it with no pre-research so that my taste/opinions of the beer remain unbiased.

Had a ROUGH hump-day at work and decided: instead of a snack/desert, tonight was the night for 22 ounces of 11.5% alcohol deliciousness. I headed straight for the Night Stalker bottle in my foyer.

I popped it open and poured. Jet black. The head took a few seconds to form but once it did it looked lovely: dark tan 2 finger head with rising carbonation. Lacing and it receded at about the rate that you would expect from an imperial stout.

Here's where the trouble began: I took a big whiff of it. Oh boy. Oh no. My first though: it's just an extra hoppy stout. Smell again: oh no, this smells infected.

I tasted it: ugh. But this is not the worst infection ever. The booze does a good enough job of concealing it. But there remains little actual taste. It's basically just sour, alcohol, hops, and hints of what could be: malty earth and chocolate (maybe I just really need a beer).

I sign on to Beer Advocate: lo and behold there's a problem with my batch. This leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth ;)

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a bomber into a Grey Sail pint glass. The "infected" batch.

Appearance- Blacker than black with thin mocha head that went very quick. No lacing.

Smell- Coffee. Bakers chocolate. Chocolate malts. Light hoppy notes. No booze. Very nice RIS smell.

Taste- Citrus hops up front, then tons of coffee. Lingering chocolate and coffee notes. Sweet chocolate malts. Great lingering tastes. Very mild booze comes through.

Mouthfeel- Smooth with mild carbonation. Not overly thick. A little sticky. Some warmth at the back of the throat. Could be a bit fuller in body.

Overall- This is a nice impy stout from Goose Island. Good thing mine wasn't "infected".

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This bottle was of the controversial 11/19/12 batch

Upon opening and pouring into an oversized wine glass, I did notice the ester/lacquer/nail polish aroma, so I decided to let it sit for about five minute, swirling it every so often as to open it up. I have to say, it helped tremendously with the scent.

Aroma is not as sharp and inviting as the majority of Impy stouts I have tried. This beer is very 'green' and would do with sitting and maturing for a little while, just to mellow out the aggressive hops and overly sweet notes

That being said, I do believe this beer has potential, thus the fair grade for a beer I didn't get to enjoy Immediately and have to wait before it is truly enjoyable.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle poured into a Goose Island Chalice.

The beer pours a lovely jet black color, thick and fairly viscous in texture from the bottle, a thin, fizzy, caramel colored head appears briefly with poor retention and leaves behind no lacing. The aroma is peculiar, burnt, roast coffee, a touch of charred malt and rich chocolate with a bright bitter citrus layer, comes across a bit like a chocolate covered orange, but still a bit muddled and the balance is a bit rough. The flavors are just as interesting, lots of citrus and floral, hoppy notes straight away with lingering chocolate, a touch of coffee roast and toasted malt with just a bit of lingering stone fruit at the end. The flavors are much more cohesive than the nose, but I’m still not convinced the hoppy stout is a pleasurable style. The body is fairly rich, but a little light for an imperial stout, higher than average carbonation with a very dry finish.

Verdict: A interesting Imperial Stout from Goose Island, the hoppy, citrus elements feel a bit clunky and the cohesion is a bit lacking. Certainly an interesting experiment, but not one I’m interesting in seeking out again.

Night Stalker from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 4.08 out of 5 with 1,822 ratings