Night Stalker | Goose Island Beer Co.

Night StalkerNight Stalker

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Ratings: 1,826 |  Reviews: 744

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

3.46/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

on tap into a 14 oz snifter

a: very dark. 1 finger tan head. good retention and lacing.

s: not a ton on the nose, but lots of hops. can smell some vanilla, some heat, some malty roasty character.

t: hoppy up front, then sweet. then alcohol. then and odd funky taste with soy sauce.

m: creamy, medium carbonation and a little sticky.

o: a beer than I've heard is best after a year. I plan to let my bomber age. I did not care for this beer fresh. heard rumors it's infected... I doubt it really is but it just is a very unique taste that isn't for everybody.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

I love almost every thing ive ever had form goose island and being from Chicago maybe im a little biased but I had a bottle of the supposed bad batch but to tell the truth it taste good and got the desired affect i was looking for so theres no bad review from this satisfied customer.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

1.12/5  rDev -72.5%

Was really hoping I got a good bottle. Did not happen as the smell was very much like the worst thing you could smell when expecting an imperial stout. While I cant fully explain what comes out in the aroma, the taste is all teriyaki and soy sauce. I contacted goose island with my bottle date and time stamp just so they could try and limit the people that wasted over 10 dollars on this and instead of letting me know that they were looking into this, they sent me a generic letter saying how they used different hops and it brought on a different taste from years past. They did not go on to explain why people who have tried multiple bottles from this years batch have tasted two really different beers. I would have felt better had they not emailed me a response back at all.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Thank you Steasy66 for yet another killer beer! Bottled 2/6/11.

Appearance. Pours thick and black with almost a finger of tan head.

Smell. Big citrusy hops and dark chocolate. There's some dark roasty malts as well but the hops and chocolate are the big players here.

Taste. Oranges and plenty of dark chocolate give way to some roasty malts and a little coffee and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel. On the low side of full bodied with medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Interesting beer with lots of flavour and big hops, even with some age. Very nice but would imagine the hops might be a bit much when fresh and in full force. This bottle was very tasty though.

2.3/5  rDev -43.6%

Now it all makes sense.

I bought this bottled last week at Whole Foods in Columbus Circle in NYC along with Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout and the a 4-pack of the amazingness that is Founders Breakfast Stout. I had seen that Night Stalker was highly-rated on this site. As I do with many beers, I purchased it with no pre-research so that my taste/opinions of the beer remain unbiased.

Had a ROUGH hump-day at work and decided: instead of a snack/desert, tonight was the night for 22 ounces of 11.5% alcohol deliciousness. I headed straight for the Night Stalker bottle in my foyer.

I popped it open and poured. Jet black. The head took a few seconds to form but once it did it looked lovely: dark tan 2 finger head with rising carbonation. Lacing and it receded at about the rate that you would expect from an imperial stout.

Here's where the trouble began: I took a big whiff of it. Oh boy. Oh no. My first though: it's just an extra hoppy stout. Smell again: oh no, this smells infected.

I tasted it: ugh. But this is not the worst infection ever. The booze does a good enough job of concealing it. But there remains little actual taste. It's basically just sour, alcohol, hops, and hints of what could be: malty earth and chocolate (maybe I just really need a beer).

I sign on to Beer Advocate: lo and behold there's a problem with my batch. This leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth ;)

Night Stalker from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 4.08 out of 5 with 1,826 ratings