Sofie | Goose Island Beer Co.

SofieSofie

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

80% Belgian Style Ale, 20% Belgian Style Ale aged in wine barrels with citrus peel. Champagne color, white pepper aroma, citrus & vanilla flavor, sparkling body.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-29-2009

Reviews: 1,082 | Ratings: 4,427
Reviews by OleJohnnieAle:
4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Great color and nice finger head that reduced quickly to a nice collar.

S: Very floral fragrance with a nice citrus scent.

T: Nice mix of flavors, some spicy flavors up from blend with the sweet and tart flavors on the back side. Almost a green apple note with some orange peels.

M: Very good carbonation and a crisp tartness to the beer.

O: I really enjoyed this beer, want to pick up an extra couple bottles to age.

I poured from a 12 oz bottle (from a 4-pack) that was less than a month old. The beer had a very nice color. The aroma was very subtle. The taste was very sophisticated and elegant. Overall a very refined beer!

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

Drank while on the crapper. My first beer from G.I. Bright clean aroma, with crisp notes of white grapes and tropical fruit. Refreshing vinous taste similar to gruner veltliner. Slightly bretty with notes of bubblegum and tart kiwi. Well carbonated. I'm not generally a saison/farmhouse drinker but I found this to be a satisfying brew. If someone put one in my hands, I wouldnt turn it down.

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pale gold color with a minimal head that dissipated quickly. Slightly hazy. Smells of yeast, straw, fruity esters, apple, gives the impression it might even have a hint of tartness. Taste is heavy on Belgian yeast, pear, crisp apple, followed by vanilla, oaky character. Dry, almost cider-like mouthfeel. Such a great beer, and the price makes it hard to pass up.

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Holy Wisdom! Divine inspiration in a glass. Rivals Hennepin on all counts. Not sure it surpasses Hennepin. This calls for multiple side by side comparison tastings. How will I handle the pressure?

Pours cloudy with a full figured head and some retention. Citrus and yeast on the nose. Some Bret but nuanced and done with a light hand. No barnyard effect. Definitely one to keep in rotation. Best I've had from Goose Island.

2.28/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Biased towards pales, so not wild about this one. Sharp fruity taste lingers unnecessarily long on the tongue. Not much body, but you can definitely taste the slightly higher ABV. Wheat aroma.

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at Jake's Billiards.Poured into a goblet a slight hazed lemon/strw color with a bone white head.Aromas are yeasty but not overly phenolic with a burst of citrusy lemon.Flavors of light spiced phenols and mild dough,lemon brings bright and even sharpness in the finish.The phenols are kept in check pretty well and the citrus flavors are nice if a bit sharp in the finish,not bad.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I loved Matilda so I thought that by all the great reviews that I'd love Sofie since I love me some Belgian style beers. I was very confused by this beer. I poured it into a glass and the beer looked incredibly light looking, I tasted the beer and it tasted incredibly light (like watered down), and thus I was disappointed. I bought a 4 pack so I'll definitely be drinking it all but I'm not a fan of this one. Their beer called Matilda on the other hand was awesome. I'm not sure if they encourage aging this beer but that's what I'll be doing since as it is, it just isn't special. Maybe with time it gets better? idk.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

The bottle presentation of this beer is incredible. Very nice label.

Looks almost clear pouring from the bottle, but turns out to be a light straw color with some haze and a thin, bubbly white head.

The aroma and taste of this beer are both subtle. The aroma is of citrus zest, pineapple, pear, clove, mildly funky yeast, and something Champagne-like.

The taste is of mild orange and lemon zest, peppery hops, and it has a slight bit of funk to the yeast. The hops are a suprising bonus in the dry Champagne-ish finish, which works well with the brisk carbonation. I would say this is a toned-down, less banana-y Tripel, if I had to guess. Saison would have to be my second guess, even though it doesn't really have the heat presence a lot of Tripels tend to have.

Very good now, I'm thinking that a few years to soften this out, could make it outstanding.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sofie from Goose Island Beer Co.