Madame Rose Belgian Style Wild Ale | Goose Island Beer Co.

Madame Rose Belgian Style Wild AleMadame Rose Belgian Style Wild Ale

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Brown Ale aged in French oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels with the addition of Michigan cherries and heavily inoculated with Brettanomyces.

Added by botham on 08-19-2009

4.1

Ratings: 1,307 |  Reviews: 248
3.07/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark brown color and leaves the same colored body with no head whatsoever and barely any lacing. Though what lacing is there is very thin and doesn’t stick as it just slides. The smell is extremely vinegary and vinous, sturdy acidity, some lactic. The taste is extremely sour and tart and super hard to put down my throat. The aftertaste is extremely vinous and has an extremely dry vinous finish. On the palate, its between light to medium on the body. This thing defines harshness. Overall, for a Flanders Oud Bruin it works, but honestly, it's a hard one to make a session out of.

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into tulip glass 2016 version.

A: Pretty aggressive pour yielded a fairly small tiny bubbled off white head that disappeared quickly. Body is a deep rich red in color bordering on caramel with great clarity.

S: Lots of cherries smells like it will be sour, light oak, some wine grapes, slight vinegar, green apple.

T: Lots of cherry oak tannens nice carbonation sour but not overwhelming. Cherries really shine and play well with the oak from the wine barrels.

M: Prickly carbonation slightly dry finish very clean.

O: This is a great wild ale, I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had purchased a 2015-vintage bottle at Monde Market in Philadelphia a while back & set it aside for a special occasion. Yesterday was 4-20 Day, 2017 & my mother, who owns my childhood home at 420 W Walnut Street consented to have her brother (my uncle) & I over for some beers. They were not huge fans of this one, so I brought the remainder home for a review.

From the bottle: "A wild ale aged in wine barrels with cherries, alluring layers of sour cherry, spice and wood"; "Develops in the bottle over 5 years. Contains live yeast. A sediment may form."

I had very gently Pop!ped off the cap yesterday so as to keep it for a local artist whose medium is bottle caps, thus allowing it to be resealed overnight. I prised the cap back off and began a very gentle pour so as not to rouse any lees which may have settled on the punt. Once decanted, an in-glass swirl raised a very brief finger of soapy, light-tan head which seemed anxious to return to wisps. Color was a lightly-hazy Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown ((SRM = > 27, < 34), but closer to 27. Nose smelt not of elderberries, but of sour cherries and a woodenness, probably of oak, but I am not an expert on such things. It had a vinous quality, reminiscent of my uncle's Montmorency Cherry homemade wine. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was initially just sour cherry and wood, but as it warmed, I got a spicy earthiness, not cinnamon, but close. Cardamom? Coriander? I could not directly identify it, but it was there. The finish once more evinced a load of sour cherry and this was definitely to my liking.

In fact, I was starting to get a breadiness coming into the picture, reminding me of a Semester Final in Foods 2 during high school. We had been instructed in baking & we were to develop our own recipe as a final project. I somehow hit upon the idea of sour cherries in brown bread & the smell coming from the oven was heavenly! It was a bit tart/sour for some, but I liked it, as did some of my teachers who came down to try our creations. I never made it since & only now had occasion to even think of it. [sighs wistfully]

I have said before that, as a self-avowed, self-described hophead, the beers are not my forte, but that does not mean that I cannot enjoy them for their art & craft. This was a very pleasant interlude & worth revisiting, although in a different vintage.

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I typically like sour ales, but only when I'm expecting them. And I think I prefer them on the fruitier side. This one falls more on the salty/sour olive spectrum like someone else said below. I had this by itself so there was nothing to tamp down or moderate the flavor. Glad tired it but not something I'll go back to often.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Tasted in a 10 oz snifter from draught at Firkin on February 10, 2017. Look is dark ruby red with a thin head and little lacing. Smell and taste is sour cherry with some nutty notes. Feel is medium in body.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 765 ml corked bottle into a stemmed tulip.

Appearance: Color is crimson/amber. Moderate amount of bubbles and a slight finger of off white head that quickly fades away.

Smell: A sour and fruity Belgian style aroma with a scent of tart cherries, funk, and spice. Belgian yeast with a good scent of pepper. Big scent of funk. Tart scent of cherries along with some oak and wood hints. More fruit hints of berries, green apple, and grapes. Malt hints of wheat, grains, and toast. Nice hints of tobacco. A really nice complex aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, and sour and fruity Belgian Kriek style taste with notes of cherries, yeasty funk, and spice. Big tart and sour taste of cherries. Good notes of oak and wood. Belgian yeast with some pepper notes. Lots of farmhouse funk. More fruit notes with some berries, green apple, and grapes. Malt notes of wheat, grains, and toast. Also some tobacco. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Crisp, tart, and drying.

Overall: A really good fruity sour. Great tart cherry flavor with good funk.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

4.49/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.55/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz draft pour into a snifter boasts a nice light mahogany colored body and no head of any color.

Odor, just as previously described, is barnyard, vinegar, and citrus, with faint oak barrel.
Flavors match especially the citrus stringency.
At first sip the mouth feels like it is going to dry up, then comes the saliva on strong.

Beautiful looking, needs some suds, but this is just not for me, certainly not at this price point.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap back to back with Juliet. More funky, fruity, sour, and overall tastier than Juliet. Pours a gorgeous reddish-brown with a slight head that lingers. Very nice.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm trying to get into sours more because I don't like them that much. I typically find them too astringent. This beer has a good depth and was a good accompaniment to my pizza. The taste is sour salty olives. Again, great with pizza, not really something I want to drink often. Glad tired it but not something I'll go back to often.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a light mahogany color with a small off-colored head that dissipates like soda.

Aroma is of barnyard, baking soda, vinegar, cherries, beef jerky, and a fruity generic citrus.

Taste is complex and evolving with each sip. Lots of bright citrus with a vinegary twang. Lots of funk and very sour. Pickled, salty cherries dominate the core flavor. A meaty taste is present; again, similar to that of beef jerky. The beer is missing a bit of sweetness.

Overall, this is one of the better sours by GI. I see it pairing well with crispy seared duck with an orange glaze. It gets a 81/100.

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.11/5  rDev -24.1%

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Madame Rose Belgian Style Wild Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.