Goose Green Line Pale Ale | Goose Island Beer Co.

good
Goose Green Line Pale AleGoose Green Line Pale Ale

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Honey color, bright American hop aroma, citrus flavor, light crisp body.

Added by emerge077 on 02-09-2010

Reviews: 173 | Ratings: 1,085
3.25/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Fine for what it is, which is a craft beer for the populist crowd. There are no standout flavors but nothing is "off", it's a nice option to have when you want something easy but a step above macro.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma was similar to a lager - bready with some slight hop notes coming through. Taste was light and sweet, hoppy with some fizzy carbonation (a bit too much carb imo.) I am assuming they used a British Ale yeast for this cuz there was a little butterscotch note on the middle tongue. Herbal/earthy hops bittering, a thin malt backbone with some hops on the finish. Reminds me of Goose Island IPA Light. Reminded me of a London Pride with a bit less maltiness. Overall a decent pale ale.

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A - foamy white head. No lacing. Urine sample yellow. A lot of floating goobers. 2.75

S - sweet. Hoppy straw and sugary breads. 3.25

T - astringent and aluminum despite coming from a bottle. Adjunct ale off flavors. 2.5

M - fizzy and wet tiny amounts of malty sleekness. 3

D - overall so so. Good ice cold on an unusually hot Oct day. 3

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Fabulous golden pilsner color with 100% clarity. Head is tall in the pilsner glass at 4 fingers, and recedes slowly.

Aromas of stale baked bread, dry grains, light toffee, river water, and a touch of citrus.

Flavor is rather harsh, like dipping a cantaloupe in worshesterchire sauce. Dull pine stabs, melon rinds, burnt toffee without the sugar, and a citrus aftertaste. None of it is fresh, it's all really old tasting.

Feel is wet, refreshing, and crisp. Semi-dry finish. A touch overcarbonated.

Overall, a rather terrible beer. I won't have it again, and neither should you.

4.04/5  rDev +13.2%

I do not recall where I picked this up for The CANQuest (tm), but I clearly got two (2) of them, one for myself & one for my local, in-person trader, tone77. I first had this on-tap back in August 2012 when it was first released as draft-only, but I am eCANstatic about being able to add it to The CANQuest (tm)!

From the CAN: "Hop on board"; "We don't need to be the ONLY beer you drink[,] we just want to be the best beer you drink."

I just want to be the next beer that I drink, beginning with the Crack! Nothing untoward or remarkable happened, but given that it was CANother 16-fl. oz. CAN, a gentle Glug seemed to be in order. This resulted in a finger of dense, tawny head that sat there & glared at me, defying me to do anything. I decided to measure its color, which I gauged as Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a faint grapefruit bitterness and a light biscuitiness. I was ready to hop on board with my first sip! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was aligned to what I think an APA ought to be, unlike one from the other night that was wildly overhopped for the style. It had a pleasant grapefruit bitterness which was not over the top and held in check by both a light underlying grassiness & a biscuity-crackery maltiness. No wonder I quaffed several of these at Union Station a few years ago, when it was first released! It has a relatively low-ABV, making it that much more drinkable. I could really go for several of these on a hot, humid summer day. Finish was dry, but not overly bitter. It managed to CANbine its hops and malts in such a way as to not overshadow one or the other. I CAN see myself filling a cooler with twelve of these & twelve of their Four Star Pils along with some ice as well as cheese & crackers from Binny's & either riding around on the CTA (until they catch up with me) or heading over to the Lake MichiCAN shoreline for the afternoon. Man, I love visiting Chicago, even if only in my mind.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle with a bottling date of 30 June 2016, served in a lager glass in Sept. 2016.

Orangish-amber body is clear; plenty of carbonation bubbles rising to a moderate size, off-white head that has very good retention. Patterned lacing.

Aroma: mild but surprisingly complex. Hops.with fruity and herbal notes.
Flavor: a bit more hoppy than malty. Good balance. Ample flavor for style.

Feel: near medium body; medium-high carbonation.

Overall: a solid, above average APA.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Bought 6-pack from Don Quiojte $7.77
Clear golden color
Light mouthfeel
Medium carbonation
Malt taste with slight bitterness from hops
Overall a decent beer, but not really a craft type. Would not buy again.

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

There is something about this beer that reminds me of a macro. Hate to put it in those terms, but there it is. The malts come across a little sweet, the hops a little low. Not my fav.

Update. Well crap! I had no memory of this forgettable beer, so when I saw a new pale ale, I thought let's give it a go. I recently enjoyed a couple new pale ales, maybe Goose will join them. Well, it's not new and it's not enjoyable, and this time I got a 6 pack so I will be stuck with it.

I am pretty underwhelmed with smell, and taste suffers from lack of bitterness. The malts end up being too sweet. Not a candylike crystal sweet, but sweet nonetheless. The beer promises toasted malts explicitly (says so on the bottle) and hops implicitly (green line, pale ale), but it does not deliver on either count.

2.82/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, golden color with a light, wispy, foamy head with minimal retention. Tons of bubbles.

Aromas are very lager-like. Strong toasty, cracker, biscuit, and sweet malt notes. Really not getting any hops besides maybe some very mild lemon undertones.

Taste matches aromas almost exactly. Mostly malt flavors, again with maybe the slightest hint of lemon. Almost nothing in the way of hops or bitterness.

Light body, smooth, somewhat crisp with good carbonation at the beginning, but carbonation fades quickly.

Overall, I thought this was almost lager-like rather than a pale ale. It really didn't have any hop flavors or bitterness that I look for in a pale ale. With an IBU rating of 30 I guess you can't expect much. Honestly, it felt like I was drinking a Bud Light, and with so many other great pale ales out there I don't think I'll revisit this one.

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L: Gold-yellow, citrus orange, very clear, not much head
S: Sweet malty, classic lager smell
T: Paleee beer, sweet malts, no hops
F: Crisp, carbonated, a bit hard

2.92/5  rDev -18.2%

L - Golden with clarity, minor head and lacing

S - lemon and floral notes, but not a strong aroma

T - Light citrus flavor, but not much going on here

F - Mild carbonation

O - An average pale ale

This review covers the 4% abv version currently allowed to be sold cold in grocery stores in Oklahoma. (The full strength version may be available in Liquor stores at room temp--I'll have to check.) Pours to a generous and lasting white head that laces well. Lager-like light gold color. Aroma is citrus and grass and lightly toasted grains. Flavor is a soft balance of crackery grains, clean pilsner like malt and a soft, easy balancing hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Overall an APA that has balance and is clean and almost lager-like. It's the best thing on the shelf in the "low-point" market that is called an APA right now. The flavors are there, It would taste much richer if it were full strength.

Come on Oklahoma voters, let's pass that constitutional referendum this November so we can have cold full strength beer in grocery/convenience stores!

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap, pours a slightly cloudy pale orange to straw color. Smell is of citrus peel, light grains and slight sulfur. Taste of citrus, and light bread/crackers. It is refreshing but lacks a hoppy bite that I expected it to have. None the less it was refreshing and easy drinking, almost lager like. Light body.

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden with a thin white head.

Smell: Light hops and Malts.

Mouthfeel/ Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of bitter hops and toasted Malts.

Overall: Not really very good in my opinion. I felt like it was not very flavorful, and too much toasted Malts for an ale.

4.25/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 OZ can into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear light golden color with a medium sized white head. The aroma is citrus driven with some malt. The taste is pure citrus with some toasted malt. A nice example of an American Pale Ale.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

12 oz can out on a golf course. I had this right after Goose Island Four Star Pils, and surprisingly, I wasn't tasting a huge difference. Well balanced, with a little citrus happiness coming through.

3.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a single from TW Arrowhead in early April for $1.99. Bottled on 03/24/2016.

Beer poured orange with an OK white head on the initial pour.

Nose has hints of citrus.

Taste is a nice combo of pale malts with a light citrus hop.

Feel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall a pretty solid session brew that is worth a shot.

3.77/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a standard pint glass
Clear gold in color, with a nice two-inch cap of bone-white foam
Aroma-Subtle citrus hop
Taste-Pale malt, faint earthy, herbal hop notes, light bodied and refreshing.
Crisp finish. Pleasant crowd-pleasrer.

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

L-Golden colored

S-Some lemon rind, english like biscuit malts. Some floral notes

T-Biscuit malt, zesty sharp unsweetened citrus, a bit herbal on the finish.

F-Definitely plenty of carbonation. Medium bodied

O-Not a big fan of how this all comes together or the hop flavors. Seems english with the biscuity malt but the hop flavors add little excitement. Would struggle to session this as it just doesn't do much for me taste wise.

2.89/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Clean and clear golden in the glass, minimal white head. Taste is heavy copper with a kind of syrup to it. Not a big fan, especially as a pale ale. Don't taste fresh hops, overall too heavy.

3.57/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange color. Crisp and clear with a decent white head but almost no retention whatsoever. Smell has aromas of citrus, heavy on the orange and orange rind, with a malt backbone present in the aroma. Taste follows the nose with a nice balance of citrusy hops and a solid malt backbone. Citrus is heavy on the orange and lemon zest flavors. Malts are rather bready with some hard crusted bread notes. Feel had medium carbonation, refreshing. Overall a solidly average APA. Nothing to seek out, but if its the option, you'll be satisfied.

3.56/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Extremely drinkable. Slightly darker than a lager. Super subtle smell and taste, but without that funky lager taste. Kind of like an IPA with the hops turned WAY down. Not super complex, but I really like it.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This reminds me of a BMC pilsner style beer (Bud light, Miller, Coors). That's my first initial impression, BUT it is the best BMC beer I've had? Is that a consolation? This beer is very mellow and subdued in flavor. It is very light and would be perfect for summer drinking. Honestly, I haven't drank any Macro brewery beers in YEARS. It has been such a long time since I've had a BMC beer, but I do remember the taste. Imagine a nasty BMC beer but instead of that disgusting corn note, you substitute that for a pleasant hop taste. This does have a malty backbone. I think its the malt that reminds me of BMC but it isn't quite that corn taste. Its like a roasted grain note. It blends well with the hops in my opinion.

So you have a beer that is liquid, a thirst quencher, with a light hop presence. It is low in bitters but this beer is hoppy. The more I take sips of it, the more I like it. It won't be on my top 20 "favorite beers of all time" that's for sure but this beer should substitute all of the crap macro beers that exist. That's about 95% of them.

I wouldn't take this review score of mine as a negative because this is about as high of a score a beer like this could ever get from me. I think this is a great summer beer and perfect for those people trying to make the transition from the crap Macro beer world into the glorious beer world.

A: Darker gold with medium head
S: Citrusy, not very hoppy
T: Citrusy, not very hoppy
F: Average carbonation
O: An American IPA that could use a lot more hops. Inoffensive and drinkable, but weak compared to other readily available IPAs. Typical of Goose Island in that it's drinkable but disappointing.

3.02/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark golden color, with a lot of visible carbonation and a large head. Good head retention.

Smells of herbal spices and sprightly skanky hops.

Taste is more pleasant than the small, mostly due to its subtler nature. Although, the smell is mirrored by the taste.

Mouthfeel is light, with surprisingly low-key carbonation. The mouth feel is by far the strongsuit

Goose Green Line Pale Ale from Goose Island Beer Co.